Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toto in a nutshell today 19:21 - Nov 13 with 7991 views3_5_2

Big / strong and won most of his battles

Distribution woeful at times.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Toto in a nutshell today on 20:50 - Nov 14 with 2153 viewsKeaneish

Toto in a nutshell today on 20:21 - Nov 14 by itfcjoe

Burgess played a few good passes vs Wycombe, especially into the box - but every manager has been just as happy to let him have the ball as they are Toto. He moves it so slowly when at CB and it’s no coincidence that him, like Toto, is always left as the spare man

In any respect, assuming their passing is equally as poor, Burgess is better in the air than Toto. Toto might be a better man-for-man marker most of the time but
his clumsiness and rash decision making make him 4th choice in my squad. Wolfenden and Burgess would battle it out for a place along side Edmundson.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Toto in a nutshell today on 20:56 - Nov 14 with 2131 viewsKieran_Knows

Toto in a nutshell today on 08:55 - Nov 14 by quad

Cook rates him. 99% of the fans rate him. We don't care whether you rate him or not to be honest. That's all, live with it.

Why 99% fans rate him I do not know. We’ve had managers try shift him out of the club ever since he’s been here and he’s been a poor defender in a team looking to get back up ever since he’s been here. A bit like Holy, he seems to have some cult status among this fam base and for the life of me I can’t think why.

I really think we need a new central defender in January to partner Edmundson. Whilst I would love Woolfenden to get a run of games, I just don’t see that happening now.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Toto in a nutshell today on 21:09 - Nov 14 with 2100 viewsKeaneish

Toto in a nutshell today on 08:55 - Nov 14 by quad

Cook rates him. 99% of the fans rate him. We don't care whether you rate him or not to be honest. That's all, live with it.

Is that 99% stat true? Every game I’m at, people I’m around laugh when he has the ball or hang their head when the inevitable poor pass happens. 99% seems a bit high…

Even in yesterday’s game a young boy turned to his grandad and said, “why did that man just kick it out?”. Junior Blue, none of us can tell you the answer to that!

Toto in a nutshell today on 22:17 - Nov 14 with 2057 viewsZXBlue

Toto in a nutshell today on 20:40 - Nov 14 by tpsontour

Since you ask:

Oxford: Quest (regretting that they chose our 0-0 as their main game for extended highlights) went to town with their post-match analysis and concluded, with the benefit of VAR-style replays, that Toto got away with conceding two first half pens, not awarded. Was holding - they said all over - his man, Taylor I think, on one cross (tho I personally think a pen would have been harsh); later let a ball in behind him and had to chase back and make last-ditch lunge, taking Holland down fractionally before following through to get the ball. Karl Robinson booked for his protest at failure to award a pen.

Previous three appearances:
Oldham: Toto misjudged a long ball horribly. Edmundson came across to try and cover his mess-up but Davis curled ball around him for Oldham equaliser

Wycombe: Toto outjumped on deep corner, Wheeler first to second ball gave Wycombe lead

Plymouth: Penney blundered by being blindsided for shot at far post. Walton saved it but Toto had let Jephcott go, who was completely free to tap in the rebound. Second goal, neither Wolf nor Toto read the danger as Plymouth played a clever one-two inside them for Grant to score the winner.

The point is that he's a wholehearted player but Toto makes far too many potentially costly errors and it is then just a question of whether or not the opposition take advantage. He's in the team for now because neither Wolf nor Burgess were better while he was out injured. His partnership with the immense Edmundson, who has moved to the left side and covers for him an awful lot, is the best to date this season but an upgrade is going to be required in January for us to give ourselves a decent chance of promotion this season. 4 clean sheets in 17 games and 25 goals conceded is not promotion standard.

When you have to rely on examples of a player not guessing and dealing with other player's glaring errors, to justify continued criticism of someone who clearly improved our defence significanlt, you have to reflect on your motives.
Toto in a nutshell today on 22:44 - Nov 14 with 2024 viewsKeaneish

Toto in a nutshell today on 22:17 - Nov 14 by ZXBlue

When you have to rely on examples of a player not guessing and dealing with other player's glaring errors, to justify continued criticism of someone who clearly improved our defence significanlt, you have to reflect on your motives.

