Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip 12:39 - Jun 26 with 10199 viewsbontcho

That's a surprise to me. Suggests the plan was to sell Bart to get a few in? Or is PL pulling the wool over our eyes?

(Sorry if this was discussed yesterday, I missed that little quote in Phil's article yesterday.)

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:57 - Jun 26 with 3147 viewsBlueBadger

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:28 - Jun 26 by textbackup

we've been here so many times before though haven't we. people calling others bed wetters, etc. but it never changes, ME never changes.

Plus, I fear that far too(not you, I'd stress) many are placing far too much expectation on Paul Lambert purely because he's not Mick rather than on what he showed last season(not a lot).

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:58 - Jun 26 with 3145 viewsIllinoisblue

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:51 - Jun 26 by clive_baker

Miles off? Who do you think in L1 has a materially better squad than us?

I don't think we're miles off, and Germany is a good opportunity for Lambert and his staff to really take a look at what we've got before we go out and bring players in. Not the proven players, but the likes of Woolfenden, Donacien, Emmanuel, Rowe etc, and I'm all for giving them a chance. However you cut it, we are still a forward short though.

Emmanuel has got promoted out of L1 before. Rowe by all accounts was great for Lincoln in L2 and I've liked what I've seen of him. Woolfenden looked excellent in his few appearances previously and impressed out on loan. These are the players that we really need to show some faith in.

Then you add in getting the likes of Bishop and Huws a full pre-season under their belt, Dozzell, Lankester and Downes a year older and wiser. Quality and experience in Skuse, Bart (currently), Judge, Edwards, Norwood, Chambers. If we bought in a striker on loan to see us through until Sears is back in contention, and 1 experience head defensively, I would say we're there or thereabouts and have an enviable squad at this level.

As I've said before, I still maintain the biggest barrier we face is mindset and belief, rather than ability. Huge job for Lambert in that regard.

sadly, I think your last line is the biggest problem of all. There's a culture of losing running through the club for the last 18 months. Hard to shake that off. Why a good start is vital.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:02 - Jun 26 with 3129 viewsclive_baker

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:58 - Jun 26 by Illinoisblue

sadly, I think your last line is the biggest problem of all. There's a culture of losing running through the club for the last 18 months. Hard to shake that off. Why a good start is vital.

Completely agree. If I were Lambert I would be spending more of my time and budget on sports psychologists than I would on recruiting players that are no better than what we already have at our disposal. The rot well and truly set in last year and it's not a 5 minute fix to shake it off. Needs some really sensible man management, real shake up and a very obvious line under last season and a fresh start. I think in that respect it's healthy to have the likes of Norwood and Rowe here off the back of promotions, and some of the younger lads who will be desperate to stake their claim.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:06 - Jun 26 with 3120 viewsBlueBadger

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:53 - Jun 26 by Kieran_Knows

I do think there is a concern that we're putting all in our eggs in one basket with regards to the sh*t show of a squad from last season (which we seem to be keeping mostly together still) somehow turns in to a side that can challenge in League 1, plus several youngsters make the step up as their doesn't seem to be many more signings come through the door (of which the 3 we've made, 1 is a keeper from a mid-table League 1 side from last year, the other is a keeper for the under 23 squad and the other is a decent scoring striker from League 2). Doesn't exactly set the pulses racing, does it?

They're all 'proven' in League One, apparently.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:06 - Jun 26 with 3119 viewsBlueBadger

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:45 - Jun 26 by itfcjoe

We look miles off, our defence is poor

Yep. Chambers is really knocking on now, Woofenden largely unproven and Nsiala is rubbish.

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:08 - Jun 26 with 3112 viewsHerbivore

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:27 - Jun 26 by Kieran_Knows

He says anyone who was out there training, from youngsters who were on the periphery last season such as Tristan Nydam or Corrie Ndaba - although Barry Cotter and Aaron Drinan were with the development squad - to those who were on loan like Danny Rowe or Jordan Roberts, have a chance of being in his team on the opening day and he isn’t anticipating any additions prior to the Germany trip.

“What you see here at the minute are the lads who will come with me to Germany, and the two lads that are not here [James Norwood and Alan Judge].

"At this moment, unless something really crazy happens before we go to Germany, then most of these lads will come.”
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 13:28]

I don't read that as him ruling out any additions before we go to Germany.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:12 - Jun 26 with 3105 viewsclive_baker

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:06 - Jun 26 by BlueBadger

Yep. Chambers is really knocking on now, Woofenden largely unproven and Nsiala is rubbish.

Nsiala isn't rubbish, by any stretch. He would walk into any side at this level.

