Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out 16:14 - Aug 21 with 4241 viewsgtsb1966

I must admit I've taken advantage of this a few times this month and the places have been packed. I wonder if any of the places involved will actually lower their prices a bit after this knowing that the people will come but only if the price is right.... especially the drinks and I don't just mean alcohol. I actually think the drinks prices put a lot of people off.
Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:23 - Aug 21 with 2431 viewsjeera

My local has put up their drink prices so now I simply don't go there much.

It's up to them, but for the sake of trying to squeeze just a few more pence out of me, despite my ongoing support over recent years, they have now lost pounds in takings.

Maybe they have carefully figured all this in and can afford to lose a few punters, but I doubt it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:31 - Aug 21 with 2411 viewsgtsb1966

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:23 - Aug 21 by jeera

My local has put up their drink prices so now I simply don't go there much.

It's up to them, but for the sake of trying to squeeze just a few more pence out of me, despite my ongoing support over recent years, they have now lost pounds in takings.

Maybe they have carefully figured all this in and can afford to lose a few punters, but I doubt it.

I'm not going to mention the pubs name but one in Sudbury charged me £15 for two gin and tonics. They wonder why people don't go out anymore.
Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:33 - Aug 21 with 2399 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:31 - Aug 21 by gtsb1966

I'm not going to mention the pubs name but one in Sudbury charged me £15 for two gin and tonics. They wonder why people don't go out anymore.

At that price I hope they had strippers performing on the stage.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:33 - Aug 21 with 2402 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep, had a good meal with the family down in Cornwall last week.

Have to order via the brewery's app, the waitress gives you a code which you type in when ordering.
And if you order each course / round separately, you get the up to £10 discount each time.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:35 - Aug 21 with 2386 viewsgtsb1966

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:33 - Aug 21 by GlasgowBlue

Wouldn't have mattered. I'd fainted by then.
Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:38 - Aug 21 with 2375 viewsjeera

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:33 - Aug 21 by GlasgowBlue

At that money I want to be served the drinks by the strippers.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:40 - Aug 21 with 2363 viewshype313

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:38 - Aug 21 by jeera

At that money I want to be served the drinks by the strippers.

I'd want a private dance!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:42 - Aug 21 with 2344 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I dont think that many pubs purposely rip people off. Most charge what they need to in order to make a profit.

Competition in the F&B sector is massive, so there arent many operators who could afford to over price.

Rents are high, and so are wage costs etc.

If they discount too much, they may have more custom but that would come at a loss.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:47 - Aug 21 with 2334 viewsgtsb1966

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:42 - Aug 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont think that many pubs purposely rip people off. Most charge what they need to in order to make a profit.

Competition in the F&B sector is massive, so there arent many operators who could afford to over price.

Rents are high, and so are wage costs etc.

If they discount too much, they may have more custom but that would come at a loss.

This is what I don't understand or know anything about. Why do Greene King for example, charge their tenants the rates they do and have beer prices high. If they own the establishment and provide the beer surely they could lower the prices and get more people in. Is that too simplistic.
Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:48 - Aug 21 with 2323 viewsBlueBadger

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:31 - Aug 21 by gtsb1966

The Black Boy or Prado?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:48 - Aug 21 with 2327 viewsclive_baker

Strada's like for likes are up 100% YoY, so it's obviously had the desired effect for a lot of businesses. I heard of a couple of restaurants that are going to keep it going themselves, but ultimately I hope it's just encouraged a lot of people to get back out and get the hospitality sector firing again. It's been a pretty rough few months for a lot of people and businesses but we can all participate in its recovery.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:52 - Aug 21 with 2306 viewsclive_baker

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:33 - Aug 21 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, had a good meal with the family down in Cornwall last week.

Have to order via the brewery's app, the waitress gives you a code which you type in when ordering.
And if you order each course / round separately, you get the up to £10 discount each time.

Wasn't you I spotted at the The Lost Gardens of Heligan in an ITFC face mask was it?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:56 - Aug 21 with 2284 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:47 - Aug 21 by gtsb1966

This is what I don't understand or know anything about. Why do Greene King for example, charge their tenants the rates they do and have beer prices high. If they own the establishment and provide the beer surely they could lower the prices and get more people in. Is that too simplistic.

As a property landlord they charge the rent they do because the demand has been there from tenants.

The price of beer as part of the tie is something that they could discount more, they tend to take advantage of having a monopoly over the tenant.

As long as tenants sign up to the terms, then GK will continue to charge what they do...

....that may well change now as tenants go bust and demand for the properties drops off.

Pubs have a limited capacity, so as long as they can operate to their optimum level they will charge what they can. Clearly in midweek they will discount to get people in.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:14 - Aug 21 with 2248 viewsITFC_Forever

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:52 - Aug 21 by clive_baker

Wasn't you I spotted at the The Lost Gardens of Heligan in an ITFC face mask was it?

Nope, not me, we were in and around Polzeath for most of the time, but we did venture to Boscastle, Newquay, Padstow, Wadebridge and Bodmin at times.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:16 - Aug 21 with 2244 viewsJ2BLUE

I haven't used it at all but it seems to have had a real impact which is great. I wasn't convinced when it was announced but it seems to be working.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:25 - Aug 21 with 2217 viewscatch74

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 16:56 - Aug 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

As a property landlord they charge the rent they do because the demand has been there from tenants.

