Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desperate times 09:28 - Apr 9 with 1938 viewstractorboy1978

Desperate times on 10:06 - Apr 9 with 1375 viewsBluefish

Another example of how lucky we are to have Marcus Evans

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Desperate times on 10:09 - Apr 9 with 1367 viewsHerbivore

Furlough the players. They can't do their job currently, they should already be furloughed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Desperate times on 10:15 - Apr 9 with 1354 viewsArnieM

.....”.or players accept cuts”..... This underlines all that is wrong in the game today. Just who the f **** do these people think they are? What makes them any different from the millions of people in this Country, or the World for that matter right now, who have lost everything. The professional footballer frankly disgusts me right now.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Desperate times on 10:18 - Apr 9 with 1336 viewsBluefish

Desperate times on 10:15 - Apr 9 by ArnieM

.....”.or players accept cuts”..... This underlines all that is wrong in the game today. Just who the f **** do these people think they are? What makes them any different from the millions of people in this Country, or the World for that matter right now, who have lost everything. The professional footballer frankly disgusts me right now.

Why?

Why should a league 1 or 2 player accept a pay cut? I don't anyone that has had a pay cut as a result of this, I know plenty of furloughed or unable to work SE that is affected but no one that has agreed a pay cut. As a chunk of a players wages is bonuses they presumably have all had a cut anyway

Desperate times on 10:18 - Apr 9 with 1333 viewsWD19

Point of order: The players signing the contracts that were put in front of them is not ‘all that is wrong with the game today.’
Desperate times on 10:22 - Apr 9 with 1327 viewsGuthrum

Millions have lost everything, but millions also have not, happily continuing to do their jobs - and get paid for it, in full - from home. The footballer looks at them and at his contract, then can reasonably ask why he is coming under pressure to cut his wages and give away his money, when many other's aren't.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Desperate times on 10:24 - Apr 9 with 1326 viewsitfcjoe

I think a lot of ITFc fans still see things through the prism of the Championship, and that may be why there is an acceptance by some as to how badly we are doing and how much further we can fall.

Some of the clubs in this league and the one below are basically big non-league clubs - the differences between us and them are vast.

The value of a stable owner like Evans should hit home for some

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Desperate times on 10:26 - Apr 9 with 1303 viewsBluefish

Desperate times on 10:24 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

I think a lot of ITFc fans still see things through the prism of the Championship, and that may be why there is an acceptance by some as to how badly we are doing and how much further we can fall.

Some of the clubs in this league and the one below are basically big non-league clubs - the differences between us and them are vast.

it won't

Login to get fewer ads

Desperate times on 10:37 - Apr 9 with 1277 viewsgiant_stow

Desperate times on 10:18 - Apr 9 by Bluefish

Why?

Why should a league 1 or 2 player accept a pay cut? I don't anyone that has had a pay cut as a result of this, I know plenty of furloughed or unable to work SE that is affected but no one that has agreed a pay cut. As a chunk of a players wages is bonuses they presumably have all had a cut anyway

If I were a player, id rather take a pay cut now than a job cut down the line.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Desperate times on 10:40 - Apr 9 with 1253 viewsjaykay

Desperate times on 10:09 - Apr 9 by Herbivore

Furlough the players. They can't do their job currently, they should already be furloughed.

or they could do a leeds united

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Desperate times on 10:41 - Apr 9 with 1262 viewsBluefish

Desperate times on 10:37 - Apr 9 by giant_stow

If I were a player, id rather take a pay cut now than a job cut down the line.

But it means nothing with a football club, they don't have potential jobs for life like the rest of us. They have a contract and then they are replace by someone younger and cheaper. They also have bills to pay, a footballer household income is potentially less than many of us on here. Often their partners can't build a career because they aren't settled in an area and a lower league footballer doesn't mean riches

Desperate times on 10:45 - Apr 9 with 1250 viewsgiant_stow

Desperate times on 10:41 - Apr 9 by Bluefish

But it means nothing with a football club, they don't have potential jobs for life like the rest of us. They have a contract and then they are replace by someone younger and cheaper. They also have bills to pay, a footballer household income is potentially less than many of us on here. Often their partners can't build a career because they aren't settled in an area and a lower league footballer doesn't mean riches

Yeah you're right, but I think the danger to football clubs is immediate - not hard to imagine clubs going bust soon. If that happens, old contracts will mean nothing new clubs will only pay what they can afford. If the prem starts to struggle or has to pay back gazillions, then that will stop the tickledown too. Really not hard to imagine the whole pack of cards tubbling and doing so soon.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Desperate times on 10:46 - Apr 9 with 1242 viewsitfcjoe

Desperate times on 10:45 - Apr 9 by giant_stow

Yeah you're right, but I think the danger to football clubs is immediate - not hard to imagine clubs going bust soon. If that happens, old contracts will mean nothing new clubs will only pay what they can afford. If the prem starts to struggle or has to pay back gazillions, then that will stop the tickledown too. Really not hard to imagine the whole pack of cards tubbling and doing so soon.

