Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing one up front 12:52 - Nov 26 with 1443 viewsKeaneish

There's been a mixed reaction to this. Some prefer two up top whereas some prefer the dynamism of one supported by two wider players. If we did opt for one up top moving forward and that one was understandably, Norwood, who do people think would be the best two supporting players adopting the wide roles? Assume everyone is fit.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

Playing one up front on 12:55 - Nov 26 with 1425 viewsFPL_Tractor

Sears and Judge. Perhaps Lankester.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Playing one up front on 12:56 - Nov 26 with 1416 viewsTractorCam

Anyone who prefers 1 upfront over Norwood-Jackson is insane.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Playing one up front on 12:57 - Nov 26 with 1417 viewsitfcjoe

Sears and Lankester - key is at least one of the 2 wide players needs to be a wide forward. You play 2 wingers there and no-one is getting up to support as not their natural game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Playing one up front on 13:01 - Nov 26 with 1391 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

One up front works and is a good formation, its just players aren't supporting him, which brings us to your question, Sears and Lankester and even Jackson should be players considered. Almost as inside forwards rather than wingers.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Playing one up front on 13:37 - Nov 26 with 1347 viewsKeaneish

Playing one up front on 12:57 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

Sears and Lankester - key is at least one of the 2 wide players needs to be a wide forward. You play 2 wingers there and no-one is getting up to support as not their natural game

Sears has to fit this equation but then again i think we'd all rather see him utilised in a front 2.
Judge would suit one role but big questions about the cover he'd provide tracking back.
Lankester never really used in this role with any regularity and i'd again question his tracking back.
Rowe effective and works hard but not at the level and goes missing too often.
Jackson would be a shoe horn in my opinion.
Edwards is a wide midfielder at best.

Sears - Norwood - Judge / Lankester?

Looks tasty but too many question marks imo.

Playing one up front on 13:39 - Nov 26 with 1342 viewshomer_123

Err - we'd agreed that Sears is wasted wide right or left.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Playing one up front on 13:42 - Nov 26 with 1336 viewsFPL_Tractor

Playing one up front on 13:39 - Nov 26 by homer_123

窶ヲ.in a 4-4-2. In this role he's playing a role more a kin to Salah, Mane, Sterling - although he's obviously better than those 3.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Playing one up front on 13:49 - Nov 26 with 1318 viewsKeaneish

Playing one up front on 13:01 - Nov 26 by TRUE_BLUE123

One up front works and is a good formation, its just players aren't supporting him, which brings us to your question, Sears and Lankester and even Jackson should be players considered. Almost as inside forwards rather than wingers.

This may make us a bit narrow though unless we can utilise both full backs well or collapse the midfield so it's a flatter structure. Huge benefit is it allows 3 in midfield though which i'm a fan of. Tonight's line-up is the most eagerly awaited starting 11 of PL's tenure for me.

Login to get fewer ads

Playing one up front on 14:17 - Nov 26 with 1285 viewsitfcjoe

Playing one up front on 13:39 - Nov 26 by homer_123

Nah, it is his best role

Playing one up front on 14:17 - Nov 26 with 1285 viewsitfcjoe

Playing one up front on 13:37 - Nov 26 by Keaneish

Sears has to fit this equation but then again i think we'd all rather see him utilised in a front 2.
Judge would suit one role but big questions about the cover he'd provide tracking back.
Lankester never really used in this role with any regularity and i'd again question his tracking back.
Rowe effective and works hard but not at the level and goes missing too often.
Jackson would be a shoe horn in my opinion.
Edwards is a wide midfielder at best.

Sears - Norwood - Judge / Lankester?

Looks tasty but too many question marks imo.

I think you can shoe horn jackson in there, as long as he knows how to play the role and does the right things he'll be an asset there.

Just need to make sure that those wide forwards have goals and natural instincts to get in the box

Playing one up front on 14:23 - Nov 26 with 1278 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's when you need a good old fashioned goal scoring number 10. But I'd go with Sears and Lancaster too. Although Jackson's running suits hims to a wider role (although blunting his goal threat).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Playing one up front on 14:26 - Nov 26 with 1275 viewsSteve_M

Playing one up front on 14:17 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

Nah, it is his best role

Yep, wide in a front three is perfect for him. He really isn't a good enough finisher to play up front in a two, certainly at Championship level.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Playing one up front on 14:27 - Nov 26 with 1271 viewsHerbivore

Why are people dropping Jackson?! He's got the most assists for us this season by a mile and is our joint leading goalscorer. He's also played as a wide forward quite a bit prior to joining us. He'd be a mile ahead of Judge for me in a wide forward role. Lankester won't be fit this season, Sears is a way off too. For now it'd be Jackson and one of Rowe/Edwards/Dobra with Sears replacing them when fit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Playing one up front on 15:56 - Nov 26 with 1233 viewsBigManBlue

I like this generally as a formation, but we don't really have the players for it. Sears and Jackson would be the best at supporting the forward but the fullbacks would probably get overrun pretty often.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Playing one up front on 15:58 - Nov 26 with 1225 viewsStokieBlue

Jackson has been our best striker but you decide to drop him.

