Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton speaks… 12:40 - Dec 6 with 7575 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:07 - Dec 6 with 1143 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton speaks… on 13:41 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

He said it was a unanimous board decision. Evans is on the board. The Banter Era lives on, getting stronger year by year.

Evans isn't on the Board. He still has a stake, but is not a board member of either Ipswich Town Football Club Ltd* or Gamechanger 20.

* Indeed never was.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:09 - Dec 6 with 1131 viewsFevsBCFC

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:01 - Dec 6 by Illinoisblue

Why have Bristol City never achieved anything of note? Genuine question,
. Big city, good support, nice ground. Can’t all be blamed on Ashton.

Illinois Blue - totally correct…we are historically a club that’s flitted between 2nd and 3rd tiers. Nice ground, if I could add screenshots to your forum I could show you some if the ways he played a huge part in our downward curve. I don’t blame him totally….if you see my first post on this forum I don’t lay the blame only on him. You are historically a much bigger club than us.

We had an absent owner (in Guernsey) who left it to Ashton - parallels with your US owners

We had a manager in Lee Johnson who loved having players for players same (clubs in the bag he used to say) - parallels with signing circa 20 players this summer, and I think it’s fair to say they don’t meet a clear playing identity. Some of that is Cook’s fault too.

At City he didn’t have all “his men” around him, at your club he does, and he’s a danger, all about his ego, and power. He has that power now, he will be uncontrollable.

I’m not posting because I’m jealous he’s gone to you. When I heard in January he was off, nobody could’ve been happier. I’d spent 3+ years gradually seeing him destroy what had been built by our previous regimes. He did it elsewhere too.
Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:13 - Dec 6 with 1084 viewshype313

Mark Ashton speaks… on 13:46 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

Is the penny beginning to drop yet re Ashton?

Cook was a dead-man walking as soon as Gamechanger brought Ashton in. Having interviewed for our job (along with Chris Hughton) he appointed the caretaker Dean Holden. Will be interesting to see if the extensive search lands back at McGreal.

We had exactly the same bullsh1t.

“Global search”
“You’d be surprised who’s expressed an interest in the job”
“Vigorous search” (he meant rigorous)

And we ended up with Dean Holden (Dean is smashing bloke btw) our interim manager.

The story is Cook heard what Ashton had to say and tried to talk himself down in the interview so he wouldn’t get it! Your club is the first club Cook hasn’t had success at.

FWIW Rene Gilmartin, who you’ll know played for McGreal down the road, but knows Ashton and Rolls from Watford, is as lovely a bloke as you could ever meet. Very good on his opposition analysis too.

Just step back and think.

The CEO loves a transfer window, loves the thrill of a signing. How quickly are you gonna get a new manager in to build a genuine well-thought through Jan recruitment drive. The answer is you can’t. The new head-coach won’t have time to assess the current strengths and weaknesses, nor will there be enough time to properly scout and data / video analyse prospective targets.

You will be signing Mark Ashton players, those players will be from Mark’s preferred list of Agents.

As per my very first post on here, I like Ipswich, they are a club that have operated well and have a lot of likes from neutral fans.

This guy will f++k up your club….just like he did at City, Oxford and Watford.

If in 18-24 months I am wrong, I will come back on here and apologise I’ve made a mistake.

Mate, we have just come out of 14 years of Marcus Evans and his band of merry man i.e LO'N doing every job under the sun.

Michael Barrymore would have been an upgrade on him, so if Ashton is a bit of a berk but gets us going up the leagues then I will be happy.

If he doesn't then the American owners will see past the bull and fire him, different circumstances here compared with you lot, on the ownership front.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:18 - Dec 6 with 1050 viewsJ2BLUE

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:00 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

Jeez, he actually states - “the board unanimously agreed with me”, e.g. it was his decision. He is in full control. O’Leary as Chairman above him, Rolls and Costin on the medical side, Werhun (his relative) in Operations, just brought in Gary Probert on Academy side, and now Rene Gilmartin.

