Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hirst 23:07 - Feb 25 with 2697 viewsIpswich24

Honest opinions- I think he is pretty poor. Don't see is upgrade from Bonne if totally honest. Ball always .stuck under his foot, never under control. Finishing is awful, just don't see the fuss about him. Freddie all day for me.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2023 23:22]

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Hurst on 23:09 - Feb 25 with 2663 viewsFixed_It

Yeah - but we wouldn't have won the World Cup without him though.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Hurst on 23:20 - Feb 25 with 2596 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I mean he was a blo0dy awful manager so may as well try him up front.
Hurst on 23:24 - Feb 25 with 2529 viewspositivity

Hurst on 23:20 - Feb 25 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I mean he was a blo0dy awful manager so may as well try him up front.

still the biggest winner against plymouth this season, can we get him the charlton job before saturday?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Hirst on 23:51 - Feb 25 with 2421 viewsPhilTWTD

Thought he was excellent today, best performance from him or anyone else playing as the number nine this season.
Hirst on 07:26 - Feb 26 with 2005 viewscarlisleaway

Hirst on 23:51 - Feb 25 by PhilTWTD

Thought he was excellent today, best performance from him or anyone else playing as the number nine this season.

Have to say Hirst is a much better front man, just needs that goal and thought as a target man had a good game: we all have different views on games
Hirst on 07:29 - Feb 26 with 1992 viewsSwansea_Blue

I suspect he’ll end up being remembered as a selfless striker who works hard for the team. Which is no bad thing, just that we’ve got some of those already and really need a natural goalscorer who’s going to start banging then in.

I like what I see from him in spells.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hirst on 07:35 - Feb 26 with 1977 viewsPioneerBlue

Bizarre day to pick going all in on George Hirst. I’m with Phil, he was excellent v MKD, best performance from him or anyone else playing as the number nine this season. Hold up was strong, chasing was good, working with scraps, no service from wide and created a shot or two for himself.

It took Ladapo circa10 games to score.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 7:35]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Hirst on 07:37 - Feb 26 with 1959 viewsDanTheMan

Hirst on 07:35 - Feb 26 by PioneerBlue

Bizarre day to pick going all in on George Hirst. I’m with Phil, he was excellent v MKD, best performance from him or anyone else playing as the number nine this season. Hold up was strong, chasing was good, working with scraps, no service from wide and created a shot or two for himself.

It took Ladapo circa10 games to score.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 7:35]

I was very impressed with his pressing, multiple times he won the ball from the front.

Brought a lot of our team into play, both aerially and with his hold up.

He just needs someone to offer him a tap in to get the ball rolling. He's doing everything else really well.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 8:07]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Hirst on 07:42 - Feb 26 with 1927 viewsArnieM

Hirst and Ladapo are two totally different types of striker and can’t be compared IMO. But both have roles to play in achieving our goal of promotion. I’ll leave it at that.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Hirst on 07:46 - Feb 26 with 1905 viewsclive_baker

Couldn’t disagree more

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Hirst on 07:48 - Feb 26 with 1884 viewsArnieM

Hirst on 07:46 - Feb 26 by clive_baker

Couldn’t disagree more

Fine. Can you elaborate more please?

Hirst on 07:48 - Feb 26 with 1889 viewsibbleobble

Hirst on 23:51 - Feb 25 by PhilTWTD

Definitely his best performance for us so far. Lovely duping strike from the edge of the box that deserved to go in but he’s starting to snatch at chances a little and we’ve seen those signs over the years, which are never good.
Hirst on 07:58 - Feb 26 with 1829 viewsPioneerBlue

Hirst on 07:42 - Feb 26 by ArnieM

Hirst and Ladapo are two totally different types of striker and can’t be compared IMO. But both have roles to play in achieving our goal of promotion. I’ll leave it at that.

I agree, both have a part to play which is why we have two front line strikers! I would compare only in the OP and earlier posts people are saying GH needs a goal. All strikers need goals but we’ve seen multiple times in this team that strikers take a while to get their shooting boots they are expected to do so much more supporting the structure of the team to play the game they do - he is proving very good at that.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Hirst on 08:17 - Feb 26 with 1710 viewsPMac13

I thought he played really well against MK and without a couple of decent saves would have had the goals his play deserved. Works really hard and is a different kind of striker to Freddie, I really like him.
Hirst on 08:23 - Feb 26 with 1669 viewsLeoMuff

Hirst on 07:48 - Feb 26 by ibbleobble

Definitely his best performance for us so far. Lovely duping strike from the edge of the box that deserved to go in but he’s starting to snatch at chances a little and we’ve seen those signs over the years, which are never good.