Only one out of the four points he’s made is what you’re referring to but yes, anticipation is a key part of being able to read the game. That and concentration is what stands good defenders apart from the bad ones.

I don’t think anyone’s arguing whether he’s tightened us up. What we’re arguing is that he’s a liability and we need a better footballer to play PC’s way. It’s only a matter of time before calamity strikes in something far more crucial than the first round of the FA Cup.

However, I am saying he’s the worst passer of a football I’ve seen since I started following Town.

Toto in a nutshell today on 22:52 - Nov 14 with 2005 viewsitfcsuth

Toto in a nutshell today on 18:14 - Nov 14 by itfcjoe

Toto is a better defender than Burgess and no worse on the ball

He really isn’t I’m afraid.
Toto in a nutshell today on 23:08 - Nov 14 with 1969 viewsTrumptonBlue

Toto in a nutshell
I know, I know, it’s serious

Just me? OK, then.
Toto in a nutshell today on 23:11 - Nov 14 with 1967 viewsitfcjoe

Toto in a nutshell today on 22:44 - Nov 14 by Keaneish

Only one out of the four points he’s made is what you’re referring to but yes, anticipation is a key part of being able to read the game. That and concentration is what stands good defenders apart from the bad ones.

I don’t think anyone’s arguing whether he’s tightened us up. What we’re arguing is that he’s a liability and we need a better footballer to play PC’s way. It’s only a matter of time before calamity strikes in something far more crucial than the first round of the FA Cup.

However, I am saying he’s the worst passer of a football I’ve seen since I started following Town.

I’ve never been Toto’s biggest fan, but think he has largely been decent for the last season and a half and whilst he is a good defender at the real muck and bullets stuff it’s hard to know how much we’ve tightened up because Morsy is shielding the back line, Edmundson is looking very good back there and Walton is settled in behind them.

The central midfield balance with Harper and Evans was so easy to play against that whoever was behind that was under pressure, our set piece defending was awful and Hladky looked a bag of nerves.

It does feel like a bit of a muddle to have signed 19 players in the summer and to start a league game with Toto Nsiala, Janoi Donacien and Bailey Clements in the back 4, not sure that was part of the plan!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Toto in a nutshell today on 23:17 - Nov 14 with 1954 viewstpsontour

Toto in a nutshell today on 22:17 - Nov 14 by ZXBlue

You might as well start impugning the motives of Quest and their analysts while you're at it if you can't handle Toto's mistakes being highlighted - after asking for someone to spell them out to you. They spent a large chunk of their post-Oxford analysis doing exactly that
Toto in a nutshell today on 00:56 - Nov 15 with 1908 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Toto in a nutshell today on 22:52 - Nov 14 by itfcsuth

He really isn’t I’m afraid.

He really is.

Cook has said he is one of the best CB"s in tnis league. Tell our manager that he is wrong.

You football expert.
Toto in a nutshell today on 05:58 - Nov 15 with 1846 viewsbobbyramsey

Toto in a nutshell today on 20:56 - Nov 14 by Kieran_Knows

Why 99% fans rate him I do not know. We’ve had managers try shift him out of the club ever since he’s been here and he’s been a poor defender in a team looking to get back up ever since he’s been here. A bit like Holy, he seems to have some cult status among this fam base and for the life of me I can’t think why.

I really think we need a new central defender in January to partner Edmundson. Whilst I would love Woolfenden to get a run of games, I just don’t see that happening now.

Only one manager has tried to shift Toto and that was Lambert.......

Say no more.......
Toto in a nutshell today on 06:23 - Nov 15 with 1843 viewsBondiBlue

I've watched pretty much all of toto's games since he signed for us. It's taken me a while but i now totally agree with his selection. B+llax to distribution - trying to be something he wasn't led to the clangers that nearly ended his career here.
Cook's getting the best out of him because he's addressed his weaknesses when building the team around him. In terms of strength, speed, aggression, bravery and general enthusiasm for keeping the ball out of our goal we haven't had a more complete package for years. Love him.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Toto in a nutshell today on 06:37 - Nov 15 with 1828 viewsBondiBlue

