Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do the honest, hard working, working class 10:21 - Jun 3 with 13053 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Still grovel and aspire to the self imposed elite? They really play their role in the archaic British class system and help promote the narrative of trickle down economics. The concept of royalty really is absurd.

Sorry for the random morning musings.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 10:45 - Jun 3 with 4219 viewsunstableblue

What is even weirder is that the working class vote at scale for Boris and the like of Jacob Rees Mogg... and still believe that Boris is a force for good for them.... this cabinet are so elitist, and disconnected from the needs of the working class, it really does not make sense

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 10:48 - Jun 3 with 4210 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

They've been brainwashed, essentially, over many years. Look at all the posts on here fawning over an old lady with a shiny hat. If you look at it objectively, it's bizarre.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 10:54 - Jun 3 with 4200 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 10:45 - Jun 3 by unstableblue

What is even weirder is that the working class vote at scale for Boris and the like of Jacob Rees Mogg... and still believe that Boris is a force for good for them.... this cabinet are so elitist, and disconnected from the needs of the working class, it really does not make sense

It’s DelBoy syndrome. Carry a filofax and vote Tory, you elevate yourself to a higher class. Or loving the monarchy is what truly makes you British! It is generations of brainwashing - I’m just shocked people aren’t a bit more switched-on in this day and age. Just find it all a bit odd.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:14 - Jun 3 with 4133 viewsbrazil1982

I don't see any grovelling. Perhaps people have respect for our HoS and enjoy celebrating the jubilee.

Its absurd to you and many other bitter posters on here but for many of us we support the Monarch. People are different and have different opinions and emotions.

That's my brief answer, no more as this will develop into a slagging match.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:16 - Jun 3 with 4128 viewssolemio

Thank you for starting the 217th anti-royal thread. Even when one agrees it does become rather boringly repetitive.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:20 - Jun 3 with 4107 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:16 - Jun 3 by solemio

Thank you for starting the 217th anti-royal thread. Even when one agrees it does become rather boringly repetitive.

Woah!! Not being ‘anti-royal’ just throwing out an observation. Genuine apologies if I’ve offended anyone. Enjoy your celebrations.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:26 - Jun 3 with 4092 viewsleitrimblue

A mix of Stockholm syndrome and acculturation from the day yer born
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:28 - Jun 3 with 4071 viewswaveneyblue

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:14 - Jun 3 by brazil1982

I don't see any grovelling. Perhaps people have respect for our HoS and enjoy celebrating the jubilee.

Its absurd to you and many other bitter posters on here but for many of us we support the Monarch. People are different and have different opinions and emotions.

Well said !
Login to get fewer ads

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:37 - Jun 3 with 4035 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:14 - Jun 3 by brazil1982

No-one's disputing the respect and support. We're asking why. You don't have to be "bitter" to find it all a bit odd.

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:42 - Jun 3 with 4017 viewssolemio

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:20 - Jun 3 by FromReuserWithLove

Woah!! Not being ‘anti-royal’ just throwing out an observation. Genuine apologies if I’ve offended anyone. Enjoy your celebrations.

I suppose watching Trooping the Colour could be construed as celebrating! Mind you I do watch that virtually every year because I admire the drill movements of the Brigade of Guards, making the near-impossible look simple.

No other celebrations though!
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:46 - Jun 3 with 3989 viewsgiant_stow

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:26 - Jun 3 by leitrimblue

A mix of Stockholm syndrome and acculturation from the day yer born

[Googles acculturation] smartiepants!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:51 - Jun 3 with 3975 viewsgiant_stow

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:42 - Jun 3 by solemio

I suppose watching Trooping the Colour could be construed as celebrating! Mind you I do watch that virtually every year because I admire the drill movements of the Brigade of Guards, making the near-impossible look simple.

No other celebrations though!

I was told off by an arch royalist for doing a long drive yesterday. I think she expected everyone to be either manically celebrating or quietly contemplating her maj in a state of zen reflection, perhaps in a church somewhere.

Personally, I very marginally don't mind them, but they can stick the 'born to reign over us' bit.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:51 - Jun 3 with 3957 viewsRyorry

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:37 - Jun 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

No-one's disputing the respect and support. We're asking why. You don't have to be "bitter" to find it all a bit odd.

Because some of us have respect for someone who had no choice about her career or private life, but saw it as her duty to carry out the role dutifully & with dignity for 70 years, & continues to work hard even at the age of 96.

Compare & contrast with Johnson esp., who by every known account is a lazy, reckless, serially lying chancer who in his 50s doesn't even bother to read his briefs, resulting in (amongst many other horrifying examples) a British citizen being incarcerated abroad in solitary confinement & tortured for the best part of 6 years.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:52 - Jun 3 with 3966 viewsleitrimblue

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:46 - Jun 3 by giant_stow

[Googles acculturation] smartiepants!

Anthropology init
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:59 - Jun 3 with 3947 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:51 - Jun 3 by Ryorry

Because some of us have respect for someone who had no choice about her career or private life, but saw it as her duty to carry out the role dutifully & with dignity for 70 years, & continues to work hard even at the age of 96.

Compare & contrast with Johnson esp., who by every known account is a lazy, reckless, serially lying chancer who in his 50s doesn't even bother to read his briefs, resulting in (amongst many other horrifying examples) a British citizen being incarcerated abroad in solitary confinement & tortured for the best part of 6 years.

I mean, you could make anyone sound great if you're comparing them to Johnson.

