Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? 19:03 - Jan 27 with 10692 viewsMullet

That's Millwall of all teams tearing away our best player for years, and seemingly for a fraction of what he could have cost Brum not that long ago.

Could the brass at the club really have asked for more? Seems the loan deal deadline was cock up, and that's played right into Millwall's hands. I'm not expecting mega money, but on top of all the TV money we're down this season, it's a nice little reminder how bad it'll get next season if we stay down.

Is it even worth getting upset about, when we can effectively just add it to the bill we've been racking up for over a season now?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 12:58 - Jan 28 with 638 viewsr2d2

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 20:52 - Jan 27 by HARRY10

If we could have afforded his wages thenwe would have had some leverage in the deal. We have lost around £7m (or more) due to lost tv money. To imagine that we could demand a fee for a player we most likely could not pay his wages is absurd. And I think the move to Millwall may have been one that allows him to stay living where he is settled. This is the reality of relegation.

That is all down to Evans. His time here has ruined this club. He has gotten richer over the last 10 years, whilst the club has gotten deeper in the sh! t. Ive no sympathy for that man.
How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 15:45 - Jan 28 with 591 viewsFreddy

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 10:08 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

From what I gather the initial fee is a fair way off what the deal was in the summer, the £500,000 being quoted by some Millwall sources sounds about right. Further cash from top-ups further along the line which could make it more lucrative but not the deal which was quoted in the summer.

Agree with your overall point about his wages and potentially being stuck with them, although I think there would have been other interested parties in the summer.

Think the short recall window clause was part of a protracted negotiation regarding the loan in the summer. I think it was a difficult deal to do and the two parties didn't entirely see eye to eye after the way the initial permanent deal broke down.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Wonder why they accepted 500k though, even with top ups seems low
How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 17:22 - Jan 28 with 572 viewsMullet

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 07:39 - Jan 28 by Steve_M

The big failing was making him our highest paid player rather than selling him in the Summer of 2018. The standard lack of a joined up approach since Evans has been at the club ends up costing him more.

That Summer's transfer business was the worst since 2001, hopefully it won;t end up hurting us for as long.

It seems a forlorn hope given it's hard to find a position 1-11 where we haven't taken a hit. Even those still here are older and more suited to Div 3 than the Championship.

The only caveat being Downes and Woolfy who have put themselves in the shop window, but imagine how well they'd progress playing a league up. Arguably we'd be selling them for decent Prem money this summer.

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 17:30 - Jan 28 with 563 viewsMullet

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 09:46 - Jan 28 by itfcjoe

He was gone in the summer, Lambert doesn't rate him for what he wants and his wages are out of kilter for the value he brings.

If we were to go up, his wage returns to the higher level it was at and we are stuck paying a load for a keeper the manager doesn't want.

The fee isn't great, but in the summer when it was quoted I don't think too many people were that bothered. the loan clause seems silly, and seems as though we haven't got similar with Norris which is even more baffling

Bart has probably been the best keeper I've watched for Town, ahead of Wrighty, but I'm not too bothered he has gone and think it has worked out about right - remember how dreadful he was last year, whatever the excuses he cost us points in key games and his form, under both managers, was partly responsible for our relegation

The only footballing reason is that Bart isn't very good with his feet, and Lambert has dallied with that aspect (and abandoned it) then signed Holy before replacing him with Norris, so even there the position is incoherent.

I'm not really sure how culpable he was vs. several others either during that season, (given we are being told by a bloke who thinks a 3 game keeper was better, that being a good keeper is par for the course in a bad team what can you measure in the worst since Jewell was here?) but the bullying he was subject too and similar dips during the loss of his father, and at Southampton suggests he is more susceptible to crashing confidence than most.

That all of that context doesn't irritate people is fairly telling I guess.

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 17:32 - Jan 28 with 560 viewsMullet

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 11:24 - Jan 28 by chicoazul

Pure speculation on my part but maybe his new contract didn't have a relegation clause on wages reduction? Mullers is right though it's a perfect example of how far we have fallen, seeing him go to bluddy Milwall of all places.

