Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... 13:42 - Dec 31 with 15628 viewsSuperfrans

For the first time, he seemed more exasperated than upbeat.

Pretty damning comments:
We need half a dozen in, including probably two strikers.
Jonas’s contract should never have been allowed to run down, should have been sorted out last summer.
Should never be in a situation of signing 8/9 players every year. It’s madness. It’s not normal.

It all seemed like the comments and body language of a man who is becoming impatient and fairly exasperated about where we are. That didn’t fill me with confidence about this coming month’s transfer dealings, I have to say...

Or am I reading between the lines too much...?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:23 - Dec 31 with 3775 viewsSuperfrans

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:15 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

Frans, wasn't 18Mill our budget last season?

I can't see it being that high this season.

It was, yes. Announced just before Xmas.

It was £17.8m the previous season (16-17), £16.5m in 15-16. Even if you use the latter figure as the base, you’re still talking about £5m off that.

If Bart is our highest paid player on £20k pw, that’s only £1m of that. Knudsen maybe £500k. Just cant see where the rest can come from.

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:24 - Dec 31 with 3771 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:18 - Dec 31 by footers

I know you're TWTD's doom-merchant-in-chief, but how about waiting to see what happens rather than a pre-emptive blub over what you suppose might happen?

Evans doesn't want us to slip into League One. We'll see what he can pull off (Lambert's appointment being a key point; if he had no ambition we would have a L1 manager by now, saving ME a few quid in the process).

"TWTD's doom-merchant-in-chief," how so exactly?

Lambert addition doesn't mean anything without support. We could have hired Sir Alex for this squad but he wouldn't stop us going down.

And how's any reply on this thread a pre-emptive blub, wasn't the point of the OP was how Lambert didn't sound right this week.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:26 - Dec 31 with 3764 viewsagentp

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:20 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

You're on the right path with that

Think. You've got around 1 Mill to spend on a house
Do you go for one that is struggling but in a nice area, needs a lot of extra money spent on it, needs a new roof, new flooring and subsidence issues, just to keep it standing but in a nice area total cost of £3 Mill, no plot of land to do anything with and no additional space to build any extensions.

Or, buy a house that's £500k, doesn't need a lot of work done to it to make it liveable, spend an extra 500k on decorations and odd jobs and you've saved yourself 2 mill, whilst making something that potentially in years to come could have a higher resale value with lots of land available to buy when needed to add more value to the plot

But ME is a seller not a buyer.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:28 - Dec 31 with 3755 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:23 - Dec 31 by RegencyBlue

We can’t hang on to our young players now with potentially good prospects being poached from the Academy before they near the first team. Being in League 1 isn’t going to make that any better for a start!

Less expenditure maybe, but a lot less income as well. Aside from the immediate £7 million hit what will happen to season ticket sales?

I think in effect we end up in exactly the same situation in League 1 as we have in the Championship but worth less.

Slightly worrying as we aren’t worth much now!
[Post edited 31 Dec 2018 14:25]

But we are hanging on to them, Dozzell, Ndyam, Woolfy, Morris, etc

One of two have left, but we still have a raft coming through

And I can imagine the likes of the above all being able to handle league 1 football a lot better than championship

Waka waka eh eh

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:29 - Dec 31 with 3745 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:26 - Dec 31 by agentp

But ME is a seller not a buyer.

Correct

What I'm saying is, the club is a better buying proposition when in league 1, than it currently is in the championship.

And IF there's no transfer backup in this window, I feel evans feels the same way.

Waka waka eh eh

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:30 - Dec 31 with 3752 viewsOxford_Blue

Yes I thought that too, mainly towards the end.

It was implicitly critical of Evans, and his management team, and PL is clearly frustrated that not only can he not get players to come here, he’s also going to lose the few half decent ones we still have.

I’ve been patient with Evans and critical of some of the rather ignorant and hysterical allegations made by a minority about him. However, I have to say that if he won’t give PL even reasonable support to bring in new players at this time, he is almost consigning the club to relegation.
That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:30 - Dec 31 with 3741 viewsSuperfrans

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:20 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

You're on the right path with that

Think. You've got around 1 Mill to spend on a house
Do you go for one that is struggling but in a nice area, needs a lot of extra money spent on it, needs a new roof, new flooring and subsidence issues, just to keep it standing but in a nice area total cost of £3 Mill, no plot of land to do anything with and no additional space to build any extensions.

Or, buy a house that's £500k, doesn't need a lot of work done to it to make it liveable, spend an extra 500k on decorations and odd jobs and you've saved yourself 2 mill, whilst making something that potentially in years to come could have a higher resale value with lots of land available to buy when needed to add more value to the plot

The flaw here is that you still live in the same house. You can’t change the building (you’re spending little on upkeep as it is), so many of your fixed costs remain unchangable.

