Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden 13:07 - Jan 2 with 3479 viewsRadlett_blue

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/town-chief-on-prospect-of-january-sales-1-6447523
Not what we want to hear early in January. I would accept that it would be difficult to turn down a really silly offer, but right now I can't see anyone paying more than £2-3m for either player & that wouldn't be good business at this stage.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 14:26 - Jan 2 with 751 viewsBluefish

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 14:01 - Jan 2 by haynes_toe1

Anything over £7m for Downes would be snapped up. I half think £5m would likely get him.

I think 4 million would probably be about right and I would expect the player to be desperate to move on if someone is offering that

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 14:38 - Jan 2 with 746 viewsGooders7592

I wouldn't be surprised if we accepted an offer for either, or both, and them being loaned back for the rest of the season.
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 15:48 - Jan 2 with 715 viewsNo9

This is the issue fans of all lower division clubs have to fce isn't it?
Owners can't raise the gate fees to cover all costs becuase the punter doesn't have that sort of money.
Selling talent is the only way
Money (or of course lack of it) / PL / FA is going to kill english football
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 15:49 - Jan 2 with 713 viewskizaitfc

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:18 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

I think it's a fair enough point to make, but realistically the figures need to be astronomical to sign them in January as would be a dreadful move.

The summer will be the key with both of them, as both will be playing at a higher level next year - we just need to ensure it is with us!

Exactly surely the words of most people would be:

No not for sale unless a stupidly large offer comes in then we may have to consider it!

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 16:52 - Jan 2 with 684 viewsDurovigutum

Wolf we must keep, we only have one decent CB.

Downes will be a loss but we have options in midfield, even if they aren't as good.
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 17:07 - Jan 2 with 669 viewsRegencyBlue

Since when did good business and Evans appear in the same sentence!
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 17:54 - Jan 2 with 639 viewsPhilTWTD

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 15:49 - Jan 2 by kizaitfc

No not for sale unless a stupidly large offer comes in then we may have to consider it!

Almost exactly what Paul Lambert said when potential offers for FD and LW were put to him:

Lambert: No Pressure to Sell But Money Talks 6th Dec 2019 11:10
Blues boss Paul Lambert is not surprised that the likes of Fulham and QPR are watching Flynn Downes and Luke Woolfenden, as revealed by TWTD earlier in the week, but says there’s no pressure to sell in January, however, he admits that the goalposts might move if very significant offers were to be received. 11

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 18:42 - Jan 2 with 603 viewsWickets

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:44 - Jan 2 by Bluefish

We turned it down for Didz and that was a good offer, we also turned down Murphy bids. Not that either worked out well but that is often the way in football. We got a good offer for Mings

I often read this that we turned down a good offer for Didz but although i am far from certain i was told at the time that we were quite happy to sell him and in fact pulled him out of the league game at Derby to do just that but then we moved the goalposts several times trying to get more and that it was Leicester that pulled the plug ? Wonder if Phil can shed light on that ?
Login to get fewer ads

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 19:41 - Jan 2 with 574 viewsFreddy

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 14:38 - Jan 2 by Gooders7592

I wouldn't be surprised if we accepted an offer for either, or both, and them being loaned back for the rest of the season.

I think we'll accept offers for both too, Evans will get some of his cash back he stuck in again this season.
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 19:41 - Jan 2 with 577 viewsElderGrizzly

We get a guaranteed extra £7m+ if we go up. We won’t get that combined for those two right now, so it makes no sense to sell in January.

So of course, we will...
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 19:46 - Jan 2 with 573 viewsLeoMuff

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 14:01 - Jan 2 by haynes_toe1

Anything over £7m for Downes would be snapped up. I half think £5m would likely get him.

I would imagine anything over £3m would have them seriously thinking, if I had to choose we should probably cash in on Dozzell, as Woolf and Downes are nailed on starters.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 20:26 - Jan 2 with 549 viewstractorboy1978

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 15:49 - Jan 2 by kizaitfc

The question is "define stupidly large".

The value of neither is decreasing between now and the end of the season so I would rebuff all offers.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 20:28]
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 10:00 - Jan 3 with 473 viewsbraveblue

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:30 - Jan 2 by Darth_Koont

Relegation, plus overspending last season to try and keep us up, has probably created a 5-10 million pound hole over and above expected losses.

Unfortunately we might need to move one or both in order to get more breathing space, although I expect if we put off any sales until the Summer and promotion then both would be important to achieve that and would also be worth more - and certainly we could get a lot more even after that if they develop as Championship players.

But that whole scenario goes the other way if we're staying in League One and our need to sell just gets greater and greater.

What overspending last year? On transfers we made about £5m profit. Part of the reason we went down.
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 10:19 - Jan 3 with 460 viewschicoazul

Nothing new here. But I'd be amazed if both are still here next season one way or the other.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 10:20 - Jan 3 with 458 viewsDarth_Koont

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 10:00 - Jan 3 by braveblue

What overspending last year? On transfers we made about £5m profit. Part of the reason we went down.

The profit of 5 million covers the usual hole in the Championship. Then we splurged on additional players in January with Collins, Quaner, Judge and Keane no doubt on decent enough wages, I'm sure.

There's little doubt we went way over budget last season. And on a side note, Hurst's transfers have also lost the majority of their value.

The question now remains whether our League One season is another over-budget year as well.

The whole sorry mess has probably cost us an extra 10-15 million and a wasted couple of years — and that's only if we go straight back up again. For an owner like Evans who wants to minimize his losses and has been burned every single time he's given a manager extra money, it probably means we'll be a low-budget Championship side for the next few years as a best case scenario.

That's why getting it right with the resources we do have and building up the squad's value again is vital and probably where Lambert is showing the least success so far.

Pronouns: He/Him

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 11:58 - Jan 3 with 425 views66notout

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:36 - Jan 2 by ArnieM

I think the key point he is, Town don’t “ have” to sell. Again trying to look at the bigger picture, if we do decide to accept an offer, I think it will be at a level we consider appropriate and to which we ca; best use those funds to continue this Clubs rebuild, ( the bigger picture).

Evans hasn’t just given a 4 year deal to PL, not to support him in the very project he has brought him and his back room staff to Club for in the first place!

This club’s rebuild? When is that due to start?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024