Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great Yarmouth 10:46 - Oct 8 with 13917 viewsitfcjoe

Been away for the weekend in a Haven park up near Yarmouth, and as my boy got a bike for his birthday we elected to across to the town yesterday so he could ride it around as more space there etc

It's sad how run down the whole town is there, admittedly going to a seaside town out of season on a fairly miserable day is never going to show it in a flattering light, it is just totally run down from top to bottom.

Everything is dated, everything is cheap and tacky and everyone seems down on their luck, admittedly again this was a Monday so most of those who do work would be at work.

These are Brexit towns, but putting that aside, is there anything that can be done to turn these sorts of town's around, I'd guess they are just too far gone.

Regardless, I had an enjoyable day, I do like a seaside town, and my over arching emotion was sadness at a town which used to be booming back in the summers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Great Yarmouth on 12:05 - Oct 8 with 2014 viewsitfcjoe

Great Yarmouth on 12:03 - Oct 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Spot on

A shame more didn't vote against the Tories in both 2015 and 2017 who had inflicted austerity on people - interesting to know why the EU Referendum became the big issue as opposed to the GEs which actually would have changed more.

Not asking you, btw, merely thinking out loud

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Great Yarmouth on 12:34 - Oct 8 with 1986 viewshomer_123

Great Yarmouth on 12:05 - Oct 8 by itfcjoe

A shame more didn't vote against the Tories in both 2015 and 2017 who had inflicted austerity on people - interesting to know why the EU Referendum became the big issue as opposed to the GEs which actually would have changed more.

In part, I suspect, it comes down to two things.

Wasted vote : in effect in areas such as Tendring (Walton on Naze would be a good comparison to GY) - it's a Conservative stronghold (generally) and therefore voting for Labour, Lib dems etc. does nothing to change the landscape.

Brexit felt bigger than a GE : positioned as once in a lifetime, opportunity to shape the future of the UK etc etc

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Great Yarmouth on 12:36 - Oct 8 with 1979 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Great Yarmouth on 12:05 - Oct 8 by itfcjoe

Problems are much wider than austerity but it’s a fair point. Without being close enough to the overall feeling in the Town, is there perhaps a feeling of being let down by Labour through the 90’s and early 2000’s, plus the anti-European sentiment. As looks like elections were historically very close prior to that and the Conservative vote having surged ahead since?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Great Yarmouth on 12:45 - Oct 8 with 1960 viewsjaykay

trouble is those in yarmouth blame the e.u. not the tory government. good job they got some of this

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/norfolk-and-suffolk-s-european-union-billions

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Great Yarmouth on 12:55 - Oct 8 with 1939 viewsgiant_stow

Great Yarmouth on 11:10 - Oct 8 by Bent_double

Where to start...

OK, GY in October (through to March) is never going to be the best place, unless you want nice quiet walks along the beach. As ever, July, August and September were very good months, very busy with lots of visitors coming into the town.

The council doesn't seem to do much to encourage out-of-season tourism, which is a shame because with more to see and do during the quieter winter months GY would attract more investment and more visitors.

There have been recent improvements, such as the £2.7m spent on restoring the Victorian Waterways and gardens, and there are plans to replace the ugly 70's monstrosity of a leisure centre on the seafront with a new £25m complex, plus there will be a new river crossing in a few years which may encourage more businesses to relocate here. Money is moving out of Norwich too, in anticipation of property prices rising over the next few years, bargains to be had here!

It's what it is though, not too dissimilar to other faded British seaside resorts that have been better days and now seem populated with every nationality under the sun who spend their days trying to relieve visitors of their cash!

I always say to guests use GY as a base for a few days, visit the Broads, Norwich, etc - there are some great family attractions in the surrounding villages, if the weather's good it's a great place for a few days on the beach.....but not much more!

I stay in Winteton a lot, so know Great Yarmouth a bit - as you say, its not all bad. If you have a young kid, there's tons to do. Its also a regional (small sense) shopping centre and still has a lot of handsome old buildings. Back in the summer, it was a nice place to spend a bit of time.

Its a shame all the shopping seems to be on the outskirts, leaving the ceentre in trouble, but I guess that's normal these days.

How's the newish port going? Getting much traffic? Certainly looks the part.

