Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa 13:40 - Feb 5 with 4010 viewscarlisleaway

40 years ... Mariner, Marshall, Scowcroft, Kuqi, Wickham, Lee, D’Vray

What about Stewart and Bent just thinking of 2

Let us have your top 10
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 23:12 - Feb 5 with 907 viewsjaykay

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 15:37 - Feb 5 by PJH

Yes Whymark was certainly the best that I have seen for ITFC.

I liked Belfitt too and it seemed a disaster when he went and we signed the relatively unknown David Johnson. Different sort of player but Johnson was not too bad either.

rod chested the ball in the net , for one of his first goals for the town

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 06:29 - Feb 6 with 852 viewsCoastalblue

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 22:54 - Feb 5 by RonFearonsHair

Adam Proudlock was the widest.

Proudlock and Gregory up front would have been a real pair of wide boys.

I agree that Mariner wasn't really a target man, but he had all the attributes required, plus a lot more. Amazing touch for a big guy.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 07:45 - Feb 6 with 838 viewsernie

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 14:45 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

Whatever you do, don't look at his twitter feed.

What do his non-woke anti liberal views that presumably have your knickers in a twist have to do with his footballing ability and someone else's memories of that during his time here?
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 07:48 - Feb 6 with 834 viewsHerbivore

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 07:45 - Feb 6 by ernie

What do his non-woke anti liberal views that presumably have your knickers in a twist have to do with his footballing ability and someone else's memories of that during his time here?

I call a berk a berk, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 08:51 - Feb 6 with 818 viewsaceviljoen

Trevor Whymark
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 08:55 - Feb 6 with 812 viewsoneoffposter

The target man category doesn’t really work as plenty can depend on who you play with and the style of play

Wickham is certainly no target man but on the grounds he’s included I’d say Marcus Bent, Alun Armstrong and Richard Naylor should ahead of him

For me an obvious omission would be Pablo, his game was based around getting the ball played to him with his back to goal, therefore being a constant target for his teammates. From that list only
mariner and Scowcroft were on his level for taking the ball and keeping it.

for me a target man doesn’t need to be 6 foot plus it’s about giving your
team a target to play the ball too
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 09:27 - Feb 6 with 796 viewsArnieM

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 13:44 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

Murphy is a staggering omission from that list when you look at some who have been included.

Not really. He had one purple season , and secured his “ big move” on the back of that. He rarely got into double figures for goals in his career.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 09:46 - Feb 6 with 788 viewsHerbivore

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 09:27 - Feb 6 by ArnieM

Not really. He had one purple season , and secured his “ big move” on the back of that. He rarely got into double figures for goals in his career.

He got into double figures 3 seasons in a row after we signed him permanently and started playing him up front regularly rather than on the left. 50 goals in 127 games in the second tier after joining us on a free is a good return. Think you're in a small minority if you think he doesn't deserve to be on that list.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 09:49 - Feb 6 with 788 viewsclive_baker

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 09:27 - Feb 6 by ArnieM

The playoff season was the remarkably special one, but the year before and year after that he really carried us. Even on loan he was massively important to the side, playing wide left and chipping in with goals. He was a huge part of the side for 4 or 5 years I would say, regularly getting into double figures. Plus if that’s the criteria, Murphy did it 3 times to Wickham’s zero.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 10:42 - Feb 6 with 772 viewsnorth_stand77

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 13:46 - Feb 5 by suffolkpoker

Ian Marshall is still one of my fav signings. Then he went on that run of scoring every game when he first signed. Followed by getting injured with a shopping trolley.

Haha! That should be a post on the 'Bantz Era' thread!
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 11:03 - Feb 6 with 761 viewsshamboy

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 15:37 - Feb 5 by PJH

Yes Whymark was certainly the best that I have seen for ITFC.

I liked Belfitt too and it seemed a disaster when he went and we signed the relatively unknown David Johnson. Different sort of player but Johnson was not too bad either.

I think sufficient time has passed for the truth to be told. Everton really didn't want to lose David Johnson.

But they were told by the plod to move on David Johnson and Alan Whittle as they had been involved in playing goosey-goosey with some of the young maidens around Merseyside.

Different times.
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 11:44 - Feb 6 with 742 viewsGavTWTD

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 14:06 - Feb 5 by NthQldITFC

Would it be fair to say that Steve Whitton was a wide target man?

Yes, was going to suggest this.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Craig Forrest.... on 12:07 - Feb 6 with 734 viewssolemio

Craig Forrest.... on 13:51 - Feb 5 by Bloots

....smashing it long to Steve Whitton's head was key to our promotion under John Lyall.

It was far more frequently David Linighan hitting it long onto Steve Whitton's head. He was far more accurate than Craig.
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 12:39 - Feb 6 with 729 viewsEnigma_Blue

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 19:56 - Feb 5 by istanblue

Wickham wasn't really a target man. Often played out wide when he was with us. Also where's Leon Best on that list?

Quite, as well as Murphy I would also have Jon Stead in that list instead of Wickham.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 12:50]
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 12:46 - Feb 6 with 726 viewsjas0999

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 13:46 - Feb 5 by suffolkpoker

Ian Marshall is still one of my fav signings. Then he went on that run of scoring every game when he first signed. Followed by getting injured with a shopping trolley.

Me too! Very injury prone though. Great on his day.
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 12:58 - Feb 6 with 718 viewsfloridablue

Haven't seen the list of candidates. Did Lee Chapman get a honorable mention?
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 13:02 - Feb 6 with 708 viewsNthQldITFC

Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 08:55 - Feb 6 by oneoffposter

The target man category doesn’t really work as plenty can depend on who you play with and the style of play

Wickham is certainly no target man but on the grounds he’s included I’d say Marcus Bent, Alun Armstrong and Richard Naylor should ahead of him

For me an obvious omission would be Pablo, his game was based around getting the ball played to him with his back to goal, therefore being a constant target for his teammates. From that list only
mariner and Scowcroft were on his level for taking the ball and keeping it.

for me a target man doesn’t need to be 6 foot plus it’s about giving your
team a target to play the ball too

I always think that an appreciation of Pablo Counago marks out someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to football.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Craig Forrest.... on 13:23 - Feb 6 with 681 viewsshamboy

Craig Forrest.... on 12:07 - Feb 6 by solemio

It was far more frequently David Linighan hitting it long onto Steve Whitton's head. He was far more accurate than Craig.

Whitts' trick was to go wide so that a full back was marking him. When the long diagonal ball was driven across the pitch to him, he had perfected the art of getting across the full back and winning the ball 9 times out of 10.
Simple and effective. But I wouldn't call him a conventional target man as that label applies to a central striker who can lead the line.
Anyone read today’s EADT and seen Carl Marstons top 7 target men during the pa on 13:32 - Feb 6 with 670 viewsbrushhand

apart from wark, stewart is the best finisher ive seen play for us, not sure about him as a target man though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024