Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? 13:07 - Nov 30 with 11831 viewsmarcus1642

Just a bit of conjecture on my behalf. I would say about the same really.
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:57 - Nov 30 with 2651 viewsRadlett_blue

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:38 - Nov 30 by monytowbray

Quite. Plus the only time the land or a stadium a football club owns is going going to be considered as a sellable asset is the point the club's up sh1t creek. Owners buy clubs for football money, not land money in the event everything goes wrong.

Untrue, actually. Several lower league clubs have had their grounds sold from under them by unscrupulous owners, notably Brighton & Hove Albion.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:59 - Nov 30 with 2644 viewsclive_baker

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:40 - Nov 30 by marcus1642

That's the problem with intangible assets. The value is in the eyes of an accountant and 'worth' is open to interpretation.

Yes, notoriously difficult to value and the essence of this discussion which there's no right answer to. It is however incorrect to say the club has no assets. The business has a small amount of tangible fixed assets as well as intangibles. Someone if they so wished could buy the club and sell off Dozzell, Knudsen, Bart at the next window.

The club is definitely worth less now than it was 6 months ago though that's for sure.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:59 - Nov 30 with 2643 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:54 - Nov 30 by PhilTWTD

Not sure I see that, the facility is somewhat important to running a club going forward!

Surely it's not got a market value though? Even if we do own the stadium, we couldn't sell it on it's own?
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:00 - Nov 30 with 2647 viewsPhilTWTD

BTW, re Bolton, Ken Anderson, their chairman, was the other party interested in taking over - or at least acting as an intermediary in a takeover - at Town when ME took charge. Was mentioned at the EGM. (search for Ken Anderson in the below)

EGM Seals Evans Takeover 18th Dec 2007 00:48
Marcus Evans's takeover of Town was formally ratified by the club's shareholders at Monday evening's EGM. The proposal for Evans to take a 87.5% stake in the club received the support of 98.4% of the club's shareholding. 0

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:02 - Nov 30 with 2632 viewsPhilTWTD

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:59 - Nov 30 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Surely it's not got a market value though? Even if we do own the stadium, we couldn't sell it on it's own?

It could be sold to another company taking control of the club, so there is a value in that scenario.
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:05 - Nov 30 with 2620 viewsmarcus1642

An opening bid of £30 million would be a plausable amount, and I think Evans would be tempted.

I'll keep playing the Euro millions.

I can see the headlines now:

"Fat bloke from Cornwall buys Ipswich"
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:08 - Nov 30 with 2610 viewsLord_Lucan

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:26 - Nov 30 by marcus1642

We don't own our ground, rented from Ipswich borough council, our training facilities are owned by Evans, not the football club.

Our only assets are the players.

Personally I think it's good that we don't own the land that the ground is on otherwise ME would have probably sold us by now and moved us to Foxhall.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:09 - Nov 30 with 2606 viewsNuggets

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:31 - Nov 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

The ground / stadium does have an asset value.

We have it on a long lease, and pay a relatively low ground rent.

I also suspect that any deal would include buying the training ground from ME.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 13:32]

I've heard from a few people that there was strong interest from a Norwegian consortium looking to buy the club recently, and that they actually entered serious discussions with Evans. To the extent that representatives were shown around the facilities.

Apparently, the deal was scuppered because Evans wanted to retain ownership of Playford Road.

Blog: Disappointing Result, But Can Some of Us Drop the Sense of Entitlement?

Login to get fewer ads

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:09 - Nov 30 with 2604 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:05 - Nov 30 by marcus1642

An opening bid of £30 million would be a plausable amount, and I think Evans would be tempted.

Don't forget the £30m a year afterwards needed to cover the costs and make us competitive on the pitch
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:09 - Nov 30 with 2603 viewsclive_baker

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:05 - Nov 30 by marcus1642

I would wait 6 months, you'll get it cheaper.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:10 - Nov 30 with 2604 viewsGavTWTD

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21752/

You're welcome. Must be a Cornish team somewhere near you.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:11 - Nov 30 with 2594 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:29 - Nov 30 by clive_baker

Correct. So the intangible assets aren't worthless.