What a protective bubble he has now, nobody can get to him.

Wake up Tractor Boys!

Phil can you ban these poisonous cretins. Especially as we have so many simpletons who parrot it back to us.

We had Marcus Evans. I'm sure Ashton does have his faults or he would be the CEO of a club much higher up but he will be a massive step up on Evans.

You're doing nothing but sh1t stirring and sadly we have a lot of fans who are happy to believe every word.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:18 - Dec 6 with 1059 viewsbrad548ye

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick but when he refers to the board does this actually include the owners as well?
Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:19 - Dec 6 with 1039 viewspennblue

Mark Ashton speaks… on 12:58 - Dec 6 by TRUE_BLUE123

Mark Ashton makes me feel uneasy.

Not sure why, but I’m still not sold on him.

Well he is quite ruthless I am sure, but I don't think that is a bad thing, as long as his decision making and judgement is on point. Time will tell.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:21 - Dec 6 with 998 viewsbilllm

Mark Ashton speaks… on 13:06 - Dec 6 by Dennyx4

Do you think he means Johnson?

They have worked closely together before - not that I think it would be a good choice.

HIm or Appleton unfortunately,
Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:23 - Dec 6 with 995 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:09 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

Illinois Blue - totally correct…we are historically a club that’s flitted between 2nd and 3rd tiers. Nice ground, if I could add screenshots to your forum I could show you some if the ways he played a huge part in our downward curve. I don’t blame him totally….if you see my first post on this forum I don’t lay the blame only on him. You are historically a much bigger club than us.

We had an absent owner (in Guernsey) who left it to Ashton - parallels with your US owners

We had a manager in Lee Johnson who loved having players for players same (clubs in the bag he used to say) - parallels with signing circa 20 players this summer, and I think it’s fair to say they don’t meet a clear playing identity. Some of that is Cook’s fault too.

At City he didn’t have all “his men” around him, at your club he does, and he’s a danger, all about his ego, and power. He has that power now, he will be uncontrollable.

I’m not posting because I’m jealous he’s gone to you. When I heard in January he was off, nobody could’ve been happier. I’d spent 3+ years gradually seeing him destroy what had been built by our previous regimes. He did it elsewhere too.

I somewhat fail to see where your 'downward curve' is. Ashton joined just after you'd been promoted back to the Champ. You then climbed steadily back up to mid-table-ish. You had a bit of a poor season last time out, but avoided relegation (that happens in the Champ, we fell from the fringe of the playoffs to 16th under McCarthy). You're now back in the hunt for a reasonable finish, beating Stoke and Derby. Good renovations to the stadium (without destroying the feel of the place) in the process.

Not like he dropped you to the third tier for the first time in six decades and left you marooned there for three seasons.

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:23 - Dec 6 with 981 viewsitfcsuth

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:18 - Dec 6 by brad548ye

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick but when he refers to the board does this actually include the owners as well?

Yes. Would imagine the board would include;

Mark Detmer
Brett Johnson
Berke Bekay
Mark Steed
Ed Schwartz
Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:26 - Dec 6 with 955 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:23 - Dec 6 by itfcsuth

Yes. Would imagine the board would include;

Mark Detmer
Brett Johnson
Berke Bekay
Mark Steed
Ed Schwartz

And Mike O'Leary.

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:26 - Dec 6 with 945 viewsfooters

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:09 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

Quite an unhealthy obsession you've got with him, fella. I'd seek professional advice.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:27 - Dec 6 with 940 viewsRadioOrwell

Mark Ashton speaks… on 13:53 - Dec 6 by MrTown

Why is he talking as if there is chance we could still go up this year.

Because we actually could.
Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:27 - Dec 6 with 940 viewsclive_baker

John was shocked when we told him on Saturday night that Paul was leaving.

Sure.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:29 - Dec 6 with 904 viewsRadioOrwell

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:00 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

Jeez, he actually states - “the board unanimously agreed with me”, e.g. it was his decision. He is in full control. O’Leary as Chairman above him, Rolls and Costin on the medical side, Werhun (his relative) in Operations, just brought in Gary Probert on Academy side, and now Rene Gilmartin.

