Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Berlin! 17:57 - Nov 16 with 2261 viewsmonytowbray

Going in December. Any recommendations outside the Holocaust memorial and The Ramones museum?!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Berlin! on 20:11 - Nov 16 with 619 viewsPlums

Fabulous city. I can see lots has been mentioned on here but a handful of things not mentioned or infrequently (and of course it all depends on what you’re into).

Olympic stadium, particularly if Hertha are at home. Amazing place, full of history and much of the original Olympic park is still there. If you’re into 30’s history, gazing across the Sportpalatz where so many significant rallies were held is quite haunting.

The little known (or celebrated) German Resistance museum is worth a visit if you want a different slant on the war and the fragmented efforts to unseat the Nazis.

I can’t see that anyone has mentioned Topographies of Terror which is on the site of the old Gestapo HQ where you can see some of the old cells and remains of the Berlin Wall outside. The name isn’t great in English but it’s the documentation centre (again sounds dry but really isn’t) for the war and the audio tour is well worth doing and it’s really impressive how Germany has bared its soul in this permanent exhibition.

If you have kids, they’ll enjoy the spy and espionage museum with plenty of interactive stuff.

For something a little different, the graffiti/ street art gallery is really good.

We also used the Questo app which gave us a really good walking tour of the city centre whilst trying to solve the clues.

Have fun, it’s a great city and one I can’t wait to return to.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Berlin! on 09:01 - Nov 17 with 551 viewsCrawfordsboot

As others have observed - it’s a wonderful city. It has a surprisingly low density of population, great restaurants and a great many awe inspiring sights.

We found a great way to get around a number of the key sights and get a feel for the layout was to join an organised bike tour on day one. We were then able to go back to those key sites that really interested us and take our time.
Berlin! on 09:59 - Nov 17 with 513 viewsbariotneblue

I lived there for a while and it really is the most wonderful place. All the recommendations are good from others. Get out and about in Kreuzberg on a night out. I tend to avoid the West of the city nowadays as its simply not as interesting as the east. Buck und Breck for drinks (it has a secret entrance and only allows 14 people in from my recollection but has amazing cocktails). Grab yourself a curry wurst from Knoppke’s Imbiss (good area for drinks too). Wouldn’t bother with Berghain as you’ll likely not get in. It’s great fun but there are other places equally as fun with a much more lenient door policy. And Markthalle Neun for all sorts of foods delights.
Berlin! on 10:06 - Nov 17 with 508 viewsKieran_Knows

The best weekend away I've ever had, super place.

Memorial for the murdered Jews.
Reichstag Building (government building - although you may not be able to visit now because of COVID).
Checkpoint Charlie.
Belin Wall museum
Olympic Stadium - I managed to watched Hertha BSC whilst I was there, fantastic ground.
Christmas markets - was fantastic when we went.

So much to do, I really want to go back again in the future.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Berlin! on 10:18 - Nov 17 with 502 viewsfergalsharkey

Cold depressing hole.

Take a warm coat and thick socks.

Poll: Cook out?

Berlin! on 13:37 - Nov 17 with 472 viewsPlums

Berlin! on 09:01 - Nov 17 by Crawfordsboot

As others have observed - it’s a wonderful city. It has a surprisingly low density of population, great restaurants and a great many awe inspiring sights.

We found a great way to get around a number of the key sights and get a feel for the layout was to join an organised bike tour on day one. We were then able to go back to those key sites that really interested us and take our time.

There is also the Trabbie tour which looked great fun, if a little smoky at times!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

Berlin! on 15:13 - Nov 17 with 448 viewsRobTheMonk

Went for New Year about 8 years back. It was amazing.

Stayed in a hostel and we befriended some German lads are went to a place called 'The Pub' where you can pull your own beer at your table. Needless to say that was a bad idea lol and I massively paid for it the next day.

There were fireworks EVERYWHERE on New Year's Eve.
Berlin! on 15:35 - Nov 17 with 433 viewsCotty

Berlin! on 18:04 - Nov 16 by thebooks

The DDR museum by the river is fantastic, as is the Wall museum. I just walked around as much as possible.

I stayed near Zionskirche in Prenzlauer Berg, an old DDR neighbourhood. I think staying in the old East is probably more interesting, but all the touristy stuff like Brandenburg and Reichstag is fantastic too.

Jealous!

