Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? 12:29 - Aug 30 with 8315 viewsHerbivore

Last season when Cook came in I remember him being pretty vocal about the size of the squad and it being too bloated, especially in certain areas, and us having too many loan players. He wanted a small, quality squad that he could work hard with and get playing his way.

Fast forward to the end of the transfer window and it looks very much like we're going to have a massive squad again and, if Walton and Celina join, we'll be up at five players on loan. The start has been poor and based on Hladky's displays so far I see the need for a new keeper. But another attacking player when we already have at least 2 players for every position? Morsy looks the type of midfielder we need as our current options don't look solid enough defensively, but when we already have Carroll, Evans, and Harper signed as well as El Miz and Nolan in the first team squad you have to ask whether the first three signings were made with any great thought? Did we not foresee that we might need some steel when signing three neat and tidy players to complement the two neat and tidy players already on our books?

I'm sure this will upset some as it's become unacceptable to ask questions of the new regime, but I do find the late flurry to bolster an already very large first team squad a little unsettling. It feels very much like how the old regime operated, throw new (often temporary) additions at it if it's not working rather than showing a bit more planning and nous. I hope for all our sakes it works this time.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 12:33]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I think his playing days are behind..... on 15:38 - Aug 31 with 553 viewsBloots

I expect that Craney had other responsibilities.... on 15:34 - Aug 31 by PhilTWTD

I think he sees and saw his role in part as one of helping keep up morale, someone good to have around the squad. He may have over-egged his 'wasn't a kitman' comment but I think the point he was trying to make was clear.

Think you were a little unfair to him by overlooking his pretty lengthy playing career in the precis of his CV!

...him now, but he might be able to "do a job" if Morsy (or A N Other) doesn't get over the line.

We do need some more experience on the coaching side though, don't we?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

I think his playing days are behind..... on 15:44 - Aug 31 with 528 viewsPhilTWTD

I think his playing days are behind..... on 15:38 - Aug 31 by Bloots

...him now, but he might be able to "do a job" if Morsy (or A N Other) doesn't get over the line.

We do need some more experience on the coaching side though, don't we?

Maybe, but I think too much is being read into the coaching side because of the disappointing start. From what I've seen PC tends to like working with coaches who are relative novices, although that's probably a little harsh on Jeffers as he's been working in Everton's academy for a few years.

From what I'm told PC is very hands-on on the training field, not like, for example, Joe Royle who let Willie Donachie get on with running sessions day to day while observing. PC is very much the main man on that front.
I think his playing days are behind..... on 15:46 - Aug 31 with 523 viewschicoazul

I think his playing days are behind..... on 15:44 - Aug 31 by PhilTWTD

Maybe, but I think too much is being read into the coaching side because of the disappointing start. From what I've seen PC tends to like working with coaches who are relative novices, although that's probably a little harsh on Jeffers as he's been working in Everton's academy for a few years.

From what I'm told PC is very hands-on on the training field, not like, for example, Joe Royle who let Willie Donachie get on with running sessions day to day while observing. PC is very much the main man on that front.

Wonder if Craney could outrun our centre forward first day at preseason the way Willie could though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 19:03 - Aug 31 with 430 viewssotd78

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 12:36 - Aug 30 by chrismakin

Celina is a signing for the 2nd half of the season, nothing more, it's actually quite something that we see town being proactive about a situation, we've signed him, no one else can and when it comes to the 2nd half of the season, we go into it with alot more legs than other sides will have. The complete opposite to our previous few seasons.

Late flurry in a transfer window is normal for sides that can actually make use of a window to it's full purpose. Players become available who you targetted at the beginning - Walton.

There is nothing similar to this transfer window to previous years. We've actually signed a squad.

There will still be players leaving, the squad is still not as big as last seasons either.

Loans are fine, as long as there is a reason behind him. Last season we had 6 loans, NOT 1 of them was better than what we had. Apart from Barry, we haven't had a loan as yet which us not a compliment to the squad. Bonne - beutiful use of the loan system.

If we go up, we will need to recruit again, to do so, its no suprise to see some loan signings and 1 year deals thrown in as it gives us the option if/when that time comes. etc

Agree

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 16:58 - Sep 11 with 343 viewstimothyeo

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 18:32 - Aug 30 by timothyeo

Cooks not shown any on-pitch tactical ability or nous so far.

I pray he at least has good man management. Which judging by last season is a massive no, but ill hold on to some hope that was a one off big mistake.

They spoke about having too big a squad and we're back to the same with a load of loan signings too. If we can keep everyone happy somehow then great, otherwise its a really expensive mistake in multiple ways.

Well. Can't say I didn't warn the same posters on here who have zero football knowledge, ability of objectively analyse performances or similar.

The likes of Makin, Flashing Smile etc giving me stick when I pointed out the very basics Cook has got wrong since he first came in, making out like I was the one who didn't know what I was talking about.

Now I see Makin already happy to change manager.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? on 17:05 - Sep 11 with 306 viewsGlasgowBlue

The change, it had to come by GlasgowBlue 27 Mar 2021 16:33
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the team looks just the same
And football ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again, no, no

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024