Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament 12:19 - Sep 2 with 2271 viewstractordownsouth

Not sure how they managed to bypass security but I think this is a much better way of protesting than sitting in the road and blocking traffic. It targets the people who actually have the power to change things rather than causing problems for the public and turning people who are sympathetic to the environmental cause against it because of their methods.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 12:20]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:29 - Sep 2 with 1772 viewsDarth_Koont

Bit of both needed.

It’s not just the politicians that need to sit up and take notice. Because if the general public don’t stir then neither will the politicians.

As it stands, neither of the parties who can do something in government are even saying enough let alone doing enough. There is a massive opportunity to invest in green industry and at the same time start resolving many of our economic, regional, infrastructure and utilities issues. But it needs someone to seize the opportunity and lead the way – and we don’t have anyone even with the will to do that currently.

Pronouns: He/Him

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:30 - Sep 2 with 1770 viewsZx1988

Hmm... I wonder how the potential punishments that they might receive for this will compare to the punishments they would have received had they done this anywhere other than Parliament?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:35 - Sep 2 with 1743 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good. It'd work better if Parliament wasn't in recess, but more people need to wake up about this.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:40 - Sep 2 with 1712 viewstractordownsouth

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:29 - Sep 2 by Darth_Koont

Bit of both needed.

It’s not just the politicians that need to sit up and take notice. Because if the general public don’t stir then neither will the politicians.

As it stands, neither of the parties who can do something in government are even saying enough let alone doing enough. There is a massive opportunity to invest in green industry and at the same time start resolving many of our economic, regional, infrastructure and utilities issues. But it needs someone to seize the opportunity and lead the way – and we don’t have anyone even with the will to do that currently.

I think this fulfils both functions - it's aimed at the people with power and it will probably make the news (or it will do if these protests are regular) without stories like this damaging the support for the wider cause.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/andrew-pierce/insulate-britain-m25-eco-pr

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/motorist-pleads-with-selfish-eco-protesters-to-allow-

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:42 - Sep 2 with 1705 viewsWeWereZombies

Elsewhere, and it might seem like just a drop in the ocean, another good initiative from an environmental activist group:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/9/2/greenpeace-drops-boulders-in-uk-sea-agai

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:46 - Sep 2 with 1676 viewsNthQldITFC

I'd support any form of protest that stands a chance of shaking the politicians and the public out of their comas.

I (pretty much literally) cannot understand the bulk of people who still aren't facing the issue in any meaningful way.

It's like, your child has a critical, near terminal health condition, and desperately needs a bone marrow transplant, and your more interested in taking them down to the swings and buying them a new pair of trainers.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:49 - Sep 2 with 1665 viewsDarth_Koont

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:40 - Sep 2 by tractordownsouth

I think this fulfils both functions - it's aimed at the people with power and it will probably make the news (or it will do if these protests are regular) without stories like this damaging the support for the wider cause.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/andrew-pierce/insulate-britain-m25-eco-pr

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/motorist-pleads-with-selfish-eco-protesters-to-allow-

The reactionaries will always find another way of dismissing them. That’s what they do.

And far too many people in the general public will always ignore them.

The Insulate Britain people put house insulation on the agenda as a concept. And are stopping it being overlooked and ignored as it has been in the past. That’s the aim, not to establish themselves and their own organisation as the actual agents of the needed change.

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:49 - Sep 2 with 1665 viewsFtnfwest

back from pony trekking in the Dordogne then
Login to get fewer ads

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:55 - Sep 2 with 1641 viewsGlasgowBlue

A citizens assembly is a fair demand.

As a country I think we need a national debate in every region in how the country should move forward. Big changes are need in health, energy, climate change.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:56 - Sep 2 with 1636 viewsSwansea_Blue

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 12:42 - Sep 2 by WeWereZombies

Elsewhere, and it might seem like just a drop in the ocean, another good initiative from an environmental activist group:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/9/2/greenpeace-drops-boulders-in-uk-sea-agai

"just a drop in the ocean"

*groans*

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:14 - Sep 2 with 1563 viewsmeekreech

It is surely time these idiots grew up and realised they are doing more harm to their cause. They need to stop taking stupid actions where they inconvenience the general public and cause problems with everyday life. The police must start to behave in a manner where they are seen to be taking control of the situation and defending the rights of people to follow their own paths without being hampered by sometimes illegal and also dangerous activities. They have plenty of ideas for banning fuels and transport but they never give any solutions.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:17 - Sep 2 with 1548 viewsPendejo

Let the people decide?

