Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. 18:46 - Nov 28 with 10803 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/50591261

2 billion trees by 2040.....

"Impossible, some say - that's more than a quarter of a million trees every day."

Edit:
Should have said "it's a bit of fun". Poking fun at both DA's lack of mental anything (does she dress herself?) and the fact that Labour don't seem to do anything unless it says 'billion' after it......
[Post edited 28 Nov 2019 19:14]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:46 - Nov 29 with 2719 viewseireblue

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:13 - Nov 29 by hampstead_blue

Planting trees is a brilliant idea and is one I love.

DA is someone who can't hide her lack of credibility for such a role as Home Secretary. She's not the brightest and if interviewed for such a role would not get close to the short list.

She can't even get her wig on properly leave alone add up simple numbers.....

Sorry but she's one the weakest MP's I've ever seen.

(whatabouterry begins).

You put the bit in brackets at the wrong end of you post.
Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:48 - Nov 29 with 2723 viewsZedRodgers

DA is someone who can't hide her lack of credibility for such a role as Home Secretary. She's not the brightest and if interviewed for such a role would not get close to the short list.

(whatabouterry begins).

Embarrassing post and thread.

Anonymous man on a football forum who can barely string a sentence together thinks Cambridge graduate who has a constituency majority of 35k+ and is subjected to more abuse than any other is "not the brightest" and a "weak MP".

this policy announcement is nothing to do with her anyway. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Anybody who tries to equate bad maths or stupidity to Diane Abbott is either racist or a misogynist. At best, you're a victim of the nastiest side of the British media.

The most remarkable thing is that you seem to be implying that only one person will be planting the trees and that's why it's not achievable.

Maybe it's you that ought to invest in some maths lessons.

No, not at the moment

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:52 - Nov 29 with 2694 viewsHerbivore

(whatabouterry begins).

Some serious dog whistling in this post.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:56 - Nov 29 with 2685 viewsStokieBlue

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 08:13 - Nov 29 by sparks

Growing trees is not a solution. The carbon gets released when they die or get burned...

That's is true in absolute terms but in practical terms it's not a great stance in my opinion.

However many trees live a long time and thus you are removing carbon from the atmosphere for a duration of time which lets us fix the root causes of the pollution.

When that carbon finally is released it should hopefully be offset by the fact much less carbon is produced. It's not a solution but it does buy times.

It's also nice to have more trees :).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:57 - Nov 29 with 2681 viewsWeWereZombies

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 08:18 - Nov 29 by DanTheMan

We could just not burn or chop them down.

I'd argue that people more intelligent than ourselves think this is at least viable, but has to be done correctly.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6448/76

Also pertinent is the type of tree you plant and maintain, if conifers are replaced by deciduous trees over much of a forest the carbon capture will improve, and as a by product soil acidity will be reduced and a greater biological diversity will be encouraged - but the growing cycle will be longer. Maybe be the best thing is for politicians to set out a framework that allows the land use and funds the forestry workers to be employed but leaves (sic) the top level of management to experts in the field who can be in post for a bit longer than five years.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:59 - Nov 29 with 2672 viewslongtimefan

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:48 - Nov 29 by ZedRodgers

Anonymous man on a football forum who can barely string a sentence together thinks Cambridge graduate who has a constituency majority of 35k+ and is subjected to more abuse than any other is "not the brightest" and a "weak MP".

this policy announcement is nothing to do with her anyway. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Anybody who tries to equate bad maths or stupidity to Diane Abbott is either racist or a misogynist. At best, you're a victim of the nastiest side of the British media.

The most remarkable thing is that you seem to be implying that only one person will be planting the trees and that's why it's not achievable.

That quote of a 1000 a day is somewhat different to one on the BBC website.

"It is not impossible, but it would take a very well-organised effort," said Tim Christophersen, who coordinates work on forests and climate change at the UN.
He told AFP that one volunteer could realistically plant about 100 trees a day.

