Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? 11:27 - Jan 30 with 1770 viewsunstableblue

Hopefully Lambert will gone after today’s game. Bizarrely I think Downes, Edwards and a few others are going to finally click and we’ll win, but form of full backs and striker position may make this impossible.

But we bring a new manager in, we’re lucky they have a good coaching team fully ready to bring in - Cowleys preferable here. Heaven forbid we get someone without a really good number two - a la Lambert and Hurst.

But back to the point - we have no real CEO, a seemingly weak football director. Can a manager succeed with a part time Marcus and ONeill?

The club feels listless and needs energy and direction right through it. These clubs we aspire to be, e.g. Brentford and let’s face it Norwich; they have a very strong management structure.

The signings of Dozzell and Baggot have given a modicum of faith someone knows what they’re doing.

What do you think?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:35 - Jan 30 with 1497 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I have just worked out the Maths of it on another thread and promotion from here this season would take a mammoth effort. On that basis, whoever the new manager is has to view this as a project looking for promotion next season. Giving them half a season to get the base right to have a team ready in the summer has to be the remit.

Quite frankly, that is depressing.

Our only hope for this season is for a dramatic turn around, make the play-offs and win that lottery. We would have to be remarkably better remarkably soon even for that, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:40 - Jan 30 with 1479 viewstractordownsouth

I think the point that another poster made about the heavy schedule meaning less time for coaching is worrying, but we do have a top 6 squad so a new manager bounce combined with even just halfway comeptent management should see us get in the play offs, if a new manager is in place before the Blackpool game.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:41 - Jan 30 with 1470 viewsBlueBadger

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:40 - Jan 30 by tractordownsouth

I think the point that another poster made about the heavy schedule meaning less time for coaching is worrying, but we do have a top 6 squad so a new manager bounce combined with even just halfway comeptent management should see us get in the play offs, if a new manager is in place before the Blackpool game.

The heavy scehdule=less coaching is probably the reason why Tuesday saw an Improved Performance. There's less time for Lambert to instill his half-arsed ideas, so the players do what they think will work better instead.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 11:52]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:44 - Jan 30 with 1454 viewsearlsgreenblue

I think your observation of” The club feels listless and needs energy and direction right through it.“
Is spot on, & as the drift continues is likely to only get worse not better!

I in my limited knowledge of football management I could not see even Sir Alex succeed with limited help from above, & the poisoned chalice now has a much more bitter taste than of previous, I do not know what ME plans are, I suspect he might not either, but one things for sure, I bet he wished he’d left club ownership alone, the “fast buck” has long time gone.
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:55 - Jan 30 with 1412 viewsPendejo

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:40 - Jan 30 by tractordownsouth

They are NOT a top 6 squad, such a designation requires achievement of said placing.

Potentially, yes. Salary, definitely.

Yes better coaching and management would fix the team, not so sure about the club.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:59 - Jan 30 with 1379 viewsMach_foreignBlue

'we do have a top 6 squad'

Oh yeah especially this defence that let in 3 goals at home to Swindon and make it so easy form the opposition in our box.
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:01 - Jan 30 with 1379 viewsm14_blue

I think it depends on what you mean by ‘fix the club’.

It won’t be enough to get us back to where we all feel we belong but it could well be enough to get us promoted from the third division, massively improve the mood around the place, and start to repair the massive fracture between the support and the club.
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:02 - Jan 30 with 1376 viewsjayessess

I think the only appointment that can affect "the energy and direction" right through the club is first team manager. Where else is change going to come from?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:06 - Jan 30 with 1354 viewslowhouseblue

the previous 5 managerial changes haven't fixed the club.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:12 - Jan 30 with 1311 viewsunstableblue

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:35 - Jan 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

I have just worked out the Maths of it on another thread and promotion from here this season would take a mammoth effort. On that basis, whoever the new manager is has to view this as a project looking for promotion next season. Giving them half a season to get the base right to have a team ready in the summer has to be the remit.

Quite frankly, that is depressing.

Our only hope for this season is for a dramatic turn around, make the play-offs and win that lottery. We would have to be remarkably better remarkably soon even for that, though.

