Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I Feel Fine 06:37 - Apr 28 with 2459 viewsPJH

On 28th April 1962, Alf Ramsey gave The Beatles the title for a future song (1.14 in clip). It was also the day that the team that he managed, Ipswich Town, became Champions Of England.

Sixty years ago!
I still have the vivid memories of some games and some instances but also no memory at all of other games that I was at but I did attend 20 of the 21 home league games and also the away game at WBA.
I am not listing the individual memories this year (maybe next year) but things that I witnessed as a ten and then eleven-year-old still live with me.
I just want to thank Alf Ramsey, Roy Bailey, Larry Carberry, John Compton, Billy Baxter, Andy Nelson, John Elsworthy, Roy Stephenson, Dougie Moran, Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips and Jimmy Leadbetter for the joy that they brought to my dad, my mum, myself and thousands of others that season.
The season that Ipswich Town became Champions Of England.
I Feel Fine on 08:43 - Apr 28 with 1953 viewsDJR

Fantastic post.
I Feel Fine on 08:56 - Apr 28 with 1926 viewsPJH

I Feel Fine on 08:43 - Apr 28 by DJR

Fantastic post.

For anyone interested, I did an interview with Kings Of Anglia yesterday about that season and that is now on the EADT website at the end of the feature that they have about 1961/62.
I Feel Fine on 09:12 - Apr 28 with 1898 viewsDJR

I Feel Fine on 08:56 - Apr 28 by PJH

For anyone interested, I did an interview with Kings Of Anglia yesterday about that season and that is now on the EADT website at the end of the feature that they have about 1961/62.

It's also on You Tube, on the Kings of Anglia channel.
I Feel Fine on 09:52 - Apr 28 with 1841 viewsSteve_M

As ever, thankyou for your memories.

It's strange though, a function of passing time, that Lyall's Second Division title win was half that time ago - yet still very fresh to me - I remember my Dad talking in the car on the way home about the League title win 30 years earlier. A long-winded way of saying that in 2052 I'll probably still be reminiscing about Southend and Oxford away in 1992 and the memories will still be as fresh as yours are of 1962 today.

Very much about time ITFC added some new promotions so fans under 30 have something to get all nostalgic about in the future.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I Feel Fine on 12:12 - Apr 28 with 1724 viewsIllinoisblue

You’ve seen things we’ll never see.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I Feel Fine on 14:33 - Apr 28 with 1588 viewsSteve_M

I Feel Fine on 08:56 - Apr 28 by PJH

Now we know what you look like, hair modelled on Beattie in your avatar it seems:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I Feel Fine on 16:05 - Apr 28 with 1533 viewsPJH

I Feel Fine on 14:33 - Apr 28 by Steve_M

Now we know what you look like, hair modelled on Beattie in your avatar it seems:

Mine is thin on top, don't know if The Beat's was ever that-certainly not when he was playing.
I Feel Fine on 18:51 - Apr 28 with 1434 viewsBarcaBlue

In 80 / 81 there was a strong optimism of a double or treble around Xmas time. What was the feeling during the title season, was it more hope than expectation as the season progressed?
Login to get fewer ads

I Feel Fine on 18:54 - Apr 28 with 1434 viewsPJH

I Feel Fine on 18:51 - Apr 28 by BarcaBlue

In 80 / 81 there was a strong optimism of a double or treble around Xmas time. What was the feeling during the title season, was it more hope than expectation as the season progressed?

I don't think there was ever expectation because even going into that Villa game on the last Saturday, the title was still in Burnley's hands. If Burnley won that Saturday and won the game that they still had to play they would win the league so, as I said, I do not think that there was EVER expectation.
I Feel Fine on 19:16 - Apr 28 with 1410 viewsoldburian

I Feel Fine on 18:54 - Apr 28 by PJH

I don't think there was ever expectation because even going into that Villa game on the last Saturday, the title was still in Burnley's hands. If Burnley won that Saturday and won the game that they still had to play they would win the league so, as I said, I do not think that there was EVER expectation.

That is absolutely correct, we could not believe where we were and just enjoyed the experience with no particular expectation. A significant number of the support could still remember when we were amateur. We had only been in the Football League for 19 seasons.
When Ted Phillips winning goal went in at Tottenham in March in front of 57,000 it was to absolute silence for a number of seconds because neither side could believe what was happening. To be fair the Spurs supporters were very complimentary at the end but they were not fond of Burnley at the time who had been a thorn in their side. Ray Crawford that night was absolutely brilliant, I have never seen a better individual performance from an Ipswich player.
I Feel Fine on 19:21 - Apr 28 with 1409 viewsLord_Lucan

As a whippersnapper it was before my time - but we won the league by three points - so what difference would the Burnley score have made?

