Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” 10:41 - Oct 2 with 5734 viewsSitfcB

“I mean come on, he’s a kid and he hasn’t been about it, he’s nowhere near ready.”

He did well in his cameo appearances towards the end of the season the other year, when Mick left, hasn’t had a sniff since. Klug chucked him in, for nothing games I know.

No one said we’ve got to ‘rely’ on him but would be an option on the bench for a couple of games and see how he does if he were to come on.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 10:42]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:20 - Oct 2 with 1741 viewsLankHenners

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 10:52 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

What do you know about man management? How is it appalling to tell a youngster he isn't ready yet?! If anything that surely fires him up to work harder?

It might do, and he has little choice but to keep plugging away, but given he was starting games in the Championship (granted they were in 'dead rubber' territory), was clearly backing himself to push on and make more first team appearances, came back from suffering a bad injury, all whilst consistently being picked for his country's youth teams, I really wouldn't blame him for feeling a bit put out by a suggestion he's 'nowhere near ready' for League 1 football when there's an obvious gap in the team at the moment.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:24 - Oct 2 with 1727 viewsSwansea_Blue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 10:46 - Oct 2 by rickw

So many youngsters aren't thought to be ready then get thrown in because of no choice and they take their chance. Folami is 21 and if he's nowhere near ready now I doubt he ever will be
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 10:47]

Yep. You see it time and time again. It might take 3 or 4 games to get up to speed, but injury has given plenty of people a chance.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:25 - Oct 2 with 1715 viewsHarry_Palmer

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:03 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

It's not about being 'nowhere near ready' to play league One Football, it was specifically in relation to the loan striker role in a 4-3-3. How many times have you seen him play that?!

I never said I had to be fair, simply that it was a slightly strange comment from Lambert, which it was.

I will say that when I have seen Folami play he has looked fairly decent with his back to goal and therefore might actually suit that role.

Lambert has also said that it will be difficult for us to bring somebody in and that we will more than likely get more injuries, so he might be left with no choice but to play Folami.
“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:35 - Oct 2 with 1683 viewsSitfcB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:14 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

hahahah, course you would. An experienced professional football manager who sees the player every day in training, or Joe, who certainly knows a lot about the youngsters, but is a builder from Ipswich.

As I say I doubt Lambert sees Folami every day.

Joe has probably seen more of him than Lambert.

COYB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:40 - Oct 2 with 1671 viewsclive_baker

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:35 - Oct 2 by SitfcB

As I say I doubt Lambert sees Folami every day.

Joe has probably seen more of him than Lambert.

I think people are reading a lot into it. Folami has never played 90 minutes of league football in mens football. The suggestion that he's the answer to our problems to lead the line in League 1 at Doncaster, Sunderland, Hull etc is premature to say the least. I think that's what Lambert is getting at when he says not relying on it. It might also be a hint to ME to sanction a loan deal.

The more pertinent question for me is why he's 21 and still not played any football. Obviously last season was cut short but he wasn't playing for Stevenage. He should've spent time over the past 2 seasons, when fit, playing football somewhere.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 11:42]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:40 - Oct 2 with 1668 viewsBrixtonBlue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:18 - Oct 2 by clive_baker

Questionable talking in such terms publicly about young players like that IMO. I don't disagree with the sentiment but PL doesn't have the most tactful way with words at times. He's right though, I think supporters forget how different it is playing senior football in L1 vs academy football. It's chalk & cheese. These young lads all need to go out on loan and start playing first team football somewhere if they're not going to play here. Folami, Ndaba, Morris when fit, Nydam, McGavin. Get them all out.

He was asked specifically if Folami could play that role. He replied it's too early in the player's development for that kind of responsibility. I'm not sure what's wrong with that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:42 - Oct 2 with 1661 viewsSitfcB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:15 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

You're just being silly now Sitters.

Why? I’d be surprised if Folami trains with the first team...