1000 a day is (take an 8 hour day) averaging just over 2 a minute!
Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:00 - Nov 29 with 2670 viewsStokieBlue

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:57 - Nov 29 by WeWereZombies

Also pertinent is the type of tree you plant and maintain, if conifers are replaced by deciduous trees over much of a forest the carbon capture will improve, and as a by product soil acidity will be reduced and a greater biological diversity will be encouraged - but the growing cycle will be longer. Maybe be the best thing is for politicians to set out a framework that allows the land use and funds the forestry workers to be employed but leaves (sic) the top level of management to experts in the field who can be in post for a bit longer than five years.

Indeed - the variety of tree is very important.

Not really relevant for the UK but planting Giant Redwoods or Giant Sequioas would be effective as the grow quickly and sequester more carbon than other trees.

They are also amazing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:13 - Nov 29 with 2648 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:57 - Nov 29 by WeWereZombies

Indeed. Careful site selection, a good mix of healthy, disease resistant indigenous varieties of different age groups and subsequent good management. Would love to see this happening. Win win.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:15 - Nov 29 with 2644 viewslegally_blue

I agree that she is often unfairly targeted, but to state that “Anybody who tries to equate bad maths or stupidity to Diane Abbott is either racist or a misogynist” is a bit of a stretch. She has made a number of blunders and should be held to account for any gaffes/statements she makes (along with every other politician). One can be critical of Diane Abbott without being a racist or a misogynist.

Also, simply having attended Oxbridge doesn’t automatically mean someone is intelligent or their intellect cannot be questioned. Boris went to Oxford remember.......
Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:25 - Nov 29 with 2620 viewsHerbivore

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:15 - Nov 29 by legally_blue

I agree that she is often unfairly targeted, but to state that “Anybody who tries to equate bad maths or stupidity to Diane Abbott is either racist or a misogynist” is a bit of a stretch. She has made a number of blunders and should be held to account for any gaffes/statements she makes (along with every other politician). One can be critical of Diane Abbott without being a racist or a misogynist.

Also, simply having attended Oxbridge doesn’t automatically mean someone is intelligent or their intellect cannot be questioned. Boris went to Oxford remember.......

Compare the flak that Abbott still gets with the response to Nicky Morgan's shocking performance on GMB the other day. How many people were and are still referring to her as 'thick' and unfit for office? Matt Hancock put on a similarly showing performance on top of several other gaffes but I don't see people labelling him as thick and mocking his intelligence repeatedly over a sustained period. You're incredibly naive if you don't see the motivation behind the type and level of criticism levelled at Abbott.

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:26 - Nov 29 with 2622 viewshampstead_blue

"Cambridge graduate who has a constituency majority of 35k+ and is subjected to more abuse than any other is "not the brightest" and a "weak MP".

Cambridge? Hey, that doesn't mean anything.
I did my undergrad at Brighton and then onto CASS for my MSc. Did both as a single parent.
Does that top trump her?

"this policy announcement is nothing to do with her anyway. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Anybody who tries to equate bad maths or stupidity to Diane Abbott is either racist or a misogynist. At best, you're a victim of the nastiest side of the British media."

Hilarious.
My banter is about her lack of ability to count, or at least the numerous times on telly she's lost the plot when asked to add-up simple things. It has nothing to do with her gender or race.

"The most remarkable thing is that you seem to be implying that only one person will be planting the trees and that's why it's not achievable."
I didn't say that. Again, it's a bit of banter at the fact that Labour don't do 'normal' numbers. Everything has to be in the billions.

This is a coincidence but I'm trying to buy land to plant trees! Salix willow to be precise. There is a huge shortage and lots of low lying wetland along the A4 used for grazing. Have a bid in on a plot near Marlborough as we speak.
I'm all for the policy but am taking the mickey out of the one-upmanship wien it comes to scale.

You, and many others take too much to heart. Do you not understand banter and gentle mocking? That's the context. I even edited the OP to make that point. Relax.