You can either close down sections of the business (the academy), of reducing your admin costs (scale down the shop, close bars on match day) but that risks affecting the operations of the business and income generation.

Players will fall into both categories. Some will be effectively fixed, because they are contracted for multiple years, others will be more flexible (players come to the end of their contracts etc).

If Evans decides to reduce costs by £7-8m (which will still leave him having to cover a £5/6m loss) we’re looking at a very different football club.

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:31 - Dec 31 with 3735 viewsnshearman1

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:29 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

Correct

What I'm saying is, the club is a better buying proposition when in league 1, than it currently is in the championship.

And IF there's no transfer backup in this window, I feel evans feels the same way.

What a complete and utter mess this club is in.
Login to get fewer ads

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:31 - Dec 31 with 3741 viewsRegencyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:28 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

But we are hanging on to them, Dozzell, Ndyam, Woolfy, Morris, etc

One of two have left, but we still have a raft coming through

And I can imagine the likes of the above all being able to handle league 1 football a lot better than championship

And when Evans decides to asset strip the squad as he has done in the past?

I just don’t see League 1 being anything other than a complete disaster for us, at least with Evans as owner anyway.
That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:33 - Dec 31 with 3730 viewsSuperfrans

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:30 - Dec 31 by Oxford_Blue

Yes I thought that too, mainly towards the end.

It was implicitly critical of Evans, and his management team, and PL is clearly frustrated that not only can he not get players to come here, he’s also going to lose the few half decent ones we still have.

I’ve been patient with Evans and critical of some of the rather ignorant and hysterical allegations made by a minority about him. However, I have to say that if he won’t give PL even reasonable support to bring in new players at this time, he is almost consigning the club to relegation.

This is where I am right now.

Of course, things can change very quickly. Beat Millwall and Rotherham and we’re on the up. That could encourage players to join us who might otherwise have not fancied it. Suddenly things look very different.

Fingers crossed.

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:35 - Dec 31 with 3716 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:31 - Dec 31 by RegencyBlue

And when Evans decides to asset strip the squad as he has done in the past?

I just don’t see League 1 being anything other than a complete disaster for us, at least with Evans as owner anyway.

That's why part of me thinks the Evans won't be too fussed if we go down, it'll make it easier for him to get rid of

No one will by this club in the championship. It will take Millions - one to cover the debt, 2 to then compete. IF a person has that amount of cash available, they will buy prem club or a city club, not a small town club in East Anglia.

League 1, he prob might get some of his debt back, not all, but the person buying it won't then have to spend another £30-40 mill to compete in the league.

Waka waka eh eh

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:35 - Dec 31 with 3721 viewsRegencyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:18 - Dec 31 by jjblue84

What has he realised that he didn't know when he joined??

Who knows?

Maybe he thought he had promises for funding which haven’t materialised, maybe he’s just realising the enormity of what he is being expected to achieve with minimal resources.

Whatever, he was very different in his manner today.
That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:39 - Dec 31 with 3701 viewsPinewoodblue

If memory serves me well Jonas raised the subject of.a new contract in the summer and was publication put down by Hurst who stated he was used to negotiating new contracts after the season was over. In hindsight this was one of the early indications that Hurst was out of his depth.

It really is a shame Evans didn't realise earlier that he had made the wrong appointment.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:46 - Dec 31 with 3672 viewschicoazul

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:09 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

It's not more or less valued in league one than It is now, Even more potentially a more attractive asset in league one than in the championship.

Lower wage bill, less expense, hot future prospects, long term contracts on young players. Might take a few years but potential is there

Championship needs immediate financial input just to survice as we are seeing.
League one, easier to survive in with much less outlay

If he wanted us in League 1 he would have kept Mini Roy who was doing a marvellous job of getting us there. You're mad if you think we are "worth" the same in L1 as the Championship.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:51 - Dec 31 with 3658 viewschicoazul

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:39 - Dec 31 by Pinewoodblue

If memory serves me well Jonas raised the subject of.a new contract in the summer and was publication put down by Hurst who stated he was used to negotiating new contracts after the season was over. In hindsight this was one of the early indications that Hurst was out of his depth.

It really is a shame Evans didn't realise earlier that he had made the wrong appointment.

It's not like Evans has form for letting valuable players contracts run down and have them leave for nothing is it?

Oh...

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:55 - Dec 31 with 3624 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:46 - Dec 31 by chicoazul

If he wanted us in League 1 he would have kept Mini Roy who was doing a marvellous job of getting us there. You're mad if you think we are "worth" the same in L1 as the Championship.

