Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Amazon strike 19:47 - Jan 25 with 3519 viewsPrideOfTheEast

So the main man in Coventry goes on tv, talks about surveillance etc and then says that most of those striking would have accepted a £1 pay rise rather than 50p. At least that’s what I think he said - he’s barely literate. So what is it, a pay rise that they’re after or a change in working conditions! Absolute joke.
This Amazon strike on 19:54 - Jan 25 with 2660 viewsJ2BLUE

Probably both when they are paid a pittance and treated like sh1t?

Edit: By the way, the £1 payrise is a 9.5% pay rise when you are on £10.50 an hour. Bezos is worth £120bn.

The Amazon staff want to preserve their purchasing power and take a p1ss in peace.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 19:59]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This Amazon strike on 19:58 - Jan 25 with 2621 viewsPrideOfTheEast

This Amazon strike on 19:54 - Jan 25 by J2BLUE

Probably both when they are paid a pittance and treated like sh1t?

Edit: By the way, the £1 payrise is a 9.5% pay rise when you are on £10.50 an hour. Bezos is worth £120bn.

The Amazon staff want to preserve their purchasing power and take a p1ss in peace.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 19:59]

But he just said they’d take an additional 50p.
This Amazon strike on 20:02 - Jan 25 with 2598 viewsJ2BLUE

This Amazon strike on 19:58 - Jan 25 by PrideOfTheEast

50p is a 4.75% pay rise for people on £10.50.

Truly impaired.

This Amazon strike on 20:03 - Jan 25 with 2594 viewsDJR

Nobody I heard on tv sounded barely literate.

The real scandal is that Amazon don't recognise trade unions, and so get away with a salary that is around the minimum wage, and very draconian working conditions.

In a statement Amazon said wages had gone up by 28% since 2018 but that's only because the minimum wage has gone up.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 20:09]
This Amazon strike on 20:04 - Jan 25 with 2588 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Amazon strike on 19:58 - Jan 25 by PrideOfTheEast

Assuming it’s this fella, he’s saying £2 or £2.50 according to the quotes in this article https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-strike-first-formal-walkout-on-british-soil-be

Interesting that they pay $18/hr in the US but only £10.50/hr here.

I know someone who used to work in the warehouse down here. Even as a supervisor, he reckoned it was horrible job with crap conditions, which tallies with what this bloke says.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Amazon strike on 20:06 - Jan 25 with 2573 viewsJ2BLUE

This Amazon strike on 20:04 - Jan 25 by Swansea_Blue

Assuming it’s this fella, he’s saying £2 or £2.50 according to the quotes in this article https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-strike-first-formal-walkout-on-british-soil-be

Interesting that they pay $18/hr in the US but only £10.50/hr here.

I know someone who used to work in the warehouse down here. Even as a supervisor, he reckoned it was horrible job with crap conditions, which tallies with what this bloke says.

They spend a fortune in the US trying to brainwash staff against unions. They probably feel that is the minimum they can get away with to stop people joining unions.

See also, Starbucks.

Truly impaired.

This Amazon strike on 20:25 - Jan 25 with 2482 viewsHARRY10

I doubt most will miss the irony of you claimg that aomeone is "barely literate", based on what he said

Do you know what literate means ?

I will assume you are not one of our usual 'master knows best, cap doffing' righties, but are someone genuinely concerned about how 'feckless' workers are exploiting Amazon. As,

"when there's problems with a pallet or a box, that time will accrue - technically it could add up to 30 minutes. [The managers] will come down and say, 'during today, you've had 34 minutes of idle time. What were you doing?"

"some colleagues were working 60-hour weeks to keep up with the cost of living."

Yep, thats the high wage economy we were promised. Workers required to work ever longer hours ro reduce the falling value of their wages.

Whereas one of your 'betters' tried to avoid £3.7m in tax, which on current wages would take an Amazon employee around 175 years to earn
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 20:29]
This Amazon strike on 20:29 - Jan 25 with 2463 viewsPrideOfTheEast

This Amazon strike on 20:25 - Jan 25 by HARRY10

I doubt most will miss the irony of you claimg that aomeone is "barely literate", based on what he said

Do you know what literate means ?

I will assume you are not one of our usual 'master knows best, cap doffing' righties, but are someone genuinely concerned about how 'feckless' workers are exploiting Amazon. As,

"when there's problems with a pallet or a box, that time will accrue - technically it could add up to 30 minutes. [The managers] will come down and say, 'during today, you've had 34 minutes of idle time. What were you doing?"

