Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail 09:48 - May 29 with 3180 viewsunstableblue

This is a national newspaper and prime minister who are lying to shore up support and continue the twisted jingoism that is damaging this country

Worse why are they focusing on something so meaningless when there are so many bigger issues! Apparently the crown on pints and bringing back pounds and ounces at veg shops as a Brexit benefit!!

And here the lie is fully exposed:

“But the European Commission has rejected the idea that EU rules stopped the UK from having the crown stamp on glasses as well. A spokesperson told the BBC: “EU law does not prevent markings from being placed on products, so long as it does not overlap or be confused with the CE mark.”

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 09:52 - May 29 with 2633 viewsJ2BLUE

Wow, first I can buy a pound of carrots and now this.

Brings a tear to the eye.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 09:59 - May 29 with 2602 viewsPlums

Looking forward to seeing petrol and diesel at over £6 a gallon at the pumps

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 10:09 - May 29 with 2562 viewsJ2BLUE

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 09:59 - May 29 by Plums

£1 a pint soon

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 10:25 - May 29 with 2498 viewsgtsb1966

Ten inches sounds so much better than 254mm
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 11:38 - May 29 with 2353 viewsFreddies_Ears

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 09:59 - May 29 by Plums

Over £8...
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 12:13 - May 29 with 2261 viewsSwansea_Blue

Desperate times call for inane nationalist bollox and treating people like idiots. Although in fairness to the Tories and the Fail, it’s worked well for them so far.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 12:31 - May 29 with 2210 viewsunstableblue

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 12:13 - May 29 by Swansea_Blue

Desperate times call for inane nationalist bollox and treating people like idiots. Although in fairness to the Tories and the Fail, it’s worked well for them so far.

Yup it keeps working for them - and through The Fail and other media channels (including the concerning emergence of Talk TV etc.) come general election time Starmer and Labour will be demonised and Tories will come strong again, under a barrage of misinformation and misty eyed talk of empire.

Strong Lib-Dem coalition needed.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 18:35 - May 29 with 1990 viewsFelstow1978

I fcking hate Ted Verity

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

Login to get fewer ads

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:08 - May 29 with 1940 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Reviving imperial measures would just be regressive, pointless, and waste of money.

I can’t even imagine it’s a popular move unless you are American, over 97. Or Harry10.
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:22 - May 29 with 1908 viewsMattinLondon

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:08 - May 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Reviving imperial measures would just be regressive, pointless, and waste of money.

I can’t even imagine it’s a popular move unless you are American, over 97. Or Harry10.

Going off on a tangent I’m always surprised at how the ‘patriotic Brexit’ types always seem to resent the country. They wish to pull the country backwards to the 1950s but forget that there is no empire, that the rest of the world doesn’t look to
Britain for leadership.

If you truly love the country then you’d want it to push on relentlessly towards the future, embracing new ideas whilst readjusting to the demands of the told. Rather, the country has voted to go backwards and become an island of ridicule.

Trying to turn the clock back to predominantly imperial measure will only satisfy the elderly who will die and leave a country in their generational coffin.

Edit. And abolish the monarchy and House of Lords. Make newspapers print proper apologies with an independent organisation writing the truth instead of the tabloids twisted version of it.
[Post edited 29 May 2022 19:24]
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:35 - May 29 with 1866 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:22 - May 29 by MattinLondon

Going off on a tangent I’m always surprised at how the ‘patriotic Brexit’ types always seem to resent the country. They wish to pull the country backwards to the 1950s but forget that there is no empire, that the rest of the world doesn’t look to
Britain for leadership.

If you truly love the country then you’d want it to push on relentlessly towards the future, embracing new ideas whilst readjusting to the demands of the told. Rather, the country has voted to go backwards and become an island of ridicule.

Trying to turn the clock back to predominantly imperial measure will only satisfy the elderly who will die and leave a country in their generational coffin.

Edit. And abolish the monarchy and House of Lords. Make newspapers print proper apologies with an independent organisation writing the truth instead of the tabloids twisted version of it.

“And abolish the monarchy and House of Lords. Make newspapers print proper apologies with an independent organisation writing the truth instead of the tabloids twisted version of it.”

