Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New captain 20:51 - Dec 18 with 1709 viewsKungfuBlue

New manager, new ideas. Does he change captain or stay with Morsy for rest of season?
Morsy has been good on the pitch in patches but by his own admission didn’t want to come here and I feel he is a Cook man. Edmundson would get my vote for captain, question is do it straight away to really show intent or wait till next season?
New captain on 20:54 - Dec 18 with 1668 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He isn’t going to change captain. Nor does he need to, would be utterly pointless

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

New captain on 20:59 - Dec 18 with 1639 viewsGarv

The calls for Edmundson to get the captaincy is based on him being a CB and having a very good season, and that Morsy has underwhelmed slightly.

Realistically we don't know who makes the better captain behind the scenes. Morsy talks a lot during games was was obviously picked for a reason.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

New captain on 21:03 - Dec 18 with 1615 viewsNthsuffolkblue

New captain on 20:59 - Dec 18 by Garv

The calls for Edmundson to get the captaincy is based on him being a CB and having a very good season, and that Morsy has underwhelmed slightly.

Realistically we don't know who makes the better captain behind the scenes. Morsy talks a lot during games was was obviously picked for a reason.

Morsy seems to have the attributes needed. To change him would raise the suspicion that McKenna does not trust him in the role. Not a good way to start.

McKenna does talk a lot about loyalty and coaches having to support the manager's philosophy and decisions (in his interview from earlier this year in his capacity as a coach). I think these things will be very important to him and his captain will be a man he trusts implicitly. I expect that to be Morsy.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

New captain on 21:06 - Dec 18 with 1596 viewsRomeo4

Morsy hasn’t lived up to the early promise (yet) but to strip him of captaincy would be a crazy decision. Would undermine the new coach’s position right from the off.
New captain on 21:31 - Dec 18 with 1499 viewsKungfuBlue

I don’t think it’s just he’s a cb and his form, he was only one to face cameras post Charlton, that was a captains job, Morsy nowhere to be seen till day after.

For me I’d agree no point half way through season but for next season I’d be happy with the change
New captain on 21:41 - Dec 18 with 1456 viewsWickets

No . Why would he want to do that !
New captain on 21:45 - Dec 18 with 1432 viewsBlueBadger

The captain's role in football is much overstated. Literally all their job is to do is to say 'heads' or possibly 'tails' before kick off, offer the occasional platitude to the press and do some vague 'geeing up' gestures to fans.

That said, there's probably no value in changing anything mid-season, unless you want to risk Morsy going missing even more than he has already this season.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 21:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New captain on 21:46 - Dec 18 with 1428 viewsGarv

New captain on 21:31 - Dec 18 by KungfuBlue

I don’t think it’s just he’s a cb and his form, he was only one to face cameras post Charlton, that was a captains job, Morsy nowhere to be seen till day after.

For me I’d agree no point half way through season but for next season I’d be happy with the change

Someone can correct me if needed but press duties is usually decided beforehand. What happens if we lose 10 games in a row, does Morsy have to do press after every one?

Come on.

I'd be more than happy with Mundo captain but there's a fair reason it won't happen.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

New captain on 22:07 - Dec 18 with 1381 viewsKeaneish

New captain on 21:45 - Dec 18 by BlueBadger

The captain's role in football is much overstated. Literally all their job is to do is to say 'heads' or possibly 'tails' before kick off, offer the occasional platitude to the press and do some vague 'geeing up' gestures to fans.

That said, there's probably no value in changing anything mid-season, unless you want to risk Morsy going missing even more than he has already this season.

Good captain’s are role models who lead by example both on and off the field. They should be integral to player relations within the club and are vocal assets offering diplomacy and reason where necessary. Good captain’s should work tightly with their managers and coaches to offer insight whether in training, pre, during and post game. Bottom line is they need to be a winner and have desire that’s infectious and inspirational.

A little insight for you as I know you enjoy my insights. Where do you want me to post your flag to? I haven’t got your address.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

New captain on 22:10 - Dec 18 with 1361 viewsBlueBadger

New captain on 22:07 - Dec 18 by Keaneish

Good captain’s are role models who lead by example both on and off the field. They should be integral to player relations within the club and are vocal assets offering diplomacy and reason where necessary. Good captain’s should work tightly with their managers and coaches to offer insight whether in training, pre, during and post game. Bottom line is they need to be a winner and have desire that’s infectious and inspirational.

A little insight for you as I know you enjoy my insights. Where do you want me to post your flag to? I haven’t got your address.

So, basically, we should re-sign Luke Chambers.

Best idea you've ever had.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New captain on 04:16 - Dec 19 with 1146 viewsVic

Cant agree with you on this one Badger. Captain is way, way more than that. He’s the one the other players respect and the infield leader. He’s 5he one who cajoles and encourages, who seeks to get the most out of his team mates and who embodies what the team is about.

It’s not all about shouting (see Beckham) but is is about being the managers right hand man on the pitch. Not necessarily the best player, but certainly more than just calling heads or tails.

Unless I’m about to be whooooshed!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

New captain on 08:09 - Dec 19 with 1053 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I think Edmundson would make a great captain, however coming in and stripping Morsy of the role before barely knowing the players would be a terrible move by KM and would put literally everyone's noses out of joint right from the off.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

New captain on 08:44 - Dec 19 with 1001 viewsKeaneish

New captain on 22:10 - Dec 18 by BlueBadger

No. “Winners” win things.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

New captain on 11:55 - Dec 19 with 911 viewssolemio

I don't think Bobby Robson & Mick Mills would agree with your definition of captaincy.
New captain on 12:19 - Dec 19 with 883 viewsitfcsuth

He didn’t say he didn’t want to come here, he said he didn’t want to leave Middlesbrough - they are two different things.

He was playing Championship football in his prime years, I don’t blame him for wanting to stay at that level. But when he realised he wasn’t wanted from the hierarchy at Boro, he was looking at his career and realised he would have to move.

He would have had suitors in Champ, so we’ve done well to take him.

He’s never once said he doesn’t want to be here, let’s not make things up.
New captain on 19:01 - Dec 19 with 815 viewsMach_foreignBlue

New captain on 22:10 - Dec 18 by BlueBadger

Oh yeah.....because he led us to the such memorable things....... Captain Fantastic
New captain on 19:55 - Dec 19 with 748 viewsSwansea_Blue

A mildly interesting listen here from Butcher on what makes a captain and the differences today from his time. As you say, a massive part is what goes on behind the scenes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b5vxsr

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024