I wish it well.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Great Yarmouth on 12:57 - Oct 8 with 1938 viewsgiant_stow

Great Yarmouth on 11:19 - Oct 8 by itfcjoe

I stayed up that way a few years back at Waveney River Centre and this time was at Wild Duck site in Belton and have had 2 really good breaks - doing as you say in using them as a base.

Had a day in GY last time, and this time was only Saturday to Monday, but spent yesterday there, and actually headed in for a few hours on Sunday to go the Sealife centre which is good and about the only activity we could think off in the rain bar swimming which we did in the afternoon on the camp!

I'd go there again, i think i drove past the agrdens and they looked nice and similar to what has happened in Felixstowe, Yarmouth is absolutely massive though with regards to the front etc, and will take serious investment to bring round.

Maybe in 50 years with more and more people working from home, being by the sea will be more attractive if not needing to commute from these places for a good job

as a boy, I kept a dinghy at the Waveney! Changed hugely, but still lovely.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Great Yarmouth on 13:02 - Oct 8 with 1925 viewsChurchman

Great Yarmouth on 12:55 - Oct 8 by giant_stow

I stay in Winteton a lot, so know Great Yarmouth a bit - as you say, its not all bad. If you have a young kid, there's tons to do. Its also a regional (small sense) shopping centre and still has a lot of handsome old buildings. Back in the summer, it was a nice place to spend a bit of time.

Its a shame all the shopping seems to be on the outskirts, leaving the ceentre in trouble, but I guess that's normal these days.

How's the newish port going? Getting much traffic? Certainly looks the part.

I wish it well.

The old buildings are actually real survivors. The town was quite heavily bombed during the war and was interestingly the first place to bombed by Zeppelin in WW1, I believe. Add in slum clearance (my mum’s family were moved from the ‘Rows’ to an area near Caister called Newtown in the 20s) and the planners efforts after WW2 and it’s amazing any of its history is left!
Great Yarmouth on 13:10 - Oct 8 with 1916 viewsgiant_stow

Great Yarmouth on 13:02 - Oct 8 by Churchman

The old buildings are actually real survivors. The town was quite heavily bombed during the war and was interestingly the first place to bombed by Zeppelin in WW1, I believe. Add in slum clearance (my mum’s family were moved from the ‘Rows’ to an area near Caister called Newtown in the 20s) and the planners efforts after WW2 and it’s amazing any of its history is left!

Thats fascinating stuff, but where's new town in Caister? Is that between the high street and sea or one end?

There are some cracking old buildings on the river and just behind the seafront in Yarmouth - real gems - glad they made it!

Login to get fewer ads

Great Yarmouth on 13:21 - Oct 8 with 1908 viewsartsbossbeard

Great Yarmouth on 10:51 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

Killed by the cheap package holiday which is now being killed by cheap flights and hotels booked separately.

Without a USP it's hard to see how somewhere like Yarmouth could win back large amounts of tourists. However, I do think there is hope for places like Yarmouth - there is scope for building and maintenance of turbines which are reasonably skilled jobs which could bring money into the community. When money comes, infrastructure tends to follow.

SB

An additional caveat to the overseas holiday deals (inc flights & hotels booked separately) is that the AI deals are killing off the local trade too.

Getting back to UK matters, I deal with a couple of offshore wind farm companies who are doing their bit to invest in the locality - apprenticeships, working with the local college and creating their own "centre of excellence" but these are few and far between.

They don't really have to pay their staff a massive wage either..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Great Yarmouth on 13:23 - Oct 8 with 1902 viewsChurchman

Great Yarmouth on 13:10 - Oct 8 by giant_stow

Thats fascinating stuff, but where's new town in Caister? Is that between the high street and sea or one end?

There are some cracking old buildings on the river and just behind the seafront in Yarmouth - real gems - glad they made it!

Sorry, ‘Newtown’ is an area of Yarmouth next to the Racecourse, Yarmouth side and down to the dunes. It may not be known as that these days but its the last bit of Yarmouth before you get to Caister. All the roads have WW1 naval commanders names around there and the now closed pub on the sea front was called The Iron Duke (Jellicoe’s flagship at Jutland). It’s basically a mix of 20s council houses and some better ones and used to have a great fish and chip shop, all served in newspaper!
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 13:35]
Great Yarmouth on 13:28 - Oct 8 with 1890 viewswkj

Great Yarmouth on 11:33 - Oct 8 by TRUE_BLUE123

Holiday parks get a bad rep.

