Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season 10:27 - Aug 6 with 1972 viewsitfcjoe

I don't watch a huge amount of PL football, but this will make what I do much less enjoyable and much harder to get emotionally involved in.

"It is an intricate job, especially when fans cannot see what is being assessed, but there have been no targets set for the time a decision should take. The priority is getting the call right, says Swarbrick, the head of VAR implementation."
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 10:29]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:29 - Aug 6 with 1956 viewsWD19

I was thinking of canning BT Sport when my discount comes to an end in a couple of months. This might well be the final straw to be honest. Can get some DIY done instead.
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:31 - Aug 6 with 1949 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Load up on penalty takers in your FF teams folks

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:35 - Aug 6 with 1921 viewsartsbossbeard

If the Birds World Cup can be used as an example of VAR, it's quite apparent that should the ref be advised to take a look at something he/she has missed in the penalty area, then he might as well simply point to the spot there & then and save us all 10 minutes.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:35 - Aug 6 with 1926 viewsTrequartista

I noticed a quite patronising attitude from many during the Women's World Cup around VAR, in that the narrative was not "Does VAR work in football" but "You will get used it". Commentators were not questioning glaring discrepancies. They ummed and ahhed until the VAR decision was given, and then fitted their argument around it.

We are now about to apply it to a league where money rules and sportsmanship is practically zero. Chaos awaits.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 10:35]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:36 - Aug 6 with 1908 viewswkj

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:35 - Aug 6 by Trequartista

I noticed a quite patronising attitude from many during the Women's World Cup around VAR, in that the narrative was not "Does VAR work in football" but "You will get used it". Commentators were not questioning glaring discrepancies. They ummed and ahhed until the VAR decision was given, and then fitted their argument around it.

We are now about to apply it to a league where money rules and sportsmanship is practically zero. Chaos awaits.

Not really a patronising attitude, but an outright batsh** crazy one until HolyGoalie got banned

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:40 - Aug 6 with 1883 viewsitfcjoe

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:35 - Aug 6 by artsbossbeard

If the Birds World Cup can be used as an example of VAR, it's quite apparent that should the ref be advised to take a look at something he/she has missed in the penalty area, then he might as well simply point to the spot there & then and save us all 10 minutes.

It just totally kills the atmosphere, designed for armchair fans and not those in the ground.

When offsides are done to the millimetre it has gone too far

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:48 - Aug 6 with 1838 viewsWD19

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:35 - Aug 6 by Trequartista

Yep, it was very obvious as you say. They were clearly briefed/had a party line to trot out. Broadcasters clearly want it and they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:00 - Aug 6 with 1781 viewsfooters

Next thing you know there'll be blokes in labcoats pacing the touchline with trundle wheels and test tubes.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:00 - Aug 6 with 1782 viewslinhdi

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:29 - Aug 6 by WD19

I was thinking of canning BT Sport when my discount comes to an end in a couple of months. This might well be the final straw to be honest. Can get some DIY done instead.

Pochettino summed it up for me. "VAR means you can never celebrate a goal again". Overstatement maybe, but more than a ring of truth.
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:05 - Aug 6 with 1758 viewsDarkHorse

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:00 - Aug 6 by linhdi

Pochettino summed it up for me. "VAR means you can never celebrate a goal again". Overstatement maybe, but more than a ring of truth.

This.

F*ck VAR.
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:11 - Aug 6 with 1734 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think it is an overstatement - there needs to be a quick visual note for those in the ground to give you the Green light to celebrate - a glance over to the linesmans flag and the signal of the ref.....they take a split second but so important to the regular football watcher

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:24 - Aug 6 with 1693 viewsSamWhiteUK

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 10:36 - Aug 6 by wkj

Not really a patronising attitude, but an outright batsh** crazy one until HolyGoalie got banned

Wait, what? Why did HolyGoalie get banned?
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:33 - Aug 6 with 1674 viewsfooters

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:24 - Aug 6 by SamWhiteUK

Wait, what? Why did HolyGoalie get banned?

He went on a massive pro-VAR rant. It got quite heated and unnecessary.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:41 - Aug 6 with 1647 viewsBigManBlue

VAR is rubbish. But if anyone plays Fantasy Football it's going to mean that penalty takers are great value for money!

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:42 - Aug 6 with 1645 viewsTractorCam

He's spot on.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:46 - Aug 6 with 1632 viewsjonbull88

I think people have got to remember it is it’s first season in the premiership and like all technology it will get better and more importantly faster over time. Whilst it is frustrating that it takes a swhile atm, you’ve got to remember football nowadays is over analysed and any decision will be discussed for ages after a game, so the decision might as well be correct.
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 12:00 - Aug 6 with 1600 viewsNotMarcusEvans

I'd welcome VAR at Portman Road, so long as I don't have to pay for it.
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 12:20 - Aug 6 with 1543 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 11:46 - Aug 6 by jonbull88

I think people have got to remember it is it’s first season in the premiership and like all technology it will get better and more importantly faster over time. Whilst it is frustrating that it takes a swhile atm, you’ve got to remember football nowadays is over analysed and any decision will be discussed for ages after a game, so the decision might as well be correct.

All that will happen is people will argue whether VAR got it right rather than the recipe, with the controversial decision now having taken an extra 5 minutes to reach

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 12:22 - Aug 6 with 1537 viewsWD19

I have over analysed this post and decided you are wrong. Sorry. Bin it.
Just remembered the PL has VAR this season on 12:25 - Aug 6 with 1523 viewsTractorCam

VAR has been good at getting offsides to the millimeter, which is actually very stupid as it takes 3 minutes to analyse.

VAR has been very poor with penalties, as more of them aren't 'clear and obvious' meaning the decision is up in the air and half the people will disagree with the final decision, again taking 3 minutes to analyse.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024