The Nthsuffolk is because Marcus has left it so late... as you say promotion is very hard to achieve. Hence can you really attract a Cowley or a Cook with the salary cap looming?!?!?!

One of our attractions must have been our higher wage pool compared to rivals!!

Makes you think if Dyer/Butcher are a right move - albeit I’m just not sure they’re level headed enough?!

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:15 - Jan 30 with 1289 viewsjayessess

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:06 - Jan 30 by lowhouseblue

the previous 5 managerial changes haven't fixed the club.

McCarthy improved some things about the club and had the first team performing at a level better than its budget. Right now I'd accept that as "fixing the club".

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:15 - Jan 30 with 1278 viewsjas0999

Lambert goes a new manager comes in and somehow gets us promoted - then what? The squad would need significant investment to compete in the championship. ME failed to invest at the required levels when top a few years back. He won’t invest anything.
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:22 - Jan 30 with 1237 viewsunstableblue

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:15 - Jan 30 by jayessess

McCarthy improved some things about the club and had the first team performing at a level better than its budget. Right now I'd accept that as "fixing the club".

The problem with McCarthy he was great as a temporary fix and then a sort of ‘false dawn’ drive to the Premiership. And we shouldn’t regret his appointment. But his underlying footballing brand and ethos didn’t connect first team to academy, was turning fans off even when we were doing well, and was boxing players into an unexpansive style that to be honest i think we’re still paying for today.

A strong off field management structure would have replaced him earlier.

Having said that Mick will do well at Cardiff with that squad and will take them to some success, but ultimately he will be replaced if enduring success is to be achieved.

To be fair to McCarthy he suffered for our off field woes in that in the playoff season, a couple of acquisitions may have seen us flop through the play-offs. And that’s a strategy/risk decision that Marcus is unfit to make. See Sheepshanks and Stewart.

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:22 - Jan 30 with 1235 viewsNthQldITFC

I think that whilst a revamped club infrastructure (CEO, recruitment, medical, etc. etc.) would obviously be a good thing, it doesn't necessarily follow that NO manager alone could fix the club in its current plight. The right person/persons coming in COULD inspire a complete turnaround in spite of the underlying problems, and that momentum COULD in turn allow the underlying problems to be fixed.

It's just so impossible to know what will happen with a new manager, it's beyond computation. Look at the widespread initial enthusiasm for Hurst which turned into an utter disaster - the opposite COULD happen this time. That keeps my hopes alive anyway.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:23 - Jan 30 with 1224 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:15 - Jan 30 by jas0999

Lambert goes a new manager comes in and somehow gets us promoted - then what? The squad would need significant investment to compete in the championship. ME failed to invest at the required levels when top a few years back. He won’t invest anything.

That's the thing while this evil owns the club. If by some miracle we get promoted we'll be in the dogfight immediately. 21st place in the Champ would be a target, what a time to be alive.
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:25 - Jan 30 with 1213 viewsunstableblue

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:22 - Jan 30 by NthQldITFC

I think that whilst a revamped club infrastructure (CEO, recruitment, medical, etc. etc.) would obviously be a good thing, it doesn't necessarily follow that NO manager alone could fix the club in its current plight. The right person/persons coming in COULD inspire a complete turnaround in spite of the underlying problems, and that momentum COULD in turn allow the underlying problems to be fixed.

It's just so impossible to know what will happen with a new manager, it's beyond computation. Look at the widespread initial enthusiasm for Hurst which turned into an utter disaster - the opposite COULD happen this time. That keeps my hopes alive anyway.

I do think the squad is good enough that a new manager bounce combined with a new system, could get the much needed confidence into the club and maybe sneak into play-offs.

But can we even attract a manager when Marcus and ONeill are the face of the club? What are they going to lay out as a coherent plan?

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:27 - Jan 30 with 1208 viewsjayessess

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:15 - Jan 30 by jas0999

I don't think we'd actually be in a terrible spot if a new manager came in, turned us around and got us promoted. We'd have a lot of players out of contract and a dramatic increase in revenue. The value of our young players would have gone up and some of the kids who aren't quite ready yet will be a bit further along.

Not a bad situation in which to build a Championship ready squad.