Yeah totally agree - heredity peerages and royalty is the antithesis of social mobility and opportunity.
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:44 - May 29 with 1843 viewsMattinLondon

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:35 - May 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“And abolish the monarchy and House of Lords. Make newspapers print proper apologies with an independent organisation writing the truth instead of the tabloids twisted version of it.”

Yeah totally agree - heredity peerages and royalty is the antithesis of social mobility and opportunity.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the biased media have long been the root cause of most of the ills found in society. Successive governments pandering to their owners wants, who in turn, write what they want knowing that their readers will lap it up.

Make newspapers have to be completely impartial or force them to write full page retractions.
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 20:01 - May 29 with 1793 viewsXYZ

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:44 - May 29 by MattinLondon

I’ve come to the conclusion that the biased media have long been the root cause of most of the ills found in society. Successive governments pandering to their owners wants, who in turn, write what they want knowing that their readers will lap it up.

Make newspapers have to be completely impartial or force them to write full page retractions.

This may be of interest ...

https://bylinetimes.com/columns/the-crisis-in-british-journalism/
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 20:13 - May 29 with 1768 viewsMattinLondon

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 20:01 - May 29 by XYZ

This may be of interest ...

https://bylinetimes.com/columns/the-crisis-in-british-journalism/

That is very interesting. Thanks.
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 20:17 - May 29 with 1760 viewsChurchman

I’m looking forward to the return of pounds shillings and pence. Pound and ten shilling notes, florins, half crowns, guineas, sixpence that’ll go properly in a Christmas pudding and three penny pieces with edges! What’s not to like?
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 01:50 - May 31 with 1460 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Calm down. It’s a Crown on a pint glass. Is that what’s really damaging the country? To be honest they probably do it for the clicks and retweets from people like yourself.

The fake news media is out of control though.
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 02:52 - May 31 with 1439 viewsRyorry

3 more Tory MPs handed their letters to the 1922 c'ttee y'day, making a total of at least 20 (there could be more who've simply not made it public).

According to the political editor of ITV, it's now not a question of "if" the PM goes, but "when" ...

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-30/tory-rebellion-builds-momentum-as-second-for

Edit: Sky news now saying it's 27 MPs in total
[Post edited 31 May 2022 4:27]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 03:21 - May 31 with 1433 viewsHARRY10

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:08 - May 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Gosh, a Daily Mail reader in person

My pointing out that Imperial measurements have not gone away, probably as they are more practical, is twisted into my wanting them re-introduced.

What next, my wanting landline telephones brought back, cash payments in shops or/and standing at football matches.

The latter being the obvious example. Those who wish to stand do in one part of the groundswhile others sit in the other parts.

I expect our 'not too bright' boy jim will now probably twist this into my wanting all standing stadia, or perhaps all seater, or maybe even no fan stadia which are bereft of fans.

As to Johnson's nonsense, it rather overlooks the fact that fruit and veg can still be sold in Imperial measurements - though only someone as dim as Johnson (and our boy Jim) would not be aware that in order to do so would require scales that measure stuff in imperial measurements. Not something which are made any more, I suspect

So, as with standing at grounds it is really down to what suits you - some will speak of their jeans being 32 inch waist, their burger as a quarter pounder and their car doing x miles per gallon. I'm not sure anyone ever re-introduced those, I suspect like most, they have never gone away.

I would add that folk still hail black cabs in London, but that would only set off Jim boy again with some guff about how I want to ban Uber, or something equally silly.

Strange folk, these Mailers
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 03:37 - May 31 with 1422 viewsjeera

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 03:21 - May 31 by HARRY10

My pointing out that Imperial measurements have not gone away, probably as they are more practical, is twisted into my wanting them re-introduced.

What next, my wanting landline telephones brought back, cash payments in shops or/and standing at football matches.

The latter being the obvious example. Those who wish to stand do in one part of the groundswhile others sit in the other parts.

I expect our 'not too bright' boy jim will now probably twist this into my wanting all standing stadia, or perhaps all seater, or maybe even no fan stadia which are bereft of fans.

