Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory candidates and a serious economist 10:00 - Jul 12 with 1190 viewsmylittletown

Jonathan Portes is unimpressed. The candidates really are a bunch of fools yet their electorate will probably agree with them.

“There’s just a bizarre disconnect from reality on the part of all of them,” said Jonathan Portes, a professor of economics and public policy at Kings College London. “They’re just off in this fantasy land, talking about tax cuts.”
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:03 - Jul 12 with 1166 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Could you imagine if it was labour candidates saying this. They would get pelted. Hopefully this myth that the Tories are a safe pair of hands with the economy can end soon.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:06 - Jul 12 with 1143 viewsChurchman

Since when did they ever have a grip on reality? It’s all bogus ideology and blame. Their actions in 12 years show nothing else.

I’m no economist, but I do have a qualification or two in the subject and nothing they’ve done has made any sense to me. To quote Mick McCarthy - bonkers.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:08 - Jul 12 with 1124 viewsclive_baker

They're saying what they think they need to to get elected, without any detailed consideration of the impact of such claims and costing them out. It's a nonsense really, can you imagine the uproar if that's a Labour politician, they would be asked to show their workings immediately and accused of bankrupting the country.

I lean towards Sunak as the best of a terrible bunch, but it's really not a good position that we find ourselves in.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:17 - Jul 12 with 1078 viewsZXBlue

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:08 - Jul 12 by clive_baker

They're saying what they think they need to to get elected, without any detailed consideration of the impact of such claims and costing them out. It's a nonsense really, can you imagine the uproar if that's a Labour politician, they would be asked to show their workings immediately and accused of bankrupting the country.

I lean towards Sunak as the best of a terrible bunch, but it's really not a good position that we find ourselves in.

This would be the sunak who worked shoulder to shoulder with johnson and enjoyed non dom status whilst taxing us? The one who only found a conscience at the last moment when he could see which way the electoral wind was blowing?

He is a disgrace.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:18 - Jul 12 with 1071 viewsGuthrum

Precisely this. Soundbites and slogans to turn on sections of the grassroots Conservative membership.

The problem all candidates have is that they need to get themselves elected by that membership before they can even think about how to actually run the country. A membership heavily infiltrated by UKIP types since the mid-2010s, hence how Johnson got in.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:23 - Jul 12 with 1050 viewsTractorBrew

It is absolutely bonkers what some of them are proposing. Scarily Rishi is the only one putting forward a feasible approach but he could have influenced this already if so (or maybe he did, and not being allowed to execute it was the issue?).

Zahawi plans terrify me, we will be left with crumbling infrastructure and lack of capability in departments all round. Sure there are some cuts and efficiencies to be had, but to say 20% everywhere is madness.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:26 - Jul 12 with 1025 viewsGuthrum

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:17 - Jul 12 by ZXBlue

This would be the sunak who worked shoulder to shoulder with johnson and enjoyed non dom status whilst taxing us? The one who only found a conscience at the last moment when he could see which way the electoral wind was blowing?

He is a disgrace.

While all that is true, which among the candidates are the ones most likely to be able to run the country with some degree of competence over the coming months*? We've still got to live here.

* Rather than student politicians playing at "Culture Wars", or destroying public services and crushing poor working families in order to shore up comfortably-off voters and party donors with tax cuts.

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:33 - Jul 12 with 1000 viewsGuthrum

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:03 - Jul 12 by TRUE_BLUE123

Could you imagine if it was labour candidates saying this. They would get pelted. Hopefully this myth that the Tories are a safe pair of hands with the economy can end soon.

Historically there have been as many slumps under the Conservatives (early 1980s, early 1990s, now) as under Labour. Yet the myth persists of superior Tory economic competence.

Login to get fewer ads

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:35 - Jul 12 with 992 viewsWeWereZombies

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:26 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

While all that is true, which among the candidates are the ones most likely to be able to run the country with some degree of competence over the coming months*? We've still got to live here.

* Rather than student politicians playing at "Culture Wars", or destroying public services and crushing poor working families in order to shore up comfortably-off voters and party donors with tax cuts.

Put like that then perhaps the only way out of this IS for there to be a crushing vote of no confidence in Parliament and for the Conservative Party to hold its hands up and admit responsibility for having managed so poorly over Johnson's tenure and to having no ability to form an administration that can correct the damage. Labour are not ready for this but sometimes you just have to deal with things in the tie honoured sink or swim fashion.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:38 - Jul 12 with 962 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunak appears to be the only one who is saying we don't have the money to do all these tax cuts.