Or wasn't that clip the final game?

Edit - I've just realised Burnley had another game to play.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 19:23]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I Feel Fine on 21:31 - Apr 28 with 1304 viewsbluebudgie

This achievement should go down in football history as THE most outstanding moment in English football. Just 19 seasons in the league and Town were champions of England. that's simply amazing!! What it must have been to be a Town fan against Villa when we clinched the title.One of the reasons why I am and always will be so proud to be a Town fan.
I Feel Fine on 22:08 - Apr 28 with 1285 viewsbluebudgie

I Feel Fine on 23:43 - Apr 28 with 1199 viewsEireannach_gorm

Maybe the song should be played on the new PA system every home game as a tribute.

See the Scousers have butchered it .

I Feel Fine on 05:21 - Apr 29 with 1155 viewsRyorry

Edited out as had been thinking of 1981!
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 5:27]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I Feel Fine on 08:03 - Apr 29 with 1082 viewsPJH

I Feel Fine on 05:21 - Apr 29 by Ryorry

Edited out as had been thinking of 1981!
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 5:27]

Yes, there was a lot of expectation in 1980/81- a classic case of should have...
I Feel Fine on 09:01 - Apr 29 with 1048 viewsElephantintheRoom

I think a good parallel is George Burley’s team almost getting in the Champions League with a team he took five years to get out of division 2 - and starting the season as relegation favourites, as Town did under Ramsey. I remember expecting neither. It’s interesting also - that both these high water marks were rapidly followed by relegation, albeit for very different reasons

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I Feel Fine on 10:17 - Apr 29 with 970 viewsITFC_Forever

I Feel Fine on 19:21 - Apr 28 by Lord_Lucan

As a whippersnapper it was before my time - but we won the league by three points - so what difference would the Burnley score have made?

Or wasn't that clip the final game?

Edit - I've just realised Burnley had another game to play.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 19:23]

Wasn’t it 2 points for a win then as well?

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I Feel Fine on 10:54 - Apr 29 with 951 viewsRyorry

I Feel Fine on 08:03 - Apr 29 by PJH

Yes, there was a lot of expectation in 1980/81- a classic case of should have...

I've only to see "Villa" and "title" in the same sentence to instantly start frothing at the mouth!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I Feel Fine on 10:59 - Apr 29 with 948 viewsPhilTWTD

Ray said he saw it the same way, Burnley were expected to win the title, particularly as they were facing relegated Chelsea.

I Feel Fine on 11:54 - Apr 29 with 899 viewsPJH

I Feel Fine on 10:17 - Apr 29 by ITFC_Forever

Wasn’t it 2 points for a win then as well?

Yes, 3pts for a win did not come in until 1981/82.
I Feel Fine on 11:56 - Apr 29 with 897 viewsPJH

I Feel Fine on 10:59 - Apr 29 by PhilTWTD

Ray said he saw it the same way, Burnley were expected to win the title, particularly as they were facing relegated Chelsea.

I have not yet watched that, but I will.

Does he mention me getting his autograph back then?

It was always in Burnley's hands, even on 28.04.62.
I Feel Fine on 11:59 - Apr 29 with 894 viewsPhilTWTD

I Feel Fine on 11:56 - Apr 29 by PJH

I have not yet watched that, but I will.

Does he mention me getting his autograph back then?

It was always in Burnley's hands, even on 28.04.62.

Ha! I should have mentioned you to him! He's at the game tomorrow so you might bump into him.
I Feel Fine on 12:34 - Apr 29 with 845 viewsTractorCam

I Feel Fine on 09:52 - Apr 28 by Steve_M

As ever, thankyou for your memories.

It's strange though, a function of passing time, that Lyall's Second Division title win was half that time ago - yet still very fresh to me - I remember my Dad talking in the car on the way home about the League title win 30 years earlier. A long-winded way of saying that in 2052 I'll probably still be reminiscing about Southend and Oxford away in 1992 and the memories will still be as fresh as yours are of 1962 today.

Very much about time ITFC added some new promotions so fans under 30 have something to get all nostalgic about in the future.

Meanwhile the rest of us will be reminiscing wins at Wimbledon and Gillingham!

Great post PJH, is that true about The Beatles?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

I Feel Fine on 14:35 - Apr 29 with 788 viewsPJH

I Feel Fine on 12:34 - Apr 29 by TractorCam

Meanwhile the rest of us will be reminiscing wins at Wimbledon and Gillingham!

Great post PJH, is that true about The Beatles?

Well, they did have a number 1 with 'I Feel Fine' but Ramsey does not appear as a co-writer with Lennon and McCartney so perhaps they did not get the title from the Alf Ramsey interview.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024