Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich 18:53 - Sep 11 with 7658 viewsKungfuBlue

I’ve heard repeatedly both in person and on here just how crap Ipswich is as a place.

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I disagree. Having come into the area from a small nothing town in Cambridgeshire I really appreciate all that the town offers, from the array of shops (could always be more of course) to the stunning parks - Christchurch is a gem in the towns crown, to the waterside and all bars / restaurants for both my generation and the younger generation. You have lovely areas down St Peter’s and St Nicholas street with independent shops, bars and restaurants, many other park areas and some great pubs. Plus the mighty Portman Rd.

I get some areas are better than others and a lot have their issues but for me Ipswich is a great town and has a lot going for it.

What annoys me a little is some of the people that tell me Ipswich is S**t don’t even go there or have never lived elsewhere.

Ipswich on 14:34 - Sep 12 with 642 viewsMookamoo

Ipswich on 10:54 - Sep 12 by textbackup

Ipswich is seriously lacking in nightclubs.

i went by Revs saturday night, and the queue was mental, but there is literally only there to go to (if a certain age, and liking that kind of thing)

#bringbackoliviers

and Hollywoods on a Monday night.
Ipswich on 14:47 - Sep 12 with 615 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Ipswich on 14:28 - Sep 12 by SomethingBlue

I think it was already Zest, and going downhill, when the shooting happened but others may correct me.

Kartouche on Monday and Thursday nights in the late 90s/early 2000s was ace.

Yes it was already Zest. Used to like it in there.
Ipswich on 14:48 - Sep 12 with 610 viewsjudespiveyg

Ipswich on 07:40 - Sep 12 by iamatractorboy

You've hit the nail on the head here, compared to Norwich and Cambridge, Ipswich will always suffer but those are hardly typical towns/small cities. Cambridge gets visitors from all over the world due to the famous University, and also the wealth associated with graduates remaining in the town and taking up high tech jobs at the science park etc. If you want to compare Ipswich to anywhere, Colchester is more apt and I don't think there's much difference between the two there. Comparing to Sheffield is a bit unfair as well though, must be... 4 times the size, population-wise?

I don't disagree with you on Colchester, but unless you live south of Ipswich there's almost never a reason to go there because the both the A12 and A14 take you past Ipswich anyway, so it makes sense to just stop there, which is probably why they don't get compared all that much.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 14:56]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Ipswich on 14:58 - Sep 12 with 581 viewsclive_baker

Ipswich on 14:30 - Sep 12 by baxterbasics

Zest! That's the one I forgot.

Yes it lost its license over that stabbing and the general problem that these places now become overspills for London based gang activity. A long term issue it seems.

Yeah I think I heard similar, guess the proximity to the station might've contributed to that and pushing drugs out of the big smoke on country folk. Probably what would today be called county lines activity.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ipswich on 15:01 - Sep 12 with 573 viewseastangliaisblue

Ipswich on 14:58 - Sep 12 by clive_baker

Yeah I think I heard similar, guess the proximity to the station might've contributed to that and pushing drugs out of the big smoke on country folk. Probably what would today be called county lines activity.

It was the same when it was Kartouche. Gangs from London would always be at the Garage music nights. It could be quite intimidating in there at times.
Ipswich on 15:11 - Sep 12 with 550 viewsmonytowbray

Ipswich on 11:50 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

The problem with Norwich Road is you have loads of groups of men who stand around perving on every woman that walks past and makes it uncomfortable - I know charity people who have done work down there who have tried to explain that big groups of men standing blocking roads etc is a really bad look and it seems to go in waves of getting better and getting worse.

i see that in every area of Ipswich. I actually had some issues with similar (and intentionally blocking the road for confrontation) last week on Derby Road on the way to Aldi. The whole town is largely full of large groups of men being a pain in the arse if you live anywhere inside the 'burbs. I think people notice and flag it more on Norwich Road for certain reasons that (again) I think it will take a certain type of poster to say out loud.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Ipswich on 15:24 - Sep 12 with 533 viewsSharkey

Ipswich on 14:48 - Sep 12 by judespiveyg

I don't disagree with you on Colchester, but unless you live south of Ipswich there's almost never a reason to go there because the both the A12 and A14 take you past Ipswich anyway, so it makes sense to just stop there, which is probably why they don't get compared all that much.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 14:56]

I'm from Suffolk and almost never go to Ipswich (maybe three times in the last ten years) but I must admit that you're right, if you're from north of Ipswich I can see no reason to go to Colchester, now there's no tattoo (long gone) and no county cricket (still mourned).

Ipswich on 16:20 - Sep 12 with 484 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich on 15:11 - Sep 12 by monytowbray

i see that in every area of Ipswich. I actually had some issues with similar (and intentionally blocking the road for confrontation) last week on Derby Road on the way to Aldi. The whole town is largely full of large groups of men being a pain in the arse if you live anywhere inside the 'burbs. I think people notice and flag it more on Norwich Road for certain reasons that (again) I think it will take a certain type of poster to say out loud.

What that they are foreign? I don’t really see the issue saying that part out loud - a group of men perving on women are more intimidating when you can’t understand what they are saying to each other as have to put defences up even if what they are saying is innocent

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024