Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MacAnthony 16:28 - Jan 5 with 6261 viewsWestover

Darragh MacAnthony saying is has already rejected laughable bids for some Peterborough players, well be would say that wouldn't he.
MacAnthony on 16:31 - Jan 5 with 5563 viewsArnieM

They always seem to secure good prices for their players. So they know how to negotiate . I don’t think we’ll be getting in don’t Posh player either cheaply, if at all. Happy to be proved wrong of course .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

MacAnthony on 16:40 - Jan 5 with 5382 viewsIllinoisblue

MacAnthony on 16:31 - Jan 5 by ArnieM

They always seem to secure good prices for their players. So they know how to negotiate . I don’t think we’ll be getting in don’t Posh player either cheaply, if at all. Happy to be proved wrong of course .

They always seem to recruit well from the lower leagues. Buy low and sell high. They must have a great scouting set-up.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

MacAnthony on 16:42 - Jan 5 with 5336 viewsMullet

MacAnthony on 16:40 - Jan 5 by Illinoisblue

They always seem to recruit well from the lower leagues. Buy low and sell high. They must have a great scouting set-up.

Hmmm have they done much of that recently though? Seems like 5-10 years since they really made huge profits.

Aren't they saddled with Marriott et al. from overreaching their grasp lately?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

MacAnthony on 16:43 - Jan 5 with 5299 viewsportmanking

MacAnthony on 16:40 - Jan 5 by Illinoisblue

The success of Peterborough is simple. Ultimately, they play a system that's geared towards letting their high-potential players shine. It's mainly all about their goalscorers. Their recruitment network is probably solid in the lower leagues, but I'm certain we'll now know about every hot prospect that they're aware of.
MacAnthony on 16:50 - Jan 5 with 5097 viewsSimonds92

MacAnthony on 16:42 - Jan 5 by Mullet

Hmmm have they done much of that recently though? Seems like 5-10 years since they really made huge profits.

Made a healthy profit on Marriott didnt they?
MacAnthony on 16:52 - Jan 5 with 5037 viewsMullet

MacAnthony on 16:50 - Jan 5 by Simonds92

Made a healthy profit on Marriott didnt they?

Thought he's back on massive wages is what I meant. But undisclosed fees means we'll never know how much they actually get up front and how many clauses get triggered.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Szmodics?, Dembele, Eisa, Toney.... on 16:57 - Jan 5 with 4903 viewsBloots

.....they've still been doing it.

I don't think they've got a lot of those type left now though.

Just JCH and Taylor really.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

MacAnthony on 17:02 - Jan 5 with 4810 viewsNutkins_Return

MacAnthony on 16:43 - Jan 5 by portmanking

The success of Peterborough is simple. Ultimately, they play a system that's geared towards letting their high-potential players shine. It's mainly all about their goalscorers. Their recruitment network is probably solid in the lower leagues, but I'm certain we'll now know about every hot prospect that they're aware of.

It's exactly this and particularly so under Ferguson which is why he has on his 4th stint. They play to the attacking 3-4 players strengths and so end up with A high scoring CF and good goal and assist stats for those around them. They then unload them and seldom dothise same players achieve the same success elsewhere (Ivan Toney aside).

This does them a slight disservice as they do recruit the right types and have unearthed a few gems. But generally I don't think you get good value from them.

It's not a full proof system for them either. They have tended to be inconsistent in their results. When they get it right it's a really good model for team at that level.

Darragh is marmite but hard to fault what he has achieved with them really.
Login to get fewer ads

MacAnthony on 17:04 - Jan 5 with 4745 viewsmonty_radio

I think that for all their success in the last 10-15 years there's nothing to show for it in that their population is 180k and their hinterland is extensive, but their support is thin and the ground looks much as it did when elected to the league in 1960. If Plymouth continue their upward march Posh might eventually become the answer to the perennial: " what is the largest place never to have played in the top tier"? MacAnthony might better reflect on that.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

MacAnthony on 18:06 - Jan 5 with 4376 viewsWickets

That can't be right as a couple of posters on here yesterday see.ed to suggest it was about to happen!!
MacAnthony on 18:08 - Jan 5 with 4343 viewsKieranMcKenna1

I don’t think we should overspend on Taylor.

