Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks 16:01 - May 13 with 4252 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Obviously I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but he comes across as genuine, passionate about doing things right, and has a bubbly, infectious enthusiasm. If I was a player at Ipswich I'd be getting in early, hitting the gym, and practicing hard. I remember a story of David Beckham having to go home from practicing free kicks because it was too dark and they'd turned the lights off. I'd want players with that attitude.

I hope some of the players I like show that, step up, and stay. For me, this is a long needed overhaul. No sentiment. We just need winners. Are you up for the fight?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:07 - May 13 with 1921 viewsclive_baker

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:30 - May 13 by itfcjoe

Depends to what ends that is - if we bin off younger talented players and replace them with journeymen to get us up is it the right way to go?

We need to be looking at getting up, staying up, and then competing - hopefully the transfer business is with that in mind....

This is where I'm at too Joe. It's all so binary. It's like it's option A) Sack them all, and if you're not on board with that you default to "Oh you want to keep them all and keep finishing 11th then?". I don't think anyone is suggesting that, but there's perhaps a middle ground where the sh1t is moved on (lets be honest, that's 75% of the squad) whilst retaining that handful of players that we know have potential, especially if given the chance to showcase their talents in a better side, structure, environment. Surely sacking off the dross and keep the better ones is the way forward?

What I would say, is in terms of the players officially released thus far, I don't think it's far wrong. My nervousness is the ones he's since told can leave for pastures new. I heard 1 from the horses mouth that surprised me, and he's particularly disappointed with it. Another few are well rumoured a la Dobra and Downes. These ones feel like change for the sake of change. So it's not so much what's actually happened as we sit here today that concerns me, it's what looks likely to happen over the next 8 weeks. And if there's no suitors, I question how motivated they can get further to Monday's conversations.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:08 - May 13 with 1916 viewsSwansea_Blue

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:10 - May 13 by itfcjoe

I think people are over rating Cook so far - he's shown very little here since he's come in to justify that - both on and off the pitch.

We are looking at his previous history, where we don't really know the full situations, and projecting it on to ITFC.

I really hope it works out, but I always fear a manager being given such a seemingly free reign at a club - you have to assume Ashton et al are involved in this too.....but doesn't feel like there is a good long term strategy at play here as we speak.

You do have to assume that Ashton et al are all over this. It would be nonsensical if they weren't (and the owners wouldn't be too happy; why put a maangement team in and then give the manager a free reign?).

I definitely have reservations after his start, but this is very much a reset and the last 2 months may be no indication of how things work out from now on.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:09 - May 13 with 1911 viewsButterbing

Depends to what ends that is - if we bin off younger talented players and replace them with journeymen to get us up is it the right way to go?

We need to be looking at getting up, staying up, and then competing - hopefully the transfer business is with that in mind....

Whilst I get fans' concerns it does feel like many people are getting ahead of themselves. We are going through a period of change currently. Any period of change over the last ten years or so has ended in disaster so do you assume this one will also?

I'm reserving judgement until we see what the squad is like in August. I'm hoping it will look positive, but I personally am happy to give the new manager, coaches, CEO and squad a few months before I will start worrying.

The future is obviously unknown and we have all been burned by Town before. However, maybe this time things will actually work out for us.
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:09 - May 13 with 1909 viewsHerbivore

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:57 - May 13 by haynes_toe1

To be fair I literally said that 4 weeks ago and you rubbished me for it.

That's because you're a budgie troll.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:11 - May 13 with 1889 viewshaynes_toe1

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:09 - May 13 by Herbivore

That's because you're a budgie troll.

But you've just said the same thing...

Are you a budgie troll too then? Just 4 weeks late to the budgie-troll party?
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:12 - May 13 with 1888 viewsIllinoisblue

On the point of youths, I don’t recall in 92 or 00 being too fussed about how many “of our own” were in the team. Just immensely enjoyed winning football. If Cook gets us up - and he really has to given all that’s gone on - then there shouldn’t be too many moans and groans.

The next couple of months are going to be unbearable in many ways with the endless speculation- at least we have the Euros as a distraction!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:12 - May 13 with 1883 viewsHerbivore

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:11 - May 13 by haynes_toe1

No, I'm responding to the atmosphere on here today as a Town fan. Whereas you are a budgie troll.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:16 - May 13 with 1868 viewsclive_baker

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:11 - May 13 by haynes_toe1

Budgie troll.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:16 - May 13 with 1867 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:09 - May 13 by chrismakin

Someone close to the club mentioned Cooks disappointment that he never saw anyone in early, in the gym etc.

