Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? 12:29 - Aug 30 with 8314 viewsHerbivore

Last season when Cook came in I remember him being pretty vocal about the size of the squad and it being too bloated, especially in certain areas, and us having too many loan players. He wanted a small, quality squad that he could work hard with and get playing his way.

Fast forward to the end of the transfer window and it looks very much like we're going to have a massive squad again and, if Walton and Celina join, we'll be up at five players on loan. The start has been poor and based on Hladky's displays so far I see the need for a new keeper. But another attacking player when we already have at least 2 players for every position? Morsy looks the type of midfielder we need as our current options don't look solid enough defensively, but when we already have Carroll, Evans, and Harper signed as well as El Miz and Nolan in the first team squad you have to ask whether the first three signings were made with any great thought? Did we not foresee that we might need some steel when signing three neat and tidy players to complement the two neat and tidy players already on our books?

I'm sure this will upset some as it's become unacceptable to ask questions of the new regime, but I do find the late flurry to bolster an already very large first team squad a little unsettling. It feels very much like how the old regime operated, throw new (often temporary) additions at it if it's not working rather than showing a bit more planning and nous. I hope for all our sakes it works this time.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 12:33]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:36 - Aug 30 with 1118 viewsHerbivore

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:34 - Aug 30 by chicoazul

So many..? 3 or 4 and it’s Ipswich so there will always be a couple injured.

It'll be more than that, Chico. 16 outfield players in the matchday 18 and we currently have 24 first team outfield players with a couple more possibly signing. That's a third of them that won't be invovled on a matchday if/when they're all fit.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:40 - Aug 30 with 1111 viewsElderGrizzly

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:19 - Aug 30 by itfcjoe

There’s going to be so many not even getting in the match day 18

And we have to name a squad of 22 tomorrow

There will be senior players unable to play a minute of first team football until January
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 13:42]
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:40 - Aug 30 with 1113 viewsHerbivore

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:35 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

I just attempted to do a first eleven and subs bench based on your previously post which maybe exposes the issue you raise better.

Walton; Vincent-Young, Coulson, Edmundson, Burgess; Morsy, Evans; Burns, Celina, Edwards; Bonne

Subs: Hladky, Penney, Woolfenden, Harper, Fraser, Chaplin, Pigott

Missing out: Dobra, Donacien, El Mizouni, Nsiala, Nolan, Carroll, Aluko, Barry, Jackson, Norwood

In fairness the majority of them may not be surprised at this turn of events (the first five plus Aluko and Jackson). Norwood could well be told to like it or lump it too.

With the rest I think it'll be a case of rotation though. Maybe picking certain players to exploit the weaknesses in different sides. Burns clearly is unable to play more than a match a week for now, if that, possibly the same with KVY and Coulson at the moment. Celina will probably be used sparingly for a bit due to a lack of pre-season. The signing of Barry is probably the one which doesn't sit right with me at the moment - Villa surely expect him to get game time but when? Other than in the Trophy.

Carroll hasn't come here to not even make the bench. I doubt Barry or Aluko have either. Imagine what Norwood will be like around the place if he's not even in the squad? He's enough of a bellend in normal times. I do feel the volume of signings has given us a potential headache and as I said before, on paper the quality is better but it looks as bloated a squad as the one Cook inherited.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:41 - Aug 30 with 1099 viewsStadiumofdark

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:26 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

Sadly we can only play one player in each position though, and with your breakdown we still have spares who for now at least are at the club with no guarantee of being able to be moved on. As I said in my OP, I hope it works out but I have some reservations about the approach. We look bloated in some areas of the squad, much as we did when Cook came in and he identified that as one of our main problems.

Luckily our injury record is so poor!!
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:43 - Aug 30 with 1092 viewspointofblue

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:40 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

Carroll hasn't come here to not even make the bench. I doubt Barry or Aluko have either. Imagine what Norwood will be like around the place if he's not even in the squad? He's enough of a bellend in normal times. I do feel the volume of signings has given us a potential headache and as I said before, on paper the quality is better but it looks as bloated a squad as the one Cook inherited.