COYB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:42 - Oct 2 with 1654 viewsBrixtonBlue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:20 - Oct 2 by LankHenners

It might do, and he has little choice but to keep plugging away, but given he was starting games in the Championship (granted they were in 'dead rubber' territory), was clearly backing himself to push on and make more first team appearances, came back from suffering a bad injury, all whilst consistently being picked for his country's youth teams, I really wouldn't blame him for feeling a bit put out by a suggestion he's 'nowhere near ready' for League 1 football when there's an obvious gap in the team at the moment.

But Lambert didn't say he's nowhere near ready for League 1 football.
I wish people would read what's actually said!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:45 - Oct 2 with 1646 viewsBrixtonBlue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:40 - Oct 2 by clive_baker

I think people are reading a lot into it. Folami has never played 90 minutes of league football in mens football. The suggestion that he's the answer to our problems to lead the line in League 1 at Doncaster, Sunderland, Hull etc is premature to say the least. I think that's what Lambert is getting at when he says not relying on it. It might also be a hint to ME to sanction a loan deal.

The more pertinent question for me is why he's 21 and still not played any football. Obviously last season was cut short but he wasn't playing for Stevenage. He should've spent time over the past 2 seasons, when fit, playing football somewhere.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 11:42]

I'm glad to see someone else has a bit of common sense on here Clive!

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:46 - Oct 2 with 1640 viewsBrixtonBlue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:11 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

Nope. You are definitely wrong.

"Youngster Ben Folami would appear to be the next in line to come into the reckoning in Norwood’s absence but the Town manager says that’s too much responsibility to put on the young Australian’s shoulders at this point in his development.

“You can’t really on Ben Folami,” he said. “I mean come on, he’s a kid and he hasn’t been about it, he’s nowhere near ready.

“Ben hopefully will go out on loan. Aaron has obviously done really well since he’s been in, Freddie [Sears]’s best position for me is wide, I know he can do centre forward, but you can't go on kids. There’s no way. They haven’t even been round about it yet.”

He was specifically talking about that position.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 11:12]

Oi Sitters, you gonna own up to being wrong?!

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:50 - Oct 2 with 1630 viewsLankHenners

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:42 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

But Lambert didn't say he's nowhere near ready for League 1 football.
I wish people would read what's actually said!

How else is he meant to take it? I’m sorry but your interpretation that he meant ‘he can’t play as a lone striker’ is baffling. I broadly agree with the suggestion that he should be getting some football under his belt and if we had a full set of fit strikers it would make perfect sense to send him on loan. However, given the situation it doesn’t give a great message to say what Lambert’s saying.

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:03 - Oct 2 with 1612 viewsBrixtonBlue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:50 - Oct 2 by LankHenners

How else is he meant to take it? I’m sorry but your interpretation that he meant ‘he can’t play as a lone striker’ is baffling. I broadly agree with the suggestion that he should be getting some football under his belt and if we had a full set of fit strikers it would make perfect sense to send him on loan. However, given the situation it doesn’t give a great message to say what Lambert’s saying.

My interpretation is baffling?! What from reading the ACTUAL WORDS?!

I've not 'interpreted' anything, I've merely read what was actually said;

"Youngster Ben Folami would appear to be the next in line to come into the reckoning in Norwood’s absence but the Town manager says that’s too much responsibility to put on the young Australian’s shoulders at this point in his development.

“You can’t really on Ben Folami,” he said. “I mean come on, he’s a kid and he hasn’t been about it, he’s nowhere near ready.

“Ben hopefully will go out on loan. Aaron has obviously done really well since he’s been in, Freddie [Sears]’s best position for me is wide, I know he can do centre forward, but you can't go on kids. There’s no way. They haven’t even been round about it yet.”

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:03 - Oct 2 with 1607 viewsSitfcB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:46 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

I don’t think I am.

COYB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:05 - Oct 2 with 1601 viewsBrixtonBlue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:03 - Oct 2 by SitfcB

I don’t think I am.

You can't read then? The discussion was literally about that role, not about L1 football generally. I've quoted it and even bolded the pertinent bits for you.