Depends

Evans having no real football experience probably thought Lambert would come in, turn the fortunes around immediately. BUT now we're in a position that without a fair bit of money being spent in Jan we are facing league 1, it's inevitable unless money and a lot of money is spent next month.

So, yes this window will tell us all a lot of Evans real plans for ITFC.

Spend and he wants us to stay up
Don't spend and he's happy to see us down

Waka waka eh eh

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:58 - Dec 31 with 3620 viewsEwan_Oozami

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:29 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

Correct

It's a Catch 22 for Evans at the moment

1. If he invests big to keep us up and maybe get somewhere near the play offs next season - the club gets more expensive to sell, but his outgoings increase. But the club does become more attractive if it's anywhere near getting promoted but would he want to anyway because if he did, and the next season we got promoted to the Premier League he misses out.

2. But if he doesn't invest and we go down, his outlay goes down, and a sale may be more likely as the club will be cheaper, but then he can wait, because his outgoings to the club have reduced.

3. From Evans' point of view if he invests big in January on loans and we still go down he'll still have Option 2

Post edited because I realised I'd written rubbish first time round!
[Post edited 31 Dec 2018 15:01]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:05 - Dec 31 with 3607 viewsGavTWTD

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:09 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

It's not more or less valued in league one than It is now, Even more potentially a more attractive asset in league one than in the championship.

Lower wage bill, less expense, hot future prospects, long term contracts on young players. Might take a few years but potential is there

Championship needs immediate financial input just to survice as we are seeing.
League one, easier to survive in with much less outlay

Lower wage bill? Ah so all the players that are currently contracted automatically have their contracts downgraded to a level that is average to the league they're in? Ah that's a bonus. Didn't know that. Less expense? Well at least the police bill will be lower, but then there will be no TV money.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:06 - Dec 31 with 3597 viewschicoazul

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:55 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

Depends

Evans having no real football experience probably thought Lambert would come in, turn the fortunes around immediately. BUT now we're in a position that without a fair bit of money being spent in Jan we are facing league 1, it's inevitable unless money and a lot of money is spent next month.

So, yes this window will tell us all a lot of Evans real plans for ITFC.

Spend and he wants us to stay up
Don't spend and he's happy to see us down

What are you on about? Evans has been in football or over a decade.

If he doesnt spend it may be because he cant afford it or couldnt get the players they wanted.

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:06 - Dec 31 with 3587 viewsHerbivore

Correct

There is no way we're a better prospect for a buyer in League 1 than in the Championship. Just think about it for more than about 2 seconds.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:08 - Dec 31 with 3579 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:05 - Dec 31 by GavTWTD

Lower wage bill? Ah so all the players that are currently contracted automatically have their contracts downgraded to a level that is average to the league they're in? Ah that's a bonus. Didn't know that. Less expense? Well at least the police bill will be lower, but then there will be no TV money.

Aren't there 9 players out of contract in the summer? that's a starting point

Then you'll have the ones who other clubs would fancy still, the Barts, Dozzells, Lankesters,

Close off parts of the stadium, reduces policing, steward costs, hospitality etc

Yes we lose TV money, but cuts will be made throughout the club.

Waka waka eh eh

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:09 - Dec 31 with 3569 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:06 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

There is no way we're a better prospect for a buyer in League 1 than in the Championship. Just think about it for more than about 2 seconds.

I have and I've explained why in this thread

Waka waka eh eh

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:10 - Dec 31 with 3561 viewsFrimleyBlue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:06 - Dec 31 by chicoazul

What are you on about? Evans has been in football or over a decade.

If he doesnt spend it may be because he cant afford it or couldnt get the players they wanted.

He's owned a football club yes, been involved in, no

Waka waka eh eh

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:11 - Dec 31 with 3554 viewsPinewoodblue

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 14:58 - Dec 31 by Ewan_Oozami

It's a Catch 22 for Evans at the moment

1. If he invests big to keep us up and maybe get somewhere near the play offs next season - the club gets more expensive to sell, but his outgoings increase. But the club does become more attractive if it's anywhere near getting promoted but would he want to anyway because if he did, and the next season we got promoted to the Premier League he misses out.

2. But if he doesn't invest and we go down, his outlay goes down, and a sale may be more likely as the club will be cheaper, but then he can wait, because his outgoings to the club have reduced.

3. From Evans' point of view if he invests big in January on loans and we still go down he'll still have Option 2

Post edited because I realised I'd written rubbish first time round!
[Post edited 31 Dec 2018 15:01]

Think you need to edit it again.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:11 - Dec 31 with 3554 viewschicoazul

That seemed a pretty exasperated Lambert to me... on 15:10 - Dec 31 by FrimleyBlue

He's owned a football club yes, been involved in, no

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024