Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us 00:32 - Apr 11 with 10104 viewsAlexGreen

Frightening really when we think what they're both worth now, probably a difference of 15 million.

I really wish we had some form of European scouting network - just one gem like him would pay for it for the next hundred years

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 10:27 - Apr 11 with 3224 viewsJohnny_Boy

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 10:20 - Apr 11 by itfcjoe

They are a team though, and Mick is the boss and takes the responsibility.

Yes, of course that's a fair point. Not so simple as black & white.

In the same way as MM had his positives & negatives. To ignore either of his failings or merits - just for sly digs is a little ridiculous at times.
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:44 - Apr 11 with 3158 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I thought he looked very good last night (Maupay that is!). Chambers was, as ever, pulled all over the place but he really stood out. Not sure I've seen a better striker this season.
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:49 - Apr 11 with 3144 viewsBluedandy

Beyond the disbandment of their youth policy, Brentford have adopted an entirely different recruitment philosophy.

Players like Brentford's Saïd Benrahma (last season he was playing on loan in the French second division) have been a million miles from our parochial radar.

We should have appointed a director of football like Brentford's Rasmus Ankersen years ago to find and acquire players like Benrahma and Maupay from Europe and beyond.

Look what Norwich did via Webber and Farke when they saw the parachute money drying up.

Pukki came on a free from Brondby, Leitner cost 1.5 million from Augsburg and Buendia was also 1.5 million from Getafe. We paid the same in fees for Jackson, Harrison, Nsiala and Nolan.

After Keane and Jewell there was no long term vision to rebuild the playing side ... unambitious Evans was happy with pragmatic McCarthy's formula of rip it up and start again season after season until it was too late.

In the end you reap what you don't sow ...
[Post edited 11 Apr 2019 14:18]
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:54 - Apr 11 with 3130 viewsitfcjoe

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:49 - Apr 11 by Bluedandy

Beyond the disbandment of their youth policy, Brentford have adopted an entirely different recruitment philosophy.

Players like Brentford's Saïd Benrahma (last season he was playing on loan in the French second division) have been a million miles from our parochial radar.

We should have appointed a director of football like Brentford's Rasmus Ankersen years ago to find and acquire players like Benrahma and Maupay from Europe and beyond.

Look what Norwich did via Webber and Farke when they saw the parachute money drying up.

Pukki came on a free from Brondby, Leitner cost 1.5 million from Augsburg and Buendia was also 1.5 million from Getafe. We paid the same in fees for Jackson, Harrison, Nsiala and Nolan.

After Keane and Jewell there was no long term vision to rebuild the playing side ... unambitious Evans was happy with pragmatic McCarthy's formula of rip it up and start again season after season until it was too late.

Apparently some of the Germans bought in by Norwich were only in some cases earning £800 a week too!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:57 - Apr 11 with 3120 viewsHerbivore

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:49 - Apr 11 by Bluedandy

Although Brentford have also made huge money on the English market too with gems like Gray, Woods and Hogan to name just three. The thing is they accept they'll lose one or two each season but that enables them to bring in three or four more. Our issue was losing so many of our better players last summer and bringing in too many lower league players at once. At Brentford they slot seamlessly into an established set up and way of playing which makes it much easier to succeed. I've said for a while that if we could model their recruitment strategy whilst retaining a productive academy we'd have a shot at promotion without the need for significant additional investment.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:04 - Apr 11 with 3105 viewsKieran_Knows

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:57 - Apr 11 by Herbivore

Although Brentford have also made huge money on the English market too with gems like Gray, Woods and Hogan to name just three. The thing is they accept they'll lose one or two each season but that enables them to bring in three or four more. Our issue was losing so many of our better players last summer and bringing in too many lower league players at once. At Brentford they slot seamlessly into an established set up and way of playing which makes it much easier to succeed. I've said for a while that if we could model their recruitment strategy whilst retaining a productive academy we'd have a shot at promotion without the need for significant additional investment.

It's because they 'cherry pick' the best 2-3 players. Not fill the squad with 'average' League 1 & 2 players. Romaine Sawyers, Rico Henry and Ollie Watkins to name just 3 were stand out performers at Walsall/League 1 and Exeter/League 2 at the time they were signed by Brentford.