Indeed. And that says a lot. That wouldn't be me in their position. I reckon you, me and a great deal on this board would be busting a gut until we vomit. Not just for ITFC but for personal pride. If I was a professional footballer I'd give everything to be the best. People take the piss out of Beckham but he put the work in to turn himself from an alright player to one of the best.

I totally understand people's nervousness but this is sport and we need winners. We haven't had that attitude for 20 years, and thus the decline.

I'm genuinely flabbergasted at the flouncing on here. This is what we wanted. Strap in or get back to your crochet.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:19 - May 13 with 1861 viewspositivity

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:12 - May 13 by Illinoisblue

On the point of youths, I don’t recall in 92 or 00 being too fussed about how many “of our own” were in the team. Just immensely enjoyed winning football. If Cook gets us up - and he really has to given all that’s gone on - then there shouldn’t be too many moans and groans.

The next couple of months are going to be unbearable in many ways with the endless speculation- at least we have the Euros as a distraction!

the euros won't be a distraction, it's where cook will be doing his shopping.

domagoj vida, vlatko stojnovski and joel pohjanpalo here we come

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:21 - May 13 with 1846 viewshaynes_toe1

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:12 - May 13 by Herbivore

No, I'm responding to the atmosphere on here today as a Town fan. Whereas you are a budgie troll.

Interesting take. Wrong of course, but interesting all the same. If you were correct, you should be concerned because we agree on most footballing points you make!
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:23 - May 13 with 1845 viewschrismakin

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:16 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed. And that says a lot. That wouldn't be me in their position. I reckon you, me and a great deal on this board would be busting a gut until we vomit. Not just for ITFC but for personal pride. If I was a professional footballer I'd give everything to be the best. People take the piss out of Beckham but he put the work in to turn himself from an alright player to one of the best.

I totally understand people's nervousness but this is sport and we need winners. We haven't had that attitude for 20 years, and thus the decline.

I'm genuinely flabbergasted at the flouncing on here. This is what we wanted. Strap in or get back to your crochet.

Many posters know, I was very nervous about the take over, but so far, everything they promised has happened, there's a structure being put in place etc etc, and I've no reason at all not to trust the current manager when it comes to transfers, he may ruin that trust, we will see, but until then i'm fully behind him.

Completely agree with you regarding the gym and effort, Owen Garvan in an interview once said how he was in early, stayed late now he wonders why, but he did it. And when you've got PC coming in, showing the players that fitness levels needed increasing, I appreciate certain things take time, but at least put the effort in.

What I don't get is this belief that we're just going to throw players away for no reason, just like people have said to me about keeping Drinan, there has to be a reason
With Downes, we know he wants out, Dozzell - Incredibly frustrating, can you trust what you get from him week in week out? Bishop, I can't tell you where he should play, all these things the manager does Know

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:28 - May 13 with 1828 viewsSwansea_Blue

It shouldn't say a lot. Each player should have their own tailored fitness programme and be monitored to the hilt. It should be easy to see who's doing what's required and to see how they respond to the plan. Assess, modify then re-assess. Rinse and repeat. It's a professional sport where we need to keep people at the top of their game for about 10 months of the year, not some sweaty back street gym where people burn themselves out after a few months. Being first in, last out and doing more than you need to doesn't sound a very clever way of going about things.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:33 - May 13 with 1819 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:10 - May 13 by itfcjoe

I think people are over rating Cook so far - he's shown very little here since he's come in to justify that - both on and off the pitch.

We are looking at his previous history, where we don't really know the full situations, and projecting it on to ITFC.

I really hope it works out, but I always fear a manager being given such a seemingly free reign at a club - you have to assume Ashton et al are involved in this too.....but doesn't feel like there is a good long term strategy at play here as we speak.

I am only going on Cook's history. I don't think what he's done so far can be fairly judged, on many factors. People aren't overrating Cook, his CV does that. I'd hope people chill out and give him a chance. I'd expect that (at least) from you, as someone who I respect footballingwise.

You've broken ranks and gone a bit rogue for me. Really odd (to me) versus your previously very measured and articulate missives. Like me, you've seen this sh£t for too long, but unlike me - to the extent that change properly scares you. I personally turn that fear into excitement.

We... and I've said this many times... need to stop blaming mangers. The biggest thing about this takeover for me is getting in a proper structure. I'm not defending our managers but they've all had one thing in common...

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:47 - May 13 with 1789 viewsHerbivore

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:33 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

I am only going on Cook's history. I don't think what he's done so far can be fairly judged, on many factors. People aren't overrating Cook, his CV does that. I'd hope people chill out and give him a chance. I'd expect that (at least) from you, as someone who I respect footballingwise.