Very unlucky early on as well, made half a yard and got off a really good shot which looked goal bound if the defender hadn’t got in a cracking last ditch block.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Hirst on 08:37 - Feb 26 with 1625 viewsclive_baker

Hirst on 07:48 - Feb 26 by ArnieM

Fine. Can you elaborate more please?

I think it’s a ludicrous suggestion that he’s ‘awful’. Personally I don’t see what there isn’t to like about him. When you consider the role he’s asked to play in the side he did it very well yesterday. He hasn’t played a lot of football this season but he’s improved with every appearance for us. He’s quick, physical, strong in the air, his movement is as good as I’ve seen from anyone at Town for a long time. He makes such intelligent runs off the ball to find and create space. His press is good, puts a real shift in. He’s a proper centre forward and if he plays like that the goals will come.

I think with Chaplin and Broadhead off him that’s a juicy looking front 3 now. Same again next week please KM.

Hirst on 08:46 - Feb 26 with 1551 viewsHerbivore

I didn't see the game yesterday so can't include that in my analysis but I'd say my review of him thus far is 'meh'. Clearly has some ability but looks rusty and not necessarily a natural finisher. Mixed bag in terms of his touch, sometimes excellent, sometimes a bit ungainly. Think with the way Ladapo was playing he's been unlucky to find himself second choice to Hirst in recent games, imo. My assumption is that there's potentially a deal in place for Hirst in the summer and we see him as the better long term prospect, as otherwise I don't think he's earning a start ahead of Ladapo on current form and contribution. That said, he's an upgrade on Jackson and Ahadme as a number 9 so adds much needed competition and depth.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hirst on 09:08 - Feb 26 with 1425 viewsStewart27

He was brilliant yesterday. I posted in a few threads to argue this point yesterday.

Was up there as our MOTM. If that assist and his goal would have come off it would have been a 10/10 performance.
Hirst on 09:25 - Feb 26 with 1372 viewsBigCommon

The ball got stuck under a lot of feet, yesterday.. Ball carriers such as Broadhead and Burns, weren't at their best, imo..
Thought Hirst came out of the game with a lot of credit. He scrapped well. And I suspect his brief would have been, to keep the pressure on a defence that's leaked 10 goals in two games....Two instances, that didn't quite go our way. Hirst knock down for Chappers, who was a whisker away from a decent contact and Hirsts dipping 25yarder, tipped over ? If either of those come off, and this conversation doesn't exist...
These Hirst comments and posts, replicate the sort we saw about Ladapo after 5 or 6 games.. Largely, by people that don't want to see, what a front man can provide to the team, without scoring.. He'll want a goal, for sure. But I'm sure KM will be ok with his efforts up there..... Btw, imo, yesterday, if either Burns or Broadhead were a bit more on it. Then perhaps Hirst might have been served up an easier chance, than the 25 harder, he created for himself.. Burns had at least one chance to give him a tap in..
I think some poor finishing and decision making, at times, yesterday. Prevented us from getting the 3 or 4 goals, that we might have scored on another day. Can't remember Hirst culpable, tbf.
Hirst on 09:33 - Feb 26 with 1315 viewsArnieM

Hirst on 08:37 - Feb 26 by clive_baker

I think it’s a ludicrous suggestion that he’s ‘awful’. Personally I don’t see what there isn’t to like about him. When you consider the role he’s asked to play in the side he did it very well yesterday. He hasn’t played a lot of football this season but he’s improved with every appearance for us. He’s quick, physical, strong in the air, his movement is as good as I’ve seen from anyone at Town for a long time. He makes such intelligent runs off the ball to find and create space. His press is good, puts a real shift in. He’s a proper centre forward and if he plays like that the goals will come.

I think with Chaplin and Broadhead off him that’s a juicy looking front 3 now. Same again next week please KM.

