Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? 08:11 - Nov 6 with 11686 viewsitfcjoe

I know it has always been right leaning, but I'd have had it as a respectable paper with decent journalists etc, used to read parts of it at a time and was always fair.

It has literally turned into the Conservative Internal paper, the front page is an utter embarrassment. Is it just since Brexit that it has lost it's mind?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:32 - Nov 6 with 4352 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:23 - Nov 6 by BrightonBlue

Still has decent journalists. TBH the Sat and Sunday editions are better with the money, business supplements. Lets not kid ourselves though, nearly every paper is a mouthpiece for certain political parties/agendas. They always have been. The reader just needs to be able to see through that and form a balanced view. Ultimately people tend to read the papers that reaffirm their standpoint. Since brexit many just quote soundbites they have read.

There are degrees of it though, aren't there? I don't like all the false equivalence stuff that goes on. Which broadsheet do you think will carry a front page with an opinion piece from Corbyn and a headline comparing Johnson to Mussolini? It won't happen. It's not a remotely balanced or equal bias within the mainstream press in the UK.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 10:37]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:33 - Nov 6 with 4348 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:29 - Nov 6 by lowhouseblue

and which of those was on today's front page? since the thread is about today's front page and I was replying to your post which said "I’m surprised BJ is allowed to spread blatant lies on the front page" ?

the knee jerk labelling of those people disagree with as 'liars' is bringing political debate down.

Johnson is a proven liar though. And a comparison between Corbyn and Stalin isn't remotely credible. But you know all this, you've just turned into an embittered contrarian.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:34 - Nov 6 with 4345 viewspointofblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:32 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

There are degrees of it though, aren't there? I don't like all the false equivalence stuff that goes on. Which broadsheet do you think will carry a front page with an opinion piece from Corbyn and a headline comparing Johnson to Mussolini? It won't happen. It's not a remotely balanced or equal bias within the mainstream press in the UK.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 10:37]

I know all politicians can shoot themselves in the foot but Corbyn comparing himself to Mussolini will take it to a whole new level.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:37 - Nov 6 with 4331 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:34 - Nov 6 by pointofblue

I know all politicians can shoot themselves in the foot but Corbyn comparing himself to Mussolini will take it to a whole new level.

Whoops! Edited to correct the brain fart.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:37 - Nov 6 with 4332 viewsBrightonBlue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:31 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

You say nearly every paper is a mouthpiece, which to an extent is true - but this isn't even subtle about anything, it is literally a mouthpiece now for Boris and the Tories. It's ironic that they talk about Stalin when they effectively have an in house newspaper being billed as a broadsheet

Likewise the Guardian for Remain - hardly subtle either. BTW i say this as an impartial
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:40 - Nov 6 with 4324 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:37 - Nov 6 by BrightonBlue

Likewise the Guardian for Remain - hardly subtle either. BTW i say this as an impartial

That's exactly the false equivalence I was talking about. A paper taking an editorial stance in favour of remain or leave is fine, acting as a mouthpiece for a PM with a questionable relationship with the truth - which they know, what with the retractions they've had to publish on his behalf - is something quite different. That's not journalism, it's propaganda.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:48 - Nov 6 with 4303 viewsBrightonBlue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:40 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

That's exactly the false equivalence I was talking about. A paper taking an editorial stance in favour of remain or leave is fine, acting as a mouthpiece for a PM with a questionable relationship with the truth - which they know, what with the retractions they've had to publish on his behalf - is something quite different. That's not journalism, it's propaganda.

Slight hyperbole there.

Politics always has a questionable relationship with the truth. Everything gets unpicked, over scrutinised and is open to critique.

Paper printing retractions is hardly unusual and happens across the spectrum. If you read either the Observer or Telegraph the message and viewpoint can be deciphered as propaganda. It s really nothing new.
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:55 - Nov 6 with 4289 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:48 - Nov 6 by BrightonBlue

Slight hyperbole there.

Politics always has a questionable relationship with the truth. Everything gets unpicked, over scrutinised and is open to critique.