Presumably this includes those who keep returning a Tory Government at General Elections and voted yes to Brexit.

The above point is made somewhat facetiously as it is the media owners and their specific selfish agendas that informs the public to vote against their own interests.

Power, corruption and lies!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:18 - Sep 2 with 1538 viewsZx1988

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:14 - Sep 2 by meekreech

It is surely time these idiots grew up and realised they are doing more harm to their cause. They need to stop taking stupid actions where they inconvenience the general public and cause problems with everyday life. The police must start to behave in a manner where they are seen to be taking control of the situation and defending the rights of people to follow their own paths without being hampered by sometimes illegal and also dangerous activities. They have plenty of ideas for banning fuels and transport but they never give any solutions.

Weird flex, that, given that we would be in a better position now to deal with rising energy prices if their demands that old housing stock be better-insulated been listened to.

It's almost as if they actually know what they're talking about.

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:19 - Sep 2 with 1509 viewsBlueBadger

What is it about impending climate catastrophe you like best, the increased flooding the mass extinctions of vulnerable species or increases in droughts?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:35 - Sep 2 with 1424 viewsWacko

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:18 - Sep 2 by Zx1988

Weird flex, that, given that we would be in a better position now to deal with rising energy prices if their demands that old housing stock be better-insulated been listened to.

It's almost as if they actually know what they're talking about.

You might be confusing them with Insulate Britain but they do have good points that should be taken seriously

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:38 - Sep 2 with 1407 viewsSwansea_Blue

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:19 - Sep 2 by BlueBadger

What is it about impending climate catastrophe you like best, the increased flooding the mass extinctions of vulnerable species or increases in droughts?

And the curbing of protests and police control. Don’t forget the police control!

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:39 - Sep 2 with 1406 viewsZx1988

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:35 - Sep 2 by Wacko

You might be confusing them with Insulate Britain but they do have good points that should be taken seriously

True - I suppose I tend to lump them all in together given the broad tenor of the points that they all make, and the fact that there is probably a lot of overlap between the various groups.

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:46 - Sep 2 with 1379 viewstractordownsouth

I opposed the road blockages for the same reason but that doesn't apply here - it's aimed at people with the power to change things and doesn't have negative effects on everyday folk who haven't done anything wrong.

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 13:50 - Sep 2 with 1355 viewsNthQldITFC

I'm not going to call you an idiot, but either your post is full of idiotic, selfish and short-sighted sentiment or I am an idiot for not being able to understand it more clearly.

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 14:33 - Sep 2 with 1253 viewsDarth_Koont

They’ll never take our freedom!

Or our ignorance!

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 15:21 - Sep 2 with 1164 viewsBlueForYou

What a bunch of total Muppets. This kind of thing turns people away from any serious points they may or may not have! Why don't they actually stand for Parliament..??
Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 17:09 - Sep 2 with 1039 viewsJ2BLUE

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 15:21 - Sep 2 by BlueForYou

What a bunch of total Muppets. This kind of thing turns people away from any serious points they may or may not have! Why don't they actually stand for Parliament..??

How so? They are literally inconveniencing no one here. It's just a shame parliament wasn't in session.

It feels like everything is coming to a head and the people are about to demand real change. We need major changes to every day life.

I hope all of these groups and the living standards groups unite and force chance. We should be using every peaceful means to force change.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 17:57 - Sep 2 with 986 viewsNthQldITFC

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 15:21 - Sep 2 by BlueForYou

'any serious points they may or may not have'

You sound a bit like a climate change denier there, mate. Hopefully I'm reading you wrong. In 2022.

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 18:09 - Sep 2 with 932 viewsBlueForYou

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 17:57 - Sep 2 by NthQldITFC

You sound a bit like a climate change denier there, mate. Hopefully I'm reading you wrong. In 2022.

Well, how about my suggestion that they get properly organised & fight for seats in Parliament? If they are serious & feel their cause is that worthy, then do something positive & change things positively. At the moment they are a rag tag collection of quite embarrassing &
childish individuals. The planet is changing, life changes & evolves, sometimes not for the better. One thing I particularly agree on, is plastics & the dumping of them. They would get far more support if they stopped glueing themselves to roads, etc.
Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 18:14 - Sep 2 with 921 viewsBlueForYou

Extinction Rebellion protest in parliament on 17:57 - Sep 2 by NthQldITFC

Sorry duplicated the post & couldn't delete. Anyway, up the town! That's what this forum is for.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 18:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024