Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Great Goalkeeper Mystery 11:37 - Jan 14 with 2589 viewsSouperJim

Lincoln away - Norris has a rush of blood that arguably costs us 3 points
Wycombe away - Norris has a rush of blood that arguably costs us 2 points
Exeter away (cup) - Holy has a decent game
Accrington home - Norris back in again

Given the way Lambert chopped and changed the keepers over in the league multiple times in November/December for no readily apparent reason, what is going on here? Is there something in the loan deal which is dictating Norris playing more than he deserves, as for me Holy is the more reliable keeper.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 10:37 - Jan 18 with 377 viewsWickets

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 18:53 - Jan 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Could be as simple as Lambert's decision to keep a consistent team coincided with Norris being the one who was playing.

No as it started earlier when we where doing pretty well , i think .
The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 10:57 - Jan 18 with 358 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 10:37 - Jan 18 by Wickets

No as it started earlier when we where doing pretty well , i think .

The criticism of Norris' mistakes was in the two games prior to the 3 where the team selection has been consistent aside from Jackson due to injury.

Before that Norris had played 4 consecutive games. In the previous part of the season with the rotation policy Holy had done that at least twice.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:19 - Jan 18 with 347 viewsChrisd

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:56 - Jan 14 by Kieran_Knows

I imagine Norris is costing us too much when sat on the bench. I read an article a few months ago that basically said the make of up loan deals is that if the club is playing the player, they don't pay for him, however if he's sat on the bench/not getting enough minutes (I presume which has been agreed beforehand), then the club that loans the player basically picks up his wage/and or other costs.

Obviously not every deal is like that, but would probably make sense in Norris' case as I imagine he is earning a decent wage at Wolves and if we're picking that up, it could be quite costly for us.

If that's true, then I'm not sure what message that sends out to Holy? The goalkeeper is such an import position on the pitch, look at Liverpool since they've signed Allison they look a completely different side defensively. It's not just about the saves they make, but the confidence they exude throughout the side- Shilton, Schmeichel, Seaman, Buffon the list could go on. I know fans have said that there isn't much in terms of ability between Norris and Holy, but perhaps it's where Holy provides added value that gets overlooked? With his presence, reading the game, confidence off his line and sometimes just the ability to kick that ball long and turn the opponent's defence these are all important factors in a keeper's weaponry. Holy's kicking goes an extra 20-25 yards further than Norris', he lands it in and around the penalty box which puts us straight on the front foot and pushes us as a unit higher up the pitch . I remember watching Holy take a cross around the penalty spot against Burton, then instantly throwing the ball towards the halfway line to put us on the attack, it's those little things you notice for me that's the difference between the two. Norris will pull off decent saves, like against Oxford on Tuesday night, but goalkeeping isn't just about doing that as all keepers have the ability to dive around. If it's simply about the money then send Norris back, it's a waste where we could be spending that on other areas. If it's about ability, then I'm really surprised Norris continues to get the game time ahead of our own player.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:42 - Jan 18 with 338 viewsclive_baker

Not much of a mystery IMO, I think we’ve just landed on the better of the 2 and the qualified staff that work with them day to day are best placed to make that call. All players, especially in L1 will make the occasional cock up. By and large both keepers have been reliable. Tranmere at home, Holy was responsible for their equaliser, poor keeping but because we went on to win it’s pretty quickly forgotten. Norris was as solid as a rock in awful conditions at Oxford and I wouldn’t deviate too much from that line up now, we need some consistency.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:58 - Jan 18 with 328 viewsLankHenners

Holy just got unlucky that he was rotated out then Lambert stopped rotating. He's looked better and more assured and whilst there's not a great deal of difference between the two I think he can feel hard done by, especially as he's the one with a permanent contract with the club.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:38 - Jan 18 with 308 viewsjas0999

Unless a considerably better option, we should play our player over a loan every time. Exceptions are the likes of Fraser, Lawrence and Civelli - who were better than the players we had. Norris is no better than Holy. Arguably worse.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024