I don't think Cook will hesitate to send Norwood to the bomb squad if he causes ructions and doubt Aluko has signed for any reason than being a back up. Agree with Barry and Carroll though, but with the latter we needed bodies to cover midfield - if it wasn't him it would be someone else. We probably do need a defensive midfielder through the door too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:50 - Aug 30 with 1064 viewschicoazul

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:36 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

It'll be more than that, Chico. 16 outfield players in the matchday 18 and we currently have 24 first team outfield players with a couple more possibly signing. That's a third of them that won't be invovled on a matchday if/when they're all fit.

It’ll be 24 total players with the keepers one way or another. If they’re all fit and available max of 6 will miss out. Same as every professional club in the country more or less. And like I say there will always be injuries, and the odd suspension too. No big deal. Yes Cook said the squad was too big before but I am taking that to mean the entire playing stock at that time, I imagine it will be slightly smaller in total this time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:51 - Aug 30 with 1064 viewsMerseyBlue

I agree that it doesn't really tally with what Cook said when he first arrived, which does put those doubts in your mind. That being said, perhaps those comments were made with the old ownership in mind.

I assume that the reason we're creating such a deep squad is so we can handle it if we get good offers for a handful, so we don't need to completely overturn the squad again.

The positive is that generally, the players we have brought in should prove to be significantly better than the ones we let go. However, while that should make Cook's job easier, the sheer volume of transfers heaps more pressure on a man who needs results quickly.

The next couple of weeks before our next game will be vital. I'm optimistic and think we will very soon snap into place, but the concern you have is certainly valid and understandable.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:52 - Aug 30 with 1050 viewschrismakin

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:50 - Aug 30 by chicoazul

It’ll be 24 total players with the keepers one way or another. If they’re all fit and available max of 6 will miss out. Same as every professional club in the country more or less. And like I say there will always be injuries, and the odd suspension too. No big deal. Yes Cook said the squad was too big before but I am taking that to mean the entire playing stock at that time, I imagine it will be slightly smaller in total this time.

It's almost 50% less overall in players.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:53 - Aug 30 with 1059 viewsHerbivore

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:50 - Aug 30 by chicoazul

We'll have at least 23 outfield players as we'll have the squad of 22 senior players plus Barry, plus possibly El Miz if he doesn't go out on loan somewhere. So we're back at a third of the first team squad not even in the matchday 18. That isn't easy to manage.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:53 - Aug 30 with 1059 viewsjayessess

To be fair, I think Walton and Celina are both long-standing targets who we'll take permanently if everything goes to plan, rather than sudden panic acquisitions because things aren't working. We'd probably have gone without another keeper if Walton wasn't available at the right price and Hladky's form hadn't mysteriously deserted him, but I don't think him coming in is evidence of bad squad planning necessarily.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:54 - Aug 30 with 1054 viewsJakeITFC

I’ve got no real problem with the signings of Walton and Celina as they are clearly long term targets and weren’t available until now for whatever reason, but you’d have to say that it makes the signings of Louis Barry and especially Sone Aluko look redundant.

It seems necessary to offload a good amount of footballers in the next day or so to avoid having loads of players just kicking around doing nothing once again.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:10 - Aug 30 with 1010 viewschrismakin

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:53 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

We'll have at least 23 outfield players as we'll have the squad of 22 senior players plus Barry, plus possibly El Miz if he doesn't go out on loan somewhere. So we're back at a third of the first team squad not even in the matchday 18. That isn't easy to manage.

It's completely normal. Are you struggling to find somethin negative so you're inventing some strange squad size of 11 or something?

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:18 - Aug 30 with 1006 viewsOriginalMarkyP

one thing that I don't understand about the transfer policy as a whole is the number of newbies who came in seemingly carrying knocks.

Burns, Edmundson, Chaplin, Aluko, Coulsdon, Fraser have come in carrying issues and even Celina will need time to get fit. That's a lot considering that one of our main problems over the last few seasons has been injuries and lack of fitness.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 14:20]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:20 - Aug 30 with 993 viewsITFCBlues

There's lots of assumptions in this thread & since you've posted it, Dobra already appears to be on the move.