As to Johnson's nonsense, it rather overlooks the fact that fruit and veg can still be sold in Imperial measurements - though only someone as dim as Johnson (and our boy Jim) would not be aware that in order to do so would require scales that measure stuff in imperial measurements. Not something which are made any more, I suspect

So, as with standing at grounds it is really down to what suits you - some will speak of their jeans being 32 inch waist, their burger as a quarter pounder and their car doing x miles per gallon. I'm not sure anyone ever re-introduced those, I suspect like most, they have never gone away.

I would add that folk still hail black cabs in London, but that would only set off Jim boy again with some guff about how I want to ban Uber, or something equally silly.

To be fair most scales used anywhere are electronic and can switch from one measurement to another in an instant with the touch of a button.

The jingoistic nonsense of reintroducing imperial isn't necessary as most things are available as either/or on the spot as whatever format the customer chooses.

I like the mishmash of using metres/centimetres/millimetres for measuring small distances but miles for longer distances. Litres for liquid but pounds/ounces for weight.

At an age where I grew up with both I am happy using each interchangeably as I please.

When buying fruit/veg it doesn't over matter what unit as it's not hard to compare prices in either. And for things like bananas I buy by quantity not weight. I want four green at a time (as I fecking asked for Tesco) and not five yellow that will be brown in two days time.

Really no need for any tweaking when we all know what we're doing as it is if we're honest.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 07:28 - May 31 with 1338 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 03:37 - May 31 by jeera

To be fair most scales used anywhere are electronic and can switch from one measurement to another in an instant with the touch of a button.

The jingoistic nonsense of reintroducing imperial isn't necessary as most things are available as either/or on the spot as whatever format the customer chooses.

I like the mishmash of using metres/centimetres/millimetres for measuring small distances but miles for longer distances. Litres for liquid but pounds/ounces for weight.

At an age where I grew up with both I am happy using each interchangeably as I please.

When buying fruit/veg it doesn't over matter what unit as it's not hard to compare prices in either. And for things like bananas I buy by quantity not weight. I want four green at a time (as I fecking asked for Tesco) and not five yellow that will be brown in two days time.

Really no need for any tweaking when we all know what we're doing as it is if we're honest.

A propos of nothing at all, anybody else think of air temperatures in centigrade when it's cold and fahrenheit when it's warm/hot?

No?

Just me then.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 08:06 - May 31 with 1288 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 03:21 - May 31 by HARRY10

“Gosh, a Daily Mail reader in person ”

How did you come to that conclusion- pretty sure any mail reader would be pro-imperial measures and harking back to the days of past.

You can’t comprehend anything anyone posts, which leads people to conclude you are either a comedy account, or just thick as mince.
[Post edited 31 May 2022 8:07]
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 08:29 - May 31 with 1257 viewsMattinLondon

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 08:06 - May 31 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“Gosh, a Daily Mail reader in person ”

How did you come to that conclusion- pretty sure any mail reader would be pro-imperial measures and harking back to the days of past.

You can’t comprehend anything anyone posts, which leads people to conclude you are either a comedy account, or just thick as mince.
[Post edited 31 May 2022 8:07]

Or maybe he’s just an alcoholic who is pissed-up all of the time.
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 09:24 - May 31 with 1155 viewssolemio

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 19:22 - May 29 by MattinLondon

Britain for leadership.

While I agree with many of your points I have to assume that the elderly whose views you have canvassed are a very different group from those I know.

I am 78 and know many people of advanced years through belonging to the local U3A. I have yet to come across one who does not think that Johnson's imperial measures proposal is bonkers.

(Usual acknowledgements to Michael Joseph McCarthy for the use of his word 'bonkers')
Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 10:24 - May 31 with 1082 viewsRyorry

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 09:24 - May 31 by solemio

While I agree with many of your points I have to assume that the elderly whose views you have canvassed are a very different group from those I know.

I am 78 and know many people of advanced years through belonging to the local U3A. I have yet to come across one who does not think that Johnson's imperial measures proposal is bonkers.

(Usual acknowledgements to Michael Joseph McCarthy for the use of his word 'bonkers')

You can add me to your list of those of "advanced years" who think it's bonkers!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 10:32 - May 31 with 1062 viewsnoggin

Get this government out! And restrain the Daily Mail on 12:13 - May 29 by Swansea_Blue

Apparently, voting for brexit stuck a finger up at Britain's elite. I don't know where you would even start to explain to these people, hence they are called out as idiots.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024