Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? 09:38 - Feb 20 with 3476 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/20/roald-dahl-books-rewrites-criticis

In the new edition of Witches, a supernatural female posing as an ordinary woman may be working as a “top scientist or running a business” instead of as a “cashier in a supermarket or typing letters for a businessman”.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 14:27 - Feb 20 with 674 viewsfactual_blue

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 09:55 - Feb 20 by Guthrum

It even coined a term - Bowdlerisation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bowdler

Our much-lauded Victorian Values.....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 15:19 - Feb 20 with 635 viewsHARRY10

As usual, righties over exciting themselves about stuff of little consequence

Even the Prime Minature is working himself up

Yes that PM, the one who sees no problem in curtailing the right to freedom of assembly, or the right to withdraw your labour
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 15:22 - Feb 20 with 628 viewschicoazul

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 13:32 - Feb 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

I still can't understand not getting a better A level English grade after arguing that Jane Austen's Emma was just a fancy Jackie magazine for the middle classes.

I’d have given you an A for that, I cannot stick that twee rubbish.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 15:23 - Feb 20 with 626 viewschicoazul

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 15:19 - Feb 20 by HARRY10

As usual, righties over exciting themselves about stuff of little consequence

Even the Prime Minature is working himself up

Yes that PM, the one who sees no problem in curtailing the right to freedom of assembly, or the right to withdraw your labour

Anti-intellectual hard left klaxon.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 17:05 - Feb 20 with 563 viewsghostofescobar

Soon, hopefully, I can't understand a fvcking word of it. Needs to be in proper inglish, innit.

GhostOfEscobar

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 17:36 - Feb 20 with 535 viewssotd78

Most of our language is littered with phrases from Shakespeare. His political themes are still as relevant today. As for the put downs for those without much brain-power:
Your abilities are too infant-like for doing much alone. (Coriolanus)
She hath more hair than wit, and more faults than hairs, and more wealth than faults. (Two Gentlemen of Verona)
Thou sodden-witted lord! Thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows! (Troilus and Cressida)
Your brain is as dry as the remainder biscuit after voyage. (As You Like It)
He has not so much brain as ear-wax. (Troilus and Cressida)
You do unbend your noble strength, to think so brainsickly of things. (Macbeth)

seems to be a lot of long-haired, ear-waxed infants on here today! Just saying.....
..oh and those phrases are just cut and pastes. Shakeys far too clever for little old me!

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 18:35 - Feb 20 with 513 viewsBlueBadger

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 13:26 - Feb 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Chaucer?

Chaucer? Need even met 'er mate.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 19:33 - Feb 20 with 469 viewsChurchman

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 17:36 - Feb 20 by sotd78

Most of our language is littered with phrases from Shakespeare. His political themes are still as relevant today. As for the put downs for those without much brain-power:
Your abilities are too infant-like for doing much alone. (Coriolanus)
She hath more hair than wit, and more faults than hairs, and more wealth than faults. (Two Gentlemen of Verona)
Thou sodden-witted lord! Thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows! (Troilus and Cressida)
Your brain is as dry as the remainder biscuit after voyage. (As You Like It)
He has not so much brain as ear-wax. (Troilus and Cressida)
You do unbend your noble strength, to think so brainsickly of things. (Macbeth)

seems to be a lot of long-haired, ear-waxed infants on here today! Just saying.....
..oh and those phrases are just cut and pastes. Shakeys far too clever for little old me!

Well he would be pleased to know there is at least one person 400 years on reads his stuff. Blackadder view:

Blackadder : [punches Shakespeare] That is for every schoolboy and schoolgirl for the next 400 years! Have you any idea how much suffering you're going to cause? Hours spent at school desks trying to find ONE joke in "A Midsummer's Night Dream", wearing stupid tights in school plays and saying things like, "What ho, my Lord," and, "Oh, look, here comes Othello talking total crap as usual."
[kicks Shakespeare]
Blackadder : And THAT is for Ken Branagh's endless, four-hour version of Hamlet.
William Shakespeare : Who's Ken Branagh?
Blackadder : I'll tell him you said that, and I think he'll be rather hurt...
Login to get fewer ads

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 19:55 - Feb 20 with 450 viewsHARRY10

Given that most normal people are reasonably tlerant this lastest bout of rightie 'cancwel culture is treated with mild amusement, perhaps even gentle laughter as the rightue works himself up into lather of self rightiue indignation.

