Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you could still have a go on any toy or game 23:26 - Jan 24 with 5249 viewsCheltenham_Blue

that you had as a kid, what would it be?

Subbuteo or Scalextric for me.

I used to iron my Subbuteo pitch on the kitchen lino so that it had squares on it like Wembley (the old one)

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 23:33 - Jan 24 with 2437 viewsIPS_wich

If we can extend ‘when you were a kid’ to mean late teens - then Nintendo 64, three mates and Goldeneye please.
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 23:40 - Jan 24 with 2427 viewsfabian_illness

Evel Kneival Stunt Cycle
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 23:54 - Jan 24 with 2398 viewsChurchman

Subbuteo was a massive faff for not much. The cricket version was pathetic. Scalextrc was ok but one car was always faster than the other so boredom soon set in.

Meccano? Metal with holes, nuts and screws. Whatever you made looked like metal with holes bolted together. Meh.

The toy of my yoof and first choice was Lego. Baseplates, bricks, sloped ones for roofs and wheels. That was your lot bar imagination. I then went on to Airfix/Revell 1/72 aircraft. Fantastic. I made loads of them but that was modelling rather than a pure toy that I think the OP was referring to.

Honourable mention to this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195569822239?hash=item2d88deaa1f:g:Jo8AAOSwqeVjxm4-

My grandparents bought me this when they came to stay one Christmas. The players fired a heavy ball bearing basically and we had endless fun with it. My dad and I used to do scissors paper and rock to decide who got the blue team. I love Chad Valley!
[Post edited 24 Jan 2023 23:57]
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 23:59 - Jan 24 with 2376 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 23:54 - Jan 24 by Churchman

Subbuteo was a massive faff for not much. The cricket version was pathetic. Scalextrc was ok but one car was always faster than the other so boredom soon set in.

Meccano? Metal with holes, nuts and screws. Whatever you made looked like metal with holes bolted together. Meh.

The toy of my yoof and first choice was Lego. Baseplates, bricks, sloped ones for roofs and wheels. That was your lot bar imagination. I then went on to Airfix/Revell 1/72 aircraft. Fantastic. I made loads of them but that was modelling rather than a pure toy that I think the OP was referring to.

My grandparents bought me this when they came to stay one Christmas. The players fired a heavy ball bearing basically and we had endless fun with it. My dad and I used to do scissors paper and rock to decide who got the blue team. I love Chad Valley!

This was the best one I ever had.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383377385597?hash=item594312a87d:g:-0UAAOSwgedeFMFH&a

It had a ramp that you could jump off, but it was actually a sea-saw so if you went slow enough, it would tip and stop the other car getting to you. Then you had a button on top of the controller that when you hit it, it reversed the polarity of the track in your lane and so the car would reverse and then perform a U-turn.

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 00:06 - Jan 25 with 2361 viewsChurchman

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 23:59 - Jan 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

This was the best one I ever had.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383377385597?hash=item594312a87d:g:-0UAAOSwgedeFMFH&a

It had a ramp that you could jump off, but it was actually a sea-saw so if you went slow enough, it would tip and stop the other car getting to you. Then you had a button on top of the controller that when you hit it, it reversed the polarity of the track in your lane and so the car would reverse and then perform a U-turn.

That looks great! Into the 90s Mrs Cs cousin’s lad had something like this and it looked a lot of fun.

I used to like Corgi cars and had both the silver and early gold 007 Astons. Smashed them up of course and chucked away the boxes. Even if I still had them they’d be worthless but they’re long gone.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 0:12]
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 00:29 - Jan 25 with 2337 viewsclive_baker

I never got into subbuteo, you always had that crease in the pitch from where it had been folded that sent the ball off course. I had a similar thing where the little players were magnetic so the ball stuck to them, again never really worked as a concept for me.

I was probably more gamer generation though, Ultimate Soccer Manager, Championship Manager & FIFA boy I spent a lot of time playing them.

If I had to choose a non tech game I would go for a super soaker, got fond memories of water fights as a kid on balmy summer evenings.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 00:42 - Jan 25 with 2296 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

I would love a game of subbuteo with anybody
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 00:44 - Jan 25 with 2298 viewsdavblue

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 00:29 - Jan 25 by clive_baker

I never got into subbuteo, you always had that crease in the pitch from where it had been folded that sent the ball off course. I had a similar thing where the little players were magnetic so the ball stuck to them, again never really worked as a concept for me.

I was probably more gamer generation though, Ultimate Soccer Manager, Championship Manager & FIFA boy I spent a lot of time playing them.

If I had to choose a non tech game I would go for a super soaker, got fond memories of water fights as a kid on balmy summer evenings.

I would go with 2 things gamer wise.

Sensible Soccer was fantastic annd so playable and I’ve not forgotten playing CM2 and the buzz I got from playing that for the 1st time. Played every version since.

And the buzz around the 1st FIFA game, I never owned it but I remember it being sold out in Suffolk and my dad having to buy it from a small electrical shop in Oxfordshire for my cousins Christmas present.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 0:47]
Login to get fewer ads

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 01:58 - Jan 25 with 2219 viewsgreyhound

So many things mentioned in this thread yiu can still buy.

Honestly get in ebay if you can't afford new and treat yourself just to relive your childhood a bit. Nothing to be ashamed of. I still treat myself to lego occasionally which I find helps mental health. I've got no shortage of subbuteo, world Cup cricket, an n64etc. Just occasionally spending 50 quid on yourself for fun is worth it.

Plus when you get mates round it can be a good laugh and something to enjoy with the young ones.

