Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Need some advice on a Watch 16:47 - Aug 15 with 10498 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Looking for something aesthetically pleasing, something that is stylish to wear. Something like a Rolex (but not a Rolex, I definitely cannot afford that). Want it to be analogue, so not something like an Iwatch.

Money wise, I am happy to pay a decent amount if it is worth it. I know that it is a pretty poor description but if anyone could help with possible brands and makes that would be much appreciated.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2019 16:47]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:00 - Aug 16 with 2999 viewsnrb1985

Need some advice on a Watch on 19:40 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Bite the bullet and get a Rolex sports watch with a stainless steel strap - you can’t go wrong and if everything goes tits up you can cash it in and barely lose a oenny

Agree with this but getting your hands on one is a different story!

Have been on waiting list for a Pepsi GMT for almost two years. If I finally get one at face value I could flip it immediately for almost double the price!
Need some advice on a Watch on 08:15 - Aug 16 with 2987 viewsitfcjoe

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:00 - Aug 16 by nrb1985

Have been on waiting list for a Pepsi GMT for almost two years. If I finally get one at face value I could flip it immediately for almost double the price!

Last time I was at Heathrow they had one there for FV, should have bought it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:40 - Aug 16 with 2950 viewsnrb1985

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:15 - Aug 16 by itfcjoe

Last time I was at Heathrow they had one there for FV, should have bought it

No way? That's unheard of.

Only downside of flipping is if Rolex find out you'll be black listed. Had heard they weren't giving papers for up to year after purchase to discourage this.

With GBP where it is at the moment I think watches in LHR will be about 15-20% discount now for foreign buyers. Always takes them a while to adjust prices.
Need some advice on a Watch on 08:46 - Aug 16 with 2943 viewssolemio

So a watch is an item of expensive male jewellery.
It has nothing to do with telling the time.
Need some advice on a Watch on 08:48 - Aug 16 with 2936 viewsitfcjoe

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:40 - Aug 16 by nrb1985

No way? That's unheard of.

Only downside of flipping is if Rolex find out you'll be black listed. Had heard they weren't giving papers for up to year after purchase to discourage this.

With GBP where it is at the moment I think watches in LHR will be about 15-20% discount now for foreign buyers. Always takes them a while to adjust prices.

Yep, you just need to get yourself on lists to pick them up and have to when they come in which isn't always good as need to have the cash sitting there as otherwise it will go to next on the list and you go back down to the bottom - need a lot of money just to stay on the list in case something unbelievanle comes in effectively!

When my Dad got a Daytona he had a phonecall and was in China and I had to take £2k out of my savings to give to the jewellers that day just as a holding deposit or it was gone

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:49 - Aug 16 with 2933 viewsitfcjoe

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:46 - Aug 16 by solemio

So a watch is an item of expensive male jewellery.
It has nothing to do with telling the time.

It does both, some even will tell you what date it is too

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:50 - Aug 16 with 2930 viewsnrb1985

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:49 - Aug 16 by itfcjoe

Lol
Need some advice on a Watch on 08:53 - Aug 16 with 2922 viewssolemio

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:49 - Aug 16 by itfcjoe

Thank you for explaining that. My gratitude is unbounded.
Login to get fewer ads

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:53 - Aug 16 with 2921 viewsnrb1985

Need some advice on a Watch on 08:48 - Aug 16 by itfcjoe

Yep, you just need to get yourself on lists to pick them up and have to when they come in which isn't always good as need to have the cash sitting there as otherwise it will go to next on the list and you go back down to the bottom - need a lot of money just to stay on the list in case something unbelievanle comes in effectively!

When my Dad got a Daytona he had a phonecall and was in China and I had to take £2k out of my savings to give to the jewellers that day just as a holding deposit or it was gone

Oh wow, that's strict. With brands direct they usually give you a week or so to make up your mind. Different I guess for third party retailers.

Might just give up on the pepsi and buy something else, 20 months and counting...
Need some advice on a Watch on 09:18 - Aug 16 with 2891 viewshampstead_blue

How about this......
https://www.mondaine.com/watches/official-swiss-railways-watch.html

Very classy and people do stare. I've got a couple and they are great. Not expensive.
The 'stop2go' is the definition of cool....

Vintage is also a good place to go. Plenty of watch auctions.