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:09 - Oct 2 with 1591 viewsSitfcB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:05 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

You can't read then? The discussion was literally about that role, not about L1 football generally. I've quoted it and even bolded the pertinent bits for you.

I’ve read it a couple of times and still think he means in general as in can’t expect him to jump in and play League 1 football.

COYB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:09 - Oct 2 with 1579 viewsLankHenners

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:03 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

My interpretation is baffling?! What from reading the ACTUAL WORDS?!

I've not 'interpreted' anything, I've merely read what was actually said;

He’s saying he’s ‘nowhere near ready’ to play there in league 1. If it was just down to position then why’s he not even been on the bench?

Have you been hired by the club to do PR for them? On any and every issue you work yourself into a stew defending Lambert/the club.

Your opinion is irrelevant.... on 12:10 - Oct 2 with 1573 viewsBloots

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:09 - Oct 2 by SitfcB

I’ve read it a couple of times and still think he means in general as in can’t expect him to jump in and play League 1 football.

....Dolly is never wrong.

You should know that by now mate.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:14 - Oct 2 with 1567 viewsSitfcB

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:46 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

“It doesn’t matter what personnel I put in. I just think if they do the job I ask them to do then there’s not a problem.“

Lambert: Whatever System I Play I Know They Can Carry it Out 20th Sep 2019 12:02
Boss Paul Lambert has praised his squad’s versatility and their ability to play different systems having switched his formation soon after kick-off against the MK Dons on Tuesday. 3

He’s basically saying there anyone can play anywhere, within reason.

COYB

Your opinion is irrelevant.... on 12:17 - Oct 2 with 1555 viewsSwailsey

Your opinion is irrelevant.... on 12:10 - Oct 2 by Bloots

....Dolly is never wrong.

You should know that by now mate.

He is bloody determined though, I'll give him that! He clearly is the smartest person on here and he makes sure everyone knows it.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:18 - Oct 2 with 1555 viewsBrixtonBlue

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:09 - Oct 2 by SitfcB

Well Phil's interpreted it the same way as me (referring to the role "but the Town manager says that’s too much responsibility") and then Lambert himself says, "...I know he can do centre forward, but you can't go on kids..."

I think you're seeing what you want to see... so you can have a pop at Lambo.

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:19 - Oct 2 with 1550 viewsSwailsey

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:18 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

Well Phil's interpreted it the same way as me (referring to the role "but the Town manager says that’s too much responsibility") and then Lambert himself says, "...I know he can do centre forward, but you can't go on kids..."

I think you're seeing what you want to see... so you can have a pop at Lambo.

Or could it be that you're seeing what you want to see... so you can defend Lambo.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 12:21]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Arf! (n/t) on 12:20 - Oct 2 with 1545 viewsBloots

Your opinion is irrelevant.... on 12:17 - Oct 2 by Swailsey

He is bloody determined though, I'll give him that! He clearly is the smartest person on here and he makes sure everyone knows it.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:31 - Oct 2 with 1526 viewslongtimefan

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 11:06 - Oct 2 by SitfcB

It’s definitely meant as ‘no where near ready’ to play League 1 football.

Having seen what I think was his last first team appearance at Colchester in the EFL trophy last season, I think I’d agree with that sentiment, whether PL meant it or not
“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:33 - Oct 2 with 1522 viewshype313

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:31 - Oct 2 by longtimefan

Having seen what I think was his last first team appearance at Colchester in the EFL trophy last season, I think I’d agree with that sentiment, whether PL meant it or not

Spoiler - Opinion's don't matter on this thread, it's all about winning the Internet.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

“You can’t really rely on Ben Folami,” on 12:33 - Oct 2 with 1523 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I don’t really see an issue here? He’s just giving an opinion on someone who probably isn’t ready yet.

He needs a loan move desperately at 21, I also think he’s better as a wide forward or in a front 2. I’m not sure he could lead a line in League 1 yet.

Is there an issue with what he said? He just gave his opinion that he isn’t ready yet.

If ain’t all sunshine and rainbows said about a younger player these days it’s a crime, madness.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024