But she did have a choice. She could've abdicated if she didn't fancy it.
And part of the reason she's still able to do it at 96 is she's had the best food and healthcare money can buy for her entire life.

I'm not knocking her, and yes she does carry out the role with dignity, but I still find the love of the royals and their privileges bizarre, and it is born of brainwashing. If someone came up with the idea now of someone to reign over us, with all the privilege and splendour that entails, we'd call them mad.

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:08 - Jun 3 with 3900 viewsRyorry

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:59 - Jun 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

And part of the reason she's still able to do it at 96 is she's had the best food and healthcare money can buy for her entire life.

I'm not knocking her, and yes she does carry out the role with dignity, but I still find the love of the royals and their privileges bizarre, and it is born of brainwashing. If someone came up with the idea now of someone to reign over us, with all the privilege and splendour that entails, we'd call them mad.

I'm not brainwashed, and from her p.o.v. she couldn't abdicate as it would have been an abrogation of responsibility & duty (in effect immoral for her to have done so, don't forget how the Christian faith is inextricably bound up with this - not something I agree with btw).
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 12:08]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:13 - Jun 3 with 3899 viewslowhouseblue

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 10:48 - Jun 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

They've been brainwashed, essentially, over many years. Look at all the posts on here fawning over an old lady with a shiny hat. If you look at it objectively, it's bizarre.

if you looked at most social arrangements and institutions in most countries with an objective technocratic eye they would be bizarre. they are a mix of history and accident, muddle and compromise. the same is probably true of our own lives. but humans have a great ability to extract from apparent chaos bits to enjoy and societal spaces to feel at home. jeez, x many thousand people coming together to support 11 men kicking a ball about with mixed levels of competence and effect is pretty bizarre.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:24 - Jun 3 with 3853 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:08 - Jun 3 by Ryorry

I'm not brainwashed, and from her p.o.v. she couldn't abdicate as it would have been an abrogation of responsibility & duty (in effect immoral for her to have done so, don't forget how the Christian faith is inextricably bound up with this - not something I agree with btw).
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 12:08]

Just saying "I'm not brainwashed" by its very nature isn't necessarily true. Because what you think and therefore say comes from the same brain!

Answer the point: if monarchy had never existed and someone came up with the idea today, would you be in favour? We'll make one person our ruler - give them palaces to live in, all the best food, drink, healthcare, waited on hand and foot, for free - without any qualifications, manifesto etc. Just pure luck.

Therein lies the answer to if you're brainwashed or not. You're obviously going to deny it - no-one wants to think that they're brainwashed. But if you look at what it is objectively, the idea of a monarchy is bonkers.

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:38 - Jun 3 with 3796 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:13 - Jun 3 by lowhouseblue

if you looked at most social arrangements and institutions in most countries with an objective technocratic eye they would be bizarre. they are a mix of history and accident, muddle and compromise. the same is probably true of our own lives. but humans have a great ability to extract from apparent chaos bits to enjoy and societal spaces to feel at home. jeez, x many thousand people coming together to support 11 men kicking a ball about with mixed levels of competence and effect is pretty bizarre.

Well yeah, that other things are bizarre doesn't stop the monarchy being so!

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:38 - Jun 3 with 3792 viewsNthQldITFC

Is it OK not to have strong feelings one way or the other?

I look on the monarchy as a non-executive, old tradition which is worth maintaining in the way that art galleries and historical buildings are. A luxury if you will. I haven't looked into it because I'm not that bothered, but I'd be pretty sure that the per-taxpayer spend on this particular cultural luxury would far less than what the average taxpayer spends on luxuries which I would consider revolting and damaging, things like disposal technology and disposable clothing.

On the other had, I've never been to a royal event, put up flags or bunting, and I couldn't tell you the names of the Queen's grandchildren*.

Not really sure what all the fuss is about one way or the other, but it sure does seem to fire people up.

* Edit: I could identify two of, and probably name most of the grandchildren, but none of the great-grandchildren.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 12:41]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

[Redacted] on 12:53 - Jun 3 with 3739 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 12:59 - Jun 3 with 3710 viewsWarkystache

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:37 - Jun 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Don't come yer "metrosexual man-of-the-people" lefty bumwad and republicanism on us 'ere matey. The crown is like worshipping God. Been here for centuries and only one man has ever seriously challenged it, and he was a warty-faced landowning MP from Ely, so the likes of you have no chance.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 13:16 - Jun 3 with 3668 viewssolomon

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:16 - Jun 3 by solemio

Imagine spending 4 whole days ranting from a keyboard in the vain hope the holiday will be cancelled and the monarchy abolished as a result, That’s some task to set yourself to.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 13:21 - Jun 3 with 3655 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 13:16 - Jun 3 by solomon

Imagine spending 4 whole days ranting from a keyboard in the vain hope the holiday will be cancelled and the monarchy abolished as a result, That’s some task to set yourself to.

really odd take mate.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 13:36 - Jun 3 with 3616 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:59 - Jun 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

I suspect her sense of duty overrode any selfish notions of abdication. I wouldn’t to be as constrained as her, even with all the trappings of wealth. I don’t think anyone can argue that she hasn’t performed her role with dignity, grace and diligence.

My query, that I raised on another thread last night, is what has she actually done for us (or if not us her subjects, then for another cause - the environment, animal rights, whatever). With all that privilege (nobody’s going to say no to her), what’s going to be her lasting legacy. What’s she changed for the better?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024