If this is a one-off type piece maybe avoid the big brands. Rolex are everyday watches. Nothing special other than the brand and PR hype. The actual movements on a lot of the 'posh' watches are cheap.

Edit; I wrote that not to have a pop at Rolex owners. I've had a couple and bought a couple as gifts. They are just not my thing but I do love the Explorer design.

One very cool watch is this; http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/omega/omega-f300-tuning-fork/

I got Mrs H a Gold plated one and it looks a million bucks. It cost me about £250. Don't worry about the servicing, it's all done here; http://electric-watches.co.uk/service-and-repair/

This website is very interesting. Lots of small brands turning out great stuff. The movements are generic BUT carefully sourced for the job.
https://microbrandwatchworld.com/

In short......for a couple of grand you can buy a small collection and have one for every purpose.

My faves of the above are all of them. Between Mrs H and me we've covered them for not much.

Have fun!!!
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 14:59]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Need some advice on a Watch on 09:34 - Aug 16 with 2873 viewsStokieBlue

That's a lovely watch.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Need some advice on a Watch on 09:46 - Aug 16 with 2862 viewsnrb1985

Need some advice on a Watch on 09:34 - Aug 16 by StokieBlue

That's a lovely watch.

SB

It is but running out of patience! Passed up on the Batman in January as I wanted to wait for this, with hindsight I should of taken that.

Can't believe Joe saw one in the showroom in LHR - literally unheard of.
Need some advice on a Watch on 09:47 - Aug 16 with 2860 viewshampstead_blue

Need some advice on a Watch on 17:14 - Aug 15 by StokieBlue

I think he might mean homage rather than fake - something like this:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/gmt-ocean-one-39-black-keramik.ht

Still well built with a decent movement, just "inspired" by the real thing.

SB
[Post edited 15 Aug 2019 17:15]

Agree.

There are so many micro brands using Rolex and Omega type watches as a style template.
The movements are very well sourced and researched and are probably as good as any Rolex movement.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/ Is a good source of ideas.

https://microbrandwatchworld.com/ An interesting blog. Check out the past blogs for some hidden gems.

https://www.komradewatches.com/

This is on my lost of watches to buy next.... https://www.undone.com/uk

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Need some advice on a Watch on 09:55 - Aug 16 with 2854 viewsHeathlander

I have a Tag Heuer which is a really good quality watch.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/tag-heuer-watches

Got it from here. If you google discount codes you can get 20% off. Customer service is excellent too.
Need some advice on a Watch on 10:06 - Aug 16 with 2844 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Need some advice on a Watch on 09:18 - Aug 16 by hampstead_blue

How about this......
https://www.mondaine.com/watches/official-swiss-railways-watch.html

Very classy and people do stare. I've got a couple and they are great. Not expensive.
The 'stop2go' is the definition of cool....

Vintage is also a good place to go. Plenty of watch auctions.

If this is a one-off type piece maybe avoid the big brands. Rolex are everyday watches. Nothing special other than the brand and PR hype. The actual movements on a lot of the 'posh' watches are cheap.

Edit; I wrote that not to have a pop at Rolex owners. I've had a couple and bought a couple as gifts. They are just not my thing but I do love the Explorer design.

One very cool watch is this; http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/omega/omega-f300-tuning-fork/

I got Mrs H a Gold plated one and it looks a million bucks. It cost me about £250. Don't worry about the servicing, it's all done here; http://electric-watches.co.uk/service-and-repair/

This website is very interesting. Lots of small brands turning out great stuff. The movements are generic BUT carefully sourced for the job.
https://microbrandwatchworld.com/

In short......for a couple of grand you can buy a small collection and have one for every purpose.

My faves of the above are all of them. Between Mrs H and me we've covered them for not much.

Have fun!!!
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 14:59]

Appreciate this mate

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Need some advice on a Watch on 10:58 - Aug 16 with 2824 viewsBiGDonnie

Think you'd look decent in a nice white G-Shock to be honest.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Need some advice on a Watch on 11:00 - Aug 16 with 2823 viewsKungfuBlue

Need some advice on a Watch on 10:06 - Aug 16 by TRUE_BLUE123

Appreciate this mate

Take a look here: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/

I just bought a Frederique Constant from a seller in Netherlands for £300 cheaper than current retail.

