Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't know if it just this board or wider culture 00:54 - Dec 27 with 2776 viewsCheltenham_Blue

but, irrespective of recent results, and they have been bad. I'm a little sad of the general lack of respect for a manager, who has done more to galvanise this club with its supporters than ANYONE involved with this club over the last 20 years.

Tactics aren't great, team selection isn't great, but the players are letting him down here. It's not all on him.

If he goes, he goes, but realistically, we're L1 now, who do you reckon we could attract? Is this squad good enough to stay up it we went up? No, but that's not necessarily Lamberts doing is it?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 00:56 - Dec 27 with 2414 viewsjeera

"who has done more to galvanise this club with its supporters than ANYONE involved with this club over the last 20 years."

Seriously?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 01:00 - Dec 27 with 2399 viewsreusersfreekicks

As the person in charge of the first team he needs to do 2 things:
1) Recruit well
2) Get the most out of the players.
At the moment the latter is a fail
I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 01:08 - Dec 27 with 2379 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 00:56 - Dec 27 by jeera

"who has done more to galvanise this club with its supporters than ANYONE involved with this club over the last 20 years."

Seriously?

Sorry? Can you name another? Roy Keane? Jewell? Mick? Burley?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 05:33 - Dec 27 with 2293 viewsIllinoisblue

We went down with barely a whimper. He’s been here a year and has no idea of his best team. We’ve won 8 of our last THIRTY NINE home games.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 05:34 - Dec 27 with 2289 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 01:08 - Dec 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

Galvanised is into the division below?

Worth reflecting that fans were buying Mick McCarthy an Xmas hamper 2 and a half years into his reign before things turned sour

Lamberts honeymoon period has been much shorter, and without anything close to the results
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 5:35]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 06:26 - Dec 27 with 2247 viewshomer_123

Off the pitch he's been great for the club.

On the pitch, we were relegated, the football is marginally better than under Hurst...given the fact many fans appeared comfortable accepting relegation for 'better' football we are now playing the same football as before but in League 1.

I completely respect Lambert...that isn't in question. Whilst we sit 2nd in the league we are really struggling and there is nothing wrong with questioning whether he is right for us on the pitch.

His press conference yesterday was somewhat surreal and bizarre to say the least.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 06:44 - Dec 27 with 2216 viewsBlueBadger

The only thing he's done to 'galvanise' supporters is say a few nice things in interviews and buy some drinks.
The improvement in match day experience at PR is largely self-generate by supporters, Blue Action in particular. Lest we forget, our last-but-one manager succeeded in 'galvanising' fans(to the point that they were buying him a Christmas hamper) by saving us from relegation and turning us into a top-half team on a shoestring budget.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 6:50]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 06:53 - Dec 27 with 2190 viewsBlueBadger

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 06:26 - Dec 27 by homer_123

Off the pitch he's been great for the club.

On the pitch, we were relegated, the football is marginally better than under Hurst...given the fact many fans appeared comfortable accepting relegation for 'better' football we are now playing the same football as before but in League 1.

I completely respect Lambert...that isn't in question. Whilst we sit 2nd in the league we are really struggling and there is nothing wrong with questioning whether he is right for us on the pitch.

His press conference yesterday was somewhat surreal and bizarre to say the least.

Seriously, off-pitch, what has he genuinely done for us though? Revamped the youth team? Suggested that owner look seriously as club structure? Or given a few nice interviews and bought some drinks?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 06:57 - Dec 27 with 2177 viewsBlueBadger

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 01:00 - Dec 27 by reusersfreekicks

As the person in charge of the first team he needs to do 2 things:
1) Recruit well
2) Get the most out of the players.
At the moment the latter is a fail

And the former is highly dubious.

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 07:20 - Dec 27 with 2139 viewshomer_123

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 06:53 - Dec 27 by BlueBadger

Seriously, off-pitch, what has he genuinely done for us though? Revamped the youth team? Suggested that owner look seriously as club structure? Or given a few nice interviews and bought some drinks?

I know you are a touch cynical at times Badge but on this one he has I.plemented changes behind the scenes which we dont see on match days...quite a bit at youth level, analysis and training.

More importantly he has got the Club to be closer to the supporters which is no mean feat....that would not have happened under Mick and it didn't under Hurst...yet Lambert takes us down and here we are with better attendance.