What a protective bubble he has now, nobody can get to him.

Wake up Tractor Boys!

To answer everything you are saying, two words... Marcus Evans.
Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:29 - Dec 6 with 905 viewshype313

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:23 - Dec 6 by Guthrum

I somewhat fail to see where your 'downward curve' is. Ashton joined just after you'd been promoted back to the Champ. You then climbed steadily back up to mid-table-ish. You had a bit of a poor season last time out, but avoided relegation (that happens in the Champ, we fell from the fringe of the playoffs to 16th under McCarthy). You're now back in the hunt for a reasonable finish, beating Stoke and Derby. Good renovations to the stadium (without destroying the feel of the place) in the process.

Not like he dropped you to the third tier for the first time in six decades and left you marooned there for three seasons.

Indeed, and from conversations I've had with various people from Bristol, it sounds like Steve Lansdown's main priority is the Bristol Bears.

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:30 - Dec 6 with 891 viewsFevsBCFC

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:18 - Dec 6 by J2BLUE

Phil can you ban these poisonous cretins. Especially as we have so many simpletons who parrot it back to us.

We had Marcus Evans. I'm sure Ashton does have his faults or he would be the CEO of a club much higher up but he will be a massive step up on Evans.

You're doing nothing but sh1t stirring and sadly we have a lot of fans who are happy to believe every word.

J2BLUE

Why is it poisonous? Because it is different to your own view, that you don’t want to hear it? I give you my rationale for the way I think, I don’t come on and slag off your club do I?

It’s giving you the benefit of my observations over 5 years of him being COO then CEO at my club. Some of your forum members might like to hear them….especially as my first post on here was following a request for a City fan to come on and explain.

You can choose to disregard, disbelieve what I post, that’s your prerogative.

Cretin? Far from it. Hey-ho.
Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:31 - Dec 6 with 884 viewsVic

Mark Ashton speaks… on 13:46 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

Is the penny beginning to drop yet re Ashton?

Cook was a dead-man walking as soon as Gamechanger brought Ashton in. Having interviewed for our job (along with Chris Hughton) he appointed the caretaker Dean Holden. Will be interesting to see if the extensive search lands back at McGreal.

We had exactly the same bullsh1t.

“Global search”
“You’d be surprised who’s expressed an interest in the job”
“Vigorous search” (he meant rigorous)

And we ended up with Dean Holden (Dean is smashing bloke btw) our interim manager.

The story is Cook heard what Ashton had to say and tried to talk himself down in the interview so he wouldn’t get it! Your club is the first club Cook hasn’t had success at.

FWIW Rene Gilmartin, who you’ll know played for McGreal down the road, but knows Ashton and Rolls from Watford, is as lovely a bloke as you could ever meet. Very good on his opposition analysis too.

Just step back and think.

The CEO loves a transfer window, loves the thrill of a signing. How quickly are you gonna get a new manager in to build a genuine well-thought through Jan recruitment drive. The answer is you can’t. The new head-coach won’t have time to assess the current strengths and weaknesses, nor will there be enough time to properly scout and data / video analyse prospective targets.

You will be signing Mark Ashton players, those players will be from Mark’s preferred list of Agents.

As per my very first post on here, I like Ipswich, they are a club that have operated well and have a lot of likes from neutral fans.

This guy will f++k up your club….just like he did at City, Oxford and Watford.

If in 18-24 months I am wrong, I will come back on here and apologise I’ve made a mistake.

Is that the City, Watford and Oxford that are all above us?

I’m not disagreeing with you, but if in 2 yrs were in the championship and 5 years in the prem I’ll happily take his antics!