Whilst the likes of Harrison, Donacien & Nsiala were decent players at League 1 & 2, they hardly set the world alight. Had we of came out of last summer with just Jackson (one of League 2's top scorers), Nolan (widely regarded as one of the better midfielders in League 1 last season), and Edwards (again, when FIT, widely regarded as one of the better midfielders in League 1), I think that would've been okay business.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:14 - Apr 11 with 3081 viewsEireannach_gorm

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 08:34 - Apr 11 by itfcjoe

Yep, Mick and his team including Dave Bowman were both very good spotters of talent and well respected in the game and players wanted to play for them.

Hoping Lambert can be the same, because that is our only hope of recruiting good players

I see Dave Bowman is now technical advisor to the Republic of Ireland team. Mick knows the value of this type of person. Lambert, as you say, needs to get the like into his management team to have any hope of moving the club forward.
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:39 - Apr 11 with 3050 viewsHerbivore

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:04 - Apr 11 by Kieran_Knows

It's because they 'cherry pick' the best 2-3 players. Not fill the squad with 'average' League 1 & 2 players. Romaine Sawyers, Rico Henry and Ollie Watkins to name just 3 were stand out performers at Walsall/League 1 and Exeter/League 2 at the time they were signed by Brentford.

Whilst the likes of Harrison, Donacien & Nsiala were decent players at League 1 & 2, they hardly set the world alight. Had we of came out of last summer with just Jackson (one of League 2's top scorers), Nolan (widely regarded as one of the better midfielders in League 1 last season), and Edwards (again, when FIT, widely regarded as one of the better midfielders in League 1), I think that would've been okay business.

In fairness, Nsiala was considered more than just decent last season. He was excellent for Shrewsbury. We signed too many no doubt and that's made it hard to see how many might have been good enough as they were all thrown in together into a brand new team.

Login to get fewer ads

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:40 - Apr 11 with 3046 viewsstrikalite

Spot on post that...don't tell me that these young talented flair players aren't out there, it's been the case for a long while now that you need to cast your net overseas because even if they were available here they'd be way out our price range and in high demand..

It's incredible that we have no scouts of any number overseas now, think of players like Claus Thomsen, Gardsoe, Reuser, Taricco to name a few without even thinking....absolute quality..
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:42 - Apr 11 with 3038 viewsKieran_Knows

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:39 - Apr 11 by Herbivore

In fairness, Nsiala was considered more than just decent last season. He was excellent for Shrewsbury. We signed too many no doubt and that's made it hard to see how many might have been good enough as they were all thrown in together into a brand new team.

True, maybe you could swap Nsiala for Edwards then, but yes, too many were signed and then just chucked in together. Brentford have it down to a tee and whilst they may not really ever challenge at the higher end of the division, at least its sustainable and they play decent football along the way in a highly competitive division such as the Championship.

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:44 - Apr 11 with 3034 viewsBloomBlue

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 11:57 - Apr 11 by Herbivore

But the point is by disbanding their youth setup it saved them £3m a year, which they then used to change their scouting network.

That's an option to all clubs
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:45 - Apr 11 with 3026 viewsHerbivore

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:44 - Apr 11 by BloomBlue

But the point is by disbanding their youth setup it saved them £3m a year, which they then used to change their scouting network.

That's an option to all clubs

You don't need to disband the academy to scout properly.

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:55 - Apr 11 with 3005 viewsRadlett_blue

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:45 - Apr 11 by Herbivore

Although scouting also has a cost, if you do it properly. Used to be done by an ex-player who was happy to do it randomly for expenses. Doesn't work if you want to trawl the overseas leagues, where many bargains are there to be had, but I don't think that's Lambert's way, especially in League 1.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:56 - Apr 11 with 3004 viewsSuperfrans

Maupay, Watkins and Benrhama were all excellent last night, obviously better than anything we have.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:07 - Apr 11 with 2979 viewsTractorJack

It's a good point and it sums up the difference between the two clubs. Brentford had/have a proper strategy and a structure in place to achieve that. We've had neither.

Irrespective of chances created impacting goal tallies, Maupay is light years ahead of Jackson technically as well as intelligence/movement. AND he's 3 years younger.
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:09 - Apr 11 with 2972 viewsMullet

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:07 - Apr 11 by TractorJack

It's a good point and it sums up the difference between the two clubs. Brentford had/have a proper strategy and a structure in place to achieve that. We've had neither.

Irrespective of chances created impacting goal tallies, Maupay is light years ahead of Jackson technically as well as intelligence/movement. AND he's 3 years younger.