Toto in a nutshell today on 20:56 - Nov 14 by Kieran_Knows

It's intsresting you mention holy. There are similarities with toto and it makes sense to assume that if you like one, you like both. The reason i like both is they are effective at what they do. After mick bored us all senseless by playing percentages and not bothering to coach passing or attacking, i feel like the pendulum swung too far and we all (owner included) started craving style at the expense of substance. Despite the errors that cost goals, i'd argue that both holy and toto are substance over style players and the goals conceded stats should back that up (haven't checked). Those fans who like both players are probably shifting back towards a more practical balance of style and substance. Those who still prefer style will advocate for woolfenden despite his weaknesses (an obvious lack of aggression and bravery) being more of a problem to the team than toto's.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Toto in a nutshell today on 07:20 - Nov 15 with 1810 viewsKieran_Knows

Toto in a nutshell today on 06:37 - Nov 15 by BondiBlue

It's intsresting you mention holy. There are similarities with toto and it makes sense to assume that if you like one, you like both. The reason i like both is they are effective at what they do. After mick bored us all senseless by playing percentages and not bothering to coach passing or attacking, i feel like the pendulum swung too far and we all (owner included) started craving style at the expense of substance. Despite the errors that cost goals, i'd argue that both holy and toto are substance over style players and the goals conceded stats should back that up (haven't checked). Those fans who like both players are probably shifting back towards a more practical balance of style and substance. Those who still prefer style will advocate for woolfenden despite his weaknesses (an obvious lack of aggression and bravery) being more of a problem to the team than toto's.

Again, I’m not really sure what Holy is effective at? For someone or his height, he was scared to claim crosses and was poor at getting down to shots - and barely moved for others. Again like Toto, scared the life out of me with the ball at his feet.

I agree with your sentiment though about the style, but then that’s the risk and one I’m quite happy to watch. I’ve enjoyed this season, but I don’t enjoy watching Toto as part of the defence. As I think Joe has mentioned, the plan to take the options in Donaciens and Totos (and Jackson’s for that matter) contracts in the summer wasn’t to keep them round as part of the squad, it was to try shift them for as much as we could possibly get … yet here we are, owing to poor form by everyone else on their positions (KVY, Burgess & Woolf) they’ve found themselves on the starting 11. Great credit to JD, as he has massively proved me (and almost everyone) wrong. But the same can’t be said for Toto, for me anyway.

As I say, I’m sure a CB will be top of our priority’s in January. I wonder if Chris Wilder will come back in for Woolfenden now he’s been appointed at Boro as well.

Toto in a nutshell today on 08:33 - Nov 15 with 1766 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Toto's two tackles in the first half were spectacular, the second on Holland was 1-0 to Oxford all day long, but he somehow bent his leg around to take the ball off his toes, absolutely top class defending. On the ball, yeah he's not the best, but as said above PC has managed to get the team to play to their strengths. In league 1, Toto is proving to be a real rock, and since he came into the squad we have improved no end. Woolfy and Burgess may be better on the ball and help the attack, but just look at all the goals we gave away when they were at centre back.

Poll: would you rather

Toto in a nutshell today on 09:15 - Nov 15 with 1721 viewsYallop

Toto in a nutshell today on 07:20 - Nov 15 by Kieran_Knows

Again, I’m not really sure what Holy is effective at? For someone or his height, he was scared to claim crosses and was poor at getting down to shots - and barely moved for others. Again like Toto, scared the life out of me with the ball at his feet.

I agree with your sentiment though about the style, but then that’s the risk and one I’m quite happy to watch. I’ve enjoyed this season, but I don’t enjoy watching Toto as part of the defence. As I think Joe has mentioned, the plan to take the options in Donaciens and Totos (and Jackson’s for that matter) contracts in the summer wasn’t to keep them round as part of the squad, it was to try shift them for as much as we could possibly get … yet here we are, owing to poor form by everyone else on their positions (KVY, Burgess & Woolf) they’ve found themselves on the starting 11. Great credit to JD, as he has massively proved me (and almost everyone) wrong. But the same can’t be said for Toto, for me anyway.

As I say, I’m sure a CB will be top of our priority’s in January. I wonder if Chris Wilder will come back in for Woolfenden now he’s been appointed at Boro as well.

