Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich 18:53 - Sep 11 with 7661 viewsKungfuBlue

I’ve heard repeatedly both in person and on here just how crap Ipswich is as a place.

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I disagree. Having come into the area from a small nothing town in Cambridgeshire I really appreciate all that the town offers, from the array of shops (could always be more of course) to the stunning parks - Christchurch is a gem in the towns crown, to the waterside and all bars / restaurants for both my generation and the younger generation. You have lovely areas down St Peter’s and St Nicholas street with independent shops, bars and restaurants, many other park areas and some great pubs. Plus the mighty Portman Rd.

I get some areas are better than others and a lot have their issues but for me Ipswich is a great town and has a lot going for it.

What annoys me a little is some of the people that tell me Ipswich is S**t don’t even go there or have never lived elsewhere.

Ipswich on 09:22 - Sep 12 with 992 viewsSomethingBlue

Ipswich on 09:08 - Sep 12 by hatch

Short of making this a Sheffield thread, fully agreed on all the positivity it’s getting. Hence my avatar which is the sheff uni logo from when I was there.

Ipswich has its shortcomings but it’s home and I like going back for nostalgia. Once they truly link the town to the waterfront it will be heaps better. The Botanist should hopefully bring some buzz back to the cornhill area too.

Was in the Botanist on a rare Friday night visit to Ipswich a couple of months ago and it *almost* felt like the evenings I remember in town from 20-25 years back ... a few more places like that (independent preferably but can't have it all) would be great.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Ipswich on 09:23 - Sep 12 with 983 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ipswich on 09:06 - Sep 12 by Bluefields

Lived here for 34 years and the town centre is a sh*t hole.

It seems to me the people who've lived in Ipswich for years are the ones who are most critical. It has changed, that's undeniable. But there are plenty of worst places around. Last time I was back (pre-covid admittedly) we thought it was very pleasant. The town centre is miles ahead of Swansea and many of the towns over in this part of the world. The supposed worst parts of places like Norwich Road, Chantry and the bottom end of Foxhall Road would be mid-range over here.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ipswich on 09:53 - Sep 12 with 927 viewsmonytowbray

Ipswich on 08:42 - Sep 12 by Leaky

Whats right with it

Coes is arguably an Ipswich institution.

Got the Brewers and the Smokehouse too just round the corner. There’s that shop that sells band merch too.

We all know Norwich Road is a dog whistle code for something else people won’t commit to saying out loud.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Ipswich on 09:55 - Sep 12 with 927 viewsclive_baker

People that slate Ipswich too hard generally either do so with some degree of bias (Norwich folk) or they're lived pretty sheltered lives and have zero idea what a true sh1t hole looks like. Ipswich is by no means bad, for all the reasons you mention. It's the oldest continually inhabited settlment in England and as a result some of the architecture is stunning. Of course like all big towns it has it's less nice areas but the public spaces are brilliantly maintained, the waterfront regeneration has really improved that area too. Think I said it before on here if you think about central Ipswich there's that rectangle down from Christchurch Park, through Lloyds avenue, Museum Street are and the Town centre, through Cromwell square and St Nicholas St down to the water / docks that has loads to offer.

Another factor that makes it a good place to live for me is you're about 10 minutes out to the lovels Suffolk Countryside, 20 minutes to the beach and busiest commercial port in the UK, got the more twee Aldeburgh, Woodbridge, Southwold relatively close too and can jump on a train from Ipswich station and be in the City of London in 59 minutes.

Bath or Cambridge it isn't but it's certainly above average for the UK IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ipswich on 09:55 - Sep 12 with 924 viewsmonytowbray

Ipswich on 09:23 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

It seems to me the people who've lived in Ipswich for years are the ones who are most critical. It has changed, that's undeniable. But there are plenty of worst places around. Last time I was back (pre-covid admittedly) we thought it was very pleasant. The town centre is miles ahead of Swansea and many of the towns over in this part of the world. The supposed worst parts of places like Norwich Road, Chantry and the bottom end of Foxhall Road would be mid-range over here.

The architecture is stunning in town, shame nothing lives in much of the buildings.

I’d like to see a limit on how many more chains we get in favour of local businesses. The Microshops could evolve into a nice little thing.

TWTD never forgets…

Ipswich on 09:57 - Sep 12 with 925 viewsbrazil1982

Ipswich on 09:23 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

Agree. I live in the North and there are for worse towns I have visited and would not like to live in. Ipswich is very green and has a lot of good areas to live.

What strikes me is how big the town centre is, relative to the size of the town. Is it a mile from St Matthews St to end of Carr St? Used to be packed with shops I agree, but even so, that's a lot of area. The "centre" needs to shrink to improve the look.
Ipswich on 10:02 - Sep 12 with 917 viewsleitrimblue

If your that impressed with Ipswich wait until you see Haverhill. The jewel of the Stour
Ipswich on 10:08 - Sep 12 with 905 viewslazyblue

Unfortunately from the 90s it has gone down hill , should never have lost the airport!
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich on 10:10 - Sep 12 with 902 viewsbaxterbasics

Ipswich on 08:55 - Sep 12 by bluelou

The Maharani

Coes is nice. Amazed it's held out in that spot.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Ipswich on 10:13 - Sep 12 with 893 viewsMattinLondon

Ipswich on 09:55 - Sep 12 by monytowbray

The architecture is stunning in town, shame nothing lives in much of the buildings.