FWIW I find him a little bit smarmy, too much management speak. But so fat he’s delivered on everything he’s promised. This next decision will be key - and he’ll know it. Get this wrong and he’ll be following the manager he appoints out of the door.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:32 - Dec 6 with 871 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Mark Ashton speaks… on 13:39 - Dec 6 by Ftnfwest

Still looked in shock tbh

That's just coke eyes!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:34 - Dec 6 with 851 viewshype313

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:31 - Dec 6 by Vic

I’m not disagreeing with you, but if in 2 yrs were in the championship and 5 years in the prem I’ll happily take his antics!

FWIW I find him a little bit smarmy, too much management speak. But so fat he’s delivered on everything he’s promised. This next decision will be key - and he’ll know it. Get this wrong and he’ll be following the manager he appoints out of the door.

That's the key isn't it, he has to make sure the next appointment is the right one, otherwise his head will be on the block if it doesn't.

Having worked for an American company in the past, I know only too well how ruthless they can be, even when the going is good.

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:35 - Dec 6 with 840 viewsJ2BLUE

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:30 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

J2BLUE

Why is it poisonous? Because it is different to your own view, that you don’t want to hear it? I give you my rationale for the way I think, I don’t come on and slag off your club do I?

It’s giving you the benefit of my observations over 5 years of him being COO then CEO at my club. Some of your forum members might like to hear them….especially as my first post on here was following a request for a City fan to come on and explain.

What pisses me off is that he hasn't out a foot wrong here yet and if he's even average he will be a massive step up yet the likes of you come on here and say this kind of thing. Then an element of the fanbase repeats it as if it's fact.

If you're not actively trying to stir then do us a favour and stop posting.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:36 - Dec 6 with 830 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:27 - Dec 6 by clive_baker

John was shocked when we told him on Saturday night that Paul was leaving.

Sure.

I think the implication is that the shock was over suddenly being asked to take on the responsibility as caretaker, rather than that Cook had been sacked.

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:40 - Dec 6 with 809 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:30 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

J2BLUE

Ignore him, you're a good egg and that is the problem!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:41 - Dec 6 with 800 viewsFevsBCFC

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:31 - Dec 6 by Vic

Vic - yep exactly right. You are right to judge on what he does at your club. I might be back with my tail between my legs.

He looks to have played a blinder in your summer window.

My response back (take it in the spirit it’s intended) is when you recruit another handful / maybe more in January, just question whether c20 signings on good money was necessary in the summer, and how squad spirit will be for those signed who are no longer part of the first team plan, and are a millstone around the neck of your wage bill, who you can’t shift because you’ve committed to an inflated contract.

Out of interest, how many signed are already out of the first picture / fringe? I appreciate some are loans, will they go back?

Hladky?
Barry?
Carroll?
Others?
Mark Ashton speaks… on 15:03 - Dec 6 with 729 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:41 - Dec 6 by FevsBCFC

Vic - yep exactly right. You are right to judge on what he does at your club. I might be back with my tail between my legs.

He looks to have played a blinder in your summer window.

My response back (take it in the spirit it’s intended) is when you recruit another handful / maybe more in January, just question whether c20 signings on good money was necessary in the summer, and how squad spirit will be for those signed who are no longer part of the first team plan, and are a millstone around the neck of your wage bill, who you can’t shift because you’ve committed to an inflated contract.

Out of interest, how many signed are already out of the first picture / fringe? I appreciate some are loans, will they go back?

Hladky?
Barry?
Carroll?
Others?

Barry will go back to Villa, Carroll has been injured. Hladky played in cup games. Pretty much everyone else (who is fit) has had some involvement.

We needed a lot of signings in the summer, as a large proportion of the senior squad had been moved on (a decision taken before Ashton arrived, by the way), either due to age, form, saleability or simply because we had a bloated squad.

Mark Ashton speaks… on 15:05 - Dec 6 with 713 viewschicoazul

Mark Ashton speaks… on 14:07 - Dec 6 by Guthrum

Evans isn't on the Board. He still has a stake, but is not a board member of either Ipswich Town Football Club Ltd* or Gamechanger 20.

* Indeed never was.

Whoops
Thank you!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024