Good mix of used and new and there is an element of security in that the money you pay is held in Escrow until the watch arrives and you have checked it, you then release the funds to the seller.

If you do go down this route I'd strongly suggest sticking to main European countries for purchase (UK, Germany, Netherlands are all pretty good)

If buying a 2nd hand try to ignore ones where sellers only post photos of the watch from a distance, this normally means there is more wear than the description.

As someone pointed out above Tudor is a solid make, you may also want to consider Oris or Hamilton. Seiko mechanicals are also amazing and cant be beaten.
Need some advice on a Watch on 11:16 - Aug 16 with 2811 viewsStokieBlue

Need some advice on a Watch on 11:00 - Aug 16 by KungfuBlue

Take a look here: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/

I just bought a Frederique Constant from a seller in Netherlands for £300 cheaper than current retail.

Good mix of used and new and there is an element of security in that the money you pay is held in Escrow until the watch arrives and you have checked it, you then release the funds to the seller.

If you do go down this route I'd strongly suggest sticking to main European countries for purchase (UK, Germany, Netherlands are all pretty good)

If buying a 2nd hand try to ignore ones where sellers only post photos of the watch from a distance, this normally means there is more wear than the description.

As someone pointed out above Tudor is a solid make, you may also want to consider Oris or Hamilton. Seiko mechanicals are also amazing and cant be beaten.

Some rather nice Speedmasters on there for a very decent price - nice site.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Need some advice on a Watch on 11:19 - Aug 16 with 2804 viewsKungfuBlue

Need some advice on a Watch on 11:16 - Aug 16 by StokieBlue

Some rather nice Speedmasters on there for a very decent price - nice site.

SB

The site should come with a public health warning "This site has an ability to drain your bank account". I spend a good chunk of time hovering over the purchase button and on the cusp of a purchase on a whim, lots of temptation in there.
Need some advice on a Watch on 11:21 - Aug 16 with 2802 viewsfatronaldo

Maurice Lacroix all the way!

Loooove their Aikon Automatic.

They have loads of other models as well ofc. Lets us know what you buy.
Need some advice on a Watch on 12:03 - Aug 16 with 2787 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I've just asked the jeweller I used about this - will be interesting if he can get me one, or how long the waiting list is.

I've bought a Rolex and a Patek through them in the past so they probably won't think I'm going to flip it.
Need some advice on a Watch on 12:17 - Aug 16 with 2776 viewsnrb1985

Need some advice on a Watch on 12:03 - Aug 16 by PrideOfTheEast

I've just asked the jeweller I used about this - will be interesting if he can get me one, or how long the waiting list is.

I've bought a Rolex and a Patek through them in the past so they probably won't think I'm going to flip it.

Nice. Which Patek?

About 2 years ago a buddy of mine put his name down for Nautilus. Got a call two weeks ago saying it was in. He bought it, went straight to the local watch dealer and sold it for double. The dealer sold it same day for a profit of 10k.

The market is insane at the moment.
Need some advice on a Watch on 12:23 - Aug 16 with 2771 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Need some advice on a Watch on 12:17 - Aug 16 by nrb1985

Nice. Which Patek?

About 2 years ago a buddy of mine put his name down for Nautilus. Got a call two weeks ago saying it was in. He bought it, went straight to the local watch dealer and sold it for double. The dealer sold it same day for a profit of 10k.

The market is insane at the moment.

Just a Calatrava but it's a lovely watch.

It's been in the back of my mind for a while now to test the water with this so fingers crossed. Surely the bubble will burst at some point?
Need some advice on a Watch on 12:31 - Aug 16 with 2765 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Need some advice on a Watch on 10:58 - Aug 16 by BiGDonnie

Think you'd look decent in a nice white G-Shock to be honest.

Your making me blush

Need some advice on a Watch on 13:08 - Aug 16 with 2747 viewsnrb1985

Need some advice on a Watch on 12:23 - Aug 16 by PrideOfTheEast

Just a Calatrava but it's a lovely watch.

It's been in the back of my mind for a while now to test the water with this so fingers crossed. Surely the bubble will burst at some point?

Don't think it'll change anytime soon - the big brands are very careful about how much supply they let the market have access to. And while you have Chinese and UAE money coming in then it's likely demand will continue to outstrip supply.

Plus, people have also now cottoned on to using them as a store of value too. Adding further demand.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024