Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This wholesale turning on the players 00:18 - Mar 28 with 7459 viewsreusersfreekicks

Is unseemly imo. They haven't been properly organised/coached for a couple of years. Now just cos Cook turns up and things don't improve many people turn on them as he can't be doing anything wrong. I beg to differ, he has achieved no bounce and has been less pragmatic than Gill was. He should be doing whatever works these last few games, same as Lambert should have when we were in the championship. Instead I see a fairly rigid adherence to a style/formation. As others have said we have no-one in form to play in the 3 behind the forward except maybe Judge who was poor today and Bishop who is required in a deeper role. So let's not play like that. A new managet should be able to galvanise and enthuse the players to do better
This wholesale turning on the players on 12:02 - Mar 28 with 2914 viewspatrickswell

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:56 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Sir Bobby didn't hit the ground running after a handful of games.

I'm wasting my time here debating with sieve-heads. I'm done.

Comparing Robson's start to other managers never does them any favours. In his first four games the team defeated Manchester United and Arsenal.

But of course, Robson didn't inherit the demotivated shower that Cook has. I genuinely think this current squad is unmanageable.
This wholesale turning on the players on 12:05 - Mar 28 with 2899 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:57 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

The upturn was four games which was enough to get us within one point of the play offs - if the aim was to miss out on the play offs we may as well as have kept Lambert, which might have saved Evans money on the release clauses.

(As an aside we should have ditched Lambert and hired Cook post Portsmouth at home at the very latest to give him the January transfer window but heaven help we do something logical)

WTF are you talking about?! Who cares how many games the upturn was - it's not the point. The team is crap. An upturn merely papers over the cracks. They were crap before the upturn... they were great at the start of the season... they've been crap for 3 years (at least). See a pattern?

A proper change is needed, proper coaching over a period of time, new players (perhaps not better quality but better mentality). At the moment Cook is finding this all out. You want him to do that AND fix it - immediately. That's not how football works. Or life for that matter.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

This wholesale turning on the players on 12:08 - Mar 28 with 2882 viewstextbackup

This wholesale turning on the players on 12:05 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

WTF are you talking about?! Who cares how many games the upturn was - it's not the point. The team is crap. An upturn merely papers over the cracks. They were crap before the upturn... they were great at the start of the season... they've been crap for 3 years (at least). See a pattern?

A proper change is needed, proper coaching over a period of time, new players (perhaps not better quality but better mentality). At the moment Cook is finding this all out. You want him to do that AND fix it - immediately. That's not how football works. Or life for that matter.

you are absolutely right.

however some cant see beyond the cowleys getting a couple of quick wins under their belts

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This wholesale turning on the players on 12:10 - Mar 28 with 2876 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 12:02 - Mar 28 by patrickswell

Comparing Robson's start to other managers never does them any favours. In his first four games the team defeated Manchester United and Arsenal.

But of course, Robson didn't inherit the demotivated shower that Cook has. I genuinely think this current squad is unmanageable.

I meant that more generally - after his first year was it? The calls were for Robson out. Whether a manager starts off with great results or iffy results, it's not a true reflection of what they'll be like either way. They have't had time for their ideas to even begin to be implemented, let alone been able to get their own players who fit those ideas.

Too many expect immediate results - and then they expect that to continue forever more. I don't know what world these people are living in but it's not the real one.

This wholesale turning on the players on 14:17 - Mar 28 with 2840 viewsgazzer1999

This wholesale turning on the players on 12:10 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

I meant that more generally - after his first year was it? The calls were for Robson out. Whether a manager starts off with great results or iffy results, it's not a true reflection of what they'll be like either way. They have't had time for their ideas to even begin to be implemented, let alone been able to get their own players who fit those ideas.

Too many expect immediate results - and then they expect that to continue forever more. I don't know what world these people are living in but it's not the real one.

No one expects instant results, but we have been waiting since Joe Royle left the club. We were moving in the right direction when Gill and input from Klug was involved, and the green shoots were showing. looks like they all got snuffed out by bringing a new cook to the table and against lower in the league teams, either that or there was a sharp spring frost that did for the green shoots.
You do not need to change a whole team to get results you just coach to what you have if you are able to, if not then you are the wrong person for the job.
This wholesale turning on the players on 14:37 - Mar 28 with 2829 viewsnoggin

This wholesale turning on the players on 02:26 - Mar 28 by SuffolkBlue11

Yeah as much as I’d like to see us go up this year I don’t think cook can be slated too much if we don’t. He needs to be given a full transfer window, hopefully get his assistant, get a full pre season under our belts and see how we start next season. Of course this is partly dependent on whether evans plays ball transfer wise

I fear one transfer window won't be enough. The squad needs a bloody good clear out and it will be too much to ask PC to find enough quality, in that quantity, in such a short time.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

This wholesale turning on the players on 14:39 - Mar 28 with 2829 viewsChurchman

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:57 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

The upturn was four games which was enough to get us within one point of the play offs - if the aim was to miss out on the play offs we may as well as have kept Lambert, which might have saved Evans money on the release clauses.