Went on a stag do in butlins, was absolute class.

The holiday parks we've mentioned have give themselves a bad rep. Of course there are outliers, but the ones mentioned here so far are not great recently.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Great Yarmouth on 13:45 - Oct 8 with 1861 viewsgiant_stow

Great Yarmouth on 13:23 - Oct 8 by Churchman

Sorry, ‘Newtown’ is an area of Yarmouth next to the Racecourse, Yarmouth side and down to the dunes. It may not be known as that these days but its the last bit of Yarmouth before you get to Caister. All the roads have WW1 naval commanders names around there and the now closed pub on the sea front was called The Iron Duke (Jellicoe’s flagship at Jutland). It’s basically a mix of 20s council houses and some better ones and used to have a great fish and chip shop, all served in newspaper!
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 13:35]

Ah, I'm with you now - yes, know that part of town.

Great Yarmouth on 13:50 - Oct 8 with 1855 viewsStokieBlue

Great Yarmouth on 13:21 - Oct 8 by artsbossbeard

An additional caveat to the overseas holiday deals (inc flights & hotels booked separately) is that the AI deals are killing off the local trade too.

Getting back to UK matters, I deal with a couple of offshore wind farm companies who are doing their bit to invest in the locality - apprenticeships, working with the local college and creating their own "centre of excellence" but these are few and far between.

They don't really have to pay their staff a massive wage either..

Certainly true on the AI aspect.

On wind farms - that's a shame to hear it's not more involved that that - I was hoping it was. I would argue that it's an industry that is perfect for a nationalised entity. Create a front-to-back nationalised company that would need people from various walks of life and which would invest in the towns and locations where the turbines are needed.

- Apprenticeships for the manufacture and maintenance of the turbines straight from school or 6th form

- Engineers and Programmers from university to design the turbines and provide the software (although could also have apprenticeships for this as well)

If all went well you could even have an export industry in the turbines over the longer term which requires sales, marketing etc.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Great Yarmouth on 14:09 - Oct 8 with 1832 viewsChurchman

Great Yarmouth on 13:45 - Oct 8 by giant_stow

Ah, I'm with you now - yes, know that part of town.

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. One of the things I found interesting when doing a bit of ancestry digging was how the occupations and fortunes (an odd word for people at the bottom of the social heap) of the people I found changed as that area changed. Tough people in unimaginably tough times. It seems nothing changes. While saddened by how the town has declined and is, I do like the area as there is lots to do and of course really like Norfolk as a whole.
Great Yarmouth on 14:18 - Oct 8 with 1820 viewsChondzoresk

My missus and I take a one night decent B and B in Yarmouth every year for a glorified p*** up and a good laugh, but must admit its going seriously downhill, not that it was brilliant to start with, but its not the same as it once was.Its now so run down. Even when we go in mid summer it can be depressing.
Great Yarmouth on 14:45 - Oct 8 with 1800 viewsmidastouch

I live about 3 miles from Great Yarmouth and I have to say the town has sadly become very run down over the years. My dad used to work for STC and ITT, which was based at South Denes. That whole end of town used to employ a lot of people. Now however it looks like a ghost town sadly, certainly compared to just a generation ago when it was far more vibrant. It really is depressing.
Great Yarmouth was on Panorama recently, this school (see the following link) situated by the race course, has to provide a food bank:
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/education/north-denes-primary-school-in-panorama-sh
And it was also on Newsnight fairly recently in regard to county lines.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47914910
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/county-lines-drug-dealer-ordered-to-pay-back-
And yes I voted Brexit, which puts me at odds with plenty of people on here. However, I respect the right of any of you to vote however you best see fit, in or out. You can call my choice ill informed, or a protest vote. However, I am degree educated and I'd like to think I made an informed choice and I still don't regret it one bit. I'd vote exactly the same way again tomorrow if given the chance. Nonetheless, I fully recognise a lot of people in this area did vote purely out of frustration and anger feeling that towns like Yarmouth and Lowestoft have been largely forgotten and left behind over the years. And I'm pleased to at least see one or two conceding on here that it's little surprise to see people in areas as run down as Great Yarmouth choosing to vote against the establishment, especially given how well and truly forgotten and failed they feel by those in the Westminster bubble.
Good post itfcjoe, hope your son enjoys his new bike. And some other very good replies and responses on here.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 14:47]

