Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday EFL fixtures postponed 21:09 - Sep 8 with 4984 viewsSitfcB

Announcement for Saturday tomorrow morning.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:18 - Sep 8 with 3672 viewsMullet

Seems absolutely mad to me. Doesn't even match precedent does it?

I guess we live in a world of 24hr news and competitive grieving though, so we'll see a very different reaction now everything must be televised etc.

The day for national mourning should be the bank holiday for her funeral, and the period between for reflecting on the state of the nation. As much I despise the institution, it doesn't seem to reflect her as a person or what she'd want if this becomes a wholesale attitude.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:27 - Sep 8 with 3543 viewsJ2BLUE

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:18 - Sep 8 by Mullet

I guess we live in a world of 24hr news and competitive grieving though, so we'll see a very different reaction now everything must be televised etc.

The day for national mourning should be the bank holiday for her funeral, and the period between for reflecting on the state of the nation. As much I despise the institution, it doesn't seem to reflect her as a person or what she'd want if this becomes a wholesale attitude.

I'm hoping this is the token gesture before Saturday's fixtures go ahead.

By the sounds of it we are not getting a proper bank holiday.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:27 - Sep 8 with 3545 viewsTheBoyBlue

When thousands were killed and western democracy was decreed to be under attack in 9/11, football still went ahead at the weekend. Yet one (admittedly significant and rightly respected) 96 year old dies a natural death, peacefully at home and hundreds of football matches are postponed and the businesses (already struggling after Covid and with rising costs) that rely on income from them suffer more? That would be incredibly OTT.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:32 - Sep 8 with 3435 viewsVaughan8

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:27 - Sep 8 by J2BLUE

I WANT MY FOOTBALL!!!!

I CAN ONLY MOURN IF I HAVE A DAY OFF WORK!!!

Why don't you spend your Saturday perfecting your eggs
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:34 - Sep 8 with 3376 viewsJ2BLUE

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:32 - Sep 8 by Vaughan8

I WANT MY FOOTBALL!!!!

I do want my football.

I have respect for the queen and what she achieved but I will not be mourning. She was 96. I will show respect obviously. Oh and yes, I want a bank holiday.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:36 - Sep 8 with 3338 viewsSitfcB

Whatever will be, will be, we can’t control it unfortunately.

Whilst I’ll be disappointed of postponements it won’t be a surprise.

Hopefully tomorrows games are postponed as the token gesture and on Saturday sport will go ahead, I note horse racing has been stopped this evening and tomorrow but not Saturday.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:38 - Sep 8 with 3290 viewsjeera

I especially like how Radlett has held the OP personally responsible for this decision!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:41 - Sep 8 with 3236 viewsQuilterstown

"Competitive grieving"...what a brilliant phrase that captures what I'm seeing in my own area of work (corporate comms in the charity sector), where everyone is terrified to damage relationships with govt/funders/public by actually continuing to work.
Login to get fewer ads

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:49 - Sep 8 with 3121 viewsRyorry

That has to be the ultimate "messenger got shot" downie - & you might still have DavU's to come (or perhaps I'm now deflecting that for you )

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:50 - Sep 8 with 3120 viewsMookamoo

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:27 - Sep 8 by J2BLUE

The plan was to cancel all sporting events. There might be a change in order to help protect businesses. I assume the original plan was drawn up pre-lockdowns. I'm not sure there is the appetite to cancel things anymore.

I think the default position is to cancel the weekend fixtures though.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:55 - Sep 8 with 3004 viewsSarge

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:50 - Sep 8 by Mookamoo

The plan was to cancel all sporting events. There might be a change in order to help protect businesses. I assume the original plan was drawn up pre-lockdowns. I'm not sure there is the appetite to cancel things anymore.

I think the default position is to cancel the weekend fixtures though.

Ah that’s good. No fun allowed but you can go to work. Sounds familiar.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 22:02 - Sep 8 with 2934 viewsITFC_Forever

There is no compulsory bank holiday.

And the funeral should be, according to the London Bridge is down protocol, will be 10 days after her passing, so Sunday 18th September.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 22:06 - Sep 8 with 2862 viewsMullet

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 22:02 - Sep 8 by ITFC_Forever

And the funeral should be, according to the London Bridge is down protocol, will be 10 days after her passing, so Sunday 18th September.

Fair enough. I read earlier we won't close but the funeral will be a bank holiday. Not sure if that had come from the DfE at the time though.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 22:12 - Sep 8 with 2796 viewsPinewoodblue

I’m hoping it will be Monday 19th. Birthday is 18th and will be spending it on a cruise ship. 18th due to anchor off Guernsey which presumably be more or less in lockdown. Monday is a sea day so a funeral on that day wouldn’t be too inconvenient.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 22:45 - Sep 8 with 2588 viewsHighgateBlue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:36 - Sep 8 by SitfcB

Whatever will be, will be, we can’t control it unfortunately.

Whilst I’ll be disappointed of postponements it won’t be a surprise.

