Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3rd kit at home - has it happened before? 20:00 - Oct 11 with 1563 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Has anyone else done this in the English leagues for a league game, or will we be the first? Obviously top teams now have about 7 kits a season and wear different ones in different comps, but has anyone actually just changed to a third kit for a home game?

Only one I could think of is the Manchester derby a few years back when both sides wore memorial kits for the Munich Disaster (which isn’t really the same thing as obviously a special occasion). Admittedly I don’t follow the PL as much now except for FPL purposes so might be more frequent than I thought?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 20:14 - Oct 11 with 1502 viewsSwansea_Blue

Probably. I doubts that’s the specific answer you’re after though!

Edit - or maybe not. I remember this request being turned down https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/11/premier-league-block-request-of-home.html

Edit2- certainly allowable (as we’ve just proved!) - see EFL rules 21/22:
“The ‘home’ kit so registered by each Club shall be worn for all Home Matches during the next following Season.

Notwithstanding the aforementioned, each Club is authorised on one occasion per Season to play a Home match in an alternative kit. The League reserves the right to relax this restriction in respect of play-off matches after consultation with Clubs.”
https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b3cd34c726c341ca9636610aa4503172/regulations-s

That’s a bit random - I wonder why they settled on one occasion only.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 20:25]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 20:21 - Oct 11 with 1477 viewsSharkey

It wasn't really a third kit as such, but Colchester wore yellow at home earlier this year for a league game. (The away kit was that olive green number.)

(When I say it wasn't a third kit as such, I mean it was never sold as a replica kit, and was only ever going to be worn the once.)

And the season before that, in a key game against Southend that effectively relegated Southend and kept Colchester up, the U's wore blue and white stripes when the normal home kit was all blue.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 20:28]
3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 20:22 - Oct 11 with 1472 viewsMisterBlue

Spurs wore an anniversary kit in 2007 at home, which wasn't their 1st (H) or 2nd (A) shirt.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10047874/sky-sports-vault-
3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 20:25 - Oct 11 with 1443 viewsLankHenners

Arsenal had to do it in the Europa league a couple of seasons ago because whoever they were playing had a red home kit and a white away one (or vice versa maybe) which clashed with Arsenal's home colours, but for a league game I can't think of anything.

There'll have been several cases of 'keepers wearing a 3rd or alternative kit of some kind because of a clash but for the whole team must be very rare if not unique.

Pretty sure the rule about what kits a club is allowed to wear was only changed recently (as in for this season) to relax the rules on wearing different kits at home to cater for colourblind viewers so quite possible that we're a first, although may happen more as a result. We may be the only club to do it for a non colourblind or commemorative reason though!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 22:24 - Oct 11 with 1268 viewsHighgateBlue

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 20:25 - Oct 11 by LankHenners

Arsenal had to do it in the Europa league a couple of seasons ago because whoever they were playing had a red home kit and a white away one (or vice versa maybe) which clashed with Arsenal's home colours, but for a league game I can't think of anything.

There'll have been several cases of 'keepers wearing a 3rd or alternative kit of some kind because of a clash but for the whole team must be very rare if not unique.

Pretty sure the rule about what kits a club is allowed to wear was only changed recently (as in for this season) to relax the rules on wearing different kits at home to cater for colourblind viewers so quite possible that we're a first, although may happen more as a result. We may be the only club to do it for a non colourblind or commemorative reason though!

That's quite the accolade for what is generally a sensible and well-run club!
3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 22:36 - Oct 11 with 1241 viewsTrequartista

Our red training tops were worn in a league game at home to Tranmere in 1998.

(worn by Tranmere that is)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 22:38 - Oct 11 with 1231 viewsbournemouthblue

England tend to pull stunts like this, we surely can't be the first to do this though?

Man United are bound to have done something like this before

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 22:41 - Oct 11 with 1222 viewsPhilTWTD

Was told clubs can ask permission of the EFL for one-off games now, so probably won't be uncommon going forward.
Login to get fewer ads

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 22:52 - Oct 11 with 1188 viewsitfcjoe

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 20:21 - Oct 11 by Sharkey

It wasn't really a third kit as such, but Colchester wore yellow at home earlier this year for a league game. (The away kit was that olive green number.)

(When I say it wasn't a third kit as such, I mean it was never sold as a replica kit, and was only ever going to be worn the once.)

And the season before that, in a key game against Southend that effectively relegated Southend and kept Colchester up, the U's wore blue and white stripes when the normal home kit was all blue.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 20:28]

Wasn’t that a special kit to raise money for Ukraine and they sold them off afterwards?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 23:27 - Oct 11 with 1136 viewsSharkey

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 22:52 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

Wasn’t that a special kit to raise money for Ukraine and they sold them off afterwards?

Yes, and it actually raised a decent amount of money.
3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 05:49 - Oct 12 with 959 viewsKieran_Knows

Aaron Ramsdale (and Leno) the Arsenal keepers at several times last season wore their away shirt as the GK shirt as kits clashed.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 08:08 - Oct 12 with 861 viewsEly_Blue

In the past I always remember that in European/international games that if there was a kit clash it was the home team that changed their kit to their away kit.

I don’t know when this rule changed or if it was indeed a written rule at all

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 00:18 - Oct 13 with 684 viewsSharkey

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 22:38 - Oct 11 by bournemouthblue

England tend to pull stunts like this, we surely can't be the first to do this though?

Man United are bound to have done something like this before

Man Utd have always changed their home kit for Europe, but (as far as I know) by switching their shorts and socks, not their shirts.
3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 15:44 - Oct 13 with 492 viewsoldburian

3rd kit at home - has it happened before? on 08:08 - Oct 12 by Ely_Blue

In the past I always remember that in European/international games that if there was a kit clash it was the home team that changed their kit to their away kit.

I don’t know when this rule changed or if it was indeed a written rule at all

Certainly when I started watching in the 50’s the home side changed in the FA Cup. Also at one time Preston NE, as the first winners of the League, were granted the exclusivity of wearing white. Certainly these days that is an honour they have pleased to lose with selling strips.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024