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

MacAnthony on 18:12 - Jan 5 with 4285 viewsstrikalite

The money isn't there like it was in the past, wanting £5m for Taylor and the same for Ronnie Edwards and no doubt JCH too is easy to say, which Championship Club is likely to pay that?
MacAnthony on 19:51 - Jan 5 with 4011 viewsPioneerBlue

I can’t see us being in the business of enriching/ facilitating the strengthening of posh when we are not guaranteed to be playing them next season! Why make things harder for ourselves when all we need is depth in midfield at this moment in time. Come summer we may be in a different league, the goal past will have shifted. Come summer, if we are still L1 we could do without the additional competition of a posh with 3m in their pockets!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

MacAnthony on 22:43 - Jan 5 with 3650 viewsArnoldMoorhen

MacAnthony on 17:04 - Jan 5 by monty_radio

I think that for all their success in the last 10-15 years there's nothing to show for it in that their population is 180k and their hinterland is extensive, but their support is thin and the ground looks much as it did when elected to the league in 1960. If Plymouth continue their upward march Posh might eventually become the answer to the perennial: " what is the largest place never to have played in the top tier"? MacAnthony might better reflect on that.

Warrington has a bigger population than Peterborough, so I reckon MacAnthony is on pretty safe ground on that front.
MacAnthony on 22:45 - Jan 5 with 3612 viewsPhilTWTD

MacAnthony on 18:12 - Jan 5 by strikalite

The money isn't there like it was in the past, wanting £5m for Taylor and the same for Ronnie Edwards and no doubt JCH too is easy to say, which Championship Club is likely to pay that?

I was told last night that Posh want £2.5m for Taylor. Dooubt they'll get it. Our interest has cooled since signing Luongo but wouldn't surprise me if we came back in for him.
MacAnthony on 23:24 - Jan 5 with 3319 viewsStewart27

MacAnthony on 22:43 - Jan 5 by ArnoldMoorhen

Warrington has a bigger population than Peterborough, so I reckon MacAnthony is on pretty safe ground on that front.

I think the answer here is Bristol.
MacAnthony on 23:37 - Jan 5 with 3262 viewsITFCBlues

MacAnthony on 22:45 - Jan 5 by PhilTWTD

I was told last night that Posh want £2.5m for Taylor. Dooubt they'll get it. Our interest has cooled since signing Luongo but wouldn't surprise me if we came back in for him.

Not worth that surely. If they don't sell now he will be worth no more than 1m come the summer with just a year left on his deal.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

MacAnthony on 23:40 - Jan 5 with 3229 viewsPhilTWTD

MacAnthony on 23:37 - Jan 5 by ITFCBlues

Not worth that surely. If they don't sell now he will be worth no more than 1m come the summer with just a year left on his deal.

Agree, they'll end up having to accept less either now or even less in the summer.
MacAnthony on 23:54 - Jan 5 with 3135 viewsStNeotsBlue

MacAnthony on 16:43 - Jan 5 by portmanking

Not sure if he's still as involved these days but Barry Fry should take a lot of credit for their successful recruitment over the last 20 years. His knowledge of nonleague football and young players within about an hour and half drive from Bedford has been very beneficial to them.
MacAnthony on 06:41 - Jan 6 with 2752 viewsSchancheITFC

Peterborough are a laughable club
MacAnthony on 07:36 - Jan 6 with 2562 viewsLeaky

MacAnthony on 17:04 - Jan 5 by monty_radio

Had chat with Barry Fry a few years ago, he said the problem with the support from the local community was that Peterborough is a railway hub, if you sit on Peterborough station on a Saturday you see more local football fans boarding trains for London, Leeds & the north east than come through the turnstiles at London Road
MacAnthony on 07:49 - Jan 6 with 2472 viewstextbackup

I can’t imagine MA and him ever being able to negotiate a deal.

Neither willing to back down.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

MacAnthony on 07:53 - Jan 6 with 2437 viewsportmanking

Yep. This one will come back to bite them, as we should be able to sign him for half that (or even less) in the summer.
MacAnthony on 07:57 - Jan 6 with 2414 viewstextbackup

Do we need another CM tho?

Once Camara is fit, ML might impress and get offered a deal, and we already have Morsy Evans Ball Humphries…

5 for 2 positions is already pretty heavy.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

MacAnthony on 08:17 - Jan 6 with 2324 viewsitfcjoe

Feels like signing Luongo has strengthened our hand in signing Taylor, they now no longer know we are desperate for a 3rd senior CM so somewhat tilts the table in our favour and allows us to let it slide if we can't get the right price agreed.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024