I value those things but clearly there are some issues on pitch to be resolved.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 07:27 - Dec 27 with 2122 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 07:20 - Dec 27 by homer_123

I know you are a touch cynical at times Badge but on this one he has I.plemented changes behind the scenes which we dont see on match days...quite a bit at youth level, analysis and training.

More importantly he has got the Club to be closer to the supporters which is no mean feat....that would not have happened under Mick and it didn't under Hurst...yet Lambert takes us down and here we are with better attendance.

I value those things but clearly there are some issues on pitch to be resolved.

To repeat a point that absolutely did happen under Mick though, and briefly under Hurst too in fact (although think that was probably more a case of being ‘Not McCarthy’ than anything he did)

On the latter some posters were so enthused they continued to harp on about how much better things were as we sat proudly at the foot of the table

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 07:29 - Dec 27 with 2116 viewsTractorWood

He's not really galvanised the club he's told people what they want hear post MM and Paul Hurst.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 07:44 - Dec 27 with 2088 viewsChrisd

I think there is an element of truth in what you have said Cheltenham Blue and this is thing that I can't grasp - the players. On here alone I that keep reading and hearing, 'with the squad we have' statement. If the squad is so much better than everyone else in this league we should be seeing flashes of that gulf in class in games? Problem is we rarely do and I think that indicates we are giving a little too much credit to the squad's capabilities. Although we do have a sprinkling of good players, perhaps the majority of the squad is largely L1 standard, but we are unwilling to accept that fact? After all, we did finish bottom and well adrift of Championship safety with many of the players that are still at the club.

Nevertheless, having said all that, PL is the one that trains, picks the team and embeds the tactics and for all the reasons the players simply are not delivering on the pitch having to operate under PL's kamikaze leadership can't be easy. Apart from a number of things achieved off the pitch, what has PL improved on it during his time here? Honestly, nothing. If anything I think we're going backwards at a rate of knots and now other sides have got into their stride we could be out of the top 6 by the time our match is finished at Wycombe on New Year's day, we're only 4 points away from 10th place. Personally, I think PL's time is nearly up here, but I do worry who we'd bring in as ME's track record of appointing managers is simply abysmal and he seems incapable of appointing someone that can really make a difference. Perhaps ME does his own managerial lottery in his office( in conjunction with PL's team selections) and picks a random name out of a hat and makes that appointment?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 08:29 - Dec 27 with 2005 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 01:08 - Dec 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

Think you’re a bit out with your timings, as 20 years includes the PO win and then European qualification season when the team spirit was fantastic. Royle did a better job too.

ME picks some right unstable characters though, so possibly Lambert just about scrapes in second behind MM.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 08:47 - Dec 27 with 1970 viewsKeaneish

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 06:53 - Dec 27 by BlueBadger

I’d argue he’s done a lot off the pitch. It’s short sighted not to remember the turmoil that existed before he arrive and the increase in attendances dropping down a league are testament to that turnaround. Revamping the training ground, building bridges with the fans, engaging the owner and giving the place a bit of life and belief again are worthy of note.

We can call him PRPaul all we like, at least he came in and showed some care for the football club as a whole right down to the paint and blue on the nets. I’m happy he’s taken a bit of pride and tried to redress our decay. We can beat him with a lot of things at the moment but he’s head and shoulders above previous recent regimes when it comes to helping the club get a bit of identity back; irony being we now don’t have it on the pitch!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 08:57 - Dec 27 with 1935 viewsGuthrum

If Lambert were a better tactician, he wouldn't be managing Ipswich. Same dilemma we have with hiring injury-prone or out of form/past it players. Not being seen as a club on the up, we can't attract players/managers who have it all, thus need to make do with what we can get.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 08:58 - Dec 27 with 1928 viewsHerbivore

I expect a manager to do things like develop a way of playing, show tactical nous, and actually produce decent performances and results. Saying nice things about the fans is pretty low down on my list of what I want from a manager.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 09:21 - Dec 27 with 1870 viewshaynes_toe1

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 08:58 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

I expect a manager to do things like develop a way of playing, show tactical nous, and actually produce decent performances and results. Saying nice things about the fans is pretty low down on my list of what I want from a manager.