We also don't know the extent of a few of the injuries kicking around, maybe they're more serious than first Thought?

Let's wait and see where we are come 11pm tomorrow evening to make a proper conclusion.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:24 - Aug 30 with 984 viewsitfcjoe

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:18 - Aug 30 by OriginalMarkyP

one thing that I don't understand about the transfer policy as a whole is the number of newbies who came in seemingly carrying knocks.

Burns, Edmundson, Chaplin, Aluko, Coulsdon, Fraser have come in carrying issues and even Celina will need time to get fit. That's a lot considering that one of our main problems over the last few seasons has been injuries and lack of fitness.

It can be just different standards of fitness, and wanting to get them fully fit in our system before playing them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:25 - Aug 30 with 971 viewsreusersfreekicks

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 12:40 - Aug 30 by chrismakin

sorry, did I just pi s on your fire.

Don't worry, i'll keep out now, let you have you rant.

You really didn't. You just comtort yourself to interpret everything PC does as a wonder stroke
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:27 - Aug 30 with 962 viewschrismakin

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:18 - Aug 30 by OriginalMarkyP

Some can be injuries but some is fitness levels, which is understandble when some havent had full programes.. Coulsen, Covid. Aluko... trials. Celina - Covid.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:38 - Aug 30 with 950 viewsEsseeja

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 13:53 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

You've completely missed the whole point of what Cook was talking about to me.
We had 40+ players in the first team, we've either sold or released most of them as they aren't good enough, how Dozzell and Downes got sold to championship clubs I don't know as they aren't good enough for even league one anymore for me.
We ended up keeping Woolfenden, Norwood and a returning Donacien for our first team, Holy will be an emergency backup, the rest that stayed are in the U23's looking for clubs to go to or staying and praying.
We've bought along 18, possibly 19 now, to replace the rest of the crap we had, firstly for competition, they were all probably told that competition will be key for places. This is the perfect amount for a squad, they are all going to be happy because they knew this would happen when joining as they were told it would happen. The only reason they have to not be happy is because we didn't get promoted.
I make that (4-2-3-1):
3 Goalkeepers (understandable as we needed an actual goalie)
2 left backs (Coulson and Penny)
5 CBs (Donacien can play there for cover if needed, otherwise it's 4, which is healthy competition, Edmundson, Burgess, Nsiala, Woolfenden)
2 right backs (KVY and Donacien)
3 central midfielders (we absolutely need another, and a more defensive one, if Morsy happens, make that 4, healthy for competition too, Harper, Evans, Carroll)
1-3 CAM's (Maybe Barry and Chaplin playing here if needed, but it will mainly be Fraser, most likely)
2 RW (Burns, Aluko)
2-4 LW (As seen before, if injuries are a problem, Cook's hand will be forced and Fraser will have to play here, but I can't see Edwards and Barry being dropped for him, and I see cook playing Barry here instead of ST when needed, I'll take a guess in saying that if Celina does come to Ipswich then he'll play here but I'd rather he play centrally to provide competition with Fraser)
3-4 ST (Bonne is probably guaranteed, Piggott, Norwood backup for me, can't see Chaplin being used as a ST unless a 4-4-2 is used)
That seems healthy and manageable to me, just play the top performers and drop the underperformers, if we didn't have that backup we would have to keep the underperformers in the squad.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:40 - Aug 30 with 940 viewsEsseeja

