Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First they came for the travellers.... 09:43 - Nov 16 with 7128 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/13/priti-patel-demonisation-g
http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2019/11/15/first-they-came-for-the-travellers-p

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

First they came for the travellers.... on 12:54 - Nov 16 with 2146 viewsartsbossbeard

First they came for the travellers.... on 10:35 - Nov 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Priti Patel showing what an 'existential threats really looks like......!

You spelt the C word wrong.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

First they came for the travellers.... on 13:50 - Nov 16 with 2090 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

First they came for the travellers.... on 12:15 - Nov 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

The police have said there are enough existing powers without confisating homes.
Patel is successfully whipping up bigotry for political reasons.

The police do nothing!! That's the problem.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

First they came for the travellers.... on 13:58 - Nov 16 with 2078 viewsjeera

First they came for the travellers.... on 13:50 - Nov 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

The police do nothing!! That's the problem.

If you mean trespassing then the police have no powers without a court order to enforce.

If you mean attempts to retrieve stolen goods then it's probably a similar issue with warrants etc. Plus if there's 20 - 40 vehicles on site which do you go for without discriminating against those who are innocent?

I get the point Bankster tries to make on this subject and I know of other posters who feel strongly about prejudice against the travelling 'community'.

But once you've been hit yourself you tend to not feel so lovely about it all.

Around 40 reports of work vehicles broken into around this area - again - just a few weeks ago. People's vans damaged without a care, goods and equipments stolen.

Shops still being ram-raided etc.

These people's rights need protecting too.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2019 14:06]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:17 - Nov 16 with 2054 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First they came for the travellers.... on 12:16 - Nov 16 by J2BLUE

You're not allowed to ask things like. It's a black and white issue. No area of grey will be tolerated.

This policy goes too far but more needs to be done about the ones who take the piss.

Welcome back Lucan, you've been missed.

So are you happy for people's homes to be confiscated?

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:20 - Nov 16 with 2052 viewsWD19

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:17 - Nov 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Presumably a home situated on land belongs to the landowner, no?
First they came for the travellers.... on 14:26 - Nov 16 with 2052 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First they came for the travellers.... on 12:28 - Nov 16 by Illinoisblue

The quotes from “Briony” sound made up.

I know her and she is real....which makes you and the people replying to you a little bit foolish wouldn't you think?

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:30 - Nov 16 with 2038 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First they came for the travellers.... on 13:58 - Nov 16 by jeera

If you mean trespassing then the police have no powers without a court order to enforce.

If you mean attempts to retrieve stolen goods then it's probably a similar issue with warrants etc. Plus if there's 20 - 40 vehicles on site which do you go for without discriminating against those who are innocent?

I get the point Bankster tries to make on this subject and I know of other posters who feel strongly about prejudice against the travelling 'community'.

But once you've been hit yourself you tend to not feel so lovely about it all.

Around 40 reports of work vehicles broken into around this area - again - just a few weeks ago. People's vans damaged without a care, goods and equipments stolen.

Shops still being ram-raided etc.

These people's rights need protecting too.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2019 14:06]

I am not saying all travellers are angels....not by a long shot but do you think they did a vehicle each?

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:35 - Nov 16 with 2028 viewsJ2BLUE

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:17 - Nov 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Did you read my post? I said this policy goes too far and said it wasn't a black and white issue.

Not sure how you could have read that and come to that conclusion. I think Jeera's post is a good one. The sheer number of people with similar stories seems to suggest it's not prejudice and is based on reality. I'm sure it's nowhere near all of them and I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush but there is a element whose reputation is well deserved. This seems to be becoming another of those issues where people won't accept any debate at all.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:46 - Nov 16 with 2015 viewsjeera

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:30 - Nov 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

I am not saying all travellers are angels....not by a long shot but do you think they did a vehicle each?

No, you can't do that mate. I've already said, " Plus if there's 20 - 40 vehicles on site which do you go for without discriminating against those who are innocent?"

But to be so flippant to suggest that, "not all travellers are angels", doesn't begin to cover the misery and suffering those who are 'not angels' cause/have caused.

If you'd been followed home systematically every November and methodically targeted for your vehicle and stock, as I was, my family was, friends were, colleagues, for many years, having complete strangers tooled up scaring the hell out of you...

They would ruthlessly target market traders and without a care steal all they could.

We lost thousands of pounds worth, and as I posted before, a pal eventually lost his home and business. Another family had their nice home invaded with the grandma [94 years old] tied up whilst it was ransacked...

Tons and tons of these attacks went on for years and years.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2019 14:49]

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:57 - Nov 16 with 2001 viewsjaykay

First they came for the travellers.... on 11:36 - Nov 16 by hampstead_blue

Her constituency has had a long running problem with gypsies. They park their caravans on verges, leave mess, and commit petty crime.
Around Maldon they used to half block the lanes and leave an awful trail of destruction behind them.

They squat on land..JC would give them free use of other people's land no doubt.

Let's not even start on taxes.

The traditional gypsy is fine. This lot are not. They take from society and give nothing back.