All Lambert has actually done, is thrown some compliments in our fans direction, bought some drinks, thrown some more compliments, kicked off at carrow road (losing convincingly at the same time), thrown out some more compliments, and fans have lapped it up.

Fine, nothing wrong with that. But it shouldn't even be his job to get the fans on side - it's concerning its taken him to come out and constantly praise us for fans to feel like they should start going again - O'Neill or anyone at the club could have produced enough media exposure to do that, but didn't.
I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 09:27 - Dec 27 with 1855 viewspowinswitch

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 08:58 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Whilst it has been great to get the bond back between fans and club, Herbivore is absolutely correct in wanting a system, and decent performances. we have been awful for far too long now. Herbivore may not agree with me, but I would say 3 and a half seasons of dross, including this one thus far.
I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 09:41 - Dec 27 with 1815 viewsPinewoodblue

I can understand the OP’s frustration but he is missing the point.

Players pull together as a team but it is hard to pull together if you know there will be 3-4 or 5 changes each league game. Lambert has the largest squad in the division but he seems incapable of putting together a settled team.

Two facts you might consider. We have not won a home league game in three months. Nothing to do with number of games Oxford have played same number of home games and win 7 to our 3.

We had 60% possession yesterday and, not for the first time, not one shot on target yet made only one substitution and then not until last ten minutes.

Lambert is putting himself under a lot of pressure by his indecisiveness.

IMarcus Evans has a problem he needs to get us promoted and the risk of failure rises with every game. Cannot see him allowing Lambert to add to his squad. which would presumably make it even more difficult to work out what his best team is.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 09:43 - Dec 27 with 1805 viewsHARRY10

I'm sure PL has 'righted a few wrongs' and ser in place better methods of operating. But the concern there is how much is that a reflection on him, or us ?

Most, at the start ofthe season would have settled for us being in 2nd plavw ar Xmas - but not only picking up 10 points in the previous 10 games.. And not having to watch the football sink to such a level as the past couple of months have seen.

My own fear is that if we don't go up this season we could be stuck here for a while.

But I suspect ME will not want to cough up the money to pay off PL (and others) when we are still this close to the top. If he waits until we continuue to slide too far then it may well be too late.
I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 09:49 - Dec 27 with 1796 viewsPinewoodblue

Lambert cottoned on to the supporters needs but is in danger of overplaying his hand.

He needs to concentrate on his main task getting a settled team good enough to gain promotion. He also needs to have one eye on next season, the youngsters are losing out to players who, in an ideal world, would not be in the starting eleven in the Championship.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 09:50 - Dec 27 with 1782 viewsrfretwell

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 09:41 - Dec 27 by Pinewoodblue

I can understand the OP’s frustration but he is missing the point.

Players pull together as a team but it is hard to pull together if you know there will be 3-4 or 5 changes each league game. Lambert has the largest squad in the division but he seems incapable of putting together a settled team.

Two facts you might consider. We have not won a home league game in three months. Nothing to do with number of games Oxford have played same number of home games and win 7 to our 3.

We had 60% possession yesterday and, not for the first time, not one shot on target yet made only one substitution and then not until last ten minutes.

Lambert is putting himself under a lot of pressure by his indecisiveness.

IMarcus Evans has a problem he needs to get us promoted and the risk of failure rises with every game. Cannot see him allowing Lambert to add to his squad. which would presumably make it even more difficult to work out what his best team is.

The Wycombe home match would have been a win but for the refs calamitous reversal of their own goal.
I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 10:01 - Dec 27 with 1749 viewsSteve_M

The club was dying due to Evans' indifference and the end of McCarthy's time here. Lambert's engagement and encouragement of supporters was essential and well received.

The resurgence in community engagement over the last few years is also very necessary. That it starts with things as basic as giving tickets to school kids doesn't detract from the fact that the culture of the club needs to increase. Lee O'Neill has been a big factor here but Lambert has contributed as well.

All of that stuff counts for less than not winning football matches but it is essential. Getting all smug about that is like when people started mocking McCarthy's players because they weren't criminals and wastrels.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 11:46]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I don't know if it just this board or wider culture on 10:30 - Dec 27 with 1696 viewsPecker

It is results and performances that matter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024