Very close to worthless though!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:16 - Nov 30 with 2585 viewsLeagueOne

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:21 - Nov 30 by marcus1642

I think Evans stated in a rare interview, that he has had offers, but they did not reflect the "true value" of the football club.

When we are relegated we will be worth evan less. On a financial level, Evans must be getting deeply concerned at our plight.

He would be smart to sell now and write off the debt, he's lost what an additional £60mil owning the club over the last decade, and likely thats going to double if he keeps onto it for a similar time frame unless he employs Blackpool style cuts to the budget which I am sure not even he's willing to do - if he sold for 25-30mil thats half of what he's lost (not including any of the interest ME group has made owning the debt), not bad considering the state of things. To be a top club these days you have to be spending that kind of money just to be in the bottom end of the Prem.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:20 - Nov 30 with 2577 viewsGeoffSentence

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:29 - Nov 30 by clive_baker

Correct. So the intangible assets aren't worthless.

Weeeeellllll....you say that.....

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:41 - Nov 30 with 2555 viewsmarcus1642

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:10 - Nov 30 by GavTWTD

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21752/

You're welcome. Must be a Cornish team somewhere near you.

Thanks for that Gav. Will look into it.
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:42 - Nov 30 with 2549 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:09 - Nov 30 by Nuggets

I've heard from a few people that there was strong interest from a Norwegian consortium looking to buy the club recently, and that they actually entered serious discussions with Evans. To the extent that representatives were shown around the facilities.

Apparently, the deal was scuppered because Evans wanted to retain ownership of Playford Road.

Highly doubtful.

If ME wants rid of the albatross, I'm sure he would sell the training ground. He could include overage clauses etc.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:45 - Nov 30 with 2543 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:57 - Nov 30 by Radlett_blue

Untrue, actually. Several lower league clubs have had their grounds sold from under them by unscrupulous owners, notably Brighton & Hove Albion.

If the freehold was sold by the council, it wouldnt affect the club. The lease has another 50 years to run.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:46 - Nov 30 with 2543 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:38 - Nov 30 by monytowbray

Quite. Plus the only time the land or a stadium a football club owns is going going to be considered as a sellable asset is the point the club's up sh1t creek. Owners buy clubs for football money, not land money in the event everything goes wrong.

Youve not come across Gold and Sullivan? ;-)

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? (n/t) on 14:47 - Nov 30 with 2543 viewsmarcus1642

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:09 - Nov 30 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Don't forget the £30m a year afterwards needed to cover the costs and make us competitive on the pitch

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:47 - Nov 30 with 2540 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Either way, the OP's point that we are not attractive due to the ownership structure of our ground is not valid.

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:47 - Nov 30 with 2540 viewsKeno

Evans would have to pay me more than that to take over the club

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:54 - Nov 30 with 2530 viewsmarcus1642

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:09 - Nov 30 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Yes indeed, I haven't forgotten the on going costs. I will need to employ a VERY good chief executive. A proper real football person with good contacts.
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 15:00 - Nov 30 with 2523 viewsRegencyBlue

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 14:08 - Nov 30 by Lord_Lucan

Personally I think it's good that we don't own the land that the ground is on otherwise ME would have probably sold us by now and moved us to Foxhall.

I seem to recall Evans did try to buy the land from the Council at one point but there was a reason they wouldnt sell to him.

Cant remember what it was although I dont think it was just down to money.
Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 15:19 - Nov 30 with 2492 viewsSteve_M

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 13:13 - Nov 30 by IpswichKnight

Around 25M. ME has had offers in the region of 20M and turned them down.

He wants £30-35 at the moment apparently. It's why relegation would be disastrous for him as he won't get closer to that in Division 3.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bolton Wanderers up for sale for £30 million. What price for Ipswich? on 16:04 - Nov 30 with 2470 viewsArnieM

Does anyone know how much debt Bolton has attached to it? The last I’d heard a few seasons ago, was something ridiculous like £180m . Don’t know how true this is, or if it’s still the case.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024