Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simpson - bridges burned? 11:43 - Jul 4 with 4812 viewsdirtyboy

Anyone have any insight on this?

Is his time here well and truly done? McKenna doesn't strike me as the sort of person to cut his nose off to spite his face, but you'd think a lad with a £0.5m(ish) price tag is worthy of some consideration.

I've not seen him play, so not sure on his quality/ability, but interested if a few more knowledeable types have any idea whether it's a given he'll now leave?

I just find it hard to say good riddance to any youngster when they're ultimately only listening to agents.
Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:47 - Jul 4 with 3363 viewsJ2BLUE

I was surprised at the asking price. I would imagine that's been set to allow us to back down to £500k which would look great business for a player who wants out. Seems mainly based on potential rather than the player he is now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:48 - Jul 4 with 3342 viewsSTYG

He is quite simply going to stay here until we receive an acceptable bid. I'm sure he will end up going in August for about £300k, more than training compensation but less than we value him at.

If there's any chance he's not burned all his bridges, he'd be involved in pre-season for us and there's no sign of that at all. After how he's behaved it's clearly a case of us keeping him until a suitable bid comes in and not sure he'd work in McKenna's system anyway. Certainly not ready to be that player yet even if he would.

He's done here and it'll just be good to get rid now, let him develop his career elsewhere, hopefully so we can enjoy a good sell on in the future.
Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:49 - Jul 4 with 3315 viewshype313

It does all seem a bit silly and handled badly all round, when all that was needed was clear heads and some calm.

Get all the frustrations from all parties, but surely things could have been ironed out in a better way.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:49 - Jul 4 with 3312 viewsSTYG

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:47 - Jul 4 by J2BLUE

I was surprised at the asking price. I would imagine that's been set to allow us to back down to £500k which would look great business for a player who wants out. Seems mainly based on potential rather than the player he is now.

He was on target for 22 goals in League Two and he's only 20.

What we are asking for is about right in the current climate and plenty of clubs higher up will see that as a decent punt worth taking.

I still think we've set it at £600k, so we can take £300k with a slightly better sell on fee. Doubt we are too concerned about dropping the price to move him on, rather than lose him for nothing next summer. It'll just be a ploy to get a slightly better deal than he's worth.
Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:52 - Jul 4 with 3265 viewsitfcjoe

Guess we'll see over the next few weeks, hopefully he gets a look in and takes his chance and we can move on but seems unlikely currently

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:56 - Jul 4 with 3183 viewsFrimleyBlue

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:49 - Jul 4 by hype313

It does all seem a bit silly and handled badly all round, when all that was needed was clear heads and some calm.

Get all the frustrations from all parties, but surely things could have been ironed out in a better way.

For me. It appears and yes this is a personal view. But his agent has tried to flog him the dream after half a season.

The strange thing is... why on earth Simpson doesn't just get his head down when we've just gone into the market to get 2 x strikers.. he could have been 1 of them.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:56 - Jul 4 with 3193 viewsjayessess

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:47 - Jul 4 by J2BLUE

Not many teenage strikers scoring lots of goals in the EFL, so it doesn't surprise me that we're asking for that sort of money. Reality is if he ever reaches the level that Luton, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield are currently at, then £600k is going to look like daylight robbery.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:59 - Jul 4 with 3131 viewsSTYG

Simpson - bridges burned? on 11:56 - Jul 4 by jayessess

Not many teenage strikers scoring lots of goals in the EFL, so it doesn't surprise me that we're asking for that sort of money. Reality is if he ever reaches the level that Luton, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield are currently at, then £600k is going to look like daylight robbery.

Look at Downes.

£1.4m to Swansea. One good season and it's £12m.

So £600k or less for Simpson and if he was to score 5 or 6 goals in the Championship next season, at 21 he'd probably already have tripled in value.
Login to get fewer ads

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:03 - Jul 4 with 3073 viewsclive_baker

He's properly disillusioned with the club, firmly wants out. I wouldn't be surprised if it escalated further if a deal isn't concluded by the end of the window. The only scenario I can't see happening is him forcing his way into the first team, for various reasons. It's a case of us getting the best price for him now. We'll end up getting a few hundred grand for him + add ons and he'll jump at the first opportunity to get out.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:03 - Jul 4 with 3065 viewsdirtyboy

Does feel badly handled but the saving gracei is that he was ommitted from any conversations about 'future talent' by the likes of Dyer and Norwood which makes me feel a little more comfortable if he was to go.

Maybe club will take a little more than compensation and a sell on clause and hope for the best.

Just feels like an odd one.
Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:05 - Jul 4 with 3050 viewsJ2BLUE

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:03 - Jul 4 by clive_baker

He's properly disillusioned with the club, firmly wants out. I wouldn't be surprised if it escalated further if a deal isn't concluded by the end of the window. The only scenario I can't see happening is him forcing his way into the first team, for various reasons. It's a case of us getting the best price for him now. We'll end up getting a few hundred grand for him + add ons and he'll jump at the first opportunity to get out.

What is his problem with the club?

If it's recalling him from a successful loan to try and force him to sign a new deal then I can see why he's annoyed. Completely behind the club and we need to look out for ourselves but can certainly see his side.

Truly impaired.

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:11 - Jul 4 with 2978 viewsKieranMcKenna1

Why didn’t he just knuckle down and sign the contract in January? I’m glad the club did what they did, no player is bigger than this club.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2022 12:13]

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:16 - Jul 4 with 2914 viewsKieran_Knows

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:11 - Jul 4 by KieranMcKenna1

Why didn’t he just knuckle down and sign the contract in January? I’m glad the club did what they did, no player is bigger than this club.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2022 12:13]

I'd heard that Luton made an offer for him which we rebuffed, but he was interested in making the move and hence why he rejected our contract offer.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:17 - Jul 4 with 2894 viewsclive_baker

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:05 - Jul 4 by J2BLUE

If it's recalling him from a successful loan to try and force him to sign a new deal then I can see why he's annoyed. Completely behind the club and we need to look out for ourselves but can certainly see his side.

