Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michael Smith - Rotherham forward 12:55 - Jun 6 with 4487 viewsborat_the_blue

Is he the one we should have pursued from Rotherham?

I think so however, age and ambition to play at the highest level will go against us. Wednesday are interested...

Thoughts?

[Post edited 6 Jun 2022 12:56]

It's Nice!

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:08 - Jun 6 with 3875 viewsMediocre_Quick

Where are Wednesday compared to us though? Same division still, unless I missed something and they quite dramatically, also went up,

You'd think we would have more pull than Wednesday, financially at least,

BUT, he's not likely to drop back to League 1 after just firing Rotherham to promotion
Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:17 - Jun 6 with 3775 viewsIllinoisblue

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:08 - Jun 6 by Mediocre_Quick

Where are Wednesday compared to us though? Same division still, unless I missed something and they quite dramatically, also went up,

BUT, he's not likely to drop back to League 1 after just firing Rotherham to promotion

They’re in Yorkshire compared to us, which probably helps

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:19 - Jun 6 with 3759 viewshomer_123

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:17 - Jun 6 by Illinoisblue

U sure? ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:25 - Jun 6 with 3709 viewsChrisd

It's not just the financial pull, it's geographically. Wednesday being in Yorkshire, like Rotherham Smith probably wouldn't need to uproot and move. Feel Wednesday would be more of an attractive option than us on that basis. I know Ipswich is our club and we are all immensely proud that we support them, but lets give Wednesday some credit, it is a huge club in it's own right with a big fan base and has plenty of potential much like ourselves, so you can see that it would be an attractive option for many local players.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:38 - Jun 6 with 3606 viewsFrimleyBlue

Still think we might see Weimann coming in and being a partner for Ladapo, with Jackson and Pigott as covers.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:41 - Jun 6 with 3609 viewsSTYG

Everything I have seen of Smith suggests he's the classic target man / big man up top. Exactly what we thought Piggott might be off the back of 20 goals.

We have a clearly defined system of play that requires a specific type of forward and Smith is nowhere near that. If we were going to change the system for one player to thrive we could have done that last season and given Piggott a look in.

There's no point worrying about players that might do well at similar sized clubs who play a totally different style. Wednesday have been playing with a big man up front.
Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 14:31 - Jun 6 with 3407 viewsPioneerBlue

We’ve been burnt a bit collecting strikers and assuming they will do well at Ipswich when they have a good backstory at their previous club, Eg Jackson, Norwood, Pigott. If we can purchase or unearth our 20 goal a season striker no one will be happier than me.

It’s complicated because if we are in the business of spending money they are probably at a higher level, and probably younger than the current crop of late 20s. Hirst fits the bill nicely for me, with future sell on potential.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 15:30 - Jun 6 with 3199 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:25 - Jun 6 by Chrisd

It's not just the financial pull, it's geographically. Wednesday being in Yorkshire, like Rotherham Smith probably wouldn't need to uproot and move. Feel Wednesday would be more of an attractive option than us on that basis. I know Ipswich is our club and we are all immensely proud that we support them, but lets give Wednesday some credit, it is a huge club in it's own right with a big fan base and has plenty of potential much like ourselves, so you can see that it would be an attractive option for many local players.

A bit like an Ipswich player going to play for Norwich, though. (OK, Blades v Owls is the bigger rivalry, but walking out on Rotherham to go and play for Wednesday a division lower isn't like Chambers and co heading off to Col U!)

I think he is a very good player and would be delighted if he were to come here, happy if he stays at Rotherham, and gutted if he goes to a potential League One challenger.
Login to get fewer ads

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 15:51 - Jun 6 with 3109 viewsChrisd

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 15:30 - Jun 6 by ArnoldMoorhen

A bit like an Ipswich player going to play for Norwich, though. (OK, Blades v Owls is the bigger rivalry, but walking out on Rotherham to go and play for Wednesday a division lower isn't like Chambers and co heading off to Col U!)

I think he is a very good player and would be delighted if he were to come here, happy if he stays at Rotherham, and gutted if he goes to a potential League One challenger.

STYG mentioned it in his post on this thread the way KM what's us to play he's looking for speedy, mobile strikers to operate in his system, forwards who can start the press from the front. Although Smith has shown that he's a very good striker at this level and a real handful, his qualities are far better suited to direct sides as they exploit his strengths perfectly.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:05 - Jun 6 with 3030 viewsmarkchips

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:38 - Jun 6 by FrimleyBlue

Still think we might see Weimann coming in and being a partner for Ladapo, with Jackson and Pigott as covers.

That is an interesting one - he was out of contract at Bristol City last year and then stayed on.

Wages could be an issue but we have seen that Town have the muscle to compete with the top half let alone the bottom half of the championship.
Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:41 - Jun 6 with 2883 viewsOwainG1992

If McKenna wants 2 up front with a terrific partner for Ladapo get Smith in.
If he wants the 1 up front...Smith might not be a bad shout then either.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:48 - Jun 6 with 2855 viewsSTYG

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:41 - Jun 6 by OwainG1992

On what basis?