I’d like to see a limit on how many more chains we get in favour of local businesses. The Microshops could evolve into a nice little thing.

Regarding the architecture I totally agree - off topic I know, in a similar way Bradford is exactly the same. Lots of attractive early twentieth and late nineteenth century buildings but nothing in them of real note. Apparently it’s too close to Leeds to have money invested in it.
Ipswich on 10:13 - Sep 12 with 897 viewsbaxterbasics

I've lived in or near Ipswich since 1987, barring a few short years elsewhere. It's hard to avoid the feeling of 'gone downhill' but maybe that's what happens as you get older and notice more things.

Thinking about other towns and cities around the UK, it could be worse I guess.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Ipswich on 10:22 - Sep 12 with 885 viewsMookamoo

Best thing to happen for the town centre is Debenhams closing. Once that building becomes flats, Grimwades and the Red Lion will become places to eat. Same with old Co-op building at the other end.

Once people start living in the centre and we shift away from thinking it should be retail, Ipswich will thrive. Cambridge is too expensive, Norwich is too far away and Colchester is in Essex. I hate Essex....

Plus it looks like we might finally be getting an Arts Centre style venue opposite the Buttermarket.
Ipswich on 10:34 - Sep 12 with 858 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Ipswich on 19:34 - Sep 11 by judespiveyg

My take is that for most people in Suffolk, the only comparably sized places that make sense to go to are Cambridge and Norwich, both of which are seriously above average places, so Ipswich seems less good than it actually is. It's definitely a nice place to live, even if its maybe a little bit dull in some regards.

I moved to Sheffield in 2020 for uni and while the city itself confirmed to me that Ipswich definitely has its shortcomings, (maybe a bit unfair because I absolutely love Sheff) the surrounding towns I've visited (Rotherham, Doncaster etc) have made me really appreciate that Ipswich is perfectly nice and far from a sh*thole.

Ipswich is a 6 maybe 7 out of 10 place, and there's absolutely no shame in that.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2022 19:37]

This is a great post summing it up.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Ipswich on 10:35 - Sep 12 with 856 viewsclive_baker

Ipswich on 10:22 - Sep 12 by Mookamoo

Best thing to happen for the town centre is Debenhams closing. Once that building becomes flats, Grimwades and the Red Lion will become places to eat. Same with old Co-op building at the other end.

Once people start living in the centre and we shift away from thinking it should be retail, Ipswich will thrive. Cambridge is too expensive, Norwich is too far away and Colchester is in Essex. I hate Essex....

Plus it looks like we might finally be getting an Arts Centre style venue opposite the Buttermarket.

Absolutely right. We have a housing crisis in the country at the same time as we have empty retail units and other retailers and hospitality dying on their ar5e, it makes no sense. The sooner town centres lose a big chunk of their retail space and replace it / convert it for residential, the better for everyone. The better for the retail that is left with more people living locally and the better for those priced out of having a roof over their heads.

Ipswich on 10:37 - Sep 12 with 856 viewstextbackup

I'm 37 years Ipswich born and bred....

I will do everything in my power these days to not go in Ipswich town centre, the people, its horrible.

granted still some nice shops/cafes/bars.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ipswich on 10:37 - Sep 12 with 853 viewsmonytowbray

Ipswich on 10:22 - Sep 12 by Mookamoo

Got the Baths and the weird Churchy thing by the Tory Club/p1ss alley is gonna become a venue too. Good for music. Although one of the main reasons I settled in Ipswich returning to Suffolk from the south was music scene - it’s much healthier here than most UK towns and even cities.

My idea for Ipswich was to take the grass verge on the riverside by between the skate park and trains, build decking over the water with some wooden retail huts and allocate X amount to food and drink places. Would be a real European summer vibe. I’ve seen signs that they may be developing that land soon though, anyone ITK about what is going on there?

One thing I cannot stand about Ipswich is the homelessness challenge though. There’s a lot of homeless folk in Ipswich and it largely feels like they’ve been abandoned. The accommodation options here are struggling to keep up with the numbers and our local MP is, well, what do I need to say we don’t already know. There are so many empty buildings in Ipswich and it really feels like we could do more to help by clicking a finger within local government.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 10:40]

TWTD never forgets…

Ipswich on 10:44 - Sep 12 with 838 viewsclive_baker

Ipswich on 09:53 - Sep 12 by monytowbray

Coes is arguably an Ipswich institution.

Got the Brewers and the Smokehouse too just round the corner. There’s that shop that sells band merch too.

We all know Norwich Road is a dog whistle code for something else people won’t commit to saying out loud.

Is St Jude's still a tihng? Used to smell like farts but other than that it's an interesting place, architecturally and in terms of the beers on offer.