Paper printing retractions is hardly unusual and happens across the spectrum. If you read either the Observer or Telegraph the message and viewpoint can be deciphered as propaganda. It s really nothing new.

You've not addressed any of my points. All you've done is continue your false equivalence. I'll leave it there as you don't seem interested in having a debate.

Login to get fewer ads

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:10 - Nov 6 with 4271 viewslowhouseblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:33 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

Johnson is a proven liar though. And a comparison between Corbyn and Stalin isn't remotely credible. But you know all this, you've just turned into an embittered contrarian.

johnson has a style of writing which self consciously verges on satire at times. any one who has ever read one of his articles -rather than one line quotes from them - knows that. whipping up populism against the 'international elite', and blaming those individuals for society's ills, definitely warrants historical comparisons. johnson's comparison is undoubtedly over the top.

why does disagreeing with you make someone an 'embittered contrarian'? why not just someone who holds a different view from yours? just asking.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 11:14]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:21 - Nov 6 with 4246 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:10 - Nov 6 by lowhouseblue

johnson has a style of writing which self consciously verges on satire at times. any one who has ever read one of his articles -rather than one line quotes from them - knows that. whipping up populism against the 'international elite', and blaming those individuals for society's ills, definitely warrants historical comparisons. johnson's comparison is undoubtedly over the top.

why does disagreeing with you make someone an 'embittered contrarian'? why not just someone who holds a different view from yours? just asking.

You're defending Johnson's populist rhetoric that is known to be frequently littered with inaccuracies and untruths as just being his writing style and verging on satire? Blimey. I think you're doing that whole my enemy's enemy is my friend thing rather than using any critical faculties at this point.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:22 - Nov 6 with 4245 viewsBrixtonBlue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:10 - Nov 6 by lowhouseblue

Probably because you're defending Johnson and the Torygraph. Your hatred of Corbyn is so deep now you've actually become a Tory!

You're like Anakin Skywalker.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:25 - Nov 6 with 4236 viewsGlasgowBlue

Since 1855.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:25 - Nov 6 with 4237 viewsBrightonBlue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:55 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

You've not addressed any of my points. All you've done is continue your false equivalence. I'll leave it there as you don't seem interested in having a debate.

I've not addressed any of your points - in your opinion. Its just an opinion, don't get so angry and hammer the same message.
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:25 - Nov 6 with 4237 viewslowhouseblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:22 - Nov 6 by BrixtonBlue

Probably because you're defending Johnson and the Torygraph. Your hatred of Corbyn is so deep now you've actually become a Tory!

I've no idea what that reference means.

yes, anyone who disagrees with you is 'a tory'.

there are nursery school children who do less name calling than you lot.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:26 - Nov 6 with 4233 viewsSpruceMoose

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:22 - Nov 6 by BrixtonBlue

Boom.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:26 - Nov 6 with 4228 viewsitfcjoe

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:25 - Nov 6 by GlasgowBlue

Since 1855.

It's massively changed recently

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:26 - Nov 6 with 4228 viewslowhouseblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:21 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

You're defending Johnson's populist rhetoric that is known to be frequently littered with inaccuracies and untruths as just being his writing style and verging on satire? Blimey. I think you're doing that whole my enemy's enemy is my friend thing rather than using any critical faculties at this point.

again, back to the only point i have made on this thread - the fact that you disagree with something doesn't mean that it is a lie.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:33 - Nov 6 with 4197 viewsGlasgowBlue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:26 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

It's massively changed recently

It's been known as the Torygraph for as long as I can remember.

Re the comparisons with Stalin, pictures like this give Labour's opponents an open goal.

Could you find a picture anywhere of a Tory cabinet member giving a speech in front of a banner displaying the images of Hitler and Mussolini?

Iron Lion Zion

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:37 - Nov 6 with 4191 viewsBrixtonBlue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:25 - Nov 6 by lowhouseblue

I've no idea what that reference means.

yes, anyone who disagrees with you is 'a tory'.

there are nursery school children who do less name calling than you lot.

