Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! 09:15 - Apr 28 with 2900 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Keep going the way things are and 29,000 is just not big enough. When successful, this club would have no trouble filling 40-45,000.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:21 - Apr 28 with 2556 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Average attendance in the Premier League is about 38,000. If we can get to 35k with a new Cobbold, we'll be in a good place.

But given the room behind the SAR and the Magnus, those are the two most likely to be redeveloped into a Kop style stand for me.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:27 - Apr 28 with 2501 viewsCityBlue

Aspiration is for a single tier addition that extends current upper tier of Cobbold out and over existing Portman Road - that is subject to a permanent closure as is.
Implications and queries surrounding any potential development on old cattle market car park.
As seen at Anfield, this type of build can be useful in minimizing impact to current attendances whilst in progress.
Other factors: Existing wiring, underpinning, drainage. Clear of residential properties so no implications anticipated there.
This would increase capacity to circa 38,000 which would be deemed minimum for an EPL team and well within the clubs potential fanbase.
Next query relates to resiting the away section with options for SAR upper section 3 and lower section 6. The Bobby Robson Suite does not extend behind Section 6 so that isn't a factor. Simple segregaionm walls installed that do not impact fire safety regs and allow flexibility of capacity increases dependent upon opponent.

I T I D

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:28 - Apr 28 with 2481 viewsJackSted

Last time we did this we got relegated and went into administration

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:29 - Apr 28 with 2452 viewsxrayspecs

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:27 - Apr 28 by CityBlue

Aspiration is for a single tier addition that extends current upper tier of Cobbold out and over existing Portman Road - that is subject to a permanent closure as is.
Implications and queries surrounding any potential development on old cattle market car park.
As seen at Anfield, this type of build can be useful in minimizing impact to current attendances whilst in progress.
Other factors: Existing wiring, underpinning, drainage. Clear of residential properties so no implications anticipated there.
This would increase capacity to circa 38,000 which would be deemed minimum for an EPL team and well within the clubs potential fanbase.
Next query relates to resiting the away section with options for SAR upper section 3 and lower section 6. The Bobby Robson Suite does not extend behind Section 6 so that isn't a factor. Simple segregaionm walls installed that do not impact fire safety regs and allow flexibility of capacity increases dependent upon opponent.

The current Cobbold stand is so out of date that you will be better off raising it to the ground and starting again.
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:29 - Apr 28 with 2451 viewsTractorWood

Good to see we've learnt our lesson on this.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:31 - Apr 28 with 2434 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:29 - Apr 28 by TractorWood

Good to see we've learnt our lesson on this.

Entirely different set of circumstances.

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:33 - Apr 28 with 2412 viewsCityBlue

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:29 - Apr 28 by xrayspecs

The current Cobbold stand is so out of date that you will be better off raising it to the ground and starting again.

The infrastructure may be but these modern designs sit on their own footings and link seamlessly with existing stadia. Refurb would be a cost effective option for the current area.

I T I D

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:35 - Apr 28 with 2398 viewsclive_baker

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:21 - Apr 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Average attendance in the Premier League is about 38,000. If we can get to 35k with a new Cobbold, we'll be in a good place.

But given the room behind the SAR and the Magnus, those are the two most likely to be redeveloped into a Kop style stand for me.

35,000 is perfectly sufficient. While we've seen plenty of sell outs this season, it's rare that they've sold out quite so early, and with such excess demand. That indicates demand isn't a huge amount more than the capacity (Saturday aside, which is obviously a rare occasion with promotion riding on it).

AMEX and St Mary's hold 32,000 for example, I think if you've got a ground with a capacity of 35k you're well set for the Premier League for a club the size of Ipswich. It could be a lot worse though, 30k isn't a bad capacity at Championship level and increasing that feels like a nice to have rather than a need to have right now.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:49 - Apr 28 with 2298 viewsxrayspecs

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:33 - Apr 28 by CityBlue

The infrastructure may be but these modern designs sit on their own footings and link seamlessly with existing stadia. Refurb would be a cost effective option for the current area.

