Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
do we need a forward in January 13:06 - Dec 13 with 5203 viewsjaykay

looking at this table [ pinched from another site] the only time we out of the top 3 is our defence. not saying it need any new faces just a observation

should have said click on table and it will be clearer
[Post edited 13 Dec 2022 13:36]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

do we need a forward in January on 13:31 - Dec 13 with 3290 viewshomer_123

For me, it's merely about converting the chances we create. We seem to create opportunities for players in a number of positions to score, not just an a traditional centre forward (I note you said forward and might be more general attacking players).

If we can just up that conversion rate by say, 10%, we'll see a lot more goals.

Personally, I think we are strong enough in attack but wouldn't be averse to one new attacking player if it is a dramatic improvement on what we have.

I'd rather we work on upping that conversion rate with what we have and link that with tightening up at the back a bit.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

do we need a forward in January on 13:37 - Dec 13 with 3264 viewsWeekender

I think we should be looking to replace TJJ as he will be out for a while.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

do we need a forward in January on 13:41 - Dec 13 with 3239 viewstextbackup

yes

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

do we need a forward in January on 13:42 - Dec 13 with 3232 viewsDubtractor

I think we'll be a stronger team with another cf option, especially with John jules out for a while.

We score a lot, but we probably ought to score more given our dominance in games.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

do we need a forward in January on 13:46 - Dec 13 with 3212 viewsPhilTWTD

do we need a forward in January on 13:42 - Dec 13 by Dubtractor

I think we'll be a stronger team with another cf option, especially with John jules out for a while.

We score a lot, but we probably ought to score more given our dominance in games.

Indeed, think the position in which we've been least convincing all season is number nine and assume that's the area they'll be most out to improve in January. I know Evan Ferguson is one they're very interested in but wonder whether they'd ideally want someone with more experience, Will Keane, for example, who was a target in the summer and doesn't seem to have signed the new contract he was expected to, as far as I've seen.
do we need a forward in January on 13:49 - Dec 13 with 3170 viewsFrimleyBlue

I can see us going for a forward that can potentially do both roles uptop, ala JJ

I can see us getting competition for Burns on the right

Also, a new defender of some form.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

do we need a forward in January on 13:52 - Dec 13 with 3154 viewsPinewoodblue

do we need a forward in January on 13:46 - Dec 13 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, think the position in which we've been least convincing all season is number nine and assume that's the area they'll be most out to improve in January. I know Evan Ferguson is one they're very interested in but wonder whether they'd ideally want someone with more experience, Will Keane, for example, who was a target in the summer and doesn't seem to have signed the new contract he was expected to, as far as I've seen.

We need to sort out the differences between. Home and away performance.

We have more points away from fewer games.
We have scored more goals away Frimley fewer games.

Perhaps a new number 9 will solve this or just a change of approach to home games .

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

do we need a forward in January on 13:55 - Dec 13 with 3125 viewsFrimleyBlue

do we need a forward in January on 13:52 - Dec 13 by Pinewoodblue

We need to sort out the differences between. Home and away performance.

We have more points away from fewer games.
We have scored more goals away Frimley fewer games.

Perhaps a new number 9 will solve this or just a change of approach to home games .

erm, yes?

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

do we need a forward in January on 13:59 - Dec 13 with 3077 viewsjayessess

do we need a forward in January on 13:46 - Dec 13 by PhilTWTD

This season and last Keane's been roughly twice as efficient in front of a goal as Ladapo, so he'd almost certainly make us more clinical (far less shot volume though).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

do we need a forward in January on 14:00 - Dec 13 with 3066 viewsgeg1992

I think we definitely need a new forward. We're scoring lots of goals yes, but I'd love to know our conversion percentage compared to others.