A couple of players on a couple of grand a week aren't going to be the reason for it going bust though.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Desperate times on 10:49 - Apr 9 with 1230 viewsgiant_stow

Desperate times on 10:46 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

A couple of players on a couple of grand a week aren't going to be the reason for it going bust though.

For the sake of argument, £100 grand x 2 per year going out - nothing coming in.

That £200 grand could be life and death for a small club with no benefactor.

Desperate times on 10:52 - Apr 9 with 1218 viewsJakeITFC

It's very likely that some of us on this board earn more in a year than some of these players - it seems weird to ask just the footballers to pitch in that this point (especially when they have such short careers).
Desperate times on 10:55 - Apr 9 with 1209 viewstractorboy1978

Desperate times on 10:24 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

Even Sunderland - Donald is not a wealthy man at all in football terms and has one foot out the door already.
Desperate times on 11:00 - Apr 9 with 1192 viewsgiant_stow

Desperate times on 10:52 - Apr 9 by JakeITFC

It's very likely that some of us on this board earn more in a year than some of these players - it seems weird to ask just the footballers to pitch in that this point (especially when they have such short careers).

Again fair on one hand, but maybe footballers are going to have to accept that their 'value' just collapsed.

Given we're looking at possible economic catastrophe, I wonder whether people will ever be up for or able to pay for sky to pay players again.

Desperate times on 11:02 - Apr 9 with 1184 viewsAtractorive

Desperate times on 10:22 - Apr 9 by Guthrum

Millions have lost everything, but millions also have not, happily continuing to do their jobs - and get paid for it, in full - from home. The footballer looks at them and at his contract, then can reasonably ask why he is coming under pressure to cut his wages and give away his money, when many other's aren't.

Surely the difference is that the people continuing to work at home and being paid in full are doing so because they are still able to do the job that they are paid to do. The argument would be that footballers aren't able to do the job they are paid to do from home?
Desperate times on 11:03 - Apr 9 with 1176 viewsBluefish

Desperate times on 11:02 - Apr 9 by Atractorive

Surely the difference is that the people continuing to work at home and being paid in full are doing so because they are still able to do the job that they are paid to do. The argument would be that footballers aren't able to do the job they are paid to do from home?

the vast majority of their job involves training and keeping in condition, they will definitely be expected to continue that

Desperate times on 11:12 - Apr 9 with 1117 viewsAtractorive

Desperate times on 11:03 - Apr 9 by Bluefish

the vast majority of their job involves training and keeping in condition, they will definitely be expected to continue that

hmmm. I see your point. But if you look at it as just another job that is redundant during a pandemic, I am sure you can find examples of other professions that have taken pay cuts but are expected to maintain the required skills, physical or otherwise, to able to do their job when things go back to normal?
Desperate times on 11:14 - Apr 9 with 1107 viewstextbackup

Desperate times on 10:06 - Apr 9 by Bluefish

Another example of how lucky we are to have Marcus Evans

how long does he keep paying them tho, considering his main income will be seriously hit by this

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Desperate times on 11:14 - Apr 9 with 1106 viewsBluefish

Desperate times on 11:12 - Apr 9 by Atractorive

hmmm. I see your point. But if you look at it as just another job that is redundant during a pandemic, I am sure you can find examples of other professions that have taken pay cuts but are expected to maintain the required skills, physical or otherwise, to able to do their job when things go back to normal?

but I haven't seen a single campaign about those professions and I haven't seen a single compliant when they have used furlough.

I think this is being viewed the wrong way round, no one is demanding footballers keep all of their money. We are just saying the campaigns and attacks to single them out is unfair

Desperate times on 11:16 - Apr 9 with 1097 viewsBluefish

Desperate times on 11:14 - Apr 9 by textbackup

how long does he keep paying them tho, considering his main income will be seriously hit by this

Longer than any other owner in our history probably could and longer than other owners in the league I suspect but presumably not forever

Desperate times on 11:28 - Apr 9 with 1055 viewsJakeITFC

Desperate times on 11:00 - Apr 9 by giant_stow

Again fair on one hand, but maybe footballers are going to have to accept that their 'value' just collapsed.

Given we're looking at possible economic catastrophe, I wonder whether people will ever be up for or able to pay for sky to pay players again.

But this is more about blokes on £50k at places like Morecambe rather than the millionaires in the Premier League.
Desperate times on 11:39 - Apr 9 with 1025 viewsnoggin

If players are furloughed, would they be entitled to move to another club, for free?

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024