It's all rather strange to me.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Playing one up front on 16:01 - Nov 26 with 1217 viewsKeaneish

Playing one up front on 15:56 - Nov 26 by BigManBlue

I like this generally as a formation, but we don't really have the players for it. Sears and Jackson would be the best at supporting the forward but the fullbacks would probably get overrun pretty often.

On Saturday when Rowe and Edwards tracked back and the ball was won back, we were immediately playing football in tight areas without any outlets higher up the pitch other than long balls in to Jackson, which invariably came back. It exposes the biggest issue with this system.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 17:19]

Playing one up front on 16:02 - Nov 26 with 1212 viewsBigManBlue

Playing one up front on 16:01 - Nov 26 by Keaneish

On Saturday when Rowe and Edwards tracked back and the ball was won back, we were immediately playing football in tight areas without any outlets higher up the pitch other than long balls in to Jackson, which invariably came back. It exposes the biggest issue with this system.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 17:19]

Good point - do you think it would work better with a big unit up top?

Playing one up front on 16:04 - Nov 26 with 1206 viewsHerbivore

Playing one up front on 15:56 - Nov 26 by BigManBlue

See, I think Sears and Jackson have the engine and the pace to offer enough support to the full backs, especially with an extra man in midfield also providing cover. I do think that long term a 4-3-3 or genuine, 2010 Germany style 4-2-3-1 is our best bet.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Playing one up front on 16:09 - Nov 26 with 1195 viewsBigManBlue

Playing one up front on 16:04 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

See, I think Sears and Jackson have the engine and the pace to offer enough support to the full backs, especially with an extra man in midfield also providing cover. I do think that long term a 4-3-3 or genuine, 2010 Germany style 4-2-3-1 is our best bet.

I'd love it if this was the case. I'm concerned that they wouldn't be good enough defensively (especially at a higher level) but I could see them giving opposition defences something serious to worry about.

Playing one up front on 16:24 - Nov 26 with 1165 viewsitfcjoe

Playing one up front on 16:04 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

I've set my ITFC team up to mimic Liverpool under Klopp, it works quite well when you look at the types of players in each team.

Full backs bomb on and better at attacking than defending

Skuse sits in front and can drop in as an anchor when full backs go forward

Downes and Nolan with serious energy and ability for this level (Henderson and Wijnauldum)

Wide forwards coming in from the sides to the score the goals and I use keane as the creative hub for them to play off

Obviously just a game, but our midfield and full back options set us up to be able to counter quickly, press well whilst still looking solid

Playing one up front on 16:51 - Nov 26 with 1123 viewslmfcblue

Norwood Jackson in a 2 is great but we窶况e had some dour performances with it as PL likes Downes and Skuse as a 2 behind them which gives no creativity.
1 central striker is not a negative thing if done correctly. Most top teams play it.
Playing one up front on 16:56 - Nov 26 with 1117 viewsstrikalite

Playing one up front on 16:24 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

I've set my ITFC team up to mimic Liverpool under Klopp, it works quite well when you look at the types of players in each team.

Full backs bomb on and better at attacking than defending

Skuse sits in front and can drop in as an anchor when full backs go forward

Downes and Nolan with serious energy and ability for this level (Henderson and Wijnauldum)

Wide forwards coming in from the sides to the score the goals and I use keane as the creative hub for them to play off

Obviously just a game, but our midfield and full back options set us up to be able to counter quickly, press well whilst still looking solid

If we had another KVY type at left wing back that would be ideal as it wouldn't be a problem playing Skuse and Downes or Dozz because they could then both hold, but we get the flying width on both sides...
Playing one up front on 17:21 - Nov 26 with 1093 viewsKeaneish

Playing one up front on 16:02 - Nov 26 by BigManBlue

Good point - do you think it would work better with a big unit up top?

For sure, we just don't have one. As combative as Norwood is and even though he played that role at Tranmere occasionally, id rather he wasn't isolated as his movement brings others into the game.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024