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:31 - Jan 30 with 1178 viewsSomethingBlue

A new manager can, of course, only do so much. To make a serious long-term recovery the following are required in most areas of the club, perhaps bar the academy: greater numbers; better & more ambitious brains; brighter imagination; much more energy; willingness to learn and adapt; can-do attitude; genuine football acumen. Those need investment that we're just not seeing.

But we do need to get out of L1 to give us at least the notional hope of getting back on our feet — whether or not that ends up being little more than a patch and mend in the long run. So we really need whoever can get us promoted, and need them right now.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 12:32]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:39 - Jan 30 with 1146 viewsjayessess

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:31 - Jan 30 by SomethingBlue

A new manager can, of course, only do so much. To make a serious long-term recovery the following are required in most areas of the club, perhaps bar the academy: greater numbers; better & more ambitious brains; brighter imagination; much more energy; willingness to learn and adapt; can-do attitude; genuine football acumen. Those need investment that we're just not seeing.

But we do need to get out of L1 to give us at least the notional hope of getting back on our feet — whether or not that ends up being little more than a patch and mend in the long run. So we really need whoever can get us promoted, and need them right now.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 12:32]

I can't see what other role in the club, apart from Evans, really gives scope to make any of those changes required for long-term recovery.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 12:39]

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:55 - Jan 30 with 1094 viewsBehind_Enemy_Lines

Hopefully we do get the Cowleys, my youngest recently tuned in to a webinar with Danny Cowley and was very impressed with him and in what he wants out of his team, how he sets the team up etc.
There is something seriously wrong with the club itself in how its being run,
Lack of knowledge, bad decisions etc who knows ? managers and budgets have changed but the only common denominator here since our downfall is the ownership or custodians of our club have been the same and it’s been a gradual down spiral since being taken over. Some might say well that one season where we nearly went up but we didn’t and although it was a magnificent achievement considering the budget he had (MM) it ended as it began with another stay in the championship. Even a broken clock is right twice a day does not mean we should not fix it.
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:59 - Jan 30 with 1083 viewsSomethingBlue

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 12:39 - Jan 30 by jayessess

I can't see what other role in the club, apart from Evans, really gives scope to make any of those changes required for long-term recovery.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 12:39]

Only he can facilitate it. But we need to get out of L1 either way. Championship mediocrity with Evans is better than L1 mediocrity with Evans. And Evans won't be here forever.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 13:01 - Jan 30 with 1078 viewsNthQldITFC

I would love to be looking at that particular span wondering with which method to traverse it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 13:14 - Jan 30 with 1047 viewscasanovacrow

I have a feeling anything a new manager achieves will be very temporary. I'd be surprised if it doesn't provide a false dawn or two though.
Never know, if a manager gets away from this annoying 433 it would protect our fullbacks and provide a striker with some support so could well spark the whole club back to life... Including the owner.
Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 13:15 - Jan 30 with 1045 viewsSwansea_Blue

Of course it won't. We're screwed as long as Evans is here. Even if he flukes out and we get a manager who does really well, chances are he'd be poached straight away by a bigger club and we'd be back to square one. There isn't the structure in place to allow us to be consistently decent. And if there isn't after 13+ years there's never going to be.

Death by a thousand cuts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 13:23 - Jan 30 with 1017 viewsSwansea_Blue

Does anyone think that a new manager alone will not fix this club? on 11:59 - Jan 30 by Mach_foreignBlue

'we do have a top 6 squad'

Oh yeah especially this defence that let in 3 goals at home to Swindon and make it so easy form the opposition in our box.

I think people massively over rate many of our players. None of them are good enough to dominate and turn games when we're not playing well as a team. And we don't play well as a team often. We haven't got a Murph or a Waghorn who could turn games on their own in the flash of an eye. The midfield show nice touches and pieces of individual skill occasionally, but struggle to move the ball between the lines. The defence lack composure on the ball, which doesn't suit our attempts to play out and also are prone to errors. And I see many players in this league performing as well as better than ours.

We do have a bit of reasonable shape off the ball, but struggle with the ball. We lack creativity, lack goals and always have a mistake in us (individual errors). It's not a good combination.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024