Ipswich on 10:50 - Sep 12 with 824 viewsmonytowbray

Ipswich on 10:44 - Sep 12 by clive_baker

Is St Jude's still a tihng? Used to smell like farts but other than that it's an interesting place, architecturally and in terms of the beers on offer.

Yes it is! Should have mentioned that, but again weird old place as you say. Bit sure if in a good or a bad way but if it went I’d say that’s a shame. As someone who doesn’t really drink I don’t do pubs, but we have a lot of good ones in Ipswich. Just wish the chains would F off so the indies can thrive.

TWTD never forgets…

Ipswich on 10:54 - Sep 12 with 813 viewstextbackup

Ipswich on 10:50 - Sep 12 by monytowbray

Yes it is! Should have mentioned that, but again weird old place as you say. Bit sure if in a good or a bad way but if it went I’d say that’s a shame. As someone who doesn’t really drink I don’t do pubs, but we have a lot of good ones in Ipswich. Just wish the chains would F off so the indies can thrive.

Ipswich is seriously lacking in nightclubs.

i went by Revs saturday night, and the queue was mental, but there is literally only there to go to (if a certain age, and liking that kind of thing)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ipswich on 10:59 - Sep 12 with 803 viewsSteve_M

Ipswich on 22:01 - Sep 11 by Vic

25 years ago I moved out of Ipswich to go to north London. I was quite shocked when I moved back 10 years later. It had undoubtedly lost something in that time. The Buttermarket never took Orr, always half empty and had/has little atmosphere. Tower Ramparts gradually emptied. So many shops disappeared and were not replaced by comparable outlets. Likewise The Walk and the Odeon. Most of Tavern Street is shot!

But on the plus side the Waterfront is lovely, St Nicholas and St Peter’s Street are brilliant, as is the area around Cineworld. Sadly we’re also caught in some politics between the Borough Council and the County Council - people are trying but it will take some time.

I think we have to accept Ipswich for what it is - we’re more working class than Cambridge and Norwich. We have got into a bit of a moaning mentality - and it seems trendy to have a pop at anyone who tries to do anything to change things.

Plus - we’ve had a slowly declining footie team that until a few months ago we’d all but given up on. The state of our club really has affected how we see all things Ipswich. Hopefully the whole town will mirror the rise of the football club.

"We have got into a bit of a moaning mentality - and it seems trendy to have a pop at anyone who tries to do anything to change things."

Very much this IMO for Ipswich. Plus, as others have said, a lot of people really aren't comparing it to places that really are sh1tholes nor taking into account the general decline of town centres nationally to online retail, and the likes of Westfield.

In some regards, Ipswich is a lot better than it was when I was growing up - increased student numbers coming into the town, restaurants, even music venues are coming back after a bit of a drought.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ipswich on 11:10 - Sep 12 with 783 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

With my job, I travel all the round the UK, multiple different towns and cities, i feel like I've been everywhere now.

Give me Ipswich over 90% of them.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Ipswich on 11:17 - Sep 12 with 767 viewsMookamoo

Ipswich on 10:59 - Sep 12 by Steve_M

"We have got into a bit of a moaning mentality - and it seems trendy to have a pop at anyone who tries to do anything to change things."

Very much this IMO for Ipswich. Plus, as others have said, a lot of people really aren't comparing it to places that really are sh1tholes nor taking into account the general decline of town centres nationally to online retail, and the likes of Westfield.

In some regards, Ipswich is a lot better than it was when I was growing up - increased student numbers coming into the town, restaurants, even music venues are coming back after a bit of a drought.

Students will become more relevant as the Uni gets established. Hopefully the new music venues will help this and long term investment will then follow.

I mean, you can get bubble tea in at least 2 different places now.
Ipswich on 11:24 - Sep 12 with 755 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Ipswich on 10:37 - Sep 12 by textbackup

I'm 37 years Ipswich born and bred....

I will do everything in my power these days to not go in Ipswich town centre, the people, its horrible.

granted still some nice shops/cafes/bars.

That bad now?
Ipswich on 11:25 - Sep 12 with 748 viewsmonytowbray

Ipswich on 11:17 - Sep 12 by Mookamoo

Students will become more relevant as the Uni gets established. Hopefully the new music venues will help this and long term investment will then follow.

I mean, you can get bubble tea in at least 2 different places now.

Students will give Ipswich the same progressive push that makes places like N*rwich, Brighton and Manc so lively and cultured.

No one tell Tom Hunt this though, he’ll start screaming about Cultural Marxism again.

TWTD never forgets…

Ipswich on 11:38 - Sep 12 with 734 viewsBlueySwede

I have visited Ipswich about 15-20 times since 2003, and I have always loved the place. I feel like it´s my second home town.
Sure, I guess its hard to compare a town if you live there or come there as a tourist. When you travel (and most of the time have a few drinks) you tend to see the good things only.
I love the Waterfront. The parks. Take a walk up to The Greyhound on match days, a visit to. The Plough after the game. Maybe the town centre isn´t the most stylish, but certainly there are much worse places both in the UK and certainly in the world.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 11:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024