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:38 - Aug 30 by Esseeja

We had 40+ players in the first team, we've either sold or released most of them as they aren't good enough, how Dozzell and Downes got sold to championship clubs I don't know as they aren't good enough for even league one anymore for me.
We ended up keeping Woolfenden, Norwood and a returning Donacien for our first team, Holy will be an emergency backup, the rest that stayed are in the U23's looking for clubs to go to or staying and praying.
We've bought along 18, possibly 19 now, to replace the rest of the crap we had, firstly for competition, they were all probably told that competition will be key for places. This is the perfect amount for a squad, they are all going to be happy because they knew this would happen when joining as they were told it would happen. The only reason they have to not be happy is because we didn't get promoted.
I make that (4-2-3-1):
5 CBs (Donacien can play there for cover if needed, otherwise it's 4, which is healthy competition, Edmundson, Burgess, Nsiala, Woolfenden)
3 central midfielders (we absolutely need another, and a more defensive one, if Morsy happens, make that 4, healthy for competition too, Harper, Evans, Carroll)
1-3 CAM's (Maybe Barry and Chaplin playing here if needed, but it will mainly be Fraser, most likely)
2 RW (Burns, Aluko)
2-4 LW (As seen before, if injuries are a problem, Cook's hand will be forced and Fraser will have to play here, but I can't see Edwards and Barry being dropped for him, and I see cook playing Barry here instead of ST when needed, I'll take a guess in saying that if Celina does come to Ipswich then he'll play here but I'd rather he play centrally to provide competition with Fraser)
3-4 ST (Bonne is probably guaranteed, Piggott, Norwood backup for me, can't see Chaplin being used as a ST unless a 4-4-2 is used)
That seems healthy and manageable to me, just play the top performers and drop the underperformers, if we didn't have that backup we would have to keep the underperformers in the squad.

Also, cook mentioned a 4-4-2 being his plan B so having 4 strikers is a good idea.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:41 - Aug 30 with 927 viewschrismakin

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:25 - Aug 30 by reusersfreekicks

You really didn't. You just comtort yourself to interpret everything PC does as a wonder stroke

Not sure how you got that from my reply tbh

It's normal for clubs to utilise transfer windows to their potential, it's not something we have been able to do, but it's normal for players to become available in the last 48 hours of a window. Nothing to do with PC that one.

Loans... it's normal, especially at league 1 level to utilise the loan system. Not PC related that one.

Barry.. young lad on loan, happens at clubs, low risk, nothing to do with PC either

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:42 - Aug 30 with 928 viewsHerbivore

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:38 - Aug 30 by Esseeja

I make that (4-2-3-1):
2 RW (Burns, Aluko)

We didn't have 40+ players in the first team. That's just not true. I've covered the rest several times, if you don't agree then fair enough.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:50 - Aug 30 with 896 viewsEsseeja

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:42 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

We didn't have 40+ players in the first team. That's just not true. I've covered the rest several times, if you don't agree then fair enough.

We had 34 first team players and some of our youngsters played in first team games so the number is closer to 40. (I'm not talking about the EFL trophy).
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:58 - Aug 30 with 884 viewsHerbivore

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:50 - Aug 30 by Esseeja

We had 34 first team players and some of our youngsters played in first team games so the number is closer to 40. (I'm not talking about the EFL trophy).

How did we have 34 first team players when we were only allowed a squad of 22 outfield players?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 15:06 - Aug 30 with 859 viewswkj

I still think we may see some going out

Dobra (pretty much confirmed on loan to Col U)

Jackson (probably will be touted for a loan if we can't sell - Possibly even a golden handshake)

Holy/Hladky (One of these two will need to go - Holy could be sold, but don't be shocked if we loan Hladky back to Salford either)

Nolan (I thought Cook might fancy him, but does he really fit in now?)

Donacien (Established himself as a squad player, but I wouldn't be shocked if he gets another loan)

Aluko - Clearly Cook and Ashton were pissed when we signed him - Expect to see him travel to Lincoln with the first team and accidently left there as the team bus pulls away in a hurry
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 15:07]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 15:11 - Aug 30 with 844 viewschrismakin

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 14:58 - Aug 30 by Herbivore

How did we have 34 first team players when we were only allowed a squad of 22 outfield players?

Just a side point, regarding comparisons

Excluding defenders and youngsters such as Gibbs, McGavin etc

We actually had 20 'first teamers' just across midfield and strikers

+ 8 defenders, = 28 first teamers. excluding youngsters

+ 2 Gk's

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/ipswich-town/2021/2/

Also excludes Matheson for some reason, and i suppose Thomas too

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024