You've broken ranks and gone a bit rogue for me. Really odd (to me) versus your previously very measured and articulate missives. Like me, you've seen this sh£t for too long, but unlike me - to the extent that change properly scares you. I personally turn that fear into excitement.

We... and I've said this many times... need to stop blaming mangers. The biggest thing about this takeover for me is getting in a proper structure. I'm not defending our managers but they've all had one thing in common...

Thinking binning off all of our academy products isn't a great idea doesn't mean Joe is afraid of change. In fact that's a rather patronising attitude.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 18:12 - May 13 with 1747 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:23 - May 13 by chrismakin

Many posters know, I was very nervous about the take over, but so far, everything they promised has happened, there's a structure being put in place etc etc, and I've no reason at all not to trust the current manager when it comes to transfers, he may ruin that trust, we will see, but until then i'm fully behind him.

Completely agree with you regarding the gym and effort, Owen Garvan in an interview once said how he was in early, stayed late now he wonders why, but he did it. And when you've got PC coming in, showing the players that fitness levels needed increasing, I appreciate certain things take time, but at least put the effort in.

What I don't get is this belief that we're just going to throw players away for no reason, just like people have said to me about keeping Drinan, there has to be a reason
With Downes, we know he wants out, Dozzell - Incredibly frustrating, can you trust what you get from him week in week out? Bishop, I can't tell you where he should play, all these things the manager does Know

I broadly agree with you.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 18:17 - May 13 with 1737 viewspointofblue

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:33 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don’t think change is scary in this case as long as it isn’t change for changes sake.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 19:27 - May 13 with 1703 viewsreusersfreekicks

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:12 - May 13 by Illinoisblue

92 team had loads of home grown players. 2000 had a team that was assembled over time from within and lower leagues
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 19:28 - May 13 with 1698 viewsgordon

The culture of the club needed to change, but it needed to come from owners, management and senior figures within in the club, people setting higher standards, motivating players, demanding more of the them.

The idea that the malaise at ITFC is a result of the whole of the playing squad just being inherently lazy or whatever is nonsensical.
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 20:10 - May 13 with 1657 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 20:44 - May 13 with 1631 viewsEwan_Oozami

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:19 - May 13 by positivity

the euros won't be a distraction, it's where cook will be doing his shopping.

domagoj vida, vlatko stojnovski and joel pohjanpalo here we come

Don't think even Ed Sheeran could come with songs for those names.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 23:32 - May 13 with 1587 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Totally agree.

We have been told for weeks by the owners and Cook that there would be a big overhaul and the demolition job. So why are some people surprised?

On Monday people had been mocking the 'demolition' term in regards to the amount of players Cook released. Only 10, wasn't it?
Today the demolition word has materialised yet some are still unhappy.

This is the worst squad in the history of the club. Utter shower. Underperforming for years. They have found difficult to work harder on the training pitch. Number of disgusting performances against the bottom half teams in the last two months. Why are they still defended by some people?

Those people have been blaming the managers for years. The players have to step up ! They have been coasting for a long while.

But again we were told it'd be radical changes so they are the men of their words.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 23:33]
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 06:18 - May 14 with 1526 viewsArnieM

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:26 - May 13 by itfcjoe

Because someone has to be tasked with selling these players, and the whole of the football world will know that Cook has told them he doesn't want them back for pre season or to play for the club again.......do you think that we will be able to get top money for them now?

It seems an emotional move rather than a smart move.

You make the assumption that we give a damn about getting top dollar for them! Consider the fact that the Club now isn’t even worried about negotiating some lengthy outstanding contracts. As I’ve said in a different thread, we’ve become accustomed to believing that these players are actually “ good”. Think bigger . This Club is now, and these players don’t come within a country mile of fitting the MUCH higher standard now required and sought after.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 06:43 - May 14 with 1509 viewsbrogansnose

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 06:18 - May 14 by ArnieM

You make the assumption that we give a damn about getting top dollar for them! Consider the fact that the Club now isn’t even worried about negotiating some lengthy outstanding contracts. As I’ve said in a different thread, we’ve become accustomed to believing that these players are actually “ good”. Think bigger . This Club is now, and these players don’t come within a country mile of fitting the MUCH higher standard now required and sought after.

Irrespective of a discussion around whether or not these players should be sold , ' to not give a damn getting top dollar for them ' is poor business.
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 07:15 - May 14 with 1481 viewsgordon

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 06:18 - May 14 by ArnieM

To be honest I think we should just refuse to compete in League One next year, it's beneath us now. Just demand a Premier League place. Tell Burnley to f**K off back to the lower leagues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024