Well our strategy was to sign loads of League 1 talent who we could build a side around. It was a terrible one, but it was our strategy.

We're now left with three managers' players, three different eras and approaches, a load of loans and the kids between. This is what happens to clubs who don't know who or what they want to be, and ultimately end up collapsing.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:11 - Apr 11 with 2960 viewsCoastalblue

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:42 - Apr 11 by Kieran_Knows

True, maybe you could swap Nsiala for Edwards then, but yes, too many were signed and then just chucked in together. Brentford have it down to a tee and whilst they may not really ever challenge at the higher end of the division, at least its sustainable and they play decent football along the way in a highly competitive division such as the Championship.

We could be in that position and people on here would be moaning we have no ambition and are happy to just achieve mid table every season.

Whilst I hugely enjoyed a lot of it I do think our history weighs us down at times although I certainly wouldn't swap it and lose the memories of Robson's sides.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:14 - Apr 11 with 2953 viewsKieran_Knows

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:11 - Apr 11 by Coastalblue

We could be in that position and people on here would be moaning we have no ambition and are happy to just achieve mid table every season.

Whilst I hugely enjoyed a lot of it I do think our history weighs us down at times although I certainly wouldn't swap it and lose the memories of Robson's sides.

Again, true, but at least we may be a bit more sustainable and not relying on Evans having to put so much in every season to keep us afloat. It 'could' only take 1 freak season for everything to click for Brentford and for them to get promoted.

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:17 - Apr 11 with 2936 viewsSuperfrans

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:40 - Apr 11 by strikalite

Spot on post that...don't tell me that these young talented flair players aren't out there, it's been the case for a long while now that you need to cast your net overseas because even if they were available here they'd be way out our price range and in high demand..

It's incredible that we have no scouts of any number overseas now, think of players like Claus Thomsen, Gardsoe, Reuser, Taricco to name a few without even thinking....absolute quality..

The lack of overseas scouting was highlighted by Lambert as an issue at the London fans event earlier this year. I think he said we were looking to bring in at least one, maybe two scouts in Europe to supplement what we already have.

O'Neill also said we didn't have enough scouts on the ground generally and that we were looking to improve on that.

Indeed on 13:24 - Apr 11 with 2921 viewsDyland

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:09 - Apr 11 by Mullet

Well our strategy was to sign loads of League 1 talent who we could build a side around. It was a terrible one, but it was our strategy.

We're now left with three managers' players, three different eras and approaches, a load of loans and the kids between. This is what happens to clubs who don't know who or what they want to be, and ultimately end up collapsing.

Fooking ridiculous in the cold light of day.

I hope and pray Mr Lambert and his team hit the ground running in League 1.

I'm pretty much over the emotional reaction to relegation now (I had a moment of internal blubbery last night as the first half unfolded and I knew that this was really it; emphatically, no miracles, the end of the road this season) and now wait with a certain uneasy excitement to see what happens.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:26 - Apr 11 with 2914 viewschicoazul

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:17 - Apr 11 by Superfrans

The lack of overseas scouting was highlighted by Lambert as an issue at the London fans event earlier this year. I think he said we were looking to bring in at least one, maybe two scouts in Europe to supplement what we already have.

O'Neill also said we didn't have enough scouts on the ground generally and that we were looking to improve on that.

It's almost as if Evans is full of sht and does everything on the cheap isnt it?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:26 - Apr 11 with 2912 viewsKieran_Knows

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:17 - Apr 11 by Superfrans

Pathetic.

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:28 - Apr 11 with 2909 viewsRadlett_blue

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:26 - Apr 11 by chicoazul

It's almost as if Evans is full of sht and does everything on the cheap isnt it?

Evan's public defence is that he lets his managers manage & presumably neither Mick nor Hurst wanted more scouts or a better network.Again, the biggest & most consistent issue with Evans's tenure - the lack of a proper footballing structure.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:29 - Apr 11 with 2908 viewsBloomBlue

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 12:45 - Apr 11 by Herbivore

But scouts dont work for free, the Brentford model is based on paying the scouts to give them first and sole take on the players they find, and that does cost money.
Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:35 - Apr 11 with 2894 viewsSuperfrans

Maupay cost Brentford the same as Jackson cost us on 13:26 - Apr 11 by Kieran_Knows

Pathetic.

????

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024