Based on what I heard a big part of it is that he's paid a pittance and has an agent in his ear reminding him of that fact. They tried to negotiate a pay rise but it couldn't be agreed. Think MA thought they were taking the p1ss, and equally Simpson and his agent think he's being mugged off and was punished by being recalled from a loan spell he was enjoying and flourishing in. It's not good all round, I can't see it ever coming back from here, TS admittedly young and naive but he's not backward in coming forward with his thoughts on it all.

it's just a case of who is prepared to give us the most money for him now. Huddersfield would be a good move.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:22 - Jul 4 with 2786 viewsJ2BLUE

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:17 - Jul 4 by clive_baker

Based on what I heard a big part of it is that he's paid a pittance and has an agent in his ear reminding him of that fact. They tried to negotiate a pay rise but it couldn't be agreed. Think MA thought they were taking the p1ss, and equally Simpson and his agent think he's being mugged off and was punished by being recalled from a loan spell he was enjoying and flourishing in. It's not good all round, I can't see it ever coming back from here, TS admittedly young and naive but he's not backward in coming forward with his thoughts on it all.

it's just a case of who is prepared to give us the most money for him now. Huddersfield would be a good move.

Cheers, fair enough.

Truly impaired.

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:23 - Jul 4 with 2759 viewsFrimleyBlue

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:22 - Jul 4 by J2BLUE

Cheers, fair enough.

I had heard a little while back that those under 21 are very low paid compared to other clubs.
It's been a long term trait of town of perform and get an increase...

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:30 - Jul 4 with 2682 viewsxrayspecs

I think the jury is out on TS, he has had half a season on loan in L1, where he did well, but remains incredibly raw. He improved during his time at Swindon, what is not clear is where the ceiling is on his potential. Worth remembering Drinnan and Sears have both scored a decent number of goals in L2 this season, and like Norwood, this could be his level rather than L1 or higher.

IIRC he joined Swindon when they were desperate for players after their financial issues. This was a loan we agreed to rather than something that we sought as part of his development. I think it was Dyer who said that the club were surprised with how TS did at Swindon, it may also indicate that he was not at that stage a player we were looking to tie down beyond this season just ended. When he did well, the club sought to tie him down to a new deal.

It is difficult for young player to transition from U23s to first team, we only have a few spaces each season, so a lot of our U23s will need to leave to get first team football. I cannot see TS being first team ready for this season, he is not going to be chosen ahead of Ladapo, JJ and Jackson, and I suspect we would also like another forward before the window closes.

Wherever he ends up, if he is at a championship club, then I would see him as part of their development squad with a potential loan in L1 next season to see if he can do it at this level.
Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:34 - Jul 4 with 2639 viewsPhilTWTD

Essentially, I think he's been offered a contract as a developing squad player here, not a fortune by any means, whereas he could almost certainly get a fair bit more as a first-teamer at another club or in a similar position at a club at a higher level. Think he'd be higher up the pecking order at the likes of Luton or Peterborough if he went there.

It's pretty similar to the Liam Gibbs situation last summer.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:41 - Jul 4 with 2510 viewsmarchy

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:05 - Jul 4 by J2BLUE

I'm sure I saw that we recalled him because he was refusing to even entertain discussions on a potential new deal.
Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:42 - Jul 4 with 2503 viewsBonneNIL

I just take the view is he wanted out, we have had well over a decade of people playing here with a mercenary attitude, if they want to go, get rid of them. It's been a breath of fresh air to have Walton, Edmondson, Evans, Burns, and Chaplin come in and appear to make it home rather than a stepping stone. We've sold hundreds of prospects, some much better than Simpson, in recent years, he could go on to be a great player, he could go on to Colchester United.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Simpson - bridges burned? on 13:03 - Jul 4 with 2308 viewsChurchman

If he wants away, that’s fine. Get rid ASAP with a big sell on %. We need people here who want to be here. It’s as simple as that.
Simpson - bridges burned? on 13:12 - Jul 4 with 2223 viewsjayessess

Simpson - bridges burned? on 13:03 - Jul 4 by Churchman

If he wants away, that’s fine. Get rid ASAP with a big sell on %. We need people here who want to be here. It’s as simple as that.

I don't think it's ever quite that simple, is it?
Every footballer currently at Ipswich Town would jump at a move up the leagues on better money if it was a possibility.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Simpson - bridges burned? on 13:37 - Jul 4 with 2045 viewsitfcjoe

From what I gather the payrise he was offered wouldn't even have put him in line with what the 1st team players at Swindon were earning

Simpson - bridges burned? on 13:39 - Jul 4 with 2024 viewsitfcjoe

Simpson - bridges burned? on 12:42 - Jul 4 by BonneNIL

I just take the view is he wanted out, we have had well over a decade of people playing here with a mercenary attitude, if they want to go, get rid of them. It's been a breath of fresh air to have Walton, Edmondson, Evans, Burns, and Chaplin come in and appear to make it home rather than a stepping stone. We've sold hundreds of prospects, some much better than Simpson, in recent years, he could go on to be a great player, he could go on to Colchester United.

How can we talk about a decade of mercernaries here when we've had loads of players play hundreds of games and on low wages compared to similar clubs when we are now getting people to drop down because they are being paid fortunes to do so?

Simpson - bridges burned? on 14:00 - Jul 4 with 1844 viewsitfc_bucks

I wont look, but his agent is going to be that grubby little Barnett git, isn't it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024