Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As supporters is the song acceptable? 13:05 - Oct 21 with 12389 viewsChateauWines

As supporters is the song acceptable?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 17:53 - Oct 21 with 2784 viewsyesjohn99

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 17:48 - Oct 21 by SpruceMoose

You keep saying that, but you haven't said why.

I have. Couple of posts up.

How should our club captain and I assume friend of Toto’s be punished for having the lyrics stuck on to his phone?
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 17:56 - Oct 21 with 2778 viewsjeera

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 17:53 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

I have. Couple of posts up.

How should our club captain and I assume friend of Toto’s be punished for having the lyrics stuck on to his phone?

You seem to keep relying on the Toto and LC to justify your position.

They may be wrong for whatever reasons too.

It plays to racial stereotypes. It's not complicated.

Surely anything moving away from that nonsense is a good thing and anything that encourages it isn't.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 18:08 - Oct 21 with 2763 viewsBlueBadger

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 17:30 - Oct 21 by JakeITFC

The song is racist, there is no room for debate here.

I have posted at great length about this on here so I won’t again, but the dehumanisation and hyper-sexualisation of black men is an abuse borne in the times of slavery and this song is a continuation of that.

It is entirely possible that the people singing the song think didn’t/don’t think there is a problem with it, which is why it is important that they learn why it is.

What he said^

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 18:10 - Oct 21 with 2760 viewsyesjohn99

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 17:56 - Oct 21 by jeera

You seem to keep relying on the Toto and LC to justify your position.

They may be wrong for whatever reasons too.

It plays to racial stereotypes. It's not complicated.

Surely anything moving away from that nonsense is a good thing and anything that encourages it isn't.

Racism is bad. Very simple.

The pathetic song is not racist.

There are calls on here for the morons who sung it to be punished, I’m simply asking how the club captain should be punished as surely he is as bad as they are?
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 18:24 - Oct 21 with 2738 viewssparks

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 18:10 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

There are calls on here for the morons who sung it to be punished, I’m simply asking how the club captain should be punished as surely he is as bad as they are?

Of course its racist. Not maliciously but it plays on silly steretypes which is something a cuvilised society tries to avoid.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 18:31 - Oct 21 with 2715 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just read Jake's post. It says all that needs saying.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 18:53 - Oct 21 with 2698 views44_not_out

I have posted at great length about this on here so I won’t again, but the dehumanisation and hyper-sexualisation of black men is an abuse borne in the times of slavery and this song is a continuation of that.

It is entirely possible that the people singing the song think didn’t/don’t think there is a problem with it, which is why it is important that they learn why it is.

Agree
Those YouTube virgins who started it must see from this it is not acceptable and will now stop.
What I don’t get, is the fascination they must have for men’s genitalia. Is it envy?
Just stop singing it and we’ll all move on.
I keep hearing that..... on 19:07 - Oct 21 with 2676 viewsBloots

….the song in question is being started by the "Fanzone Virgins".

Just for clarity are these the virgins that go in the Fanzone before matches, or the virgins that run that YouTube channel?

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

I keep hearing that..... on 19:11 - Oct 21 with 2661 viewsfooters

I keep hearing that..... on 19:07 - Oct 21 by Bloots

Just for clarity are these the virgins that go in the Fanzone before matches, or the virgins that run that YouTube channel?

Ah so Richard Branson is involved now, eh? The plot thickens.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:23 - Oct 21 with 2636 viewsjeera

"I’m simply asking how the club captain should be punished as surely he is as bad as they are?"

But you're not. You're too busy insisting it isn't racist. It has racial connotations and that's not up for debate.

Should they be punished? As others have said too the people singing it are possibly a bit young/bit daft to have given it too much thought and maybe just need it pointing out to them why it's unacceptable. That's not gonna happen if people keep defending it or continue to insist it isn't racist. You're not helping.

Chambers isn;t employed for his brains clearly. Maybe he could learn a thing or too. Feck me, has the campaigning not reached his inner ears? He seems a decent chap and I'm sure if someone has a word it might sink in.

As for Toto himself; it was an over-used excuse throughout the 70s and 80s that *insert dark-skinned person here* didn't seem to mind the crap they received - because it was easier just to go along with it than make a fuss.

