Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ethernet entry points 18:57 - Apr 29 with 697 viewsFrimleyBlue

Anyone in the tech game know how easy it is to get more than 1 broadband entry point into a property?

Soon to be moving onto our forever home and my sons on route to fulfil his dream of esports f1. But WiFi is of course important and I want to help ensure he has the best connection.

Is it possible to have more than 1 broadband entry point so we can run an ethernet cable from a socket in his bedroom wall or are we just having to look at WiFi extenders?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ethernet entry points on 19:34 - Apr 29 with 645 viewsfooters

You buy an ethernet cable, stick it in the router and feed the cable into the room. If the internet isn't fast enough, buy better internet.

Now wire me £50.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ethernet entry points on 19:38 - Apr 29 with 635 viewswkj

Just stop posting on here and he should have all the bandwidth he needs to watch F1

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ethernet entry points on 19:48 - Apr 29 with 614 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ethernet entry points on 19:38 - Apr 29 by wkj

Just stop posting on here and he should have all the bandwidth he needs to watch F1

Ha was waiting for this.

Waka waka eh eh

Ethernet entry points on 19:51 - Apr 29 with 612 viewswkj

Ethernet entry points on 19:48 - Apr 29 by FrimleyBlue

Ha was waiting for this.

If you were waiting on this you need a better connection

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ethernet entry points on 20:13 - Apr 29 with 578 viewsKungfuBlue

In short yes, I have 2. Both with BT. One is for the house, internet, tv etc and then I have a separate line into my home office. With the kids home and using it I didn’t want bandwidth degradation caused by my kids gaming etc.

Be warned though It took me 6 months to sort, BT internal systems really couldn’t cope with 2 lines in 1 address, I ended up after many false starts and cock ups by open reach complaining directly to the CEO (email address publicly available) which got it sorted in end.

An alternative is to allocate bandwidth per user, that way you can ringfence your own bandwidth for your needs, leaving rest for kids. Was available via Virgin a few years ago, unsure it BT offer same
Ethernet entry points on 20:20 - Apr 29 with 566 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ethernet entry points on 20:13 - Apr 29 by KungfuBlue

In short yes, I have 2. Both with BT. One is for the house, internet, tv etc and then I have a separate line into my home office. With the kids home and using it I didn’t want bandwidth degradation caused by my kids gaming etc.

Be warned though It took me 6 months to sort, BT internal systems really couldn’t cope with 2 lines in 1 address, I ended up after many false starts and cock ups by open reach complaining directly to the CEO (email address publicly available) which got it sorted in end.

An alternative is to allocate bandwidth per user, that way you can ringfence your own bandwidth for your needs, leaving rest for kids. Was available via Virgin a few years ago, unsure it BT offer same

Thanks.

Interesting to know and something to start planning for.

Waka waka eh eh

Ethernet entry points on 20:30 - Apr 29 with 557 viewsmutters

I've just moved house and the previous owners ran their business from home. They had a complete server stack and multiple desks around the house. Internet speed was very important to them due to the nature of their business.

We were talking through the set up and simply put the best way to ensure consistent performance is to run hard cables around the house. Once installed properly it will work out a lot cheaper than having two separate lines. You just need to ensure that your broadband connection is fast enough. If he is getting into esports then full fibre is essential to ensure speed and reduce latency.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Ethernet entry points on 22:33 - Apr 29 with 468 viewsfactual_blue

Ethernet entry points on 19:34 - Apr 29 by footers

You buy an ethernet cable, stick it in the router and feed the cable into the room. If the internet isn't fast enough, buy better internet.

Now wire me £50.

Who can forget Rommers' discovery of wired wifi?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Ethernet entry points on 22:53 - Apr 29 with 451 viewsDeano69

Normally the broadband router from your supplier will have more than one wired Ethernet socket. That said, it does mean you will have to run a cable from where the router is to where you need the other end to be.

The other possibility is Ethernet over Power, which uses the electrical cabling to transmit data. A bit tidier than running cables

If you want 2 complete broadband connections then that 2 phone lines, two routers and you would need to ask The supplier to install this in the room you want covered.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024