I have been in Cobbold a few times in recent year and the facilities/concourse space/leg room is very poor compared to modern stadium. I cannot see a refurb making too much difference.
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:51 - Apr 28 with 2285 viewsportmanroadblue

Refurb Cobbold and Magnus stands and look at safe standing on all 4 lower tiers should raise the capacity and reduce construction costs.
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:53 - Apr 28 with 2258 viewsSomethingBlue

35k max for me — these are the good times, and there may well be a few more years of this around the corner if the current trajectory is maintained, but we know very well that football is cyclical for clubs of our size and the days of 14k rattling around in there will return at some point. 35k would pretty much prepare us for all eventualities: a decent stint in the Prem and/or a spell competing in the Champ, while not looking ridiculous next time things go t6ts up.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 9:54]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:55 - Apr 28 with 2239 viewscatch74

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:35 - Apr 28 by clive_baker

35,000 is perfectly sufficient. While we've seen plenty of sell outs this season, it's rare that they've sold out quite so early, and with such excess demand. That indicates demand isn't a huge amount more than the capacity (Saturday aside, which is obviously a rare occasion with promotion riding on it).

AMEX and St Mary's hold 32,000 for example, I think if you've got a ground with a capacity of 35k you're well set for the Premier League for a club the size of Ipswich. It could be a lot worse though, 30k isn't a bad capacity at Championship level and increasing that feels like a nice to have rather than a need to have right now.

Just had a look at average attendances. Premier League is averaging 40 000 for the first time ever. Villa the only club not within 1000 of their capacity but very close to this. This includes Bournemouth c 10 000 capacity. This suggests there’s room for bigger stands at more or less all Premier League clubs.
Championship average is 18 000 - obviously hampered by more smaller grounds, but most are well below their capacity - Sunderland doing well holds about 49 000 average 38 000, Middlesbrough 8000 below. I imagine away attendance is a big difference to v Premier league.
From that, it’s important to get to the Premier league and stay there, which are surely the clubs aspirations - then 40 - 45 000 would be a good size and highly likely to fill.
The issue is, getting to the top division and staying there. Leicester are a great example.
It’s such a balancing act but having been to the Charlton game a packed and vociferous home crowd is a big weapon.
Hopefully we don’t try and go too big too soon, I have every faith in Gamechanger.

I imagine the point the op is making is that we seem to be a different beast to most clubs in the Championship. I think our IFollow stats are fascinating and do show a big hunger for the club.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:58 - Apr 28 with 2203 viewsdavblue

an extra 10 to 15 thousand is a massive step up. Im not convinced we would fill that up week in week out except when we are having a really good season.

Don't forget we weren't selling out that often even at the start of the season and i would call all of the fans who have jumped on the band wagon 'Hardcore' supporters who will follow us if we were having an average season.

There are too many casual fans to make a 40-45 thousand stand. 35 thousand would probably be more appropriate but even then i don't think we would fill it in week in week out.

I might be very wrong on this but i can't see it.
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:02 - Apr 28 with 2145 viewsclive_baker

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:55 - Apr 28 by catch74

Just had a look at average attendances. Premier League is averaging 40 000 for the first time ever. Villa the only club not within 1000 of their capacity but very close to this. This includes Bournemouth c 10 000 capacity. This suggests there’s room for bigger stands at more or less all Premier League clubs.
Championship average is 18 000 - obviously hampered by more smaller grounds, but most are well below their capacity - Sunderland doing well holds about 49 000 average 38 000, Middlesbrough 8000 below. I imagine away attendance is a big difference to v Premier league.
From that, it’s important to get to the Premier league and stay there, which are surely the clubs aspirations - then 40 - 45 000 would be a good size and highly likely to fill.
The issue is, getting to the top division and staying there. Leicester are a great example.
It’s such a balancing act but having been to the Charlton game a packed and vociferous home crowd is a big weapon.
Hopefully we don’t try and go too big too soon, I have every faith in Gamechanger.

I imagine the point the op is making is that we seem to be a different beast to most clubs in the Championship. I think our IFollow stats are fascinating and do show a big hunger for the club.

There would certainly be occasions that we could fill 40,000, but we would need to get very comfortable that there enough of such occasions to make it worthwhile.

Ultimately it comes down to the payback and the frequency of those occasions. If we had a 35,000 capacity now we would fill it tomorrow, we might've added another couple of thousand to a few other games this season too. If we could reliably prove that we would average using 70% of those additional seats for every game then you're looking at 1.5-2m a year of additional revenue. It's not to be sniffed at but it would be a big investment required to make it happen. Plus the opportunity cost of reduced numbers while it's being built.