No, anyone who defends Boris and the Torygraph is very likely a Tory.

There are nursery school children who can tell the difference between what I said and what you're inferring.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:41 - Nov 6 with 4179 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:37 - Nov 6 by BrixtonBlue

No, anyone who defends Boris and the Torygraph is very likely a Tory.

There are nursery school children who can tell the difference between what I said and what you're inferring.

He's struggling to accept what he's become, bless him. He's become a kind of single issue CIL of late, like a Farage party but without the racism.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:43 - Nov 6 with 4170 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jo Swinson has stated that she will not put Corbyn in number 10 in the event of a hung Parliament. One of the reasons she has given is his lack of will to combat Labour's antisemitism issue. Is she a Tory? Is everyone who is opposed to Corbyn a Tory?

If so then 80% of Labour MP's are Tories.

Iron Lion Zion

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:50 - Nov 6 with 4155 viewsitfcjoe

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:43 - Nov 6 by GlasgowBlue

Jo Swinson has stated that she will not put Corbyn in number 10 in the event of a hung Parliament. One of the reasons she has given is his lack of will to combat Labour's antisemitism issue. Is she a Tory? Is everyone who is opposed to Corbyn a Tory?

If so then 80% of Labour MP's are Tories.

If Swinson said she'd back Corbyn all we'd hear from the Tories is 'A vote for the LDs is a vote for Corbyn'

The Tories have 2 policies at the moment - 'Get Brexit Done', ignoring that the trade agreement will take years and whilst the statement is broadly true that 'Brexit will be done' it is far from the end of it; and 'Yeah but Corbyn is worse'.

It's what they tried under May in 2017 and din't work then, with their lead in the polls they should be setting the agenda

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:54 - Nov 6 with 4147 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:50 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

If Swinson said she'd back Corbyn all we'd hear from the Tories is 'A vote for the LDs is a vote for Corbyn'

The Tories have 2 policies at the moment - 'Get Brexit Done', ignoring that the trade agreement will take years and whilst the statement is broadly true that 'Brexit will be done' it is far from the end of it; and 'Yeah but Corbyn is worse'.

It's what they tried under May in 2017 and din't work then, with their lead in the polls they should be setting the agenda

They have nothing to offer the country and they know it. There is no vision, no ideology. It's purely about clinging on to power and they try to use fear - of Corbyn, of more Brexit delay - as their means of keeping power. It has always been thus, the current bunch are just more naked and unashamed about it all.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:59 - Nov 6 with 4138 viewsGlasgowBlue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:50 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

What does the Tories only having tow policies have to do with me. I'm voting Lib Dem.

Are you suggesting that Swinson is only saying she wont support Crbyn as PM for political reasons and will change her mind in the event of a hung Parliament? Do you think she will betray people like Luciana Berger who was driven out of Labour by the racists? Do you think she will betray the British Jews who are voting Lib Dem in this election? I think she has principles and isn't so easily bought. I don't think she is somebody who will throw the British Jewish community under the bus because in order to stop Brexit.

Iron Lion Zion

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 12:03 - Nov 6 with 4132 viewspointofblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 11:59 - Nov 6 by GlasgowBlue

What does the Tories only having tow policies have to do with me. I'm voting Lib Dem.

Are you suggesting that Swinson is only saying she wont support Crbyn as PM for political reasons and will change her mind in the event of a hung Parliament? Do you think she will betray people like Luciana Berger who was driven out of Labour by the racists? Do you think she will betray the British Jews who are voting Lib Dem in this election? I think she has principles and isn't so easily bought. I don't think she is somebody who will throw the British Jewish community under the bus because in order to stop Brexit.

From memory Swinson is being very careful with her language - I think she’s said she will never join forces with Corbyn or Johnson rather than with Labour or the Conservatives, so the cost of Lib Dem support would be a change in leader for both parties. Most likely Labour as they’re closer politically to the Lib Dem’s than the Conservatives; at least at the moment they are.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024