Hopefully tomorrows games are postponed as the token gesture and on Saturday sport will go ahead, I note horse racing has been stopped this evening and tomorrow but not Saturday.

I don't think there's been an announcement on Saturday's racing. The Classics are so important to the bloodstock industry, and the Queen was such a huge supporter of it, I very much doubt she would want the St Leger being postponed. It was cancelled in 1939 due to the war, but happened every other year during the war, and the Derby didn't miss a running during either war.

Tonight's racing was stopped once the announcement was made of her passing. Friday's is off altogether. That's a decent gesture. I think after that we should just be allowed to get on with things. Long live the king and all that stuff.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 23:47 - Sep 8 with 2368 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 22:45 - Sep 8 by HighgateBlue

I don't think there's been an announcement on Saturday's racing. The Classics are so important to the bloodstock industry, and the Queen was such a huge supporter of it, I very much doubt she would want the St Leger being postponed. It was cancelled in 1939 due to the war, but happened every other year during the war, and the Derby didn't miss a running during either war.

Tonight's racing was stopped once the announcement was made of her passing. Friday's is off altogether. That's a decent gesture. I think after that we should just be allowed to get on with things. Long live the king and all that stuff.

Well said.

Unfortunately I am pretty confident that racing will be off Saturday and so will the football. Meaning I’ll be left with the College football, the NRL and the UFC for my sporting fix. Whereas it should be those three plus Towen at Portman Road and the St Leger which I’d planned to record without knowing the result. Shame.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 01:59 - Sep 9 with 2141 viewsIllinoisblue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 23:47 - Sep 8 by The_Romford_Blue

Well said.

Unfortunately I am pretty confident that racing will be off Saturday and so will the football. Meaning I’ll be left with the College football, the NRL and the UFC for my sporting fix. Whereas it should be those three plus Towen at Portman Road and the St Leger which I’d planned to record without knowing the result. Shame.

She loved the horses, bloody loved them. What good does it do to cancel the racing? Who benefits?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:05 - Sep 9 with 1781 viewsElderGrizzly

State Funerals cannot happen on a Sunday.

It will be Monday 19th at the earliest, possibly Tuesday 20th. Charles will decide today if it is 10 or 12 days of national mourning.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:09 - Sep 9 with 1742 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:05 - Sep 9 by ElderGrizzly

State Funerals cannot happen on a Sunday.

It will be Monday 19th at the earliest, possibly Tuesday 20th. Charles will decide today if it is 10 or 12 days of national mourning.

So Sunday it is then.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:35 - Sep 9 with 1649 viewsNthQldITFC

The things that The Queen represented to me more than anything else were quietness, respect and consideration for people, traditions and the environment we all live in.

I don't really care whether football goes ahead tomorrow or not, because it doesn't really matter. I don't mean that it doesn't really matter in the context of The Queen's death, I mean that it doesn't really matter in the context of those slow, traditional values which she represented to me.

Racing around, shouting out our opinions, and responding to advertising has cost our souls so much peace which perhaps many of us don't even realise we've lost. I'm not actually all that old although I might seem it in the context of my posts on here sometimes, but I do feel that practising the values of my parents' and grandparents' and Her Majesty's eras would do us all the world of good.

I'd love to see Town thrash Cambridge tomorrow, but I can wait and go for a nice long walk with the metaphorical Corgis instead.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:37 - Sep 9 with 1630 viewstractordownsouth

It’s completely wrong. We’re in an economic crisis and we’re making people lose out on pre-booked annual leave and potentially hundreds of pounds of train and match tickets. The EFL and Premier League should be reimbursing every single fan.

It’s perfectly possible to show respect without resorting to cancellation. Have a minute’s silence or even a lengthy memorial beforehand but there’s absolutely no need to cancel the games.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:45 - Sep 9 with 1560 viewsSamuelowen88

Even the football on yesterday evening was changed.

I checked on the BBC sport page, ans rather than their normal text commentary there was just the vidiprinter showing the facts.

Poll: England v Wales Score

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:47 - Sep 9 with 1534 viewsMookamoo

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 01:59 - Sep 9 by Illinoisblue

She loved the horses, bloody loved them. What good does it do to cancel the racing? Who benefits?

Those that are ambivalent towards the royals have to recognise there are a lot of people that will have been deeply moved by the events of yesterday.

There will be people that don't want to work this weekend.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:50 - Sep 9 with 1532 viewsCityBlue

Saturday provides a national opportunity to pay respects to her majesty.....not many people will be able to attend such large gatherings between now and the funeral. Seems appropriate to have the games go ahead...I know that is what she would have wanted.

I T I D

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:05 - Sep 9 with 1388 viewsZXBlue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:32 - Sep 8 by Vaughan8

I WANT MY FOOTBALL!!!!

Most people don't need to mourn. Most people did not know the lady. The reason for this sort of cancellation seems to be an arbitrary expectation ratehr than anything logical.

Surely, a death should remind us all that we need to make the most of each day, rather than stopping and not doing the normal stuff.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024