How do you know the plan to extend Donacien and Toto's contracts was so we could sell for as much as possible.

With all due respect that's nonsense
Toto in a nutshell today on 09:18 - Nov 15 with 1717 viewsJakeITFC

Toto in a nutshell today on 08:33 - Nov 15 by LegendofthePhoenix

Toto's two tackles in the first half were spectacular, the second on Holland was 1-0 to Oxford all day long, but he somehow bent his leg around to take the ball off his toes, absolutely top class defending. On the ball, yeah he's not the best, but as said above PC has managed to get the team to play to their strengths. In league 1, Toto is proving to be a real rock, and since he came into the squad we have improved no end. Woolfy and Burgess may be better on the ball and help the attack, but just look at all the goals we gave away when they were at centre back.

It was his mistake that required him to make that last-ditch challenge though - it’s like Alex Bruce syndrome all over again.
Toto in a nutshell today on 10:01 - Nov 15 with 1686 viewsKieran_Knows

Toto in a nutshell today on 09:15 - Nov 15 by Yallop

How do you know the plan to extend Donacien and Toto's contracts was so we could sell for as much as possible.

With all due respect that's nonsense

I think that was widely reported elsewhere at the time, and was what I was told also (not ar*ed if you believe me or not).

Toto in a nutshell today on 10:15 - Nov 15 with 1667 viewsYallop

Toto in a nutshell today on 10:01 - Nov 15 by Kieran_Knows

I think that was widely reported elsewhere at the time, and was what I was told also (not ar*ed if you believe me or not).

Given that Toto started the first match of the season and Donacien was on the bench I certainly don't believe that nonsense.

Jackson clearly different.
Toto in a nutshell today on 10:20 - Nov 15 with 1654 viewsKieran_Knows

Toto in a nutshell today on 10:15 - Nov 15 by Yallop

Given that Toto started the first match of the season and Donacien was on the bench I certainly don't believe that nonsense.

Jackson clearly different.

Really? Toto started because we had 2 fit centre backs at the time, him and Woolf. Edmundson was crocked and Burgess wasn't even in the building. Fair enough he got injured first game of the season, but he returned to the squad at the beginning of October and it wasn't for another 3 weeks (and 3 games later) that he got back in to the side owing to poor form of Burgess.

Still, if he's considered one of the best defenders in the league by Cook, it will be interesting to see if he gets a new deal between now and the end of the season and what the developments are in January on that.

Toto in a nutshell today on 10:28 - Nov 15 with 1646 viewsYallop

Toto in a nutshell today on 10:20 - Nov 15 by Kieran_Knows

Really? Toto started because we had 2 fit centre backs at the time, him and Woolf. Edmundson was crocked and Burgess wasn't even in the building. Fair enough he got injured first game of the season, but he returned to the squad at the beginning of October and it wasn't for another 3 weeks (and 3 games later) that he got back in to the side owing to poor form of Burgess.

Still, if he's considered one of the best defenders in the league by Cook, it will be interesting to see if he gets a new deal between now and the end of the season and what the developments are in January on that.

The fact it took time to get in the side is exactly as it should be. You play well and you keep the shirt and Burgess deserved to keep his place at the time then rightly lost it.

Overall I don't see a lot of difference in quality between Burgess and Toto and it'll be interesting if we get promoted which players can settle at a higher level.
Toto in a nutshell today on 10:30 - Nov 15 with 1644 viewsBluroo

I think a lot of the critics of Toto being too "error prone and costly" suffer from confirmation bias and have an unrealistic notion of what is a reasonable level of quality of a Div 1 team central defender.

I appreciate he isn't easy on the eye and is a bit of a hoofer. But...

The facts are, we've only lost 1 game with Toto in the side this season (which should be 0 as we missed 3 sitters v Plymouth). He is currently our highest points per game player this season and I beleive he was in the top 2 last season, so there is absolutely NO EVIDENCE that Toto costs us anything.

Quite the contrary, he was an absolute rock against Plymouth, Wycombe and Oxford, our 3 toughest games.