We seem to create SOO many chances, but just don't put the ball in the back of the net. I wonder if a new striker (no idea who) would have scored some of the chances or got into better positions, which could have changed the result against:

Fleetwood
Lincoln
Charlton

Just to name a few. We could be even further out in front had we buried the numerous chances we create.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

do we need a forward in January on 14:01 - Dec 13 with 3043 viewsFrimleyBlue

do we need a forward in January on 13:59 - Dec 13 by jayessess

This season and last Keane's been roughly twice as efficient in front of a goal as Ladapo, so he'd almost certainly make us more clinical (far less shot volume though).

We just need someone who has the intelligence on where to run to when our wide players get the balls into the box. Freddie stays still, Jackson for some reason runs as close to the goal line as possible,

I'd love to know how many crosses/drilled balls we put in the box without anyone getting on the end of them.

Waka waka eh eh

do we need a forward in January on 14:03 - Dec 13 with 3031 viewsgeg1992

do we need a forward in January on 14:01 - Dec 13 by FrimleyBlue

We just need someone who has the intelligence on where to run to when our wide players get the balls into the box. Freddie stays still, Jackson for some reason runs as close to the goal line as possible,

I'd love to know how many crosses/drilled balls we put in the box without anyone getting on the end of them.

This is the frustrating thing for me. With a more intelligent striker we would have won a few of the games we've drawn / lost, I think.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

do we need a forward in January on 14:07 - Dec 13 with 2978 viewsChurchman

This question appeared in another thread and a poster suggested that somebody who offered something a little different would be a good idea. I go with that, especially as John Jules is out.

So yes, despite the team doing well, a little boost in this area can only help.
do we need a forward in January on 14:07 - Dec 13 with 2977 viewshype313

do we need a forward in January on 14:03 - Dec 13 by geg1992

This is the frustrating thing for me. With a more intelligent striker we would have won a few of the games we've drawn / lost, I think.

We need someone who likes to gamble, any striker worth their salt will lick their lips with the deliveries from Davis.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

do we need a forward in January on 14:08 - Dec 13 with 2972 viewsPhilTWTD

do we need a forward in January on 13:59 - Dec 13 by jayessess

It's not just goals, although I'm sure you're right, I don't think anyone has offered enough in terms of their all-round game up to now.
do we need a forward in January on 14:09 - Dec 13 with 2953 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think we do now TJJ is injured, I thought he was growing in to that role and Mckenna clearly trusted him given how many of the "big games" he started in and played well in.

Phil mentioned Evan Ferguson above, i know he's really highly rated and being watched by some championship clubs

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

do we need a forward in January on 14:19 - Dec 13 with 2849 viewsHighgateBlue

do we need a forward in January on 14:07 - Dec 13 by hype313

We need someone who likes to gamble, any striker worth their salt will lick their lips with the deliveries from Davis.

Absolutely. Davis' delivery has been fantastic in the last couple of months, it really has. I'm certainly not grumbling, because we're top of the league and we've scored more than anyone else. However, as we're looking for improvements, I do think that the quality of the delivery has not always been met by the quality of the crosses.

We shouldn't have multiple games where Woolfenden scores early from a Davis delivery but we fail to get the 3 points which we plainly should have got, because our forwards don't always seem to be able to do the same thing.

Another option, especially in the absence of TJJ, can only be a good thing.
do we need a forward in January on 14:21 - Dec 13 with 2830 viewsketton_itfc

I think defence wise we're ok but up front we need a face or two to at least cover as others have mentioned TJJ.
I think we could do with an experienced physical target man, a James Collins/Micheal Smith type just to mix things up when we're chasing games for a goal and the ball is being flung in the box.
I'd also like someone with a bit of pace to put the fear of god of centre halves after 60-65 mins.
FWIW I think the owners will take a calculated gamble and spend a few quid in Jan on one or two to see us over the line
do we need a forward in January on 14:23 - Dec 13 with 2811 viewshype313

do we need a forward in January on 14:19 - Dec 13 by HighgateBlue

Absolutely. Davis' delivery has been fantastic in the last couple of months, it really has. I'm certainly not grumbling, because we're top of the league and we've scored more than anyone else. However, as we're looking for improvements, I do think that the quality of the delivery has not always been met by the quality of the crosses.