The price of beer as part of the tie is something that they could discount more, they tend to take advantage of having a monopoly over the tenant.

As long as tenants sign up to the terms, then GK will continue to charge what they do...

....that may well change now as tenants go bust and demand for the properties drops off.

Pubs have a limited capacity, so as long as they can operate to their optimum level they will charge what they can. Clearly in midweek they will discount to get people in.

I’ve put on here before about the GK pub up the road. It’s now closed - it had a lovely garden, great location - it’s only downside being a GK tenancy.
The last landlords had never run a pub, got 3 weeks of training . They paid £155 standard lager barrel - 88 pints. I pay £85 for the same.
On entry they said the floor needed re-doing, gk - ‘no problem we’ll do it and just add a little bit to the price of your beer.’ etc
He was a professional cricketer - I saw over the course of the year a bubbly, enthusiastic couple turn into disillusioned alcoholics. They ploughed all their life savings into making a go of it - they ended up with nothing. I think in seven years I’ve been here the pub bankrupted 3 couples. They spent money improving GK’s asset.
The village now has no decent pub - I guess no one else green enough applied, so they sold it.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:28 - Aug 21 with 2199 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:25 - Aug 21 by catch74

I’ve put on here before about the GK pub up the road. It’s now closed - it had a lovely garden, great location - it’s only downside being a GK tenancy.
The last landlords had never run a pub, got 3 weeks of training . They paid £155 standard lager barrel - 88 pints. I pay £85 for the same.
On entry they said the floor needed re-doing, gk - ‘no problem we’ll do it and just add a little bit to the price of your beer.’ etc
He was a professional cricketer - I saw over the course of the year a bubbly, enthusiastic couple turn into disillusioned alcoholics. They ploughed all their life savings into making a go of it - they ended up with nothing. I think in seven years I’ve been here the pub bankrupted 3 couples. They spent money improving GK’s asset.
The village now has no decent pub - I guess no one else green enough applied, so they sold it.

Yep, that's the biggest issue. I'd guess about 80% of the UK's pubs belong to about 8 companies.

The big pubco's are sh1te, and that's the main issue. They hold some great buildings that could be amazing pubs if they were owned and run privately.

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:31 - Aug 21 with 2200 viewscatch74

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:28 - Aug 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yep, that's the biggest issue. I'd guess about 80% of the UK's pubs belong to about 8 companies.

The big pubco's are sh1te, and that's the main issue. They hold some great buildings that could be amazing pubs if they were owned and run privately.

Definitely - I think the big companies had a load of value wipes off their pubs, so they’ve had to cling on to them and service their borrowings with tied prices.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:34 - Aug 21 with 2174 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:31 - Aug 21 by catch74

Definitely - I think the big companies had a load of value wipes off their pubs, so they’ve had to cling on to them and service their borrowings with tied prices.

They don't invest properly and don't have the expertise.

I worked for a private pubco and we bought an old beefeater from Whitbread. Amazing building, in grounds and great local demographics. Whitbread couldn't make any money out of it.

We spent £2m on a refurb, and it took £50k per week in sales! (Ex Vat)

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:35 - Aug 21 with 2179 viewsfactual_blue

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:25 - Aug 21 by catch74

It's the mafia approach to business.

My cousin is so pleased she got out of a GK tenancy, even after the pub being in her family for over fifty years.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:45 - Aug 21 with 2134 viewswerringtonblue

Did dinner on Monday - got 3 x £10 offered as the discount. Asked if we didn't take it, did the staff get it - the waiter said it all got shared with all the staff..... so we didn't take the discount and paid the service charge too - happy for the low-paid kitchen and waiting staff to benefit a bit.

By the way, restaurant felt very Covid-safe and was perfectly organised
Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 18:00 - Aug 21 with 2105 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:28 - Aug 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Around 1990 the government made the big breweries sell a huge number of their pubs to their tenants. My old man bought the freehold on his that year.

The same thing needs to happen again.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 18:07]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 18:51 - Aug 21 with 2014 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 18:00 - Aug 21 by GlasgowBlue

Around 1990 the government made the big breweries sell a huge number of their pubs to their tenants. My old man bought the freehold on his that year.

The same thing needs to happen again.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 18:07]

100% agree.

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 18:57 - Aug 21 with 2007 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

I am not brave enough yet, or pubs. Maybe one day we can all go back to our own kind of normal.
Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 19:21 - Aug 21 with 1958 viewsm14_blue

Who has taken advantage of this 50% off eating out on 17:45 - Aug 21 by werringtonblue

Did dinner on Monday - got 3 x £10 offered as the discount. Asked if we didn't take it, did the staff get it - the waiter said it all got shared with all the staff..... so we didn't take the discount and paid the service charge too - happy for the low-paid kitchen and waiting staff to benefit a bit.

By the way, restaurant felt very Covid-safe and was perfectly organised

Huh?

So were they taking full payment and then still claiming the money from the government?

Or did you just give a £30 tip? It’s not the restaurant offering a discount, it’s all fully subsidised.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024