Take is as a bit of fun. No-one needs to gets their hackles up. It's just a bit of fun.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:28 - Nov 29 with 2616 viewsHerbivore

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:26 - Nov 29 by hampstead_blue

"Cambridge graduate who has a constituency majority of 35k+ and is subjected to more abuse than any other is "not the brightest" and a "weak MP".

Cambridge? Hey, that doesn't mean anything.
I did my undergrad at Brighton and then onto CASS for my MSc. Did both as a single parent.
Does that top trump her?

"this policy announcement is nothing to do with her anyway. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Anybody who tries to equate bad maths or stupidity to Diane Abbott is either racist or a misogynist. At best, you're a victim of the nastiest side of the British media."

Hilarious.
My banter is about her lack of ability to count, or at least the numerous times on telly she's lost the plot when asked to add-up simple things. It has nothing to do with her gender or race.

"The most remarkable thing is that you seem to be implying that only one person will be planting the trees and that's why it's not achievable."
I didn't say that. Again, it's a bit of banter at the fact that Labour don't do 'normal' numbers. Everything has to be in the billions.

This is a coincidence but I'm trying to buy land to plant trees! Salix willow to be precise. There is a huge shortage and lots of low lying wetland along the A4 used for grazing. Have a bid in on a plot near Marlborough as we speak.
I'm all for the policy but am taking the mickey out of the one-upmanship wien it comes to scale.

You, and many others take too much to heart. Do you not understand banter and gentle mocking? That's the context. I even edited the OP to make that point. Relax.

Take is as a bit of fun. No-one needs to gets their hackles up. It's just a bit of fun.

Not only are you a liar, it turns out you're also quite unpleasant with it. The irony of you mocking anyone's intelligence as well.

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:38 - Nov 29 with 2595 viewslegally_blue

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:25 - Nov 29 by Herbivore

Compare the flak that Abbott still gets with the response to Nicky Morgan's shocking performance on GMB the other day. How many people were and are still referring to her as 'thick' and unfit for office? Matt Hancock put on a similarly showing performance on top of several other gaffes but I don't see people labelling him as thick and mocking his intelligence repeatedly over a sustained period. You're incredibly naive if you don't see the motivation behind the type and level of criticism levelled at Abbott.

As I mentioned in my post, I agree that she is often unfairly targeted and I would also agree that some of that criticism is no doubt amplified by racist/misogynistic undertones (which is abhorrent). But my point remains that she should not be immune from criticism and someone who justly criticises here should not automatically be labelled a racist/misogynist
Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:49 - Nov 29 with 2572 viewsHerbivore

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:38 - Nov 29 by legally_blue

As I mentioned in my post, I agree that she is often unfairly targeted and I would also agree that some of that criticism is no doubt amplified by racist/misogynistic undertones (which is abhorrent). But my point remains that she should not be immune from criticism and someone who justly criticises here should not automatically be labelled a racist/misogynist

What about someone who starts a thread mocking Diane Abbott over a policy she has nothing to do with? What are your views on that? Legit criticism is fine, but as far as I can see that's not what's going on in this thread. When was the last time she even made a genuine gaffe?

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:55 - Nov 29 with 2567 viewsBrixtonBlue

Boris himself has come out with more bumbling nonsense than Abbott and he's the PM!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:02 - Nov 29 with 2557 viewslegally_blue

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:49 - Nov 29 by Herbivore

What about someone who starts a thread mocking Diane Abbott over a policy she has nothing to do with? What are your views on that? Legit criticism is fine, but as far as I can see that's not what's going on in this thread. When was the last time she even made a genuine gaffe?

Yes, agreed, criticism of her for this is unwarranted (and sorry if you thought I was implying otherwise - I actually think big ideas like this are what is needed to address the climate problem). My issue was with the very broad assertion by Zed about critics being racist/misogynists.

She’s actually been kept out of the firing line (probably wisely) by Labour in this campaign. Same with Rees Mogg. Individuals who are often like Marmite to the public and likely to incite sensationalist headlines in the press
Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:05 - Nov 29 with 2555 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 10:59 - Nov 29 by longtimefan

That quote of a 1000 a day is somewhat different to one on the BBC website.