This whole thread is a good exercise in how desperate some are to keep up this façade of things be fine it seems. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how triggering it has been for them. Some of the stuff, even after Phil reveals it was £500k is baffling to me.

We were supposed to be demanding more weren't we?

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 17:35 - Jan 28 with 559 viewsjas0999

Sadly, the bottom line is Evans wants Barts very sizeable wages off the books.to do this he was probably happy to accept a lower fee.
How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 18:20 - Jan 28 with 537 viewsagentp

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 17:32 - Jan 28 by Mullet

This whole thread is a good exercise in how desperate some are to keep up this façade of things be fine it seems. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how triggering it has been for them. Some of the stuff, even after Phil reveals it was £500k is baffling to me.

We were supposed to be demanding more weren't we?

But we can't demand more! Football is the ultimate buyers market. If Milwall suddenly sent Bart back with no one else interested we would have an issue.

The thread is a good exercise of how some live in an ideal world. Have a cake and eat it with some hindsight.

I keep reading how we as ITFC are sh1t at transfer dealings - See McGoldrick - our own Bart saga. Waghorn wasn't a great deal for Rangers and why oh why didn't Chippenham agree a sell-on clause with Mings. Bart was worth what we got for him - whatever that was because the market decided so.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 18:26 - Jan 28 with 530 viewsMullet

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 18:20 - Jan 28 by agentp

But we can't demand more! Football is the ultimate buyers market. If Milwall suddenly sent Bart back with no one else interested we would have an issue.

The thread is a good exercise of how some live in an ideal world. Have a cake and eat it with some hindsight.

I keep reading how we as ITFC are sh1t at transfer dealings - See McGoldrick - our own Bart saga. Waghorn wasn't a great deal for Rangers and why oh why didn't Chippenham agree a sell-on clause with Mings. Bart was worth what we got for him - whatever that was because the market decided so.

That's just a load of selectivity no one has mentioned. So again, it doesn't hold up very well.

Who's to say we couldn't demand more? The deal has been protracted for months now, starting with the initial loan. You keep talking in absolutes as if there is no middle ground or alternatives. Let alone the prior context of when we started touting Bart around long before. £500k is pitiful because we are now a third tier team with even greater limitations on us.

That should enrage the bedsheets now cheering it on surely?

How can the supposition of "bedwetting" also be "ideal world" stuff? It's becoming Schroedinger's blub as suits, instead of a sensible discussion, as it was.

Login to get fewer ads

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 19:02 - Jan 28 with 510 viewsagentp

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 18:26 - Jan 28 by Mullet

That's just a load of selectivity no one has mentioned. So again, it doesn't hold up very well.

Who's to say we couldn't demand more? The deal has been protracted for months now, starting with the initial loan. You keep talking in absolutes as if there is no middle ground or alternatives. Let alone the prior context of when we started touting Bart around long before. £500k is pitiful because we are now a third tier team with even greater limitations on us.

That should enrage the bedsheets now cheering it on surely?

How can the supposition of "bedwetting" also be "ideal world" stuff? It's becoming Schroedinger's blub as suits, instead of a sensible discussion, as it was.

1) No it's not...

2) Of course, we can't. The market decides. Yes, we could have held out and taken the risk that it may all fell through and we being stuck with his wages.

3) I have no idea why you are referring to me about bedwetting. I have not previously mentioned bedwetting.

4) There is a middle ground with everything of course but football is a simple profession it it's quite easy to judge value because it is solely supply and demand unlike a talent agent who has to gamble and fall on his sword.

5) Explain to me why a fee is undisclosed. If you can do that then you understand the way these things work. If you can't you are missing the whole point.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 19:04 - Jan 28 with 508 viewsHerbivore

How badly have we been ripped off by Millwall then? on 12:44 - Jan 28 by judespiveyg

Ah yes, 16th, the top half of a 24 team division. That was incidentally the only year he deserved it. 17/18 Waghorn was easily our best player. 15/16 Bialkowski played less than half of our games.

You appear to be trying to counter facts with your opinion. Come back to me when you're dealing in facts.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 19:06]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024