"some colleagues were working 60-hour weeks to keep up with the cost of living."

Yep, thats the high wage economy we were promised. Workers required to work ever longer hours ro reduce the falling value of their wages.

Whereas one of your 'betters' tried to avoid £3.7m in tax, which on current wages would take an Amazon employee around 175 years to earn
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 20:29]

Good god. I meant it in the sense of being educated.
Login to get fewer ads

This Amazon strike on 20:41 - Jan 25 with 2379 viewsHARRY10

This Amazon strike on 20:29 - Jan 25 by PrideOfTheEast

Good god. I meant it in the sense of being educated.

i would stop digging, if I were you.
This Amazon strike on 20:44 - Jan 25 with 2345 viewsHerbivore

What's an "absolute joke" is Amazon making billions of profit year on year, paying minimal tax, and doing all this whilst paying their staff the bare minimum, a level of income that necessitates the state offering additional financial support to ensure they can live. Their business model, in the UK at least, is predicated on essentially sponging off the state. The taxpayers are funding their profits. If Amazon were benefit claimants or immigrants it'd boil a lot more piss than it seems to amongst much of the population.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This Amazon strike on 20:44 - Jan 25 with 2344 viewsPrideOfTheEast

This Amazon strike on 20:41 - Jan 25 by HARRY10

i would stop digging, if I were you.

What?

Per my original post, simply amazed that somebody can stand on live tv talking about working conditions and then say that most of them would take a 50p pay rise (in addition to the current offer)
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 20:44]
This Amazon strike on 20:45 - Jan 25 with 2322 viewsPrideOfTheEast

This Amazon strike on 20:44 - Jan 25 by Herbivore

What's an "absolute joke" is Amazon making billions of profit year on year, paying minimal tax, and doing all this whilst paying their staff the bare minimum, a level of income that necessitates the state offering additional financial support to ensure they can live. Their business model, in the UK at least, is predicated on essentially sponging off the state. The taxpayers are funding their profits. If Amazon were benefit claimants or immigrants it'd boil a lot more piss than it seems to amongst much of the population.

Again, not what I was commenting on.
This Amazon strike on 20:47 - Jan 25 with 2302 viewsHerbivore

This Amazon strike on 20:45 - Jan 25 by PrideOfTheEast

Again, not what I was commenting on.

So why is it an "absolute joke" that Amazon workers want both a reasonable pay rise and better working conditions? It's not like Amazon can't afford it.

This Amazon strike on 20:50 - Jan 25 with 2280 viewsPrideOfTheEast

This Amazon strike on 20:47 - Jan 25 by Herbivore

So why is it an "absolute joke" that Amazon workers want both a reasonable pay rise and better working conditions? It's not like Amazon can't afford it.

That he was on live tv saying they’d take 50p more and that’s it.

Aren’t we all happy chaps this evening.
This Amazon strike on 20:56 - Jan 25 with 2240 viewsHARRY10

This Amazon strike on 20:44 - Jan 25 by PrideOfTheEast

What?

Per my original post, simply amazed that somebody can stand on live tv talking about working conditions and then say that most of them would take a 50p pay rise (in addition to the current offer)
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 20:44]

One in which you mocked someone for being 'barely literate'

when you clearly didn't know the meaning of the word yourself.
This Amazon strike on 21:01 - Jan 25 with 2223 viewsHerbivore

This Amazon strike on 20:50 - Jan 25 by PrideOfTheEast

That wasn't really your point. Your point was he was talking about working conditions and then mentioned a pay rise, a pay rise which when you're on £10 an hour represents a 10% pay rise - roughly in line with inflation - versus a 5% pay rise, way below inflation. I'm not sure what is an "absolute joke" about that.

This Amazon strike on 21:04 - Jan 25 with 2201 viewsJ2BLUE

Perhaps many of their members are struggling to feed their families and heat their homes? Maybe a 9.5% pay increase (with the extra 50p) would be enough to make them tolerate the conditions as they have more important things to worry about?

I'm guessing you aren't on £10.50 an hour so 50p being a 4.75% pay rise is probably something you hadn't considered.

On a related note, this is why people can't get on the housing ladder. 60 hour weeks to buy the basics to live. Are you starting to see the issue and why people are pissed off?

Truly impaired.

This Amazon strike on 21:06 - Jan 25 with 2205 viewsCoastalblue

As somebody who had the unfortunate pleasure of working for them immediately post pandemic, I can honestly say thatmost of the bad stuff you read about working for them, far from being exagerated it's largely true.