It is the punblishers (Pwenguin) have have decided to change some words.

But yet again the righties show the anger at business being allowed to act as theys ee fit. . you can see where Johnasons 'f**k business comes from. Where the lack of concern for the economy lies with righties - brexit.

If it is not a concert vwnue, it is a university or college. The rightie knows best. Remove those venues choice to decide what is best for them. I totally oppose the dangerous nonsense jehovahs Witnesse peddle, but I would also strongly disagree with righties oif they sought the same level of censorship.

If the venue saw it as commercially viable then that's their choiced.

if a someone is born a man but prefers to dress in what he thinks is womans clothing then fine. Each to their own.

Why do righties get upset about so much, things that are not of any great consequence. There are at least 47,000 dead after the earthquakes in Turkey/Syria, with now more 'tremors. And yet rightie is frothing at the mouth about not only a childs book but who can read it to children.

It's got to the stage where righties have now 'cancelled' political correctness, nevermind that which goes mad. Just like the devil, Eurasia and Eastasia you never hear f them any more. The paranoids now have 'woke', which if not addressed will murder us all in our beds *

Perhaps they will try to 'cance' me if I refer to righties as the 'wokey cokeys'. It'll be the knock at the door in the middle of thw night, as I am carted off for laughing at these poor, sad folk. They want tge UK to be like some fundamentalist Islamic state - only more, no fun and us all in a mentalist state

* to be read in the voice of Minnie Bannister
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 23:29 - Feb 20 with 361 viewsbluebudgie

How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 19:55 - Feb 20 by HARRY10

Given that most normal people are reasonably tlerant this lastest bout of rightie 'cancwel culture is treated with mild amusement, perhaps even gentle laughter as the rightue works himself up into lather of self rightiue indignation.

It is the punblishers (Pwenguin) have have decided to change some words.

But yet again the righties show the anger at business being allowed to act as theys ee fit. . you can see where Johnasons 'f**k business comes from. Where the lack of concern for the economy lies with righties - brexit.

If it is not a concert vwnue, it is a university or college. The rightie knows best. Remove those venues choice to decide what is best for them. I totally oppose the dangerous nonsense jehovahs Witnesse peddle, but I would also strongly disagree with righties oif they sought the same level of censorship.

If the venue saw it as commercially viable then that's their choiced.

if a someone is born a man but prefers to dress in what he thinks is womans clothing then fine. Each to their own.

Why do righties get upset about so much, things that are not of any great consequence. There are at least 47,000 dead after the earthquakes in Turkey/Syria, with now more 'tremors. And yet rightie is frothing at the mouth about not only a childs book but who can read it to children.

It's got to the stage where righties have now 'cancelled' political correctness, nevermind that which goes mad. Just like the devil, Eurasia and Eastasia you never hear f them any more. The paranoids now have 'woke', which if not addressed will murder us all in our beds *

Perhaps they will try to 'cance' me if I refer to righties as the 'wokey cokeys'. It'll be the knock at the door in the middle of thw night, as I am carted off for laughing at these poor, sad folk. They want tge UK to be like some fundamentalist Islamic state - only more, no fun and us all in a mentalist state

* to be read in the voice of Minnie Bannister

What an absolute load of b0ll0cks
How long til Shakespeare gets updated? on 23:49 - Feb 20 with 339 viewsRocky

Talking of Shakespeare a similar literary giant, Enid Blyton no less, has also had her work updated in recent years - particularly her Enchanted Wood series:

"In modern reprints, the names of some of the characters have been changed. Jo has been changed to Joe, the more common spelling for males, and Bessie is now Beth, the former name having fallen out of usage as a nickname for Elizabeth. Fanny and Dick have been renamed Frannie and Rick because in the United Kingdom and some countries in the Commonwealth of Nations they are now more widely used as slang terms for genitalia.
The supporting character Dame Slap has also become Dame Snap, and no longer practises corporal punishment but instead reprimands her students by shouting at them.

Entire passages of the original have been rewritten to remove references to fighting. For instance, when the tree is taken over by Goblins in The Enchanted Wood, the Goblins were originally fought off, with descriptions of Mr. Watzisname 'pummelling them as if he were beating carpets' and the Saucepan Man throwing his saucepans at them. These have been replaced with cursory references to 'chasing'."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024