I keep hearing that..... on 19:31 - Oct 21 with 2633 viewsReuser_is_God

I keep hearing that..... on 19:07 - Oct 21 by Bloots

Virgins that run the YouTube channel.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:31 - Oct 21 with 2630 viewsyesjohn99

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:23 - Oct 21 by jeera

"I’m simply asking how the club captain should be punished as surely he is as bad as they are?"

But you're not. You're too busy insisting it isn't racist. It has racial connotations and that's not up for debate.

Should they be punished? As others have said too the people singing it are possibly a bit young/bit daft to have given it too much thought and maybe just need it pointing out to them why it's unacceptable. That's not gonna happen if people keep defending it or continue to insist it isn't racist. You're not helping.

Chambers isn;t employed for his brains clearly. Maybe he could learn a thing or too. Feck me, has the campaigning not reached his inner ears? He seems a decent chap and I'm sure if someone has a word it might sink in.

As for Toto himself; it was an over-used excuse throughout the 70s and 80s that *insert dark-skinned person here* didn't seem to mind the crap they received - because it was easier just to go along with it than make a fuss.

No matter what spin you put on it, the song isn’t racist.
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:36 - Oct 21 with 2623 viewsyesjohn99

Dear oh dear. Comparing slavery to a juvenile song about a mans todger is mountains out of non existent molehills to the extreme.
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:36 - Oct 21 with 2616 viewsJakeITFC

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:36 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

Dear oh dear. Comparing slavery to a juvenile song about a mans todger is mountains out of non existent molehills to the extreme.

Ok mate.
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:37 - Oct 21 with 2617 viewsfooters

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:31 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

racism
/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

Now please do explain why singing about a black man having a large penis isn't racist. Take your time.

Understood.... on 19:37 - Oct 21 with 2626 viewsBloots

I keep hearing that..... on 19:31 - Oct 21 by Reuser_is_God

Virgins that run the YouTube channel.

….well they are easily identifiable.

It'll be a good excuse to give them a dig.

Particularly the turd nerd with the glasses.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:44 - Oct 21 with 2593 viewsjeera

Spin? What spin?

Is that just another word you've heard of but don't understand?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:46 - Oct 21 with 2581 viewsjeera

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:36 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

If you didn't understand Jake's post then it's a waste of time engaging with you.

In the time you're wasting posting this rubbish you could be reading a book and learning things.

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:48 - Oct 21 with 2578 viewsyesjohn99

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:37 - Oct 21 by footers

racism
/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

Now please do explain why singing about a black man having a large penis isn't racist. Take your time.

The size of a mans party piece doesn’t make him inferior or superior to anyone.
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:49 - Oct 21 with 2583 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Kick It Out don’t agree with you.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:55 - Oct 21 with 2568 viewsfooters

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:48 - Oct 21 by yesjohn99

The size of a mans party piece doesn’t make him inferior or superior to anyone.

You'd probably know all about that.

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 19:56 - Oct 21 with 2560 viewsChateauWines

As I have said on other post, I find it hard to believe our captain has a sticker on his phone endorsing the song but people on here are insisting they have seen it. If this is actually the case I shall raise it when i speak to the Club Secretary tomorrow following todays exchange of emails with the club.

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 20:02 - Oct 21 with 2555 viewsbraveblue

Like others I have not heard it. Please advise the words so that I can form an opinion. Seems strange that some think it is obviously racist and some don’t . If in doubt then don’t sing it I would say. But I would like to know what it is.
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 20:05 - Oct 21 with 2543 viewsPJH

As supporters is the song acceptable? on 20:02 - Oct 21 by braveblue

Like others I have not heard it. Please advise the words so that I can form an opinion. Seems strange that some think it is obviously racist and some don’t . If in doubt then don’t sing it I would say. But I would like to know what it is.

I do not know the song either but get an impression what it is about from this and other threads.

Assume it is not sung about any white men so that alone makes it racist.
As supporters is the song acceptable? on 20:06 - Oct 21 with 2539 viewsSwailsey

You’re definitely a troll now, noted.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024