Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? 09:38 - Feb 20 with 3448 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/20/roald-dahl-books-rewrites-criticis

In the new edition of Witches, a supernatural female posing as an ordinary woman may be working as a “top scientist or running a business” instead of as a “cashier in a supermarket or typing letters for a businessman”.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:40 - Feb 20 with 1955 viewsBlueBadger

Been done.

https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/blogs/18th-century-shakespear

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:46 - Feb 20 with 1936 viewsmeekreech

Already under way. The plays are being produced and performed with male and female characters being interchanged but not necessarily the complete cast so making the text and storyline complete nonsense.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:48 - Feb 20 with 1916 viewsBlueBadger

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:46 - Feb 20 by meekreech

Already under way. The plays are being produced and performed with male and female characters being interchanged but not necessarily the complete cast so making the text and storyline complete nonsense.

People have mucked about with Shakespeare forever though. It was a very popular occupation in the 18 century, for example.

https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/blogs/18th-century-shakespear
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 10:41]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:53 - Feb 20 with 1907 viewsclive_baker

Hot take of the day: Shakespeare's overrated. Most of his work is absolute dog sh1t, people know it but don't feel like they can say it. The Nando's of the literary world. Must've had a good agent.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:55 - Feb 20 with 1899 viewsGuthrum

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:48 - Feb 20 by BlueBadger

People have mucked about with Shakespeare forever though. It was a very popular occupation in the 18 century, for example.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 10:41]

It even coined a term - Bowdlerisation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bowdler

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:01 - Feb 20 with 1880 viewsSwansea_Blue

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:53 - Feb 20 by clive_baker

Hot take of the day: Shakespeare's overrated. Most of his work is absolute dog sh1t, people know it but don't feel like they can say it. The Nando's of the literary world. Must've had a good agent.

His fishing tackle isn't too bad though (in 'joke' for any anglers on here)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:48 - Feb 20 with 1834 viewsHARRY10

Thankfully there are those willing to uphold the values of Mary Whitehouse - the wokey cokeys.

Men dressed as women entertaining kids is an abomination in the eyes of our dear Lord

'Dick Whittington'. Pantomime... no, a chance for a man to dress as a woman (Dame)....... and err, a woman to dress as a boy

No coincdence there with another one of these men dressed as women... 'Dick' Emery

There was none of this cross dressing stuff in Shakespeares time.

'Puss' in Boots ? That's not just some woman going to the chemist.

Oh no. Thats another attempt to subvert our culture.
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:52 - Feb 20 with 1820 viewsBlueschev

I preferred his sister.
Login to get fewer ads

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:52 - Feb 20 with 1820 viewsblueasfook

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:01 - Feb 20 by Swansea_Blue

Wasn't a fan of his sister either. (90s joke there).

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:53 - Feb 20 with 1813 viewsblueasfook

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:52 - Feb 20 by Blueschev

I preferred his sister.

Hey, I just did a Shakespeare's Sister joke. Can you delete please?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:55 - Feb 20 with 1797 viewsFtnfwest

him and Dean Smith already have been, haven't they?
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:55 - Feb 20 with 1786 viewsBlueBadger

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:48 - Feb 20 by HARRY10

Thankfully there are those willing to uphold the values of Mary Whitehouse - the wokey cokeys.

Men dressed as women entertaining kids is an abomination in the eyes of our dear Lord

'Dick Whittington'. Pantomime... no, a chance for a man to dress as a woman (Dame)....... and err, a woman to dress as a boy

No coincdence there with another one of these men dressed as women... 'Dick' Emery

There was none of this cross dressing stuff in Shakespeares time.

'Puss' in Boots ? That's not just some woman going to the chemist.

Oh no. Thats another attempt to subvert our culture.

PArklife!

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:57 - Feb 20 with 1779 viewsBlueschev

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:53 - Feb 20 by blueasfook

Technically mine was first.
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:59 - Feb 20 with 1771 viewsblueasfook

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:57 - Feb 20 by Blueschev

Technically mine was first.

Hmmm... not sure, both have a time at 10.52. I think maybe Gav will have to officiate on exact timings.

I think it's fair to say that mine is funnier though.

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:02 - Feb 20 with 1766 viewsrickw

I read this book to my son not long ago, I took the job of a cashier at a supermarket to mean the witch can be anyone who you regularly see, how often do you regularly come into contact with "top scientists"? I think whoever changed this has put feminism in the way of the purpose of this sentence

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:08 - Feb 20 with 1746 viewsclive_baker

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:53 - Feb 20 by blueasfook

They should both Stay

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:10 - Feb 20 with 1736 viewschicoazul

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:46 - Feb 20 by meekreech

….since about 1580.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:11 - Feb 20 with 1737 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 10:01 - Feb 20 by Swansea_Blue

Izaac Walton swears by it. Says it helped him become The Compleat Angler.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:21 - Feb 20 with 1715 viewsChurchman

Agree with this. I did it at school for O and A level and it was not the done thing to say ‘this is cr@p’ - but it was. The histories were a curious, inaccurate version of history, the comedies about as funny as root canal dentistry and the tragedies boring beyond belief. Ever read a Midsummer Nights Dream? If not, don’t. Coriolanus? Awful. Richard 2nd - dreadful.

I could reel through the tedium (I was forced into reading a lot of them, but by no means all, thank god) but won’t. Henry 4th Pt 1 wasn’t so bad - at least there was the battle of Shrewsbury at the end to liven it up. Bad luck Harry Hotspur n all that.

Obviously, I’ve not read a word of it since leaving school and avoided stage/tv productions like the plague. Yep, Will Shakey’s stuff can all go in the doggy do bin for me.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 11:22]
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:26 - Feb 20 with 1689 viewschicoazul

Imagine typing these words.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:30 - Feb 20 with 1678 viewsKeno

Two Non-Binaries From Gerona

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:31 - Feb 20 with 1664 viewschicoazul

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:30 - Feb 20 by Keno

Verona.

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:38 - Feb 20 with 1638 viewsblueasfook

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:30 - Feb 20 by Keno

Romeo and John.

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:44 - Feb 20 with 1606 viewsKeno

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:31 - Feb 20 by chicoazul

Verona.

they were relocated to a more culturally appropriate destination

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:47 - Feb 20 with 1597 viewsclive_baker

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 11:21 - Feb 20 by Churchman

Agree with this. I did it at school for O and A level and it was not the done thing to say ‘this is cr@p’ - but it was. The histories were a curious, inaccurate version of history, the comedies about as funny as root canal dentistry and the tragedies boring beyond belief. Ever read a Midsummer Nights Dream? If not, don’t. Coriolanus? Awful. Richard 2nd - dreadful.

I could reel through the tedium (I was forced into reading a lot of them, but by no means all, thank god) but won’t. Henry 4th Pt 1 wasn’t so bad - at least there was the battle of Shrewsbury at the end to liven it up. Bad luck Harry Hotspur n all that.

Obviously, I’ve not read a word of it since leaving school and avoided stage/tv productions like the plague. Yep, Will Shakey’s stuff can all go in the doggy do bin for me.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 11:22]

Have an uppy. Your last point is pertinent. To the nay sayers I would ask when was the last time you thought 'I know what I'll do this afternoon, I'll pick up a bit of Shakespeare and give it a read'?. The answer is you haven't, and the reason is because it's a crock of sh1te.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024