Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Wilson - Opinions needed please 14:22 - Jul 18 with 3174 viewspilgrimadam

Hi all,

My name is Adam from PASOTI (Plymouth Argyle Supporters On The Internet) and as you may well know James Wilson recently signed for us.

Part of my role at Pasoti is to write Articles introducing new players, essentially a brief written piece with some details about the players past.

However it would be really useful if I could have a couple of quotes from yourselves on your opinions of Wilson.

I have to admit, given Wilson was your PoTY, it was surprising to see he was released.

Thanks in advance.
James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:24 - Jul 18 with 2763 viewsBlueBadger

He's a solid, professional League One standard centre half. No frills.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:24 - Jul 18 with 2763 viewsNthsuffolkblue

An experienced, solid League 1 defender.

If we hadn't been looking for players ready for the Championship, we would happily have kept him here. Was part of a solid defence here, albeit in a team where the tactics were to pass the ball to death inside our own half and never take any risks.

EDIT: OH, and welcome. Best wishes for next season (except against us). How do you fancy your next season heading? Would be nice to see you guys and us successful for the sake of PM.

SECOND EDIT: As for player of the season from each of the past 3 seasons it was who was least bad of a totally inept bunch. It was difficult to choose a PoTY and not an award they should be at all pleased about.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 14:29]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:27 - Jul 18 with 2719 viewsLeoMuff

Good back up for a promotion chasing side, or a reasonable starter for a team aiming 8-15 th in the league, reasonable defender but technically limited.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:27 - Jul 18 with 2715 viewsrickw

Nobody deserved to win POTY but someone had to - all of our players last season were hopeless, he didn't play too much but wasn't terrible when he did!

He's a solid and unspectacular defender, technically and on the ball he's definitely a lower league player, but he reads the game well, wins his headers, makes his blocks and tackles - he was the best defending defender we had.

He was released as the manager / new owners are trying to build a team to be competitive in the Championship and Wilson is probably a good league 1 defender and no higher

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:28 - Jul 18 with 2710 viewsTangledupin_Blue

You should see the POTY in context. He was one of our least worst players in a shambolic, disjointed season in which nobody really shone.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:28 - Jul 18 with 2705 viewsDubtractor

Solid 6/10 performer, albeit a fairly limited stopper.

He'll do a job for you, and a decent signing on a free.

Him getting player of the year for us says more about the rest of our squad than it does him!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:32 - Jul 18 with 2646 viewsEddyJ

It's probably worth putting the PotY award in context.

We massively under-performed last year. The owner was selling up and had no interest in paying the compensation to fire Paul Lambert, so our manager was a dead-man walking for most of the season. Our players were unmotivated and we had numerous long injuries. Paul Cook has shipped out around 20 first team squad members this summer as it was clear there was something seriously wrong with the mentality across the club.

Wilson made 18 appearances for us and won PotY. That wasn't so much of an accolade for Wilson as a protest against the general level of performances and overall disinterest from some of the other players. He is a solid, no-frills centre back. He didn't make any glaring mistakes and played in our few good performances. But don't expect a world-beater just because he won our PotY.
James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:34 - Jul 18 with 2625 viewsjas0999

A very average player who will always try his best. Decent at league One level, but wouldn’t feature if you had intent of being in the promotion race. Mid to lower league one quality in my opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:34 - Jul 18 with 2625 viewsjayessess

A good League 1 stopper, as others have said. Improved on the ball 2020-21, after constantly looking for touch in his first season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:35 - Jul 18 with 2614 viewsWD19

I prefer Plymouth Independent Supporters Sharing site.

Wilson is solid and won’t let anyone down.
James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:39 - Jul 18 with 2575 viewsmonty_radio

He is a savvy defender, good in the air who divides opinion as to how good he is on the ball. For the purposes of L1 he's no better nor worse at that than most. The P.O.T.Y. comes at the end of a season that initially flattered to deceive and then took the same southwards direction as our previous 6 seasons. The manager appeared more and more unable to do or say anything sensible, and the end of him, the previous owner and the season came as a welcome relief.

In such a climate votes for P.O.T.Y. were scattered across a squad of nigh-on 50 and included fan recommendations for at least one player who'd been on loan elsewhere all season. Wilson whom injury, and random team-selection restricted to 20 games, got the nod as much for not doing anything wrong as for a season of achievement. "Good and solid" should cover it.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:42 - Jul 18 with 2538 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Solid, reliable.

Bit old school, if in doubt kick it out defender who rarely lets you down. Not brilliant at any aspect but decent and solid at everthing.