Before we make Priti look like some despot, let's get a reasonable context.

so your reasonable context is to introduce jc into the debate

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:05 - Nov 16 with 2002 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:35 - Nov 16 by J2BLUE

Did you read my post? I said this policy goes too far and said it wasn't a black and white issue.

Not sure how you could have read that and come to that conclusion. I think Jeera's post is a good one. The sheer number of people with similar stories seems to suggest it's not prejudice and is based on reality. I'm sure it's nowhere near all of them and I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush but there is a element whose reputation is well deserved. This seems to be becoming another of those issues where people won't accept any debate at all.

Tbf I think I have acknowledged grey areas more than most of the Patel fans on this thread.

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:08 - Nov 16 with 1997 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:46 - Nov 16 by jeera

No, you can't do that mate. I've already said, " Plus if there's 20 - 40 vehicles on site which do you go for without discriminating against those who are innocent?"

But to be so flippant to suggest that, "not all travellers are angels", doesn't begin to cover the misery and suffering those who are 'not angels' cause/have caused.

If you'd been followed home systematically every November and methodically targeted for your vehicle and stock, as I was, my family was, friends were, colleagues, for many years, having complete strangers tooled up scaring the hell out of you...

They would ruthlessly target market traders and without a care steal all they could.

We lost thousands of pounds worth, and as I posted before, a pal eventually lost his home and business. Another family had their nice home invaded with the grandma [94 years old] tied up whilst it was ransacked...

Tons and tons of these attacks went on for years and years.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2019 14:49]

Fair enough.

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:34 - Nov 16 with 1986 viewsbrazil1982

I think gypsies do a very good of demonising themselves.
First they came for the travellers.... on 15:54 - Nov 16 with 1966 viewsjaykay

they are some very bad travellers as there good ones, but you have to ask why is now the tories have decided it time to act. oh i know there's a election coming up.
the government has had 10 years to do something . dale farm was 3 years ago ,that would have been a good time to tighten up the laws.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:58 - Nov 16 with 1962 viewsjeera

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:54 - Nov 16 by jaykay

they are some very bad travellers as there good ones, but you have to ask why is now the tories have decided it time to act. oh i know there's a election coming up.
the government has had 10 years to do something . dale farm was 3 years ago ,that would have been a good time to tighten up the laws.

Despite my post I still think I'd prefer to live next door to a traveller than a Tory.

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:59 - Nov 16 with 1959 viewsJ2BLUE

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:58 - Nov 16 by jeera

Despite my post I still think I'd prefer to live next door to a traveller than a Tory.

I'll withdraw my offer then

Truly impaired.

First they came for the travellers.... on 16:00 - Nov 16 with 1955 viewsjeera

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:59 - Nov 16 by J2BLUE

I'll withdraw my offer then

I'm relying on that there's hope for you yet.

First they came for the travellers.... on 16:33 - Nov 16 with 1922 viewsbrazil1982

First they came for the travellers.... on 15:58 - Nov 16 by jeera

What nonsense
First they came for the travellers.... on 17:06 - Nov 16 with 1911 viewsjeera

First they came for the travellers.... on 16:33 - Nov 16 by brazil1982

What nonsense

You've never encountered a joke before?

First they came for the travellers.... on 17:20 - Nov 16 with 1889 viewsIllinoisblue

First they came for the travellers.... on 14:26 - Nov 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

I know her and she is real....which makes you and the people replying to you a little bit foolish wouldn't you think?

Well, case closed if anonymous internet poster says so. As you were.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

First they came for the travellers.... on 18:35 - Nov 16 with 1847 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First they came for the travellers.... on 17:20 - Nov 16 by Illinoisblue

Well, case closed if anonymous internet poster says so. As you were.

Whatever you said.

First they came for the travellers.... on 18:45 - Nov 16 with 1837 viewsJ2BLUE

First they came for the travellers.... on 18:35 - Nov 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Whatever you said.

Does she attend your Sixth Form?

Truly impaired.

First they came for the travellers.... on 18:50 - Nov 16 with 1831 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

First they came for the travellers.... on 18:45 - Nov 16 by J2BLUE

Does she attend your Sixth Form?

Illinoisblue? How do you know she's a girl....fake news!

First they came for the travellers.... on 20:15 - Nov 16 with 1807 viewsGeoffSentence

Was it bad of me to chuckle at the picture of the gypsies that they started the article with.

It's a lovely romantic view of gypsies but totally unrepresentative of most travellers. Probably an image of a convoy of trucks towing fvcking great caravans is not quite the right image for this piece.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

First they came for the travellers.... on 20:50 - Nov 16 with 1776 viewsjeera

First they came for the travellers.... on 20:15 - Nov 16 by GeoffSentence

Was it bad of me to chuckle at the picture of the gypsies that they started the article with.

It's a lovely romantic view of gypsies but totally unrepresentative of most travellers. Probably an image of a convoy of trucks towing fvcking great caravans is not quite the right image for this piece.

It's a real mish-mash in that respect isn't it and seems to be grouping all sorts of different people, referring to Romanis and travellers together.

The piece then goes on to throw New Age types into the mix.

It's not helpful.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024