I was desperate, lost my entire income overnight with the first lockdown, and of course jobs weren't easy to come by in a global pandemic. I worked my nads off every week for four months to earn not quite enough money to cover my bills, and all while being monitored for every second of those days. I was out in a van too, it's even worse in the warehouses.

Sorry, not really on topic with the thread, but it's an experience that shocked me and opened my eyes, having always been lucky enough to be in stable employment or self employment throughout my working life. Made me appreciate the problems many have.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This Amazon strike on 21:18 - Jan 25 with 2120 viewsLord_Lucan

I get what you are saying but it may have possibly been misunderstood - and possibly intentionally.

Gotta say I think the thought of working for Amazon feels me with dread, now I have no hard evidence for this but I would wager that they are bastards.

We used to sell on Amazon and they are bastards while taking your money so I’m sure they aren’t great in giving it.

So my take is those poor bastards should be earning £15 an hour at least.

….. but then the prices go up

The public gets what the the public wants.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This Amazon strike on 21:18 - Jan 25 with 2104 viewsHARRY10

This Amazon strike on 21:06 - Jan 25 by Coastalblue

As somebody who had the unfortunate pleasure of working for them immediately post pandemic, I can honestly say thatmost of the bad stuff you read about working for them, far from being exagerated it's largely true.

I was desperate, lost my entire income overnight with the first lockdown, and of course jobs weren't easy to come by in a global pandemic. I worked my nads off every week for four months to earn not quite enough money to cover my bills, and all while being monitored for every second of those days. I was out in a van too, it's even worse in the warehouses.

Sorry, not really on topic with the thread, but it's an experience that shocked me and opened my eyes, having always been lucky enough to be in stable employment or self employment throughout my working life. Made me appreciate the problems many have.

Steady. you'll have the Tory MP for Stoke telling you that you should budget properly

What springs to mind is the book Black Gold by Jeremyi Paxman which tells the rreal horrors of what the miners faced. It sets out in graphic detail the utterly degrading experience of the many women who worked in mines including violence, sexual assault including rape to which they were routinely subject whilst working underground. A male miner would need to take members of his family, including children and young adults, to work with him to have any hope of meeting his work targets.

And as many are forced towards every more degredation we have snivelling little sh its attacking those who speak out, and are fighting for all of us who depend upon work/wages for a living
This Amazon strike on 21:23 - Jan 25 with 2088 viewsjaykay

This Amazon strike on 20:47 - Jan 25 by Herbivore

i may have read the post wrong, but i thought he meant the head man was a joke not the workers. as i said i might have read it wrong

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This Amazon strike on 21:24 - Jan 25 with 2079 viewsfactual_blue

This Amazon strike on 21:06 - Jan 25 by Coastalblue

Amazon - where the technology of the 21st century meets the employee relations of the 19th century.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This Amazon strike on 21:33 - Jan 25 with 2031 viewsCoastalblue

This Amazon strike on 21:24 - Jan 25 by factual_blue

Amazon - where the technology of the 21st century meets the employee relations of the 19th century.

As somebody who immediately prior to my engagement with them used to tell people about the lives of working men in the Port Of London, that's a thought that I had on more than one occasion actually. You're very close to be completely correct there.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This Amazon strike on 21:56 - Jan 25 with 1955 viewsHARRY10

"So my take is those poor bastards should be earning £15 an hour at least.

….. but then the prices go up "

eh ?

A good will fetch what the market will bear, not what the sellers demands

If it was the case then no business would go bankrupt as they would simply put up the prices accordingly. Whereas what we a seeing is pubs and restaurants folding by the day. Why have they not simply been able to put up their prices ?
This Amazon strike on 22:54 - Jan 25 with 1882 viewsPinewoodblue

This Amazon strike on 21:56 - Jan 25 by HARRY10

"So my take is those poor bastards should be earning £15 an hour at least.

….. but then the prices go up "

eh ?

A good will fetch what the market will bear, not what the sellers demands

If it was the case then no business would go bankrupt as they would simply put up the prices accordingly. Whereas what we a seeing is pubs and restaurants folding by the day. Why have they not simply been able to put up their prices ?

Think it is fair to say that currently some goods are increasing by more than they need because the public have been become conditioned to price increases.

A view recently expressed by a senior executive at Tesco.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tesco-inflation-cost-of-living-john-allan-b10

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024