"It is not impossible, but it would take a very well-organised effort," said Tim Christophersen, who coordinates work on forests and climate change at the UN.
He told AFP that one volunteer could realistically plant about 100 trees a day.

1000 a day is (take an 8 hour day) averaging just over 2 a minute!

2 people working in tandem planting 2 yr old whips based on 1
planting & the other caning & placing rabbit guards would easily surpass 1000 a day. Perfect planning prevents piss poor performance dear boy.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:07 - Nov 29 with 2548 viewsZedRodgers

Exactly.

It sticks with Diane because she's a black woman.

No, not at the moment

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:10 - Nov 29 with 2540 viewslongtimefan

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:05 - Nov 29 by StochesStotasBlewe

2 people working in tandem planting 2 yr old whips based on 1
planting & the other caning & placing rabbit guards would easily surpass 1000 a day. Perfect planning prevents piss poor performance dear boy.

So half the rate suggested in the tweet then!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2019 12:10]
Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:18 - Nov 29 with 2522 viewsZedRodgers

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 11:38 - Nov 29 by legally_blue

Rational criticism of any politician is acceptable.

In this instance, Hampstead had a dig at her intelligence and appearance following a policy announcement that she has no direct involvement in. He's not referring anything she's said about the policy but is dehumanising her as the benchmark of stupidity. As Herbivore said, there have been a number of politicians who have given more erroneous figures than Diane in the time since her error.

What could Hampstead's motivation possibly be here? Have a think about it.

No, not at the moment

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:22 - Nov 29 with 2513 viewsZedRodgers

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:02 - Nov 29 by legally_blue

Yes, agreed, criticism of her for this is unwarranted (and sorry if you thought I was implying otherwise - I actually think big ideas like this are what is needed to address the climate problem). My issue was with the very broad assertion by Zed about critics being racist/misogynists.

She’s actually been kept out of the firing line (probably wisely) by Labour in this campaign. Same with Rees Mogg. Individuals who are often like Marmite to the public and likely to incite sensationalist headlines in the press

I didn't say all criticism of Abbott = racism/misogyny.

My point is that anyone using her as the benchmark of stupidity is likely a racist or misogynist.

No, not at the moment

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:44 - Nov 29 with 2497 viewswkj

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:22 - Nov 29 by ZedRodgers

I didn't say all criticism of Abbott = racism/misogyny.

My point is that anyone using her as the benchmark of stupidity is likely a racist or misogynist.

Hi Zed. Someone just PM'd me selling tickets to your leaving bash after December the 12th. I thought you should know someone is trying to bootleg on your good name.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:55 - Nov 29 with 2478 viewsfooters

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:44 - Nov 29 by wkj

Hi Zed. Someone just PM'd me selling tickets to your leaving bash after December the 12th. I thought you should know someone is trying to bootleg on your good name.

What would happen if Corbyn ceased to be the leader of the opposition? Would a number of posters on here have to leave too, since they post about precious little else? One to ponder, certainly.

At least Zed will always have his lovely hairy chest.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 13:01 - Nov 29 with 2472 viewswkj

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 12:55 - Nov 29 by footers

What would happen if Corbyn ceased to be the leader of the opposition? Would a number of posters on here have to leave too, since they post about precious little else? One to ponder, certainly.

At least Zed will always have his lovely hairy chest.

He most certainly does, and I fully look forward to sharing a yarn or two with him at Bristol Rovers, chest hair on full display with any luck.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 13:05 - Nov 29 with 2461 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Dianne Abbott's new policy announcement. on 08:22 - Nov 29 by hampstead_blue

most of the carbon, I think is locked back into the soil.

The Germans will bury a log in their garden to provide fertilizer for many years. (Not as much as a body, but it's illegal to do that.)

I assume you mean human body. Since when has it been illegal to bury your dead relatives in the garden?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024