Ah, you weren’t replying to my post . Sorry I thought you were challenging my post not the OP. By the way I agree with every observation you’ve just made re Hirst. I wonder if we’ve got any chance of keeping him though? I have seen the suggestion elsewhere that he’s not really invested in Town and is only here because no one else wanted him and no championship club came in for him. Not that I personally subscribe to that view …..

Hirst on 09:48 - Feb 26 with 1226 viewsbackwaywhen

Hirst on 07:37 - Feb 26 by DanTheMan

I was very impressed with his pressing, multiple times he won the ball from the front.

Brought a lot of our team into play, both aerially and with his hold up.

He just needs someone to offer him a tap in to get the ball rolling. He's doing everything else really well.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 8:07]

Agree best game yesterday , strong and gave the a hard time , needs that goal ….. I wonder if he would have put that Broadhead open goal miss away ….. I would suggest … yes .
Hirst on 10:08 - Feb 26 with 1179 viewsGuthrum

Hirst on 09:25 - Feb 26 by BigCommon

The ball got stuck under a lot of feet, yesterday.. Ball carriers such as Broadhead and Burns, weren't at their best, imo..
Thought Hirst came out of the game with a lot of credit. He scrapped well. And I suspect his brief would have been, to keep the pressure on a defence that's leaked 10 goals in two games....Two instances, that didn't quite go our way. Hirst knock down for Chappers, who was a whisker away from a decent contact and Hirsts dipping 25yarder, tipped over ? If either of those come off, and this conversation doesn't exist...
These Hirst comments and posts, replicate the sort we saw about Ladapo after 5 or 6 games.. Largely, by people that don't want to see, what a front man can provide to the team, without scoring.. He'll want a goal, for sure. But I'm sure KM will be ok with his efforts up there..... Btw, imo, yesterday, if either Burns or Broadhead were a bit more on it. Then perhaps Hirst might have been served up an easier chance, than the 25 harder, he created for himself.. Burns had at least one chance to give him a tap in..
I think some poor finishing and decision making, at times, yesterday. Prevented us from getting the 3 or 4 goals, that we might have scored on another day. Can't remember Hirst culpable, tbf.

Quite a lot of the balls to Hirst's feet yesterday were when he had a couple of defenders already on him, with back to goal and thus no freedom to turn and shoot. I thought he did pretty well under the circumstances.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hirst on 10:28 - Feb 26 with 1141 viewsclive_baker

Hirst on 09:33 - Feb 26 by ArnieM

Ah, you weren’t replying to my post . Sorry I thought you were challenging my post not the OP. By the way I agree with every observation you’ve just made re Hirst. I wonder if we’ve got any chance of keeping him though? I have seen the suggestion elsewhere that he’s not really invested in Town and is only here because no one else wanted him and no championship club came in for him. Not that I personally subscribe to that view …..

Yeah not sure I see that either. It’s obviously easy to talk the talk in the media but he certainly says the right things. His performances aren’t that of someone not invested, and I would imagine his levels in training would’ve been of a standard to justify him starting games which he has. Purely on a human level he knows we’ve chased him for a long time, we’ve blown a bit of smoke up him and I imagine he’ll be very keen to justify that and prove us right. Not to mention the fact his career can only benefit from a strong few months here. It never got going for him at Blackburn, he needs it to with us.

At this stage I’m not too concerned about his longer term future, that’ll depend to some degree on what division we’re in I imagine. I don’t suppose KM and MA have any more than half an eye on that now either really, it’ll be eyes on the prize for KM and selecting the side best equipped to win the next game.

Hirst on 12:11 - Feb 26 with 990 viewsNthQldITFC

Hirst on 07:48 - Feb 26 by ibbleobble

Is a duping strike one that sends the keeper the wrong way? :)

I agree that he's snatching at chances a bit (pressure of expectation) , but given the way things took off for him at Pompey last season, I suspect that once he's bagged one or too he'll get a bit smoother and deadlier.

Think he's an excellent option as with Freddie up front and if TJJ gets back in a month or two, we'll have three perfect options up top.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Hirst on 12:22 - Feb 26 with 963 viewsipswichtillidie

I agree with the OP. That said he is still getting up to speed after playing hardly any games this season. Even more reason why it was a strange transfer perhaps. I back KMc judgement thou so hopefully he will come good. What has highlighted his short fallings so far for me is that Ladapo is bang in form and scoring goals, finally! And now he’s on the bench….
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 12:23]

Gav

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024