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Great Yarmouth on 14:47 - Oct 8 with 1789 viewsStokieBlue

Great Yarmouth on 14:45 - Oct 8 by midastouch

I live about 3 miles from Great Yarmouth and I have to say the town has sadly become very run down over the years. My dad used to work for STC and ITT, which was based at South Denes. That whole end of town used to employ a lot of people. Now however it looks like a ghost town sadly, certainly compared to just a generation ago when it was far more vibrant. It really is depressing.
Great Yarmouth was on Panorama recently, this school (see the following link) situated by the race course, has to provide a food bank:
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/education/north-denes-primary-school-in-panorama-sh
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/county-lines-drug-dealer-ordered-to-pay-back-
And yes I voted Brexit, which puts me at odds with plenty of people on here. However, I respect the right of any of you to vote however you best see fit, in or out. You can call my choice ill informed, or a protest vote. However, I am degree educated and I'd like to think I made an informed choice and I still don't regret it one bit. I'd vote exactly the same way again tomorrow if given the chance. Nonetheless, I fully recognise a lot of people in this area did vote purely out of frustration and anger feeling that towns like Yarmouth and Lowestoft have been largely forgotten and left behind over the years. And I'm pleased to at least see one or two conceding on here that it's little surprise to see people in areas as run down as Great Yarmouth choosing to vote against the establishment, especially given how well and truly forgotten and failed they feel by those in the Westminster bubble.
Good post itfcjoe, hope your son enjoys his new bike. And some other very good replies and responses on here.

Out of interest, how do you feel you made an informed choice given most of the information on the form of Brexit and the deals afterwards wasn't known then and still isn't known now?

Also, I am sure you voted so you could short the pound ;).

SB

Great Yarmouth on 14:51 - Oct 8 with 1779 viewsmidastouch

Great Yarmouth on 14:47 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

Out of interest, how do you feel you made an informed choice given most of the information on the form of Brexit and the deals afterwards wasn't known then and still isn't known now?

Also, I am sure you voted so you could short the pound ;).

SB

Forgive me but I've put some my arguments on here before. If you want to regurgitate through them please be my guest by looking through my forum history. I'm not looking to win anybody round to my way of thinking.

Great Yarmouth on 14:52 - Oct 8 with 1779 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Great Yarmouth on 14:45 - Oct 8 by midastouch

Great post

Couple of questions if you don’t mind:
1) what is the reason you’d vote Brexit again now?
2) itfcjoe makes a good point above re the Tories still winning Yarmouth comfortably in the most recent elections, despite austerity measures which will have presumably been a factor in places like Yarmouth becoming so run down. Can you shed any light on why? As per my post above my best guess is that the decline is perceived as having been caused by Labour in the 90’s/early 00’s, plus the Brexit factor, but I could be well wide of the mark there

EDIT: posted before I saw Stokie’s question and your response, so excuse the first question
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 14:54]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Great Yarmouth on 14:52 - Oct 8 with 1772 viewsStokieBlue

Great Yarmouth on 14:51 - Oct 8 by midastouch

Forgive me but I've put some my arguments on here before. If you want to regurgitate through them please be my guest by looking through my forum history. I'm not looking to win anybody round to my way of thinking.

OK fair enough - I've not seen them but happy to leave it there :).

SB

Great Yarmouth on 15:04 - Oct 8 with 1750 viewsmidastouch

Great Yarmouth on 14:52 - Oct 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Great post

Couple of questions if you don’t mind:
1) what is the reason you’d vote Brexit again now?
2) itfcjoe makes a good point above re the Tories still winning Yarmouth comfortably in the most recent elections, despite austerity measures which will have presumably been a factor in places like Yarmouth becoming so run down. Can you shed any light on why? As per my post above my best guess is that the decline is perceived as having been caused by Labour in the 90’s/early 00’s, plus the Brexit factor, but I could be well wide of the mark there

EDIT: posted before I saw Stokie’s question and your response, so excuse the first question
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 14:54]