I would say underated by some ITFC fans but football is subjective so it depends what you like doesnt it. At L1 a good defender esp for a team trying to establish themselves or push up to the top half of the table but ultimately not for promotion chasing teams.

Probabaly one of few to come out of season with at least a little bit of credit for us.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:50 - Jul 18 with 2471 viewsMerseyBlue

Always felt he was underrated, and read the game well. Solid if unspectacular, but I always felt we were a better side with him in it. Didn't get to see that much of him last season due to injury, which probably goes to show how poor the competition for PotY was. He made one (sort of) surging run (I think against MK Dons away) last season which took me by surprise and looked promising, but lacked the end product. Wishing him and yourselves well for the season ahead!

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:52 - Jul 18 with 2457 viewsbilllm

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:24 - Jul 18 by BlueBadger

He's a solid, professional League One standard centre half. No frills.

I agree with all of that, very good player at this level,
James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 15:05 - Jul 18 with 2360 viewspilgrimadam

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 14:24 - Jul 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

An experienced, solid League 1 defender.

If we hadn't been looking for players ready for the Championship, we would happily have kept him here. Was part of a solid defence here, albeit in a team where the tactics were to pass the ball to death inside our own half and never take any risks.

EDIT: OH, and welcome. Best wishes for next season (except against us). How do you fancy your next season heading? Would be nice to see you guys and us successful for the sake of PM.

SECOND EDIT: As for player of the season from each of the past 3 seasons it was who was least bad of a totally inept bunch. It was difficult to choose a PoTY and not an award they should be at all pleased about.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 14:29]

Next season is a big one for us, and more importantly, Ryan Lowe. This is his third with us so it’s now time for him to prove that he’s not just a League 2 Coach.

Along with Wilson, we’ve made 5 other signings and the team looks to be taking shape, but I still feel we need maybe one or two new faces.

I think realistically, we will probably finish somewhere just above relegation zones but safe enough to not be dragged into it. Lower mid-table, I guess.

Regarding Mariner, such a sad situation. He’s incredibly highly thought of at Home Park and will be sorely missed. Unfortunately, I’m too young to have seen him play live but from the stories I’ve heard some great things.
James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 15:08 - Jul 18 with 2332 viewsDarth_Koont

Agree with the majority of posts about his solidity and reliability as a defender.

I don’t think he was that bad with the ball either. Certainly, no real difference on the ball from someone like Chambers who was also our right back for long periods even in the Championship.

All in all, a pretty well deserved POTY winner in an admittedly very disappointing season. And while not someone for the future, perhaps could have been kept on as a useful and reliable stopgap to help build our new team.

Pronouns: He/Him

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 15:09 - Jul 18 with 2321 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 15:17 - Jul 18 with 2263 viewsrexron

The defence did well when he played. A good signing.

Poll: Who would you prefer as manager for Ipswich Town?

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 15:20 - Jul 18 with 2253 viewspositivity

good character, no nonsense, calming influence on those around him, but fitness may be an issue.

he played 17 games in which we picked up 30 points, so his average was way better than the team without him. in a poor year for the club, that was enough for him to win poty

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 15:48 - Jul 18 with 2129 viewsFixed_It

Solid defender. Very understated. Fine at this level, but has probably reached his ceiling. Won't let you down, but don't be fooled by the POTY status. He was nothing special - just steady and dependable when fit.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 16:20 - Jul 18 with 2006 viewspistonbroke

He is better than any central defender we have at the moment
James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 16:33 - Jul 18 with 1933 viewsistanblue

Only one word needed: ''solid''
James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 16:35 - Jul 18 with 1923 viewswkj

Like others. Solid, No-nonsense and reliable. He was our POTY last season, but it was more of a case of "Who was least bad" rather than "Who was the best". In fact, the majority of our team from last year have been shipped out to League 2, where as Wilson remains in L1 - that pretty much sums it up.

Our recruitment has replaced almost all of last year's starters - yet CB is an are we are all anxious to see progress over the next few years.

Wilson is solid in L1 - but I would have a hard time seeing him fitting in with a teaming setting up for a promotion chase

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 17:04 - Jul 18 with 1828 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't think competition was very strong at all for POTY.

Having said that Wilson was a solid, no nonsense player, dependable and a very good pro.

I think the main reason he left was that he wants to be starting every week. Think he also fell out with Paul Lambert, but that's probably PL's fault.

Good signing for you guys.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

James Wilson - Opinions needed please on 17:53 - Jul 18 with 1620 viewsGuthrum

Did a decent job alongside Toto Nsiala. Together they were our best defensive pairing of last season, recording 7 clean sheets from 18 games.

The reasons he was released were, I believe, twofold and related - his age (32) and his injury record (he only made those 18 appearances all season).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024