(As an aside we should have ditched Lambert and hired Cook post Portsmouth at home at the very latest to give him the January transfer window but heaven help we do something logical)

The upturn was three narrow wins, one against 10 men that followed two desperate performances against Oxford and the might of Northampton. 5 goals in 5 games, three games of which were at home. The 5 before that, 3 losses, a win and a draw with 3 of those home games. 4 goals scored. Wow, I’d forgotten how we were ripping it up before Cook came and ruined things.

The reality is that however close to the play offs we were and are (3 points off 5th), we have been dreadful for literally years. It makes no difference whether we are in the top 6 or not. Any team that puts in 100% shift against us is likely to get at least a draw. You are never out of the game if the opposition can’t make chances or score goals.
This wholesale turning on the players on 16:13 - Mar 28 with 2800 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 12:08 - Mar 28 by textbackup

you are absolutely right.

however some cant see beyond the cowleys getting a couple of quick wins under their belts

And I wanted the Cowleys. But it's absurd to be giving Cook grief already.

Login to get fewer ads

This wholesale turning on the players on 16:18 - Mar 28 with 2794 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 14:17 - Mar 28 by gazzer1999

No one expects instant results, but we have been waiting since Joe Royle left the club. We were moving in the right direction when Gill and input from Klug was involved, and the green shoots were showing. looks like they all got snuffed out by bringing a new cook to the table and against lower in the league teams, either that or there was a sharp spring frost that did for the green shoots.
You do not need to change a whole team to get results you just coach to what you have if you are able to, if not then you are the wrong person for the job.

You've bought into Evan's green shoots nonsense then?

And what does Royle have to do with what Cook's inherited now?

Cook has had 1 week of proper coaching. How much do you think he'll change a team that's been failing for years in 1 week?

This wholesale turning on the players on 16:20 - Mar 28 with 2788 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 14:37 - Mar 28 by noggin

I fear one transfer window won't be enough. The squad needs a bloody good clear out and it will be too much to ask PC to find enough quality, in that quantity, in such a short time.

I'd agree. Unfortunately some of our special supporters aren't even giving him ONE window to sort us out!

This wholesale turning on the players on 16:42 - Mar 28 with 2777 viewsbraveblue

Pros don’t need coaching to put more effort in. Nor to pass 10 yards.
This wholesale turning on the players on 16:49 - Mar 28 with 2769 viewstextbackup

This wholesale turning on the players on 16:13 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

And I wanted the Cowleys. But it's absurd to be giving Cook grief already.

yeah, but, this way if PC does fail they can say they called it first and get internet points off strangers they don't know.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This wholesale turning on the players on 17:08 - Mar 28 with 2759 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 16:49 - Mar 28 by textbackup

yeah, but, this way if PC does fail they can say they called it first and get internet points off strangers they don't know.

Seems to be the way.

This wholesale turning on the players on 17:35 - Mar 28 with 2743 viewsMrTown

People sounding off on PC already

He’s been here 2 minutes with the worse squad in our history. We are lucky to have him and muppets like you come along already giving him stick already.

Gives me the right irk, got one of the most idiotic fanbase we have.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

This wholesale turning on the players on 18:05 - Mar 28 with 2721 viewshaynes_toe1

Its interesting that the narrative is that we've been terrible for 3 years yet...

1) The first 2 months Hurst took over it was all better football.

2) Lambert was afforded a free pass in getting us relegated and showing absolutely nothing because 'the 'football was better' and 'we had our football club back

3) Lambert was then fantastic for the first half of the League One campaign according to the majority on here.

I was show down for pointing out 2 and 3 were inevitably incorrect at the relevant times. I was proven comprehensively right.

Now, Cook deserves time. But if we see literally no sign of even basic gradual improvement from now until the end of the season and finish outside the playoffs it won't half reek or Lambert first half season with us.
This wholesale turning on the players on 18:14 - Mar 28 with 2715 viewsMach_foreignBlue

This wholesale turning on the players on 17:35 - Mar 28 by MrTown

People sounding off on PC already

He’s been here 2 minutes with the worse squad in our history. We are lucky to have him and muppets like you come along already giving him stick already.

Gives me the right irk, got one of the most idiotic fanbase we have.

7 players out of the starting 11 from yesterday were in the club when we were getting relegated. There was no hunger, no desire, no drive among them to fight for survival yet they got clapped and cheered by SBR after the Birmingham game.

This team is riddled with failure and mediocrity and they have been getting away with it for a long time. It was always Hurst or Lambert's fault for some people.

Imagine if we had appointed Joey Barton instead of Cook and if Barton was saying these things about the players' poor attitude on the training pitch.......These hopeless wasters would still have been defended by some people, what would it be? Something like: Barton is a thug, he is treating players badly during the trainings etc etc...