What, in McKenna's 23 games in charge, makes you think that a big bloke who gets on the end of stuff and doesn't make runs into the channels or stretch defenders is going to fit the system that saw us in Top 2 form for large parts and Top 6 form for the rest?
Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:56 - Jun 6 with 2816 viewsFrimleyBlue

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:48 - Jun 6 by STYG

On what basis?

What, in McKenna's 23 games in charge, makes you think that a big bloke who gets on the end of stuff and doesn't make runs into the channels or stretch defenders is going to fit the system that saw us in Top 2 form for large parts and Top 6 form for the rest?

Until we see pre season games, there's no definitive answer to his preferred set up is there?
We can assume it will be similar and I personally don't see much change, but it's fair for the poster to question it.

You mention form, but over the final 15 games we were 9th in the form table.

Waka waka eh eh

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 17:21 - Jun 6 with 2744 viewsSTYG

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:56 - Jun 6 by FrimleyBlue

Until we see pre season games, there's no definitive answer to his preferred set up is there?
We can assume it will be similar and I personally don't see much change, but it's fair for the poster to question it.

You mention form, but over the final 15 games we were 9th in the form table.

The form table is utterly meaningless in the last 3-4 games of the season when you've got teams that can no longer do anything playing teams that have to win, our season was over, teams will leave out players who are due to leave on a free or give young players a chance to impress.

The bit that mattered was Wycombe at home through to Cambridge, when we had something to play for and that run was stupendous. After that, when the playoffs were gone, I personally couldn't care less what happened.
Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 17:36 - Jun 6 with 2694 viewsFrimleyBlue

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 17:21 - Jun 6 by STYG

The form table is utterly meaningless in the last 3-4 games of the season when you've got teams that can no longer do anything playing teams that have to win, our season was over, teams will leave out players who are due to leave on a free or give young players a chance to impress.

The bit that mattered was Wycombe at home through to Cambridge, when we had something to play for and that run was stupendous. After that, when the playoffs were gone, I personally couldn't care less what happened.

I get your view, but you said to the poster what in 23 games, not between Wycombe and Cambridge..

KM didn't play youngsters or experiment at the end either, so for all we know he MAY look at something different for different games next season. What ever he does, it just needs to be enough to win enough games, so he may need a different type of striker besides running. We shall see

Waka waka eh eh

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 18:29 - Jun 6 with 2577 viewsVic

I’m happy to content myself that KM probably knows more about what players we need than I do, so I’ll sit this discussion out.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 19:32 - Jun 6 with 2407 viewsITFC_Forever

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:41 - Jun 6 by STYG

Everything I have seen of Smith suggests he's the classic target man / big man up top. Exactly what we thought Piggott might be off the back of 20 goals.

We have a clearly defined system of play that requires a specific type of forward and Smith is nowhere near that. If we were going to change the system for one player to thrive we could have done that last season and given Piggott a look in.

There's no point worrying about players that might do well at similar sized clubs who play a totally different style. Wednesday have been playing with a big man up front.

But Piggott isn’t a target man to aim long balls / crosses at. The Wimbledon fans told us that from day one.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 20:25 - Jun 6 with 2306 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:41 - Jun 6 by OwainG1992

I did read (though only on twitter from a Millers fan) that they don't get on, that may just be related to Ladapos departure if even true

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 07:28 - Jun 7 with 1996 viewssuffolkpoker

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 19:32 - Jun 6 by ITFC_Forever

But Piggott isn’t a target man to aim long balls / crosses at. The Wimbledon fans told us that from day one.

Then what is he??

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 07:58 - Jun 7 with 1939 viewsSwansea_Blue

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 13:17 - Jun 6 by Illinoisblue

He could join training over Zoom

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 08:11 - Jun 7 with 1906 viewssuffolkpoker

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 19:32 - Jun 6 by ITFC_Forever

Then what is he??

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 09:37 - Jun 7 with 1806 viewsCheltenham_Blue

'Should have', as opposed to the one we did sign who hasn't even pulled a Town shirt on yet? Let alone played a minute as a Town player?

Interesting.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:10 - Jun 7 with 1596 viewsOwainG1992

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 16:48 - Jun 6 by STYG

On what basis?

Just a thought....

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 04:12 - Jun 11 with 1308 viewsWalkley_owl

Genuine question, how and why do Ipswich have more pull?
Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 06:24 - Jun 11 with 1199 viewsArnieM

Michael Smith - Rotherham forward on 04:12 - Jun 11 by Walkley_owl

Genuine question, how and why do Ipswich have more pull?

He did qualify that by saying , “financially anyway”….

It won’t happen anyway. He’s in the championship now with Rotherham, why would he bother with any league one club, SWFC included .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024