As for Woolfenden, yes he's unproven but how can he prove himself without an opportunity. He's 20, he needs to kick on now, and he's coming here off the back of a season in L2 last season. People are quick to stamp their feet when players like Clarke, Marriott, Rhodes etc are moved on without being given a chance, but equally they're unwilling to give these young players a chance. Of course we need to bring him though, and have experienced heads around him (which we do in Chambers and Nsiala), but we need to put faith in this younger crop or we wont get anywhere.

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:20 - Jun 26 with 3085 viewsitfcjoe

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:51 - Jun 26 by clive_baker

Miles off? Who do you think in L1 has a materially better squad than us?

I don't think we're miles off, and Germany is a good opportunity for Lambert and his staff to really take a look at what we've got before we go out and bring players in. Not the proven players, but the likes of Woolfenden, Donacien, Emmanuel, Rowe etc, and I'm all for giving them a chance. However you cut it, we are still a forward short though.

Emmanuel has got promoted out of L1 before. Rowe by all accounts was great for Lincoln in L2 and I've liked what I've seen of him. Woolfenden looked excellent in his few appearances previously and impressed out on loan. These are the players that we really need to show some faith in.

Then you add in getting the likes of Bishop and Huws a full pre-season under their belt, Dozzell, Lankester and Downes a year older and wiser. Quality and experience in Skuse, Bart (currently), Judge, Edwards, Norwood, Chambers. If we bought in a striker on loan to see us through until Sears is back in contention, and 1 experience head defensively, I would say we're there or thereabouts and have an enviable squad at this level.

As I've said before, I still maintain the biggest barrier we face is mindset and belief, rather than ability. Huge job for Lambert in that regard.

Maybe miles off is too much, but bar GK and CM where would you say we have positions of strength? There are big questions and lack of depth nearly everywhere else.

And this is a side that has come down having won 5 games all year, where the manager had 30 games and didn’t get itv right.

I’m. It saying we’ll struggle, I think we’ll be in top 8 or 9 whatever happens - but we need to be better than that before club scales back further and we just become a bog standard L1 side

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:32 - Jun 26 with 3053 viewsclive_baker

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:20 - Jun 26 by itfcjoe

Maybe miles off is too much, but bar GK and CM where would you say we have positions of strength? There are big questions and lack of depth nearly everywhere else.

And this is a side that has come down having won 5 games all year, where the manager had 30 games and didn’t get itv right.

I’m. It saying we’ll struggle, I think we’ll be in top 8 or 9 whatever happens - but we need to be better than that before club scales back further and we just become a bog standard L1 side

We've got 2 young right backs, one who got promoted from L2 last season and another who has a promotion from L1 on his CV already.

We've got a home grown LB who has shown promise, and JD can also slot here. I agree however it's an area that might need strengthening.

We've got a club captain and player who, despite his critics, really should be too good for L1 in Chambers and actually a physical and less technical division such as L1 should benefit him. Nsiala is proven at that level, a huge part of a play off final reaching side and started to show what he's capable for us last season. He would get in any team at this level. Young Woolfenden coming through is highly thought of, has showed real promise and absolutely deserves his chance. As I said, an experienced head added here would be welcome.

How Lambert shapes his midfield is TBC, but from a selection of Huws, Bishop, Dozzell, Skuse, Downes, Edwards, Rowe, Lankester, Judge etc. its, IMO, the best at this level and stronger than last season, despite relegation.

Norwood could prove to be a great signing, top scorer in the country last season and exactly what we're missing. As I said we need another head here, especially until Sears is back.

So 2 choice additions and I would say we're ready to go.

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:37 - Jun 26 with 3032 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:28 - Jun 26 by textbackup

we've been here so many times before though haven't we. people calling others bed wetters, etc. but it never changes, ME never changes.

He doesn’t.

It’s such a shame but even after taking us down to third division for the first time in 60 years, Evans still seems content to screw us further.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:43 - Jun 26 with 3013 viewsBlueBadger

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:04 - Jun 26 by homer_123

Sorry Guthers but I read this 'polishing of a finished article' as 'polishing of a turd'.

141 POINTS AND 250 GOALS

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 16:51 - Jun 26 with 2943 viewstextbackup

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:43 - Jun 26 by BlueBadger

141 POINTS AND 250 GOALS

you've written that maybe 5/6 times in 2 days.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 16:53 - Jun 26 with 2938 viewsPhilTWTD

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:08 - Jun 26 by Herbivore

I don't read that as him ruling out any additions before we go to Germany.

I've just checked the question that was asked and it was something along the lines of, following on from the previous question: Anyone here today could start against Burton, you don’t have Tristan or Corrie pencilled in for a loan deal?