This is going to be Cook's biggest ever managerial job. He seems to have more passion for our club than entire first team.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 18:16]
This wholesale turning on the players on 18:48 - Mar 28 with 2668 viewsgazzer1999

This wholesale turning on the players on 16:18 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

You've bought into Evan's green shoots nonsense then?

And what does Royle have to do with what Cook's inherited now?

Cook has had 1 week of proper coaching. How much do you think he'll change a team that's been failing for years in 1 week?

Read what I said or do I need to repeat it? We have been waiting for something since Royle left, god some people it is total waste of time trying to engage when you get replies like that. One week of training and 6 games unbelievable.
This wholesale turning on the players on 19:05 - Mar 28 with 2653 viewsPJH

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:56 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Sir Bobby didn't hit the ground running after a handful of games.

I'm wasting my time here debating with sieve-heads. I'm done.

Sir Bobby did actually.

I pointed that out on another thread earlier but only just saw your post.

His first six games, in the top division, were:-

Everton(a) D
Man U(h) W
Leeds(a) L
Arsenal(a) W
Wolves(a) D
Man C(h) W

Next two were a draw at Spurs and a win at West Ham.
This wholesale turning on the players on 19:10 - Mar 28 with 2644 viewshaynes_toe1

This wholesale turning on the players on 19:05 - Mar 28 by PJH

Sir Bobby did actually.

Everton(a) D
Man U(h) W
Leeds(a) L
Arsenal(a) W
Wolves(a) D
Man C(h) W

Yes, we certainly attained a new manager bounce which gives an insight into the motivational and psychological capabilities of a manager, if not into their tactics etc.
This wholesale turning on the players on 19:14 - Mar 28 with 2634 viewsKeaneish

This forum points and gesticulates in every direction to try and focus blame on a singular entity. Reality is, it’s a culmination of many years of inadequacy to get to this point. We just have to be patient and accept it’ll take a bit of time. However, given it’s been horrendous for many seasons, we all want and deserve a quick fix - it isn’t going to happen though. Too many frailties throughout.

We might make play-offs but, so what? We need more than a band aid to sustain us in the Championship. I’m convinced Cook will take us up but it’ll likely be next season, not this one.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

This wholesale turning on the players on 19:21 - Mar 28 with 2629 viewsShropshireBluenago09

We haven’t had a decent midfield since Magilton & Holland - that’s the main issue

Gus Uhlenbeek

This wholesale turning on the players on 19:38 - Mar 28 with 2616 viewsbluesatin

This wholesale turning on the players on 19:05 - Mar 28 by PJH

Sir Bobby did actually.

Everton(a) D
Man U(h) W
Leeds(a) L
Arsenal(a) W
Wolves(a) D
Man C(h) W

Didn't Bobby Robson bring in two players Jimmy Robertson and Frank Clarke as the transfer window didn't close till the end of March these two players added to the managers bounce Paul Cook dose not have that luxury to bring in new players till the summer. Lets wait till he's had 10 games next season before we judge him, don't forget it looks like Evans is still going to be holding the purse strings tightly.
This wholesale turning on the players on 19:43 - Mar 28 with 2607 viewsPJH

This wholesale turning on the players on 19:38 - Mar 28 by bluesatin

Didn't Bobby Robson bring in two players Jimmy Robertson and Frank Clarke as the transfer window didn't close till the end of March these two players added to the managers bounce Paul Cook dose not have that luxury to bring in new players till the summer. Lets wait till he's had 10 games next season before we judge him, don't forget it looks like Evans is still going to be holding the purse strings tightly.

Robertson and Clarke arrived the following season.

Nobody was signed to go into the first team in back end of 1968/69 although Ray Crawford left after playing in SBR's first five games.
This wholesale turning on the players on 20:24 - Mar 28 with 2580 viewsitfcjoe

This wholesale turning on the players on 19:43 - Mar 28 by PJH

Robertson and Clarke arrived the following season.

Nobody was signed to go into the first team in back end of 1968/69 although Ray Crawford left after playing in SBR's first five games.

Mick Mills said that Cook will only be able to man manage throughout rest of the season, and that anything major needs to wait until the pre season as simply not time to do it.

We've got another 10 games to go this season, and need to find a bit of form from somewhere - if Cook sees us to 10th or 11th and a way from the play offs then that will be really disappointing - if we wanted to drift down the table and then clear the players out in the summer then we could have just left Lambert in for a few more weeks to achieve that - I expected a bounce from Cook, as did everyone else....if we don't get it then my optimism levels for next season will be down

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This wholesale turning on the players on 20:26 - Mar 28 with 2577 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 18:48 - Mar 28 by gazzer1999

Read what I said or do I need to repeat it? We have been waiting for something since Royle left, god some people it is total waste of time trying to engage when you get replies like that. One week of training and 6 games unbelievable.

However long you've been waiting has nothing to do with Cook. If you think 1 week of training is enough to turn this years-failing club around then there's no helping you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024