We're a different beast now as we're upwardly mobile and the appetite is very much there. Long may it continue, but we don't have a very long history of demonstrating that our ground isn't big enough.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:04 - Apr 28 with 2131 viewsTractorWood

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:31 - Apr 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not entirely different. Massive feel good factor and purple patch from a once in a generation side.

If we theoretically bob along in the championship for a few years we'll be looking pretty stupid with a 20k in a 40k stadium against Doncaster.

We may well be a different beast now but it's too soon to say imo.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 10:05]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:06 - Apr 28 with 2092 viewsPhilTWTD

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:28 - Apr 28 by JackSted

The stands weren't why we went into administration, was due to play contracts, the transfer market and ITV Digital collapsing.
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:13 - Apr 28 with 2024 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:04 - Apr 28 by TractorWood

Not entirely different. Massive feel good factor and purple patch from a once in a generation side.

If we theoretically bob along in the championship for a few years we'll be looking pretty stupid with a 20k in a 40k stadium against Doncaster.

We may well be a different beast now but it's too soon to say imo.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 10:05]

First time, we were relying on European income to fund it.
Second time we were relying on Premier League cash and then ITV digital to fund it.

Both times, loans were secured based on that income. Not the case with any development now.

Different set of circumstances.

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:18 - Apr 28 with 1953 viewsdavblue

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:49 - Apr 28 by xrayspecs

I have been in Cobbold a few times in recent year and the facilities/concourse space/leg room is very poor compared to modern stadium. I cannot see a refurb making too much difference.

i was in the Sir Alf Ramsey upper, right at the top for the Port Vale game and the seating was incredibly cramped, nothing like the Sir Bobby Robson stand right at the back. I was very surprised, im only 5,7 and my knees were cramped and there wasn't much space either side with adults there.
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:19 - Apr 28 with 1943 viewsCityBlue

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:51 - Apr 28 by portmanroadblue

Refurb Cobbold and Magnus stands and look at safe standing on all 4 lower tiers should raise the capacity and reduce construction costs.

safe standing has a bigger footprint per head than seating.

I T I D

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:21 - Apr 28 with 1900 viewsOldFart71

35-40,000 would be sufficient. Not many teams bring more than 5,000 away fans to PR. The biggest gate Town got was a FA Cup game against Leeds where according to official figures the gate was just over 38,000. In season 80-81 when Town, but for injuries would have won the league the average crowd was just over 26,000 with a handful of matches around the 30,000 mark. So 40-45,000 would in my opinion be to high.
It amuses me that people think… on 10:24 - Apr 28 with 1874 viewsBloots

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:19 - Apr 28 by CityBlue

safe standing has a bigger footprint per head than seating.

….”safe standing” is like an old fashioned terrace.

It’s essentially the same as seating but with a different type of seat that gets in the way a little less than a normal seat, plus a rail to hold onto.

You still get a designated spot and as you say the set up takes up more space than a normal seat.

I genuinely think some people expect a massive free for all and huge old fashioned surges to the front when we score. TWTD.

Funny.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:28 - Apr 28 with 1829 viewsOldFart71

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:28 - Apr 28 by JackSted

That was based on one season finishing fifth and it was foolhardy to develope both ends consecutively whilst buying players for millions that ended up having to be paid millions to get rid of as they weren't any good (Matteo Sereni and Finidi George).
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:30 - Apr 28 with 1809 viewsBobbychase

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 09:31 - Apr 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Exactly. And in Sheepy's defence, the TV money in the Prem wasn't what is is now, where clubs like Brentford and Bournemouth can thrive with small capacities. Various financial experts said you needed a 30,000-capacity stadium to continue to progress, back in the early 200s.

We could probably sell another 5-10,000 tickets for the game tomorrow easily. It's a no brainer to expand. And because of the new owners we won't be bankrupting ourselves to do it

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:38 - Apr 28 with 1766 viewsbrazil1982

I managed to increase the capacity to 69,000 on FM so there's obviously the demand.
I hope that new Cobbold Stand is going to be massive! on 10:56 - Apr 28 with 1687 viewsSmithersJones

Any decision about stands and capacity needs to be viewed through the lens of Gamechanger's exit strategy. So while the cost of building will be important, it won't be as important as what value it adds to the club. You can make the argument either way as to whether expanding the ground would be a good move for them. If they can sell us as "a premier league team in waiting with a ground ready for the premier league" then it's worth doing. But the risk is that if we're struggling to fill the ground (regardless of which division we're in) then they're selling us as "a club with a big debt".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024