These are all solid recommendations! +1
Login to get fewer ads

Berlin! on 15:36 - Nov 17 with 432 viewsCotty

Are you doing with kids? If so I have recommendations, if not, I'll keep shtum!
Berlin! on 15:46 - Nov 17 with 424 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Berlin! on 20:11 - Nov 16 by Plums

Fabulous city. I can see lots has been mentioned on here but a handful of things not mentioned or infrequently (and of course it all depends on what you’re into).

Olympic stadium, particularly if Hertha are at home. Amazing place, full of history and much of the original Olympic park is still there. If you’re into 30’s history, gazing across the Sportpalatz where so many significant rallies were held is quite haunting.

The little known (or celebrated) German Resistance museum is worth a visit if you want a different slant on the war and the fragmented efforts to unseat the Nazis.

I can’t see that anyone has mentioned Topographies of Terror which is on the site of the old Gestapo HQ where you can see some of the old cells and remains of the Berlin Wall outside. The name isn’t great in English but it’s the documentation centre (again sounds dry but really isn’t) for the war and the audio tour is well worth doing and it’s really impressive how Germany has bared its soul in this permanent exhibition.

If you have kids, they’ll enjoy the spy and espionage museum with plenty of interactive stuff.

For something a little different, the graffiti/ street art gallery is really good.

We also used the Questo app which gave us a really good walking tour of the city centre whilst trying to solve the clues.

Have fun, it’s a great city and one I can’t wait to return to.

"I can’t see that anyone has mentioned Topographies of Terror which is on the site of the old Gestapo HQ"

I did, but I forgot all about the resistance museum, which, I agree is fantastic.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Berlin! on 17:05 - Nov 17 with 411 viewshappybeingblue

a techno rave/club big in berlin
Berlin! on 17:46 - Nov 17 with 397 viewsmikeybloo88

A walk in the park at the Tiergarten with lovely hot chocolate and cakes at Cafe am Neuen See right on the lake is good...carry on towards the KuDamm area for great shopping and street market and see the ruined church near there which theyve left as a WW2 memorial, it's beautifully lit up at night.
Berlin! on 18:32 - Nov 17 with 375 viewsPlums

Berlin! on 15:46 - Nov 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

"I can’t see that anyone has mentioned Topographies of Terror which is on the site of the old Gestapo HQ"

I did, but I forgot all about the resistance museum, which, I agree is fantastic.

Apologies, so you did.
Although I don’t think that part is open to the public, I believe the resistance museum is the only building in Germany where the swastika is still in situ (in a floor mosaic I think?). Standing in the room where Hitler gave his first speech to the senior Wehrmacht officers and then by the memorial in the courtyard where Stauffenberg and his fellow conspirators were shot is quite an incredible and unsettling experience.

Berlin! on 18:35 - Nov 17 with 373 viewsEwan_Oozami

Berlin! on 18:32 - Nov 17 by Plums

Apologies, so you did.
Although I don’t think that part is open to the public, I believe the resistance museum is the only building in Germany where the swastika is still in situ (in a floor mosaic I think?). Standing in the room where Hitler gave his first speech to the senior Wehrmacht officers and then by the memorial in the courtyard where Stauffenberg and his fellow conspirators were shot is quite an incredible and unsettling experience.

The Wansee Conference House is also very sobering and worth a visit if time allows..

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/house-wannsee-conference

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Berlin! on 19:19 - Nov 17 with 364 viewsPlums

Berlin! on 18:35 - Nov 17 by Ewan_Oozami

The Wansee Conference House is also very sobering and worth a visit if time allows..

Jeez, I must confess I hadn’t realised that was there! One to put on the list for the next trip.

Berlin! on 19:33 - Nov 17 with 357 viewsDistantBlue

Jewish Museum for me......and interesting museum, and a really interesting building too.
Berlin! on 20:54 - Nov 17 with 337 viewsBlueNomad

The East German government didn’t want to encourage religion or it’s symbols. The architect was a Christian and deliberately made it with the golf ball effect because when the sun hits it a cross is reflected off it. So - the highest thing in East Berlin was a cross! They didn’t twig until it was too late.
Berlin! on 21:04 - Nov 17 with 332 viewsBlueNomad

Berlin! on 18:35 - Nov 17 by Ewan_Oozami

It’s a shame that they have taken everything out of the villa and it is now sparse apart from the exhibits. I found going through the old door that they entered by a bit unsettling though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024