Let's wait until we're in the Premier League before we concern ourselves with a CB with the composure and ball playing skills of Van Dijk eh? Toto is more than good enough to help as out of this league. We'd be worse off without him.
Toto in a nutshell today on 17:59 - Nov 15 with 1562 viewstpsontour

Toto in a nutshell today on 10:30 - Nov 15 by Bluroo

I think a lot of the critics of Toto being too "error prone and costly" suffer from confirmation bias and have an unrealistic notion of what is a reasonable level of quality of a Div 1 team central defender.

I appreciate he isn't easy on the eye and is a bit of a hoofer. But...

The facts are, we've only lost 1 game with Toto in the side this season (which should be 0 as we missed 3 sitters v Plymouth). He is currently our highest points per game player this season and I beleive he was in the top 2 last season, so there is absolutely NO EVIDENCE that Toto costs us anything.

Quite the contrary, he was an absolute rock against Plymouth, Wycombe and Oxford, our 3 toughest games.

Let's wait until we're in the Premier League before we concern ourselves with a CB with the composure and ball playing skills of Van Dijk eh? Toto is more than good enough to help as out of this league. We'd be worse off without him.

Speaking of 'confirmation bias', Toto was actually 13th on points per game last season, not the top two you've cited.

For what it's worth, his stats were 1.56 points per game from 27 starts.

Our 'top performing' defenders on your chosen metric were Player of the Year James Wilson with 1.76 points from 17 starts and Kenlock with 1.67 from 17 starts.

Others ahead of him with a significant number of starts also included Norwood (1.65, 19), Bishop (1.61, 28) and Edwards (1.58, 29).

Interestingly (or not depending on your view on the metric), Toto is the only one mentioned still in our team.

Source: FBref.com
Toto in a nutshell today on 18:47 - Nov 15 with 1539 viewsKeaneish

Toto in a nutshell today on 23:11 - Nov 14 by itfcjoe

I’ve never been Toto’s biggest fan, but think he has largely been decent for the last season and a half and whilst he is a good defender at the real muck and bullets stuff it’s hard to know how much we’ve tightened up because Morsy is shielding the back line, Edmundson is looking very good back there and Walton is settled in behind them.

The central midfield balance with Harper and Evans was so easy to play against that whoever was behind that was under pressure, our set piece defending was awful and Hladky looked a bag of nerves.

It does feel like a bit of a muddle to have signed 19 players in the summer and to start a league game with Toto Nsiala, Janoi Donacien and Bailey Clements in the back 4, not sure that was part of the plan!

It’s a good point pre and post Morsy. I also said at that time that if Burgess wasn’t dropped for Toto at Fratton Park, Burgess would still have the shirt as Toto had such an easy night that night. Fine margins n’all but I wish Cook had kept patience with Burgess one more game because, as you say, we’re now seeing the positive effect of him in front of an established Edmundson and an outstanding Walton, who, is one of if not the best signing we’ve made from the 19.

If Wolfenden plays tomorrow and has a blinder, would PC keep him for Sunderland? Unlikely I reckon but I’m as keen as you are to see Wolfenden cement a place back there. Two ball playing centre halves would be something we’ve not had for a long time.

Toto in a nutshell today on 19:14 - Nov 15 with 1512 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Toto in a nutshell today on 18:47 - Nov 15 by Keaneish

It’s a good point pre and post Morsy. I also said at that time that if Burgess wasn’t dropped for Toto at Fratton Park, Burgess would still have the shirt as Toto had such an easy night that night. Fine margins n’all but I wish Cook had kept patience with Burgess one more game because, as you say, we’re now seeing the positive effect of him in front of an established Edmundson and an outstanding Walton, who, is one of if not the best signing we’ve made from the 19.

If Wolfenden plays tomorrow and has a blinder, would PC keep him for Sunderland? Unlikely I reckon but I’m as keen as you are to see Wolfenden cement a place back there. Two ball playing centre halves would be something we’ve not had for a long time.

'Two ball playing centre halves would be something we’ve not had for a long time'

Yeah let's ignore wins, points and massive improvement in our defence since Toto has returned. More important is to have ... 'two ball playing CB's '

You just like some others can't wait for Toto to give away a penalty. Been about a year since the last one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024