Personally I think the EU economy is heading for the rocks. I wouldn't be surprised to see another big bank failing soon and I expect it will be either in Germany, France or Switzerland. I don't see them as the economic powerhouse that others do. If we are still a member of the EU by then we could be on the hook big time. Although I expect the future format for banks to get out of a huge hole will be via bail-ins rather than bail-outs. In fact I think they passed a bail-in law for the EU quite some time ago, see here: https://news.goldcore.com/ie/gold-blog/eu-gives-countries-two-months-to-adopt-ba I think Cyprus was a blue print of what to expect going forwards. I was also disgusted by the way the EU treated Greece in its hour of need. I think there will be another Lehamn Brothers style collapse and it will turn ugly.
And I don't understand how the Tories have won Yarmouth as often as they have, maybe it's a reflection of the sorry state of Labour right now. Labour did win Yarmouth back for a while when Tony Blair managed to hoodwink so much of the nation in 1997.

Great Yarmouth on 15:05 - Oct 8 with 1741 viewsmidastouch

Great Yarmouth on 14:52 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

OK fair enough - I've not seen them but happy to leave it there :).

SB

Thanks. As you were so polite I'll gladly dig some out and send them to you later on. I don't think they will go down that well on here though.
Cheers
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 15:05]

Great Yarmouth on 15:10 - Oct 8 with 1726 viewshomer_123

Great Yarmouth on 15:04 - Oct 8 by midastouch

Personally I think the EU economy is heading for the rocks. I wouldn't be surprised to see another big bank failing soon and I expect it will be either in Germany, France or Switzerland. I don't see them as the economic powerhouse that others do. If we are still a member of the EU by then we could be on the hook big time. Although I expect the future format for banks to get out of a huge hole will be via bail-ins rather than bail-outs. In fact I think they passed a bail-in law for the EU quite some time ago, see here: https://news.goldcore.com/ie/gold-blog/eu-gives-countries-two-months-to-adopt-ba I think Cyprus was a blue print of what to expect going forwards. I was also disgusted by the way the EU treated Greece in its hour of need. I think there will be another Lehamn Brothers style collapse and it will turn ugly.
And I don't understand how the Tories have won Yarmouth as often as they have, maybe it's a reflection of the sorry state of Labour right now. Labour did win Yarmouth back for a while when Tony Blair managed to hoodwink so much of the nation in 1997.

There are, indeed, some interesting times afoot within some of the European banks.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Great Yarmouth on 16:40 - Oct 8 with 1657 viewsmidastouch

Great Yarmouth on 15:10 - Oct 8 by homer_123

There are, indeed, some interesting times afoot within some of the European banks.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, well this chart paints a thousand words on the underlying economic health (or more like sickness) of one of Europe's main banks.

That bank is in terminal collapse and when it goes under it's not going to be pretty! And the scary thing is that there are plenty of others showing alarming distress signals. Just look at the charts, to say they are in a severe downtrend would be a prodigious understatement. They are going down like a big dipper.
Derivatives will ultimately bring the whole house of cards crashing down. The central planners can only hold the tide back for so long (I'm stunned they've been able to hold out this long!) and they are fast running out of fire extinguishers.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 16:43]

Great Yarmouth on 16:46 - Oct 8 with 1641 viewsStokieBlue

Great Yarmouth on 16:40 - Oct 8 by midastouch

They say a picture paints a thousand words, well this chart paints a thousand words on the underlying economic health (or more like sickness) of one of Europe's main banks.

That bank is in terminal collapse and when it goes under it's not going to be pretty! And the scary thing is that there are plenty of others showing alarming distress signals. Just look at the charts, to say they are in a severe downtrend would be a prodigious understatement. They are going down like a big dipper.
Derivatives will ultimately bring the whole house of cards crashing down. The central planners can only hold the tide back for so long (I'm stunned they've been able to hold out this long!) and they are fast running out of fire extinguishers.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 16:43]

DB has been in decline since 2007 but it's addressing it's issues now (although it may already be too late). They have closed some of their businesses recently.

Conversely, US banks are doing well as they took their medicine 10 years ago, restructured, forced larger banks to take over smaller ones and then increased regulation. The increased capital ratios in the US and Europe should help offset any overnight bankruptcies but you never know.

SB
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 16:48]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024