The others are just saying what the membership want to hear in the hope it will get them elected. It worked for Brexit with Boris, they'll be thinking it will work for them here.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:40 - Jul 12 with 947 viewsmylittletown

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:23 - Jul 12 by TractorBrew

It is absolutely bonkers what some of them are proposing. Scarily Rishi is the only one putting forward a feasible approach but he could have influenced this already if so (or maybe he did, and not being allowed to execute it was the issue?).

Zahawi plans terrify me, we will be left with crumbling infrastructure and lack of capability in departments all round. Sure there are some cuts and efficiencies to be had, but to say 20% everywhere is madness.

For the sake of the next couple of years, I am inclined to agree.
Zahawi's statement is beyond lunacy, and the rest are just spouting bollox.
The main argument against Sunak is that he is intelligent enough to have been knowingly complicit in the cynical dishonestly of the Johnson disaster.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:45 - Jul 12 with 918 viewsElderGrizzly

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:40 - Jul 12 by mylittletown

For the sake of the next couple of years, I am inclined to agree.
Zahawi's statement is beyond lunacy, and the rest are just spouting bollox.
The main argument against Sunak is that he is intelligent enough to have been knowingly complicit in the cynical dishonestly of the Johnson disaster.

Sunak has been plotting this for a while.

All the domain names etc were bought and Rishi 'slogans' were trade marked in December 2021. The fact he has waited and waited, I agree makes him entirely complicit in the mess.

Sources close to him said he was going to resign in December and then again in March but pulled out of doing so.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:56 - Jul 12 with 867 viewsDMDC

Sunak ? Enjoyed non dom statues, also got fined over party gate or has everyone forgotten that ? That man is so wealthy he hasnt a clue about the man on the street, mind you none of them have really.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:59 - Jul 12 with 861 viewsElderGrizzly

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:56 - Jul 12 by DMDC

Sunak ? Enjoyed non dom statues, also got fined over party gate or has everyone forgotten that ? That man is so wealthy he hasnt a clue about the man on the street, mind you none of them have really.

They've just announced Leadership Candidates can spend up-to £300k + travel expenses on their campaigns.

None of it public money, so favours those with significant backers/donors
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 11:08 - Jul 12 with 817 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 10:23 - Jul 12 by TractorBrew

Javid is coming across as the most sane one to me (low bar). Also, he's got an extra mark for standing up to Johnson when the latter wanted him to sack his advisors and put No. 10 patsies into No. 11. Fishy Rishi was more than happy to sacrifice principles to get the Chancellor job.

Javid has the experience. He carries himself with a bit more gravitas than some of the others, he doesn't court controversy or get drawn into the culture wars. He did continue to publicly support Johnson though, so he's far from all good. And he also is obsessed with tax cuts rather than the real issues facing us.

Agree on Zahawi - awful person. He's done more to flat out lie to the public over the last 3 years than anyone else bar BJ.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 11:33 - Jul 12 with 777 viewsZXBlue

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 11:08 - Jul 12 by Swansea_Blue

Javid is coming across as the most sane one to me (low bar). Also, he's got an extra mark for standing up to Johnson when the latter wanted him to sack his advisors and put No. 10 patsies into No. 11. Fishy Rishi was more than happy to sacrifice principles to get the Chancellor job.

Javid has the experience. He carries himself with a bit more gravitas than some of the others, he doesn't court controversy or get drawn into the culture wars. He did continue to publicly support Johnson though, so he's far from all good. And he also is obsessed with tax cuts rather than the real issues facing us.

Agree on Zahawi - awful person. He's done more to flat out lie to the public over the last 3 years than anyone else bar BJ.

Tugenhadt is measured and decent. Lacks experience though.
Tory candidates and a serious economist on 11:42 - Jul 12 with 743 viewsTractorBrew

Tory candidates and a serious economist on 11:08 - Jul 12 by Swansea_Blue

Agree, I am not adverse to Javid as he seems to be focusing more on the business angle of taxation which can bring benefits (depending on your standpoint, of course). Also from a green angle he lines up best with where I want us to be heading. Personally feel anyone saying they will scrap net zero should be ruled out before voting even begins...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024