For those after football manager games, championship manager 01/02...the ultimate version in my eyes is available online completely free. There's still a big community online and still worthy of hours of gameplay
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 02:04 - Jan 25 with 2211 viewsWeWereZombies

Phillips electronic engineer kit.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 07:44 - Jan 25 with 2059 viewsFather_Jack

Johnny Astro.

Or Waddngton's Formula One.

Less is more.

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:00 - Jan 25 with 2033 viewsDanTheMan

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 01:58 - Jan 25 by greyhound

So many things mentioned in this thread yiu can still buy.

Honestly get in ebay if you can't afford new and treat yourself just to relive your childhood a bit. Nothing to be ashamed of. I still treat myself to lego occasionally which I find helps mental health. I've got no shortage of subbuteo, world Cup cricket, an n64etc. Just occasionally spending 50 quid on yourself for fun is worth it.

Plus when you get mates round it can be a good laugh and something to enjoy with the young ones.

For those after football manager games, championship manager 01/02...the ultimate version in my eyes is available online completely free. There's still a big community online and still worthy of hours of gameplay

Some amazing work people have done to keep CM01/02 alive all these years.

https://champman0102.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=2450

The fact it's playable on Android now is pretty amazing given when it was written.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:01 - Jan 25 with 2027 viewstextbackup

I’d buy a budgie on a piece of string…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:09 - Jan 25 with 2024 viewsLord_Lucan

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 23:54 - Jan 24 by Churchman

I loved Subbuteo cricket. Football version wound me up because we had a bumpy carpet but I got over that by getting a small pool table and played it on that - which also resulted in less player fatalities.

For me though it would be a football game where we pushed the heads down to make their heads kick i I think it was called Striker?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:44 - Jan 25 with 1929 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:00 - Jan 25 by DanTheMan

Some amazing work people have done to keep CM01/02 alive all these years.

https://champman0102.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=2450

The fact it's playable on Android now is pretty amazing given when it was written.

CM93/94 was the one.

Julian Joachim and Don Hutchinson were the first signings for me. Mate of mine used to sign Lee Power regular as clockwork. I consistently refused to sign him, despite the fact that he would score 40 a season.

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:49 - Jan 25 with 1904 viewsRegencyBlue

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 07:44 - Jan 25 by Father_Jack

Johnny Astro.

I’d forgotten about Johnny Astro.

It looked really good on the TV adverts but the reality was a fan and a balloon!
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:52 - Jan 25 with 1886 viewsSwansea_Blue

I used to spend hours on Subbuteo. I dug the stuff out a few years ago for the kids, and even bought a few more up to date teams. Good stuff even now, although it struggles to compete with computer games these days sadly. I think they’re missing out. Subbuteo, Scalextric, Hornby, airfix models - there’s something about the tactile nature of it that beats computer games imo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:59 - Jan 25 with 1868 viewsleitrimblue

Wouldn't say no to a quick game of crossfire
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:01 - Jan 25 with 1851 viewsfarkenhell

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:09 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

I loved Subbuteo cricket. Football version wound me up because we had a bumpy carpet but I got over that by getting a small pool table and played it on that - which also resulted in less player fatalities.

For me though it would be a football game where we pushed the heads down to make their heads kick i I think it was called Striker?

Striker! I had completely forgotten about that one. You had to get the ball under the player's foot then press the head. A great game, although after a while the heads wouldn't press down (or perhaps we had the dodgy, back of a lorry, version).

Although it was always subbuteo for me. We had a competition when I was at junior school and I won. My reward was to play the PE teacher. We had about 30/40 boys crammed around the biggest table, cheering me on. The cheering each time I scored (I won 3-1) made me feel like I was playing at Wembley. It was the year after Ipswich won the cup in '78 and when I scored the first goal, someone shouted out "Osborne, 1-0"!
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:05 - Jan 25 with 1839 viewsSaleAway

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 08:59 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

Wouldn't say no to a quick game of crossfire

I was just coming on to post the same thing... loved that game!

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:07 - Jan 25 with 1835 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Sure Shot Hockey, which was an ice hockey version of table football.
Probably circa 1970 ish.
Got so much usage it broke and never got another one.

A Rayleigh Chopper bicycle if that counts as a toy.
Again, it broke beyond repair and my folks got me a "sensible" cycle as a replacement.

As a sidenote, my first pair of football boots were ankle high, leather uppers, with nailed in studs and were given to me by an older lad down the street. Uncomfortable as hell, but ok for kicking the old heavy laced up footballs of the time.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:24 - Jan 25 with 1812 viewsbrazil1982

An arcade full of proper arcade machines...pin ball, star wars, galaxan, track and field..
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:38 - Jan 25 with 1765 viewsleitrimblue

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:05 - Jan 25 by SaleAway

I was just coming on to post the same thing... loved that game!

Was excellent. A quick game of crossfire before work would definitely set you up for the day
If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:49 - Jan 25 with 1728 viewsbluelagos

Few plastic orange car tracks, put one on the table going down to the ground then a "loop de loop" at the bottom. Release model cars and jobs a good un.

Not sure if it was supposed to be like that or just improvised tbh.

Happy days

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 09:52 - Jan 25 with 1725 viewsEdwardStone

If you could still have a go on any toy or game on 07:44 - Jan 25 by Father_Jack

Johnny Astro.

I used to play that Formula 1 game a lot....

Tyre wear and brake wear punishments for taking corners too fast.

It had no concept of radius and apex on the corners... no racing line.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024