So, more about potential outs than ins, although from what I gather there's nothing expected as things stand, although things can change quickly, of course.
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:00 - Jun 26 with 2917 viewstextbackup

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:58 - Jun 26 by Illinoisblue

and personally, and this isn't pick on chambers day as I've already had a moan about him, but i'd pick a new captain. nothing he said to them players inspired them last season, or season before that. we need fresh new voices out there.
i'd have him as club captain, but a new team captain.

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:03 - Jun 26 with 2906 viewsbluesym

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:00 - Jun 26 by textbackup

and personally, and this isn't pick on chambers day as I've already had a moan about him, but i'd pick a new captain. nothing he said to them players inspired them last season, or season before that. we need fresh new voices out there.

Agree.
Although it would prob be given to Skuse, which would be even worse.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:12 - Jun 26 with 2891 viewsOsborneOneNil

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:32 - Jun 26 by clive_baker

We've got 2 young right backs, one who got promoted from L2 last season and another who has a promotion from L1 on his CV already.

We've got a home grown LB who has shown promise, and JD can also slot here. I agree however it's an area that might need strengthening.

We've got a club captain and player who, despite his critics, really should be too good for L1 in Chambers and actually a physical and less technical division such as L1 should benefit him. Nsiala is proven at that level, a huge part of a play off final reaching side and started to show what he's capable for us last season. He would get in any team at this level. Young Woolfenden coming through is highly thought of, has showed real promise and absolutely deserves his chance. As I said, an experienced head added here would be welcome.

How Lambert shapes his midfield is TBC, but from a selection of Huws, Bishop, Dozzell, Skuse, Downes, Edwards, Rowe, Lankester, Judge etc. its, IMO, the best at this level and stronger than last season, despite relegation.

Norwood could prove to be a great signing, top scorer in the country last season and exactly what we're missing. As I said we need another head here, especially until Sears is back.

Chambers won't be 'too good ' for this division.......he's well past his best.
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:19 - Jun 26 with 2883 viewstextbackup

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:03 - Jun 26 by bluesym

Agree.
Although it would prob be given to Skuse, which would be even worse.

id be handing it to judge personally

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:32 - Jun 26 with 2868 viewsKeaneish

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:20 - Jun 26 by itfcjoe

I agree with you on this, the balance in defence just isn't there and given the calamities of last season, there's much to be apprehensive about. There's not much pace in central defence and no left footer with any experience. Given the lack of depth, there's a lot of pressure on Kenlock and Emmanuel to do well but given how shaky the more experienced heads were last season, i think there's genuine cause for concern.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 18:15 - Jun 26 with 2848 viewsBlueBadger

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 16:51 - Jun 26 by textbackup

you've written that maybe 5/6 times in 2 days.

I'm just looking forward to seeing us win some games.

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 18:34 - Jun 26 with 2835 viewsBlueBadger

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:00 - Jun 26 by textbackup

Trouble is...who? The only other obvious candidate is Skuse. Most of the rest spent large chunks of last season either hiding, being rubbish or both.

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 18:36 - Jun 26 with 2834 viewsGarv

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 15:32 - Jun 26 by clive_baker

You actually missed Nolan. Another midfield option and arguably our most promising.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I'll make you moan luv xx (n/t) on 18:37 - Jun 26 with 2834 viewsBlueBadger

I'll make you moan luv xx (n/t) on 14:45 - Jun 26 by footers

You're getting a job on the bar at Portman Road?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 18:40 - Jun 26 with 2836 viewsBloomBlue

What I dont understand is last season lots of fans moaned about him not using more players from the U23s in the C'ship, now people are moaning about not buying players and only using the youngsters (u23s) in L1.
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 18:55 - Jun 26 with 2826 viewsGarv

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:53 - Jun 26 by Kieran_Knows

I do think there is a concern that we're putting all in our eggs in one basket with regards to the sh*t show of a squad from last season (which we seem to be keeping mostly together still) somehow turns in to a side that can challenge in League 1, plus several youngsters make the step up as their doesn't seem to be many more signings come through the door (of which the 3 we've made, 1 is a keeper from a mid-table League 1 side from last year, the other is a keeper for the under 23 squad and the other is a decent scoring striker from League 2). Doesn't exactly set the pulses racing, does it?

'Decent' is underplaying 32 goals in a season, is it not?

Fine, it was League Two, but still.

I agree with you in part. I feel massively in the dark when thinking about where we will or should finish.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 19:00 - Jun 26 with 2819 viewsBlueBadger

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 17:19 - Jun 26 by textbackup

id be handing it to judge personally

Ah, the Sven strategy of 'make the least-worst player skipper'.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024