We shouldn't have multiple games where Woolfenden scores early from a Davis delivery but we fail to get the 3 points which we plainly should have got, because our forwards don't always seem to be able to do the same thing.

Another option, especially in the absence of TJJ, can only be a good thing.

Indeed, I just think with a striker who likes to play on the front foot, we would have made our lives so much easier for ourselves in recent times.

do we need a forward in January on 14:27 - Dec 13 with 2766 viewsBroadhill

Yes we do. But he needs to be intelligent enough to convert all these chances we seem to fashion but then miss. Also maybe he needs to add something a little different up top. Who though, l have no idea!
do we need a forward in January on 14:34 - Dec 13 with 2727 viewsjayessess

do we need a forward in January on 14:27 - Dec 13 by Broadhill

Yes we do. But he needs to be intelligent enough to convert all these chances we seem to fashion but then miss. Also maybe he needs to add something a little different up top. Who though, l have no idea!

Do think there's a tendency to imagine ourselves the only team that misses chances. We're 4th in the league for shot conversion (11%), level with Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday. The three teams above us are only on 12%, so we're only talking an extra goal every hundred shots here.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/15/League-One-Stats#all_stats_squads_shooting

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

do we need a forward in January on 14:34 - Dec 13 with 2726 viewsMetal_Hacker

do we need a forward in January on 14:01 - Dec 13 by FrimleyBlue

I don't think it's just a case of "intelligence"

Jackson is running int t hose positions for a reason - has he been told to drag defenders out of the way and leave a gap for an attacking midfield player ?

The balls / crosses into the box - are they hitting the intended area ?

There's far more to it than blaming individuals for not making the correct runs or not considering the accuracy of the crosses

So much more to the role than meets the eye . I don't think for one minute Jackson is making those runs to the goal line as you say because he thinks it's the best option - he's doing it for a reason. If he's not then he would be pulled up in training and analysis after the game etc

Poll: If it were one or the other

do we need a forward in January on 14:37 - Dec 13 with 2707 viewshype313

do we need a forward in January on 14:34 - Dec 13 by Metal_Hacker

Jackson is running int t hose positions for a reason - has he been told to drag defenders out of the way and leave a gap for an attacking midfield player ?

There's far more to it than blaming individuals for not making the correct runs or not considering the accuracy of the crosses

So much more to the role than meets the eye . I don't think for one minute Jackson is making those runs to the goal line as you say because he thinks it's the best option - he's doing it for a reason. If he's not then he would be pulled up in training and analysis after the game etc

Davis has been putting balls in on a sixpence time and time again, he even looked dejected a couple of times I looked at him went the ball went out for a thrown in because their was no one near it.

do we need a forward in January on 14:40 - Dec 13 with 2659 viewsFrimleyBlue

do we need a forward in January on 14:34 - Dec 13 by Metal_Hacker

You may be right, i Just felt if that was the case then the balls coming in would be behind Jackson to hit those areas which he's leaving space in for example.

There was one on Sat as a prime example, it was either when Aluko went to byline or Burns did.. anyway ball drilled right across goal -- not backwards, and Jacksons pretty much standing by the post. You could say maybe that cross was wrong.. that would be a reason. but i just find the striker runs quite strange considering the opportunity that presents itself. But you could be absolutely spot on.

Waka waka eh eh

do we need a forward in January on 14:42 - Dec 13 with 2650 viewsMetal_Hacker

do we need a forward in January on 14:37 - Dec 13 by hype313

Davis has been putting balls in on a sixpence time and time again, he even looked dejected a couple of times I looked at him went the ball went out for a thrown in because their was no one near it.

I'm not saying the balls / crosses are poor I'm asking are they going into the correct area at perhaps the correct time that's all

There's nothing wrong at with his delivery , that's quite obvious in terms of area it's drilled or crossed into

Is the timing out of the crosses and the strikers / attacking players is my point

We need a striker who mixes it up like I say , front post , back post runs

Poll: If it were one or the other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024